PDA

View Full Version : Gameday Memories Lets Share Some

WTF-82
10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Today I invited my nephew over and I cooked him some steaks and popped in some old football films of myself and other films that I had over the years. He is a 7th grader and I am excited for him just showing him some things I used to do before our games on Fridays Steak dinner on thursday and film watching with the family this was lots of fun. My little son is 8 months his and we had him with us looked like he enjoyed it also. I think.
Game days are some of the best memories I have and cant wait to share this with my little one. I remember friday morning always up by 6 a.m. on my own and go outside smelling the air just loving it anybody got some gameday memories they want to share.

Come on Football Nation !!!!!

WTF-82
10-18-2006, 10:41 PM
WOW, guess no one else played Football back in there day !!!

Nah, asleep probably

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 11:01 PM
Ive got one...

It was in 2004 when S'water played Snyder in Big Springs. Well after the warm up of every playoff game we would go in the locker room and the coaches would put on a tape of the game before, for us to "get crunked up." And that year our playoff games leading up to this one had some BIG hits in them that always got us pumped and ready to "bust some noggins." So we go in and are chillin and they hook everything up and the tape wont play and they kept tampering with it but couldn't get it to work, so we didnt get to see the tape and left the locker room somewhat quite and I kinda had a wierd feeling, kinda like we werent acting normal and it just felt real wierd. I just had a bad feeling when we stepped onto the field. But as you know we went out and lost 20-21, I dont think I have to say how we lost. Of course I was sophmore then and was sitting the sideline. This was my last time to be on the gridiron due to a car accident, but it was the first memory that poped into my head.

Txbroadcaster
10-18-2006, 11:11 PM
For me when I played game day was waking up at 5:30 and going over the tendicies of the opponent...6:30 meeting with the rest of the Red brick wall( our nickname for our defense) for home cooked breakfast at rotating parents houses.

Then class until 3...on home game night we went to my house and play nintendo for an hour then headed back to the fieldhouse...when I got there I would go to a cubby hole in one of the old walls I had found and just sit in there and recite my defensive calls for the night( i called any defensive changes in the back 4)...Then we did a stupid thing..we played a game of musical chairs...I dont remember why but it was funny....Then I suited up

On road games we pretty much just got on the bus and headed to the game...once we got there I found a spot to be alone

One thing I ALWAYS did was right before the first snap I would reach down and take a handful of grass and put it in my pants...

that became impossible once we went to play-offs and played on the old astroturf

I actually HATED gameday up until time to start...waiting all day it seemed to draaagggggg

football4life
10-18-2006, 11:21 PM
gameday was waffles at 730 every friday, then put on my black "hooters" undershirt (i was a sophomore and had to find a clean black shirt, because the black was definitely cooler to wear, and it said "hooters girls dig me" on the back) then head to the locker room and put on the jersey. wearing the jersey to school is definitely a big deal, it's quite the feeling putting that on. every friday lunch is at a small diner for a big steak with a friend of mine, then class till 245, then head home for a PB and J and a bottle of pedialyte. back at the field house at 4, then take a nap on the trainer table with the stem machine on my back. at 5 it's time for tape, and lots of it. make sure i have all my accessories. ;)head for the field at 6, and then the ruitine starts. i miss every second of those days.

WTF-82
10-18-2006, 11:26 PM
You are right for a player game day is diffrent you are just ready to go out and compete. Long days and trips can be a drag.
I also would love to watch Rocky Movies on thursday nights with friends after I would leave the house. This would really get us going. Also when I was playing movies like The Program and Rudy were just coming out so we had lot of things to do to keep from being to anxious and to be ready to play. It was fun.

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by football4life
and a bottle of pedialyte.

Pedialyte? are you serious? That crap is sick, hydrates you but its sick

wooden bear
10-18-2006, 11:42 PM
We played nut ball on game day a lot in the locker room, no one was serious untill we stepped on the field and it was great.

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 11:48 PM
One time I got flipped over and landed on my feet. Full sideways 360 rotation and landed on my feet and scored a 60 yard TD.

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
One time I got flipped over and landed on my feet. Full sideways 360 rotation and landed on my feet and scored a 60 yard TD.

For serious?

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 11:54 PM
Yes

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 11:55 PM
Yes

Good memory to have haha

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 11:55 PM
True

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 11:57 PM
True

indeed

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
indeed Sure

Stownhorse
10-19-2006, 12:02 AM
Sure
Im out. Later! ::chunks up tha duece::

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 12:18 AM
What?

WTF-82
10-19-2006, 08:10 AM
Dang, Tiger WR that had to be sweet specially looking at the next day at film.

WTF-82
10-19-2006, 08:18 AM
Another great memory was going to Stockton to play a game
we (Monahans) won the game easily then coming home and our stadium got Vandalized, thrased, by Pecos kids busted press box
everything then playing them the next week and dominating them and giving them there first loss of the season.

Also going to the Bowl in Sweetwater and getting a big win against the Stangs 13-12.

But the worst memory was Losing to Andrews at home 20-19 held them on downs and referee gives them a first down called
personal foul penalty on us.

raider red 2000
10-19-2006, 09:50 AM
my most memorable game.

5th grade pee wee football. we were bad. real bad. we were called the bears.

we were playing the raiders. they were good. their full back was aaron humphrey. he ended up playing at UT.

anyway we won 8-6. i made the game winning tackle on the 2 point play. i stood him up and took him down. that ended up keeping them out of the city championship :)

CenTexSports
10-19-2006, 10:33 AM
On game day when I played, all of the football players had to wear a blue and white tie and a blue blazer furnished by the school. We came to school with it on and we arrived at the game with it on.

Our football team was small but we were also slow so there were not a lot of highlights. I remember most of the games but the one that got us the most excited was in 1971. The school chartered a greyhound bus to go to WF Hirshi. We all got KFC and a drink and headed out. Even though we only had one win and were playing a top ten 3a ranked team, we were going to get to play on Astroturf. Needless to say, we got our butts kicked (even though we played our hearts out). It was a lot of fun.

football4life
10-19-2006, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Pedialyte? are you serious? That crap is sick, hydrates you but its sick

never had a single cramp:thumbsup:

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 11:32 AM
One tradition I would do is drink a Dr. Pepper before each game.

football4life
10-19-2006, 11:37 AM
One tradition I would do is drink a Dr. Pepper before each game.

i commend you on your bravery- that never came back to haunt you?

Old Tiger
10-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Nah...

handNthedirt
10-19-2006, 12:55 PM
during the school day, day dream and visualize myself making plays, after school we'd eat and then get isolated throughout the FH, listen to music, mostly too short, metallica, ac/dc, etc. more visualization, puke, pre game, puke, Lord's Prayer, puke, National Anthem, puke, game time, shut down everything the offense could throw at us, celebrate with the fellas and get ready to do it all over again next week.

WTF-82
10-19-2006, 10:11 PM
Yeah that is what I am talking about !!!!

bobcat1
10-19-2006, 10:32 PM
Our football team was small but we were also slow so there were not a lot of highlights. I remember most of the games but the one that got us the most excited was in 1971. The school chartered a greyhound bus to go to WF Hirshi. We all got KFC and a drink and headed out. Even though we only had one win and were playing a top ten 3a ranked team, we were going to get to play on Astroturf. Needless to say, we got our butts kicked (even though we played our hearts out). It was a lot of fun.
And that Astroturf at Memorial Stadium back then was not as cushiony as what they have today was it CenTexSports? Kinda felt like a rug on top of concrete, didn't it? I played a few games there in the early to mid 70's. Ah Good times for sure. I remember going with my girl (guard) and getting cut. ACL and torn cartilage. My knees, hips, neck, and shoulders say it wasn't fun now, but I'd go back and do it all over again knowing I was going to get cut again by #61.

GreenMonster
10-19-2006, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
And that Astroturf at Memorial Stadium back then was not as cushiony as what they have today was it CenTexSports? Kinda felt like a rug on top of concrete, didn't it? I played a few games there in the early to mid 70's. Ah Good times for sure. My knees, hips, neck, and shoulders say it wasn't fun now, but I'd go back and do it all over again.

I loved the carpet. I felt fast and agile. Scrimmaged Old High there my sophmore year. They ran a slant and I was the playside LB. I killed that poor guy. They had to come scrape him up off the Fastroturf. That was on my first defensive series of varsity football. I remember it like yesterday. Later in the season I was moved to DT and the first game time experience I had there was in Vernon against the Lions and Dexter Butler was a SR tailback. (This was in '92 the year Vernon and Southlake Carrol had that war at Pennington that was sold out in the Quarter-Finals) We ran a Split 6 defense and the DT's read the guards. My guard blocked down which tells me to watchout for the trap block coming. So here I am riding my guard down inside and looking down the line for the trap blocker and WHAM!@#$@!@#$!!!!! Dexter Butler hit me in the ear hole so dadgum hard I thought a nuclear bomb had gone off on the 20. He knocked me backwards about 3 yards before I grabbed him around the legs on my way to the ground (I was jell-o legged so bad I couldn't stand and I think I only grabbed him to try to break my fall). He then proceded to beat me nearly to death with his knees as he kept churning for yardage. I finally got some help after about 4 more yards and he was stopped for a 9 yard gain. I raised my hand to come out after that play. That's the only time I can actually remember wanting to come out of a game for anything other than equipment failure. That dude whipped my butt and I knew it. I had dancing fairies buzzing around in my helmet the rest of the night. It's a pretty good memory though. At least I hung on and got the tackle. :p