PDA

View Full Version : Advise Me: New Truck (NF)

EricDraven
10-19-2006, 12:37 PM
Going to buy a new truck, looking for input/advice. I like the Colorado by Chevy, but have been told how great Toyotas are. Not loyal to any one brand, but would like something a little smaller than my Sierra. Gas milage is not a major concern, price is. Any help/suggestions/endorsements appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

DukeNukem
10-19-2006, 12:41 PM
if going to a midsize, get the toyota tacoma. awesome trucks. had one but needed more cargo room so went back to the fullsize.

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 12:42 PM
Titan for full size.

handNthedirt
10-19-2006, 12:44 PM
are you hauling anything, or are you just a truck guy?

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 12:51 PM
You can't go wrong with the Ford F-150 XLT

http://www90.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/FordVehicles.jsp?target=config&partner=&sModel=2007F-150&sBrand=Ford&sZip=

big daddy russ
10-19-2006, 12:57 PM
Originally posted by EricDraven
Going to buy a new truck, looking for input/advice. I like the Colorado by Chevy, but have been told how great Toyotas are. Not loyal to any one brand, but would like something a little smaller than my Sierra. Gas milage is not a major concern, price is. Any help/suggestions/endorsements appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.
I've heard that the new Colorados have made huge improvements over the old S-10's, but I still kind of shy away from all of them due to a bad experience with my old S-10. Got it in 1998, right out of HS. Basic truck... extended cab, stepside, 4-cylinder, 5-speed. Of course I dogged it pretty bad. Took it to the beach all the time, even took that little 2WD offroading a couple of times.

Still, I had to buy a new clutch at 80K miles (and I knew how to drive stick... as bad as I dogged that truck, it shouldn't have gone out so quick), then a new tranny at 100K. Synchronizers went out.

On top of that, there were tons of little knick-knack problems that were never recalled, but could never really be "fixed."

One huge, annoying headache was the seat recliner on both the driver's and passenger's side bucket seats. I'd have to take them in for warranty work every 10K miles or so (which amounted to about once every three or four months... I was putting around 45K miles a year on that truck), and the guys at the Chevy dealership got to know me pretty well. They hated it, too, but there was nothing they could do. Said all S-10's had these sorts of problems.

Eventually, I wound up going for 22K miles before one particular reclining mechanism went out (by this point in time, I had well over 100K miles on the truck, but because GM warranted all their warranty work I just kept bringing it in) and GM refused to cover the next one. I was completely SOL, but it turned me off of GM compacts for life.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a GM guy. They ride a lot better than any of the other brands, feel more comfortable inside (especially if you get a GMC instead of a Chevy), have always had tons of power, are extremely well-engineers, and parts are cheap. But personally, I'd be wary of their compact pickups. All my buddies who had S-10's had the same problems as I did, so just ask around and make sure the Colorado has worked out all the kinks before you commit yourself to the problems I had.

Snyder_TigerFan
10-19-2006, 12:58 PM
Can't go wrong with a Toyota. They'll last you alot longer than any Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge. IMO anyway.

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Can't go wrong with a Toyota. They'll last you alot longer than any Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge. IMO anyway. HOW DARE YOU TALK DOWN ON FORDS!!!!:mad: :eek:

big daddy russ
10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
Originally posted by Snyder_TigerFan
Can't go wrong with a Toyota. They'll last you alot longer than any Ford, Chevrolet, or Dodge. IMO anyway.
Oh, and another thing to take into consideration is how long you're going to own it. Toyotas are amazing trucks, but if you plan on owning it for a while then I'd look into an American truck. Parts are much cheaper (usually 1/2 to 1/3 the cost of foreign cars) and once you hit 100K miles the cost of ownership on Toyotas really starts to go up.

The thing about Toyotas, though, is that they don't have all the knick-knack problems that have plagued American auto manufacturers over the years. From stuff like problems with the factory radio to reclining mechanisms, you're less likely to have the knick-knack problems you have with American vehicles.

As far as longevity, I think they'll all last you as long as you take care of them. My suburban is 17 years old, has 300K miles on it, and the only part of the running gear that's ever had major work (my parents bought it brand new, I traded them for my S-10 about three or four years ago) was the transmission and rear end. We had to put a new tranny in at 195K miles, the rear end had a blowout at 220K.

Other than that, nothing. Water pump busted on me six years ago, but the heads didn't crack and are still going strong (of course I pulled over and turned it off pretty quick). Engine's only had three tuneups, but it still runs absolutely great, even gets almost 17 mpg on the highway.

Down to small trucks, an old buddy of mine has owned a '92 6-cylinder Ranger since HS. Never had a major problem, other than changing out the clutch at around 175K.

CHS_CG
10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
I have been advised not to buy a ford (dont ask me why thats just from my dad who knows cars) he really likes the chevys and Im like in love with the colorados! just the right size if you arent hauling anything but big enough you could shop the day away and have run for everything lol. Go with a Colorado!

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 01:24 PM
Titan is the way to go.

44INAROW
10-19-2006, 02:06 PM
I had been an avid Chevy person (Suburbans mostly) but in 2004 I got the EB Ford Expedition and I LOVE IT - husband had a 96 Ford PU that never gave him a moments trouble and now has a newer supercrew 4x4 (what is it with men and 4 wheel drive?) anyway - BUT - at work (insurance agency) I have noticed a trend in the last 6 months or so with alot of folks taking off their Chevy and Ford PU's and adding Toyotas - either Tundras, Tacomas or Titans. I have never driven a Toyota truck, but they sure are nice looking - how's that for a woman's point of view :D

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 02:08 PM
There's just somethin women like about a pick up man...

EricDraven
10-20-2006, 09:58 AM
Thanks again. Special thanks to big daddy russ.

3afan
10-20-2006, 10:04 AM
yep, cant go wrong with an F-150 --------- there's a reason its the best selling of all time

zeus63
10-20-2006, 10:17 AM
Work Trucks: Ford, without a doubt

Getting Around: Chevy, or Toyota; great gas mileage

Need Something to Eat Your Wallet: Dodge, worst trucks ever with the best engines

handNthedirt
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
I've always had chevy trucks until recently, I was looking for a change of pace and went with a jeep wrangler unlimited rubicon. It's unbelievably fun, especially off road...if any of ya'll ever get stuck, holla at'cha boy! Jeeps haven't been tabbed the "H2 Recovery Vehicle" for no reason.

luvhoops34
10-20-2006, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
HOW DARE YOU TALK DOWN ON FORDS!!!!:mad: :eek:

Yea, what he said.....

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-20-2006, 10:27 AM
I own a 2002 Dodge 2500 Diesel with a 6-speed. It gets 20 mpg and is a dream to drive. I've had no mechanical problems, and it has over 80,000 on it already. Plus, the Cummins Turbo Diesel engine will last you at least 500,000 miles.

tigerdad
10-20-2006, 10:29 AM
I SELL TOYOTAS, FORDS OR DODGE TRUCKS I CAN HOOK YOU UP !!!! WERE YOU FROM ?