PDA

View Full Version : more thugs brawl on the field

Emerson1
10-19-2006, 06:52 PM
Dartmouth vs. Holy Cross!!!

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/football/ncaa/10/19/dartmouth.apology.ap/index.html
Dartmouth apologizes for brawl
Hanover police continue to investigate ugly incident
Posted: Thursday October 19, 2006 3:14PM; Updated: Thursday October 19, 2006 3:36PM

HANOVER, N.H. (AP) -- The Dartmouth athletic department and football team apologized for the fight that broke out at the end of its game with Holy Cross last weekend as the college and police continued to investigate the incident.

After winning in overtime, Holy Cross players celebrated atop the Dartmouth "D" painted on the field, and fights broke out when the teams lined up for post-game handshakes. Some players were thrown to the ground and kicked. Coaches, campus security and Hanover police broke it up. No one was hurt.

"It is obvious that many players and some staff of both teams were involved in this incident," athletic director Jo Ann Harper said Thursday. But she said she was not able to identify specific participants.

"Coach (Buddy) Teevens, his staff and his players have acknowledged that the actions displayed Saturday were not in keeping with acceptable standards of behavior at Dartmouth, nor with the great traditions of Dartmouth football and Dartmouth athletics in general," Harper said. "They join me in apologizing to the Dartmouth community, the Holy Cross community and the public."

The game wasn't televised and the fight so unexpected and short that the cameraman filming the game for Dartmouth caught only the end.

Police Chief Nicholas Giaccone has said the video hasn't been very useful. He said punches were thrown, but he's relying more on memory than video.

"For me to say what an individual person was doing ... there was too much going on," he said.

Harper said she has concluded her investigation and turned information over to Dartmouth's dean for review.

Acting Dean Daniel Nelson says if his review finds sanctions are warranted against individuals or the team under Dartmouth's standards of conduct, the matter will be handled through the normal disciplinary process.

Holy Cross will not discipline its players, sports information director Charles Bare said.

"We did not see anything from any Holy Cross players that warranted disciplinary action," Bare told the Boston Herald.

Copyright 2006 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

mwynn05
10-19-2006, 07:30 PM
I know someone that plays for Dartmouth....I wonder if he was involved

coach
10-19-2006, 07:43 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I know someone that plays for Dartmouth....I wonder if he was involved

i just messaged brian on myspace lol i asked him if he hit anyone with his helmet

mwynn05
10-19-2006, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by coach
i just messaged brian on myspace lol i asked him if he hit anyone with his helmet lol...I thought he was gonna fight jeremy collins when we played them in basketball in Mexia his sr year...but they were best friends which my have been why they were so intense

coach
10-19-2006, 08:53 PM
i think brian realized jeremy would have whopped him

mwynn05
10-20-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by coach
i think brian realized jeremy would have whopped him lol yah that was probably some of it too

AggieJohn
10-20-2006, 09:59 AM
In IVY league they call it a "duel"