PDA

View Full Version : does anyone think that wylie can win

ballhog65
11-20-2002, 02:01 PM
does anyone here think that wylie can beat big bad everman b/c i think they can and i think they will!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

FryDayFBFun
11-20-2002, 02:07 PM
Ball, at this stage in the year, anyone is able to get beat on any given day or night. Having gotten to see Everman play, Wylie better bring their A+ game, Everman looks better than last year. But like i said, anything can happen so good luck to both !! should be a great game !!

wildstangs
11-20-2002, 02:07 PM
I think Wylie could win. But they will have to bring their best game. I am going with Everman by 14.

bleedgreen
11-20-2002, 04:59 PM
I think I can jump off a 100 story building and not hurt myself........if I have a parachute on.
Wylie can think they can beat Everman.......if Benton, Harrell, Miller and Jennings all break a leg within 2 minutes after the game starts.

vet93
11-20-2002, 05:23 PM
Sure I do...anything can happen on a given weekend. My head tells me that Wylie's chances are slim, my heart tells me that they have a good shot. I haven't decided which to believe yet. Wylie did play a pretty tough preseason schedule and were beaten by two solid teams in Sweetwater and Aledo...on the other hand they only scored 18 and 24 points respectively against two teams that are not considered very good (early and Brady). Wylie will have and I repeat have to find a way to move the football consistently in this game. If they pull a bunch of 3 and outs I don't think that they can withstand a constant onslaught of the Everman offensive machine.

Titans
11-20-2002, 05:39 PM
I'm with everyone else...they can, but all the stars have to be in alignment.

Something happened to those Everman boys after the Kennedale game. Don't know what it was, but something.

How many points has Everman given up since that game? I don't really care if it's against their 2nd or 3rd teams, just total points allowed since Kennedale?

I pick Everman....and BIG

bulldog65
11-20-2002, 05:45 PM
In the 7 games since the loss to Kennedale, Everman has given up 14 pts. Both late 4th quarter scores, 7 against Godley and 7 against Castleberry.

<small>[ November 20, 2002, 04:46 PM: Message edited by: bulldog65 ]</small>

rholl
11-20-2002, 05:49 PM
Yes Wylie can win.....noone can be overlooked at this point...or you go home!!!!
Good Luck Bulldogs...the Everman kind!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owen B
11-20-2002, 05:54 PM
Titans
Something happened to those Everman boys after the Kennedale game. Don't know what it was, but something.Kennedale woke up the giant.

"I fear that we have awakened a sleeping giant
and filled him with a terrible resolve"

Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
Empire of Japan
December 7th, 1941

vet93
11-20-2002, 06:43 PM
First I want to preface these remarks by saying that I think that Everman is one of the best teams in the state and they are solid offensively and defensively. However...lets take a look at the district teams other than Kennedale and how well they did against non-district opponents. Of the six teams their combined record was 2 and 16. This includes losses to 7, 2a squads (only one of these squads is still in the 2a playoffs = Hico). These include at least two losses to these 2a opponents of greater than 30 points. Everman's biggest liability right now is their own district (not of their choosing). Yes, they are a great team but using those teams as your basis for comparison does them a great disservice. There are a number of teams in the state that would post similar numbers against those opponents that you have mentioned.

bulldog65:
In the 7 games since the loss to Kennedale, Everman has given up 14 pts. Both late 4th quarter scores, 7 against Godley and 7 against Castleberry.

evebulldog01
11-20-2002, 07:30 PM
Hey I agree our District was pretty bad but as you pointed out that wasn't by our choosing. So throw that out and look at our three predistrict games. Two 4A's and a 6A out of Oklahoma who is in the playoffs. Scores for thoose games Everman 49-0 over 4A Eastern Hills 42-33 over 6A Lawton Eisenhower and 35-7 Over 4A Crowely.

redraider
11-20-2002, 07:50 PM
Vet, I agree with you about Everman's district, but like you said they didn't choose it. Now you've got to look at your own district. Early, Brady, Comanche, and Clyde. Ballinger is the Kennedale/Everman of the district, and west Texas doesn't have the metroplex speed. I pick Everman.

Jacket2000
11-20-2002, 08:04 PM
Ive seen both teams play, and unless Everman shoots themselves in the foot several times, this game could get ugly, real quick!
J2K

wildcat834
11-20-2002, 08:15 PM
There is no chance of Wylie winning. The only thing they might be able to do is keep them under sixty points. Everman is going to destroy the Wylie boys. They have a pretty easy run until they reach the region 2 team, whoever that may be.

vet93
11-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Hey guys...before you jump on to me too bad...I was just giving you some insight into the teams that Bulldog65 was using to make a point about Everman. I don't disagree with your points and I stated from the beginning that I thought that Everman was one of the best teams in the state. I also made a point that their district schedule was not of their choosing. Red raider...in regards to the other teams in Wylie's district I uderstand your point. However I think that Clyde and Comanche would fair pretty well if they were playing Venus, Godley, Castleberry, Fw DHJ and maybe even Glen Rose. Go to the Datapoll and do some of the comparisons of the common opponents and you may see where I am coming from. You can never make direct comparisons using the who beat who logic, but you can make some good generalizations.

bulldog65
11-20-2002, 08:35 PM
[QUOTE]How many points has Everman given up since that game? I don't really care if it's against their 2nd or 3rd teams, just total points allowed since Kennedale?[QUOTE/]

Hey I wasn't making a point, I just answered a question from a previous poster. You are right, we have no control over our District, but non District foes 4A Eastern Hills,4A Crowely, and 6A Lawton Ike all made the playoffs last year. Who knew they would have the kind of seasons they would have? There are not very many 4A schools willing to play us.

<small>[ November 20, 2002, 07:40 PM: Message edited by: bulldog65 ]</small>

vet93
11-20-2002, 08:47 PM
bulldog65...you are right...it wasn't your argument it was "titans". Sorry to misinterpret. Of course, I don't even know why I am even arguing any of these points. I already know that Everman is a great team and why does it matter if they win by 70 or 50...the result (complete domination) is the same. To you Everman fans...don't think that I am trying to run down your team. I just thought that looking at the statistics that Titan was bringing up was not a good comparison. Please accept my apology and good luck Saturday!

bulldog65:
[QUOTE]How many points has Everman given up since that game? I don't really care if it's against their 2nd or 3rd teams, just total points allowed since Kennedale?[QUOTE/]

Hey I wasn't making a point, I just answered a question from a previous poster. You are right, we have no control over our District, but non District foes 4A Eastern Hills,4A Crowely, and 6A Lawton Ike all made the playoffs last year. Who knew they would have the kind of seasons they would have? There are not very many 4A schools willing to play us.

whsfan
11-20-2002, 09:19 PM
Hey Jacket 2000,

I was just curious. Which Wylie game did you see?

Jacket2000:
Ive seen both teams play, and unless Everman shoots themselves in the foot several times, this game could get ugly, real quick!
J2K

VWG
11-21-2002, 03:22 AM
Wylie has a shot. Everman hasn't come up against any good teams since they played Kennedale. Lake Dallas limped into the playoffs.
Everman is an excellent team. They have all the talent in the world. I feel like a lot of this game's outcome (for Wylie) rests on a couple of factors.
1) Wylie's defensive line.
2) Wylie's QB play.
Wylie has good size on both sides of the ball, but to slow down the offense of Everman it will be up to the Wylie D-line to control the line of scrimmage. If they can do this then it will free up the linebackers to pursue and make tackles. Notice I said "slow down" the offense. Wylie will not shut out Everman, but to win this game their defense will have to hold Everman under 24 pts.
Wylie's QB missed several open receivers against Graham in round 1. Sandifer can put together the gameplan, but the Wylie offense must execute it perfectly to pull off the upset. This will mean the Wylie QB must hit open receivers and make good decisions with the ball. Wylie needs to pass and run effectively. This will keep Everman off balance.
Wylie has a chance.... just like Kennedale did earlier this year. They have to play mistake free football and come up with some big defensive stops.
Good luck to both teams.

ClydeFan
11-21-2002, 10:26 AM
Oh, I think it is possible that Wylie "can" win, (and hope they do) but it would definitely be a huge upset. Everman obviously has an outstanding team and has a good shot at the state title. Those of us familiar with Wylie know their talent at winning close games. If Wylie can get some breaks early and get a quick lead... then anything could happen.

Matthew328
11-21-2002, 10:37 AM
You guys are all correct in your thoughts...it is quite true that Everman hasn't really faced a good team since Kennedale..you could say Glen Rose was OK, they did give Decatur a game for a while..but other than that they played no one of significance..but these seniors have been through the wars..they have now played in the past 3 years 40 games...that is like a whole extra season..they know what they are up against this week and that is a very good team from Wylie..the lines will be the key..last time these 2 met Wylie's D line controlled the Everman O-Line and kept EHS from moving the ball consistently..if that happens again Everman could have trouble..BUT there is a BIG difference now..in 2000 Everman had a sophmore running back who is now a senior..and also in 2000 Everman had a QB who didn't run well and who if pressured usually took the sack..now Everman has a QB who is a double threat..especially on the option..BUT if the game is close I'll be really nervous becuase Wylie has a knack for winning the close ones..

FanMan
11-21-2002, 11:25 AM
All of you guys are correct. Everman has not played a tough schedule and this is not the most talented team Wylie has ever put on the field. But something this Wylie team has is "heart". I admitt I doubted them against Graham after their performance against Ballinger. However, they have proved me wrong. This is a great Everman team we will be facing but I think the game will be close. I am predicting a Wylie win based on special teams. I think both offenses and defenses are pretty evenly matched as well as the coaching staff. However, Wylie doens't treat speacial teams as something that you have to do as part of the game. I think that this is an area that Wylie can exploit Everman and make them pay. Wylie will win but not by much. Good luck to both teams.

pero chato
11-21-2002, 11:29 AM
I agree with Matthew328 about the experience being a major factor. Aside from Everman's obvious talent, that is their biggest advantage. Everman returns 5 starters from the 2000 season, and I assume, from last year's championship team. Wylie returns one player from the 2000 team and he wasn't a starter. I don't think "weak" opponents in district means a whole lot, either. You still have to find the endzone, and Everman has proven consistently that they know where it's at. And they have played some quality teams as well. The key will be the lines. (Isn't that usually the case?) Wylie's defense will have to find a way to get into EHS's backfield and try to slow them down. No one has been able to do that yet. The offensive line will need to give Wylie's QB time to throw. And that will be a challenge, too. Everman will just need to keep doing what they do best. Score quick and often. I don't think either team is intimidated by the other. But obviously Everman has the edge. Should be a dogfight!

Titans
11-21-2002, 11:40 AM
VET93:

It wasn't my argument at all. I was asking a question concerning the amount of points Everman has given up, that's it. No need to argue that.

Personally, I would love to see Wylie beat Everman. That would shake up the state just as much as the BCS if Miami and Ohio State got beat.

Who both teams have faced doesn't mean squat to me...they haven't faced each other and that's all that matters.

Although I think Everman wins BIG, I sure would like to be able to talk about this one for the rest of the year. Perhaps 6 OT's...LOL!

The Chosen 1
11-21-2002, 11:41 AM
As a former Everman player,

(2001 State Champion to be exact)
There is no intimidating Everman. It is just a question which Everman team will show up. Whichever one does, the opposition is in trouble. Whether it is the slower starting team, or the team that jumps out of the gate, you will not ever make Everman quit. The defense is stout, the offense can strike at any moment, and I personally think Abilene Wylie is in serious trouble. And correct me if im wrong, but isn't this Abilene Wylie team pretty much the same one that laid an egg against Vernon last year?

2001 State Champions
Everman Bulldogs
:D :D :D :D

vet93
11-21-2002, 11:47 AM
Fanman...I think that Wylie's "performance against Ballinger" had a little to do with the bearcats don't you think? I think that being able to gut out that victory against the bearcats showed more character than the win over Graham. I also believe that the tough win in Ballinger helped harden Wylie's team for the playoffs and it certainly showed against Graham.

FanMan:
All of you guys are correct. Everman has not played a tough schedule and this is not the most talented team Wylie has ever put on the field. But something this Wylie team has is "heart". I admitt I doubted them against Graham after their performance against Ballinger. However, they have proved me wrong. This is a great Everman team we will be facing but I think the game will be close. I am predicting a Wylie win based on special teams. I think both offenses and defenses are pretty evenly matched as well as the coaching staff. However, Wylie doens't treat speacial teams as something that you have to do as part of the game. I think that this is an area that Wylie can exploit Everman and make them pay. Wylie will win but not by much. Good luck to both teams.

Adidas410s
11-21-2002, 01:56 PM
Two things Chosen One...

First we are glad you won state but it is pretty pathetic that you put it in EVERY post. Congrats on winning but nobody else cares to hear about it all the time.

Second, this team is FAR different from the team that lost to Vernon last year. Also, it wasn't a shutout. Wylie returns 4 and 4 starters and 1 or 2 of them started both ways last year. This team has new QB's, RB's, and WR's from last year.

It should be a good game on Saturday and I am really looking forward to it.

Old Cardinal
11-21-2002, 02:14 PM
Yes, to the question-I think A. Wylie can win. They certainly have good talent...At this level of play, good resolve, quick thinking, innovative Coaching, all these factors can turn the tide! I believe tha Everman is quite vunerable this year. I think Jasper, Barbers Hill, Bridge City, Elgin, Sinton, Forney and Burnet all have better teams. With Wylie/Everman, it's a tossup as to who wants it the most!

pero chato
11-21-2002, 03:15 PM
The Chosen 1:
As a former Everman player,

(2001 State Champion to be exact)
There is no intimidating Everman. It is just a question which Everman team will show up. Whichever one does, the opposition is in trouble. Whether it is the slower starting team, or the team that jumps out of the gate, you will not ever make Everman quit. The defense is stout, the offense can strike at any moment, and I personally think Abilene Wylie is in serious trouble. And correct me if im wrong, but isn't this Abilene Wylie team pretty much the same one that laid an egg against Vernon last year?

2001 State Champions
Everman Bulldogs
:D :D :D :D No. It's a different team.

pero chato
11-21-2002, 03:27 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by vet93:
[QB]Fanman...I think that Wylie's "performance against Ballinger" had a little to do with the bearcats don't you think? I think that being able to gut out that victory against the bearcats showed more character than the win over Graham. I also believe that the tough win in Ballinger helped harden Wylie's team for the playoffs and it certainly showed against Graham.

Once again I have to agree with Vet93. When Ballinger and Wylie play each other, throw out the win/loss records, throw out school size, throw out home field advantage, etc,etc. It's always the toughest game of the year. Both teams turn it up a notch. Anyone who was at the game could feel the intensity. Ballinger made Wylie play better and it showed against Graham. Hopefully Wylie did the same for Ballinger---so far so good. Y'all took care of Vernon. Now take care of Kennedale. Go Bearcats!!

FanMan
11-21-2002, 03:39 PM
Not the same Wylie team at all that lost to Vernon last year. Most of those players graduated. I believe that Everman has a great team with great tradition, however Wylie is not a team that is going to come in scared or intimidated because they are playing Everman. I think it's going to be a great game and I am glad that we get to meet up with a worthy opponent. Still I point to special teams, everyone is focusing on offense and defense. They don't call it "special teams" for nothing. I feel that Wylie has the edge here. Good luck to both teams.

vet93
11-21-2002, 05:16 PM
Pero chato...do you remember 2 years ago when Wylie made their run to the state finals? The playoff run was preceded by a hard fought Wylie victory at Wylie in which you guys won 7-0. That game was a war and I think that it really prepared you guys for a good playoff run. Hopefully, Wylie can repeat history again this year. Ballinger also upset a highly regarded Graham team that year as well! As hard as it is to admit it...Wylie and Ballinger seem to be good for each other wink

pero chato
11-21-2002, 05:52 PM
vet93:
Pero chato...do you remember 2 years ago when Wylie made their run to the state finals? The playoff run was preceded by a hard fought Wylie victory at Wylie in which you guys won 7-0. That game was a war and I think that it really prepared you guys for a good playoff run. Hopefully, Wylie can repeat history again this year. Ballinger also upset a highly regarded Graham team that year as well! As hard as it is to admit it...Wylie and Ballinger seem to be good for each other wink Indeed I do remember that game. If I recall, Ballinger had several drives stopped because of turnovers. We had to score late in the game to win. And I'm pretty sure Ballinger outgained Wylie in total yardage. If we ever get too big for our britches, all we need to do is look at the wall in Ballinger's stadium that lists all of their district, bidistrict, area, etc. Championships and it's kinda humbling. We are trying to build the type of tradition that teams like Ballinger are rich in. You hear about the Sealys and Celinas and Commerces, but Ballinger has a winning tradition that goes back to the 40's and probably earlier. We're getting there but we have a long way to go. No doubt, each team gets sharper after we play each other. I'm just glad it's only one time per season!

<small>[ November 21, 2002, 04:58 PM: Message edited by: pero chato ]</small>