PDA

View Full Version : HS Sports on Wednesday Night

BullFrog Dad
10-19-2006, 08:23 AM
Last night we played Madison's freshman and JV football teams at LW. It was the first time that we had sports on "Church Night". There were a lot of mixed views as to whether we should ban sports on a particular day for religious reasons. What's your opinion?

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
i am surprised that a game was scheduled on a wed.

why was it like that? i assume that was a district game.

i dont think that should happen. (wed night games)

3afan
10-19-2006, 08:29 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i dont think that should happen. (wed night games)

why?

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 08:31 AM
some kids goto church on wed.

it isnt right to make them choose 1 over the other.

3afan
10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
so what about those who go to mass on Saturdays ???

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 08:41 AM
i guess then they have to choose.

i didnt hear about subvarsities playing on sat.

he said that they played on a wed....which is usually a church night.

what is your opinion?

DaHop72
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM

what is your opinion? I agree with you, but it appears that the powers that be no longer honor this long time practice. Next they will think that we should move Fridays to Sundays and compete with the NFL.

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
i think that the stands would be less full if we played on sunday or saturdays.

college and pro football are bigger to some people.

JR2004
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Well as long as you're in a district with some city schools you're going to have a Wednesday night game sometimes for your sub-varsity teams. The only other option you have is to try to get the city schools to play the Freshman and JV game on a Friday, but the odds of that happening are slim to none because most schools will take advantage of having Friday off to go scout their upcoming opponents.

I realize in smaller towns (grew up in a small town) that church is usually on Wednesday night, but my church down in Oak Cliff has the weekday service on Tuesday night so it's not entirely universal for everyone to be at church on a Wednesday night.

AggieJohn
10-19-2006, 08:56 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Last night we played Madison's freshman and JV football teams at LW. It was the first time that we had sports on "Church Night". There were a lot of mixed views as to whether we should ban sports on a particular day for religious reasons. What's your opinion? we have occasional football games on wednesday, it's the only way with high school and middle school that we can legitimately get all the games in.....now if the kids parents feel that they should be in church instead, i think the coach should respect that and excuse them without punishment obviously

Ranger Mom
10-19-2006, 08:58 AM
Our coaches don't even allow a very long practice on Wednesday nights....they would never schedule a game!

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 09:03 AM
we usually have a group of kids that leave practice early to go to church on wed.

we have a sign up sheet on mon and tues and we have a list of kids that can leave....if you dont sign up you dont go. this helps us to know which kids are leaving practice and jsut saying they are going to church. we dont do roll checks at church or anything like that, but we can see which ones get "holy" half way through the season :)

GreenMonster
10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
This argument goes all the way back to the separation of church and state. They took the pre-game prayer away and soon they will take Christmas break away and call it winter break. Our country is going to hell in a handbasket.

3afan
10-19-2006, 09:08 AM

what is your opinion?

Forney JV played this past Saturday 'cause the varsity played on Thursday

But like AJ said - in the multi-school towns that share stadiums you have to plays on other nights/times besides Thursday and Friday ........... if you dont schedule on Wednesday night due to it being a chrch night for Baptists, then you certainly have to make the same allowances for other religions or you're asking for trouble.

(BTW - I'm Lutheran, and we do not have church on Wednesday)

3afan
10-19-2006, 09:10 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
Our coaches don't even allow a very long practice on Wednesday nights....they would never schedule a game!

and what if they did? what would happen?

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
Forney JV played this past Saturday 'cause the varsity played on Thursday

But like AJ said - in the multi-school towns that share stadiums you have to plays on other nights/times besides Thursday and Friday ........... if you dont schedule on Wednesday night due to it being a chrch night for Baptists, then you certainly have to make the same allowances for other religions or you're asking for trouble.

(BTW - I'm Lutheran, and we do not have church on Wednesday)

we have more catholics that leave early than baptists.