PDA

View Full Version : Do you consider bandies athletes?

Emerson1
10-19-2006, 04:15 PM
There are people in are band that swear marching is physically harder than football.

This is not people in band, who also do football/volleyball/other REAL sports.

carter08
10-19-2006, 04:18 PM
i wish there was an in between choice

it does take some skill
although nowhere near as much athletically as football

I think that band people are more physically active than the lazy couch potatoes like me :D

piratebg
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
Marching is not hard but strenuous on the feet and/or back after a while, depending on which instrument you play. Anyone who says marching is for wimps better strap on a bass drum and march 2-4 miles down a gravel road with a pair of marching shoes, on a hot summer day. Let me know how you feel afterward.

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:24 PM
:doh:

geez Emerson .........

whtfbplaya
10-19-2006, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
Marching is not hard but strenuous on the feet and/or back after a while, depending on which instrument you play. Anyone who says marching is for wimps better strap on a bass drum and march 2-4 miles down a gravel road with a pair of marching shoes on a hot summer day. Let me know how you feel afterward.

Yea, anyone who thinks band is more strenuous than football can strap on about 15 lbs of pads and a helmet, run 2-4 miles around a muddy practice field with cleats on when it is 100 - 100 outside. Use your body as a battering ram, get bruises and cuts everywhere and let me know how you feel afterward.

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
... band is more strenuous than football ...

I doubt anyone will think that .............. but I guess you never know

piratebg
10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
You don't need to tell me bud. I've done both. Heck, I've gone from a full days practice to an 1.5hr of band practice. Trust me, while I don't consider "bandies" athletes, they still deserve some respect.

RMAC
10-19-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Yea, anyone who thinks band is more strenuous than football can strap on about 15 lbs of pads and a helmet, run 2-4 miles around a muddy practice field with cleats on when it is 100 - 100 outside. Use your body as a battering ram, get bruises and cuts everywhere and let me know how you feel afterward.

They're both challenging in different ways. You can't compare the 2. Almost all of my friends in high school played football and would jab at me occassionally for playing tennis. After they saw me play for the first time, they didn't say anything after that.

STANG RED
10-19-2006, 04:40 PM
Dang, this is a little rough isnt it?
Imagine going to football game on friday night, and neither band is there. Their a huge part of the atmosphere that is created. They also have parents that pay good money to get in the gate, that want to see little junior or little suzy do their thing. A high school football game without the bands there, would lose 1/2 its charm imo. Sure, some may be wimps, but not all of them I'm sure. At least their doing something constructive with their lives, unlike alot of kids these days, that are just too lazy to be a part of any of it. I salute the band kids for what they do.:nerd:

olddawggreen
Marching is not hard but strenuous on the feet and/or back after a while, depending on which instrument you play. Anyone who says marching is for wimps better strap on a bass drum and march 2-4 miles down a gravel road with a pair of marching shoes, on a hot summer day. Let me know how you feel afterward.

I did the marching thing in bootcamp and believe me I went through a couple of pairs of feet and felt like quite a goober before I got it down and I wasn't even blowing on a horn or beating a drum when I did it.
As far as wether or not I felt as athletic marching as I did when I was on the football field, I don't think I ever thought about it that way, but I was in pretty good shape when I graduated from boot camp.

A lot of band members may not be as athletic as some of the kids playing team sports but their definatly getting a work out from the waist down and and from the neck up. I'm not a band person but lets be honest, it takes a lot of skill to do the marching and carry a tune at the same time. I don't know too many of my old teammates that could do that.:doh: :D

Adidas410s
marching band as most of you know it...it has it's moments but nothing too hard. Something such as DCI where you are moving at 150-220 bpm (beats per minute) and practicing for 13-18 hrs/day during the summer...yeah it's not for those out of shape. When I can access some streaming video clips tonight at home I'll post a few and then you tell me.

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
... practicing for 13-18 hrs/day during the summer...

WHAT?

Emerson1
10-19-2006, 04:49 PM
Big difference between HS marching band, and professional DCI competitions.

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:51 PM
OK, I'll ask ............... what is DCI?

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:52 PM
never mind

http://www.dci.org/

piratebg
10-19-2006, 04:53 PM
DCI(Drum Corps International) are some of the best, young drum and bugle musicians in the country. They practice and compete all summer long and their shows are awesome. They always show the championship comptetion on ESPN 2 in August, I believe. They also make several stops in Texas. I usually catch them in San Antonio at the Alamodome in early or mid July.

herewego
The reason this blog got started was STRICTLY to stir up trouble and everyone here knows it, including the moderators who I told this would happen six hours ago.

I remember in sixth grade, all the kids whose parents were too cheap to buy their kids instruments (especially the deadbeat dads, mostly who were divorced because they looked down on women and liked to treat their sons like whipping posts.

And they used the typical cop-out. "Ah, boy, (insert snort here), you don't wanna play none of them thar sissy horns, do ya (insert second snort here)? Meanwhile, in the back of their narrow-minded heads, they're sweating bullets only because they don't want to spend 10 cents on their kid who they usually only wanted for hard labor on the farm and nothing more, anyway.

And, naturally, the defenseless boy fell for it hook, line and sinker! Unlike myself who was privileged, others' "papas" figured it was the cheap way out. So their kid signed up for football ONLY (again I was lucky and did both, thankfully). Most of those kids warmed the bench the ENTIRE SEASON and I was getting pretty awesome at the craft - even made money playing guitar and saxophone on the side.

I went on to make money playing music and I gotta tell you boys whose daddies were too cheap to let you participate in both ---- IT ROCKED!

I loved both football and music and told my own son and daughter they could participate in both as well. I didn't want the boy to miss out on meeting hot chicks in the band (especially majorettes). My girl had a mind of her own and would have played in band and track anyway, God love her. :-)

To this day, I thank the good Lord Up Above I made the decision NOT to deprive my child of partaking in both activities. You see, folks, my son earns nearly $70,000 a year playing part-time profesionally on the trombone and that knee injury in football? It wound up costing me more than $14,000 after insurance. But he got some good memories from it.

But the one thing he still does TO THIS DAY is impress thousands of people he performs for and has a gorgeous two-year-old girl and a wife that would make any "papa" proud.

I still enjoy football, obviously, now as a specatator because you see, once you graduate from high school. It's over unless you're one of the 1.5 percent of blessed high school athletes who play college or professional ball.

I remember that every time I hear the sweet sound of my boy playing "Seventy Six Trombones" in Philadelphia!

So is band for wimps? That's up to you. But --- HOT DAMN ---- let's count how many of you can say you never warmed a bench -- OR --- got a full fledged scholarship without costing your "papa" a red dime in tuition!

Kinda makes that lousy lesson that mighta cost a dime that I mentioned earlier sound kinda sorta stupid, don't it? DON'T IT?

I thought so! :clap: :cool: :p

Adidas410s
Originally posted by 3afan
OK, I'll ask ............... what is DCI?

Drum Corps International

It's like marching band on steroids. There are no woodwinds because they are boring outdoors (sorry wyliegrad04 ;)) and add little effect to the overall show. It is 128 members (I think they upped it to 135) and typically has 64 brass, 32 percussion, and 32 color guard. It's kids between ages 16-21 and it's the best of the best in the world. you can go to www.dci.org and I will try to post a few video clips when I get home tonight. I think I can still find 1 or 2 of me out there if I look hard enough...

Sweetwater Red
10-19-2006, 04:54 PM
I have an idea ! Let's just call anyone that doesn't sit in a recliner
all day holding a beer and a remote an athlete.

I don't think am an athlete.:D

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:55 PM
herewego - I think most folks agree with you, just try and ignore the others ..............

3afan
10-19-2006, 04:57 PM
DCI(Drum Corps International) are some of the best, young drum and bugle musicians in the country. They practice and compete all summer long and their shows are awesome. They always show the championship comptetion on ESPN 2 in August, I believe. They also make several stops in Texas. I usually catch them in San Antonio at the Alamodome in early or mid July.

yeah I think there was a competition on ESPN2 or something one day/night that I stumbled on ... was nothing like any HS marching band I've ever seen

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2006, 05:24 PM
It seemed like a legitimate question to me. Maybe the "choices" weren't that great. I was in the band in school. Marching in formation, while playing an instrument, in crappy shoes, in a wool uniform (West Texas...90 degree gametime) wasn't easy, but the physical "challenge" isn't near the same as any sport (except golf).

mwynn05
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
lol being in band does not make you an athete

carter08
10-19-2006, 05:29 PM
i play P.E. Class Football

Am i an athlete???

jason
10-19-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

Imagine going to football game on friday night, and neither band is there. add superbowl nachos, and you have the perfect football atmosphere...

that is the only thing i am going to say about high school bands lol...

jason
10-19-2006, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
but the physical "challenge" isn't near the same as any sport (except golf). golf requires more physical expertise than any other sport....

big daddy russ
10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
What the hell is this? Are we in junior high all over again? Who gives a rat's tail whether or not "bandies" are athletes.

Did it suddenly become a pivotal issue in the swing states? Are the Dems trying to capture votes from swing voters? Is Osama teaming up with Kim Jong-Il and Mahmoud Ahmadinejad to recruit "bandies" into Al-Qaeda?

Hell, I was in band until about three weeks into my sophomore year of high school. If I wasn't so lazy, I might've kept doing it. I guess I just never realized that we actually had people on this board that went to Bayside High... you know, where bandies were automatically nerds and you were only cool if you hung out with Zack Morris, dated Kelli or Jessie, or sported a mullet.

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by jason
golf requires more physical expertise than any other sport....
Expertise probably. Maybe physically "demanding" would've been better than challenging.

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 05:37 PM
hell, atleast the band kids aren't lazy...

better yet, how can we discuss the reasons "why" band and football people don't get along most of the time?

piratebg
10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Of course the biggest difference between the football team and the bans was......COED BUSES!!! I always looked forward to those long trips. :cool: :D :p

carter08
10-19-2006, 05:40 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
hell, atleast the band kids aren't lazy...

better yet, how can we discuss the reasons "why" band and football people don't get along most of the time?

My Spaish Class is crazy

Half Football Half BAnd
Always fighting
And i'm stuck in the middle
Trying to stop the fighting
and it doesn't work

piratebg
10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
The jocks hate the band geeks.
The band geeks hate the choir.
The choir hates the art students.
The art students hate the Spanish Club.
The Spanish Club hates the Spanish Teacher.
The Spanish Teacher hates the janitor.
The janitor hates the lunch ladies.
The lunch ladies hate the bus drivers.

Thats high school :D

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 05:47 PM
I think one of the main reasons there is that friction between the two is because the band is always playing happy songs when the team is losing etc... it's like in most schools the bands are there just to play, and the players know that... most don't care about what's going on in the game, they want to blow their horns, beat their drums and get to halftime... after that they want to "Get crazy" and say goofy third-grader jokes...

I know... I was in band once...

herewego
10-19-2006, 05:54 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
lol being in band does not make you an athete

No, it apparently makes you someone STUPID enough to share your talent with people and keep the game halfway fun. I got pumped when I'd hear the band play.

It's nice to know that players now dont' appreciate anyone who are not CLONES of themselves.

I feel really bad for any parapalegics or the less fortunate students with physical limitations (maybe who grew out of that AFTER high school) who assumed all along that they were part of the their school as well.

I could only participate with my band after football season back then because I couldn't balance time between the two activities.

Any woman on here who hears these things should be even more offended. The guys were only trying to impress you, I guess, while they were snickering at how much time you were wasting distracting people from THEIR game.

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by herewego
share your talent with people and keep the game halfway fun.

...:eek: :eek:

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:01 PM
Originally posted by herewego
THEIR game.

ya damn right, and if ya don't like it snag some boosters and build a stadium across town :p