PDA

View Full Version : Most balanced offense?

Crimestick
10-19-2006, 02:54 AM
Homer pick:
WO-S, with 1,077 yards and 15 TDs rushing and 1,107 yards and 18 TDs passing.

Old Green
10-19-2006, 07:53 AM
Cuero - 1391 yards rushing, 19 tds
1394 passing yards, 17 tds

cats2151
10-19-2006, 08:05 AM
will wos go d-1 or d-2

Crimestick
10-19-2006, 10:22 AM
D2

WOS1
10-19-2006, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by Old Green

That's pretty dang impressive there... I don't care who you are.

How many games does that include?

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by Old Green

I heard that Noack had thrown for a little over 1600 passing yards for 17 TDs and only 3 INTs.

44INAROW
10-19-2006, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I heard that Noack had thrown for a little over 1600 passing yards for 17 TDs and only 3 INTs.

I'll find out for sure tonight the stats but Old Green's stats are the same as THSCA has - maybe they're not updated or something? Not sure

Cuero HS 1391 (rushing) 1394 (passing) 2785 (total)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 11:42 AM
I'll get back to you with his exact stats.

STANG RED
10-19-2006, 11:58 AM
Sweetwater is well balanced. We have run to the left, for just as many yards as we have to the right. :D
Shot, we even run up the middle pretty good to. :D

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by STANG RED
Sweetwater is well balanced. We have run to the left, for just as many yards as we have to the right. :D
Shot, we even run up the middle pretty good to. :D lol

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 12:20 PM
Kyle Noack, QB/CB, Cuero
Season Stats:
1604 passing yards-17 TDs, 3 INTs 450 rushingyards-5 TDs
25 Tackles and 2 INTs on Defense

BreckTxLonghorn
10-19-2006, 12:27 PM
Something just popped in my head:

Are yards what you want to measure balance on? I know it sounds stupid, but hear me out. It's simply another way to view it.

If a team was close to the same amount of yards, but the difference between pass attempts and run attempts are vast, are they really that balanced?

Here's a TOTAL hypothetical:

Let's say High School High has 1500 running yards as a team and 1400 yards passing for the season. But HSH averages 20 more running plays a game. Are they balanced? They may run the ball, and run the ball well. But when they do pass its not expected so therefore its easier to complete a big play. So the QB averages a substantial amount of YPC, but he's not throwing it near that often. The running game doesnt get a tons of yards per touch, but its very effective so it runs a LOT. I just don't see that as balanced.

Kind of different, I know, but it just popped in my mind that you may want to look at attempts on both sides as well. That could show true balance.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
Something just popped in my head:

Are yards what you want to measure balance on? I know it sounds stupid, but hear me out. It's simply another way to view it.

If a team was close to the same amount of yards, but the difference between pass attempts and run attempts are vast, are they really that balanced?

Here's a TOTAL hypothetical:

Let's say High School High has 1500 running yards as a team and 1400 yards passing for the season. But HSH averages 20 more running plays a game. Are they balanced? They may run the ball, and run the ball well. But when they do pass its not expected so therefore its easier to complete a big play. So the QB averages a substantial amount of YPC, but he's not throwing it near that often. The running game doesnt get a tons of yards per touch, but its very effective so it runs a LOT. I just don't see that as balanced.

Kind of different, I know, but it just popped in my mind that you may want to look at attempts on both sides as well. That could show true balance.

No, a very valid point and a better means of measurement. Pass plays, generally, are bigger than run plays, so you're right.

wimbo_pro
10-19-2006, 12:39 PM
Wimberley is a very balanced attack as well, ranked 5th on THSCA for total yards.

Total offense = 2,726
passing yards=1,426
rushing yards=1,300
passing TD's=17
rushing TD's=17

Also remember...these yards were against FOUR Top 10 teams, giving us a rating of 4th in the state for toughness of schedule by Massey.

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 12:40 PM
The balanced offense has to do with the pass to run ratio.

DU_stud04
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Shot, we even run up the middle pretty good to. :D

hahaaha:clap: :clap: :clap:

RMAC
10-19-2006, 01:11 PM
Wylie has always seemed very balanced. I mean, they run have an NFL style playbook and you just don't ever know what 'ol Sandifer is going to pull out on any given down w/ any given yardage. I would say that they're close to 50/50.

STANG RED
10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Honesty, I dont think you have to pass the ball as much as run it, to have a good balanced attack. You just have to be effective enough with the pass to make teams respect it enough to keep their defense honest all the way around.

Tweeder215
10-19-2006, 02:21 PM
Honesty, I dont think you have to pass the ball as much as run it, to have a good balanced attack. You just have to be effective enough with the pass to make teams respect it enough to keep their defense honest all the way around.

That kind of fits along the lines of what I was going to say. I heard, and firmly believe, that in terms of balance and having a good offense, that it isn't about yards but rather attempts. Keeping the defense honest. ( I can't remember for sure, but I'm almost positive that it was Charlie Weis who said that)

Keith7
10-19-2006, 02:24 PM
if you're talking about balance on offense shouldn't you be looking at attempts instead of yards?

STANG RED
10-19-2006, 02:38 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
if you're talking about balance on offense shouldn't you be looking at attempts instead of yards?

I dont believe so, because every attempt is a down. If you make 30 attempts but no yards, what have you gained. However, if you only make 5 attempts, yet they are all successful and manage to burn a defense that is cheating up too much, You just had 5 big yardage plays most likely. Successful attempts is what you are after. Granted, more attempts gives you more oppertunities, but remember, every one of them has it's pitfalls also. The old INT can be a game changer in a hurry.

herewego
10-19-2006, 02:41 PM
Danbury............ their offense is just as weak thorugh the air as on the ground. ;)

Keith7
10-19-2006, 02:59 PM
I dont believe so, because every attempt is a down. If you make 30 attempts but no yards, what have you gained. However, if you only make 5 attempts, yet they are all successful and manage to burn a defense that is cheating up too much, You just had 5 big yardage plays most likely. Successful attempts is what you are after. Granted, more attempts gives you more oppertunities, but remember, every one of them has it's pitfalls also. The old INT can be a game changer in a hurry.

ya but look, a team could have 300 rushes for 1700 yards but 150 passes for 1700 yards

That team only passes half as much as they run, but the totals are really close.. if a team is running twice as much as they pass I don't think they should be considered balance

STANG RED
10-19-2006, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
ya but look, a team could have 300 rushes for 1700 yards but 150 passes for 1700 yards

That team only passes half as much as they run, but the totals are really close.. if a team is running twice as much as they pass I don't think they should be considered balance

I see what your saying, but it's the end result that is most important. A team like your talking about, is obviously very good at both, but part of the reason for that, is because of their balanced attack. Their run and pass compliment each other, which lends to the success of both. Also, the scenario you put up, has an ave. of 5.67 yards per carry, and 11.33 yards per reception. Those are both real good numbers, and are right about where they should be for a good, well balanced team. You might like to see a few more yards per reception, but all in all, that is a team that's gonna win a whole lot of ball games, and it's because their so well balanced.