PDA

View Full Version : Cards Vs. Mets

Bull19
10-19-2006, 04:24 PM
WHO DO YOU THINK WINS THIS BIG GAME 7?

g$$
10-19-2006, 04:27 PM
Mets - & I think it is fairly high scoring tonight - say 8-6 final.

Detroit wins the WS either way. Too much pitching & all kinds of momentum on their side.

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:29 PM
will the 6 day layoff ruin their momentum?

carter08
10-19-2006, 04:29 PM
Mets will win
Tiger win World Series
Bud Selig gets hit by a foul ball and is forced to retire

Hey, we can only hope :D

SWMustang
10-19-2006, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Mets - & I think it is fairly high scoring tonight - say 8-6 final.

Detroit wins the WS either way. Too much pitching & all kinds of momentum on their side.

Oliver Perez is starting for the Mets? I have a hard time giving them the edge. Since Suppan pitched great his last time out he's due for a stinker tonight. Your high scoring prediction might come true, but I still have to take the Cards in this one.

Bull19
10-19-2006, 04:38 PM
METS WIN BY 2 ,, LATE INNING COME BACK

g$$
10-19-2006, 04:43 PM
Believe me, I am not basing my prediction on Oliver Perez doing well. He does have good stuff though, just has trouble throwing strikes. He was once thought of as a can't miss prospect w/ the Pirates.

Suppan is a soft tosser & he did beat Clemens 2 years ago in a Game 7. I see a high scoring game & the bullpens decide it. That favors the Mets.

Detroit will shake off the rust & it will begin in their home park too. I am sure Leyland has them hitting against live arms this week too to regain their timing. Hitting is all timing. The rest has also allowed them to get healthy (Casey, etc.). I just don't see either NL team beating the Tigers in a 7 game series. Too much pitching for the Tigers & riding a wave just like the White Sox last year.

Maroon87
10-19-2006, 09:06 PM
I think I just saw the greatest catch in NLCS history...:clap:

kaorder1999
10-19-2006, 10:21 PM
wow...big time for hit in the 9th

GreenMonster
10-19-2006, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hitting is all timing.

I disagree. Strongly disagree actually. If it is all timing then anyone could do it. Hitting is getting the bat in the right position to make good contact. Not just contact, good contact with the good part of the bat. It takes phenomenal hand, eye coordination and mental capacity to hit a 99mph fastball that moves 4-6 inches from it's original path to point of impact ( a mere 60ft 6in distance, actually shorter if you consider the actual release point). A hiter has a quarter of a second to decide whether to swing the bat or not and another quarter of a second to get that bat into the exact position that it needs to be in to make this good contact. That is EXTREME muscle control. Baseball players and pro golfers are the most finely tuned athletes in the world.

Pudlugger
10-19-2006, 10:52 PM
Let's get bigger bats like they did in tennis so slow guys like me can hit too!:D

Sweetwater96
10-20-2006, 09:44 AM
Way to go Cardinals! Loved the game and what a dramatic 9th inning!

gobbler grad
10-20-2006, 09:48 AM
:( and I was pulling for the Mets...great game though, and Suppan was just that damn good last night...

g$$
10-20-2006, 02:01 PM
Green Monster: I was referring to hitters regaining their timing after a few days off (...Detroit). I love baseball & respect the skill & hand/eye coordination it requires. I played baseball in college so you don't have to sell me on its merits. I have heard people say baseball players are not athletes...was the catch by LF Chavez athletic last night? SS & OF are most certainly athletes, while some positions are not as much so. They all have tremendous skill, much like golfers who perform at a high level. Great game that requires thinking & strategy too. Love it!

Old baseball axiom though: hitting is timing & pitching is disrupting that timing. That's why pitchers like Glavine, Suppan, Maddux, etc. continue to get people out by changing speeds & moving the ball around the zone. And why 1 pitch flame-throwers get hit if they have nothing else to go with it. Hitters at that level will catch up to only heat. Hard & straight gets hit hard & far!! Ask Billy Wagner when he can't get his slider over for strikes, or Brad Lidge too. Hard throwers have more margin for error, while soft tossers must have great command. Suppan did last night for sure.

I admit I was wrong on my prediction for the Mets to win. Suppan was outstanding, & the Mets flat did not hit much in the series other than 1 game. I thought it would come down to the bullpens & home field. It did not. Randolph should be questioned for not bunting the runners over in the 9th & playing for the 2 runs to tie. Hitting a hobbled Cliff Lee was very questionable too. He was hoping for a long ball to win it, but the odds of getting a bunt down & then a hit to tie the game are much better. Plus Lee can't run if he hits a ground ball (Achilles problem), & the field & ball were wet too on fielding a bunt, making the throw. I would have sac bunted right there, w/ Reyes & LoDuca coming up next.

Just glad neither NY team is in it personally. Shows the highest payroll does not always win. Still say Detroit wins it all.