PDA

View Full Version : BBDE - I'm Calling You Out...

Milk That Cow
10-18-2006, 11:23 PM
for all your inspiration for the Rockdale Tigers...

Okay, it's Friday.

Coach Miller asks you to give the Pre-Game speech as the Tigers fight for their Playoff Lives against the Mighty Hutto Hippos...

What Would You Tell The Team???

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 11:28 PM
nm

tiger_94
10-18-2006, 11:31 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
It will remain to us Rockdale kids on that team as one of the greatest/dumbest/funniest speeches of our lives. We to this day still repeat these combined speeches(the fair was from a seperate speech).

an attitude like that was a big part of the Tigers going 3-7 last year..

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 11:32 PM
nm

tiger_94
10-18-2006, 11:33 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
lol...you knew it was funny too and you make fun of it with us.

The fair thing yes, funny to look back at now, but the half time talk is nothing to bring up on a messege board

herewego
10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
For years, I swore the only reason Caldwell wasn't in the playoffs was because because the players were too busy worrying about missing a keg party or a chance to get drunk at a dance in Dime Box, Rockdale or Bryan. And they wondered why they couldn't muster more than four wins a season.

Hats off to Cobia for changing that mentality. Hope his fumes last from that a while. If the Kolache Festival is going on the weekend of a home game, all else including church is a pesky distraction.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 12:29 AM
This is what I would tell the Tigers:

When I was playing football, I played it with the wrong state of mind. Everything was about winning, there was no compromise. Looking back now I realize how wrong I was. Football isn't always about winning, I don't care how many people will tell you it is, I say that it's not. Football is where you learn deep down inside of yourself what kind of a man you really are, what you are truly made of. When the rankings come out or opinions are given over who is going to win what game, expectations are made, and as an athlete, you sometimes feel obligated to live up to or live down to those expectations that are set for you. You either believe it when everyone else says you are going to win or shrug it off when people say you are going to lose. Those are not the words that you should live by when you play football. Never once has a team won or lost because a newspaper said so. It should be self-evident to you that the only people who decide that outcome are the eleven players on the field from each team. The point that I am trying to make is that no matter what anyone else says, you decide your own fate, not the newspaper columnist or the fans in the stands. There are no expectations that should be set that supercede the ones that you make for yourselves, and you should never expect to win, ever. You should set the expectation for yourself to play with desire and heart, with every ounce of energy that you can, up until the very end. It's not about winning, it's about being true to yourselves and true to your teammates. It's about being able to look your teammates square in the eye and tell them that you played with your heart and soul, never leaving anything to question. If you do that, no matter what the outcome, you can walk through life with no regrets. Love your teammates, embrace each other, and be willing to embrace that football isn't about winning, it's about believing in yourself no matter what challenge you face and putting everything you have into what you are doing. If you do that, then you will truly understand how it feels to be victorious. How you want to remember this experience is only up to you, and the time to make those memories is now, so make them worth remembering for the rest of your life.

JR2004
10-19-2006, 01:07 AM
Sweet Lord...I read that whole thing and it was good, but for goodness sakes when you write something just slightly shorter than the Bible please break it into paragraphs please. :)

bulldogman06
10-19-2006, 03:48 AM
I love the speech, something like that is so true after you are done playing, and sometimes only then do you realize it. If I could do it over again it would happen the same, because I had the time of my life on the field, under the lights, and win or lose nobody can take away the memories, they last forever, I will always remember each season I played, the highs and lows, and sometimes the lows bring about the best memories of all. loved the speech man

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
Sweet Lord...I read that whole thing and it was good, but for goodness sakes when you write something just slightly shorter than the Bible please break it into paragraphs please. :)

i agree.

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
its not about winning? No coach would ever say that since his job depends on wins and losses. Winning is pretty much the whole reason to play the game. That is a speech you give to a team that is 0-9 heading into their final game of the season or a pee wee football team.

Maroon87
10-19-2006, 08:42 AM
If it wasn't about winning, football stadiums wouldn't have scoreboards. You don't have to say it's about winning, but trust me...it's about winning.

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 08:46 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
If it wasn't about winning, football stadiums wouldn't have scoreboards. You don't have to say it's about winning, but trust me...it's about winning.

i might be wrong...it has happened once before :)

I believe that, John wooden who is one of the greatest coaches to ever lead young men or women never focused on winning. he had a scoreboard and also a trophy room with about 9 national chamionships and he didnt focus on winning.

Maroon87
10-19-2006, 08:49 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
i might be wrong...it has happened once before :)

I believe that, John wooden who is one of the greatest coaches to ever lead young men or women never focused on winning. he had a scoreboard and also a trophy room with about 9 national chamionships and he didnt focus on winning.

But if Wooden hadn't won, he wouldn't have been there very long and wouldn't have had the opportunity to "not" focus on winning. That's my point...you don't have to talk about it, but the bottom line is the W/L column.:)

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 08:50 AM
Originally posted by Maroon87
But if Wooden hadn't won, he wouldn't have been there very long and wouldn't have had the opportunity to "not" focus on winning. That's my point...you don't have to talk about it, but the bottom line is the W/L column.:)

thank you. That sounds like a speech at the Democratic National Convention.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Like I said earlier, to the spectators, winning is number one, but when it is all said and done, the thing that I was most proud of was not the number of games that I won or the spread we won by, it was the memories that I made playing my heart out, doing my best every time, and having the time of my life in the process. That was the point I was trying to make, no politics, nothing else.

MARLINDOGS
10-19-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Like I said earlier, to the spectators, winning is number one, but when it is all said and done, the thing that I was most proud of was not the number of games that I won or the spread we won by, it was the memories that I made playing my heart out, doing my best every time, and having the time of my life in the process. That was the point I was trying to make, no politics, nothing else. Well I understood exactly where you was coming from.And that is how it should be.:clap:

Fotbol
10-19-2006, 09:20 AM
Hey! MarlinDogs.

eagles_victory
10-19-2006, 10:15 AM
Like I said earlier, to the spectators, winning is number one, but when it is all said and done, the thing that I was most proud of was not the number of games that I won or the spread we won by, it was the memories that I made playing my heart out, doing my best every time, and having the time of my life in the process. That was the point I was trying to make, no politics, nothing else. that is very true when its gone you miss the memories more then anything. I miss the excitment that ran through me on the day of a big game. Not being able to think of anything but playing.

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 10:30 AM
It's all about having fun ;)

Johnny Utah
10-19-2006, 11:02 AM
To put it simply, when you are playing and working hard to achieve team and individual goals, you need to enjoy the ride as much as the destination.

Milk That Cow
10-19-2006, 12:48 PM
BBDE,

I like it...

Felt The Passion Reading It...

and no paragraphs were neccessary this time, because I feel there would be no reason to pause, sharing that kind of motivation...

herewego
10-19-2006, 12:56 PM
This is what I would tell the Tigers:

When I was playing football, I played it with the wrong state of mind. Everything was about winning, there was no compromise. Looking back now I realize how wrong I was. Football isn't always about winning, I don't care how many people will tell you it is, I say that it's not. Football is where you learn deep down inside of yourself what kind of a man you really are, what you are truly made of. When the rankings come out or opinions are given over who is going to win what game, expectations are made, and as an athlete, you sometimes feel obligated to live up to or live down to those expectations that are set for you. You either believe it when everyone else says you are going to win or shrug it off when people say you are going to lose. Those are not the words that you should live by when you play football. Never once has a team won or lost because a newspaper said so. It should be self-evident to you that the only people who decide that outcome are the eleven players on the field from each team. The point that I am trying to make is that no matter what anyone else says, you decide your own fate, not the newspaper columnist or the fans in the stands. There are no expectations that should be set that supercede the ones that you make for yourselves, and you should never expect to win, ever. You should set the expectation for yourself to play with desire and heart, with every ounce of energy that you can, up until the very end. It's not about winning, it's about being true to yourselves and true to your teammates. It's about being able to look your teammates square in the eye and tell them that you played with your heart and soul, never leaving anything to question. If you do that, no matter what the outcome, you can walk through life with no regrets. Love your teammates, embrace each other, and be willing to embrace that football isn't about winning, it's about believing in yourself no matter what challenge you face and putting everything you have into what you are doing. If you do that, then you will truly understand how it feels to be victorious. How you want to remember this experience is only up to you, and the time to make those memories is now, so make them worth remembering for the rest of your life.

Sure wish you had played for Caldwell. You definitely play with heart.

wimbo_pro
10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
BBDE...Those who disagree with what you said didnt understand what you meant. I do, and you are correct. But sure, for the head coach, its about winning. And if he is able to instill in his players what you posted, then he would win more games than pushing the W-L column. I get it...you get it...many others dont. Good work BBDE, you are a young man beyond your years.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-19-2006, 02:36 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
BBDE...Those who disagree with what you said didnt understand what you meant. I do, and you are correct. But sure, for the head coach, its about winning. And if he is able to instill in his players what you posted, then he would win more games than pushing the W-L column. I get it...you get it...many others dont. Good work BBDE, you are a young man beyond your years.

Thanks, I'm glad some people understood.

LHMom
10-19-2006, 05:17 PM
I like it, too, BB.

Obviously I never played the game, but I had 4 brothers, a husband and 2 sons that did. I didn't understand the kind of passion you describe above until it was my boys on the field. They were both very fortunate to play at LH and experience many more wins than losses, but that's not what their memories are. That's not what they talk about when their buddies are sitting around... They talk about the practices, the night before games, the game day rituals, very SPECIFIC plays where they made a positive impact on the game, and even those where they "came up short."

So anyway - I'm not on the team, but I'd be motivated by your speech to do my very best for the team.

LH MOM

P.S. GO ROCKDALE! BEAT THE HIPPOS!

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 05:28 PM
only thing I'd change about your speech is saying "it's not always about winning" too many times... gives your boys the impression that "sh$%, he doesn't think we're gunna win"... but I for sure understand what you're saying...

A team told to "win win win" or with the expectations to "win win win" are just out there to win... What happens when you play someone you think you'll beat? You just go out there and do your thing, which is to win, right? But what happens when your "other" winning ways don't work out against this team?

That's why you go out there to play balls to the wall... if every single player plays balls to the wall and that team loses, you'll maybe feel better about it when thinking back 4 years down the road or hell the next year for the graduating senior...

but if you lose, and not everyone played all-out, you'll be thinking "what if what if" blah blah blah (trust me)...

for high school atLEAST, more focus should be put on EVERY player playing 100%... if that takes place on a consistant basis, winning will only become natural