PDA

View Full Version : The Swinging Gate

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 08:21 PM
The La Grange Leps use this a lot. So far I don't think they have scored more points using it than with the traditional PAT and going for two formations. In fact with the kicker being as good as he is I think they are actually down a few points with it. Any comments out there about this strategy?

shankbear
10-18-2006, 08:22 PM
an odd waste of time.

99IHSMustang
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
The La Grange Leps use this a lot. So far I don't think they have scored more points using it than with the traditional PAT and going for two formations. In fact with the kicker being as good as he is I think they are actually down a few points with it. Any comments out there about this strategy?

Ingleside Lines up with the swinging gate after every score.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
an odd waste of time.
Actually, the clock does not run on PATs. :D

AggieJohn
10-18-2006, 08:25 PM
i think the main thought is that you can pitch it to that ready man before you move over to the line...we did it alot in high school

sinton66
10-18-2006, 08:26 PM
I have never liked the swinging gate. One of these days, some defensive genius is gonna figure out how to take the ball away from it and this play will be dead forever.

Emerson1
10-18-2006, 08:30 PM
Forney used to come out in it alot. In the past 2 seasons we actually used it, one was a fumble on the long pitch, the second time the guy back by the kicker stumbled running forward.

Seems like it would be easy to counter, get one of your smart, athletics players and let him just try and intercept the snap.

sinton66
10-18-2006, 08:33 PM
The gate as I've seen it involves a pass to a back or receiver standing behind a whole crowd of people on one side. You defend it by putting a man everywhere they have a man. And your BIG guys go in front of the crowd. I've always wanted to see a coach line a speedy tall receiver in the inside slot and intercept the ball in flight and adios.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
The gate as I've seen it involves a pass to a back or receiver standing behind a whole crowd of people on one side. You defend it by putting a man everywhere they have a man. And your BIG guys go in front of the crowd. I've always wanted to see a coach line a speedy tall receiver in the inside slot and intercept the ball in flight and adios.

That was my job. Hutto tried it once on us last year, and it was one of the few things I done right that game.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 08:35 PM
All you need is a good running QB and 2 big OL and you can run the ball up the middle and score. Seen it happen many times the last few years.

Da Mules
10-18-2006, 08:38 PM
on the other hand, if you can get up by extra point by running the gate successfully, you could have the game breaker. Muleshoe lines up in the Gate after every TD, and will run it about every 3rd TD. Probably about 2 out of 3 times it is successful... it's not as easy to defend against as you make it sound. I have never seen the other team intercept or score against it.

Z motion 10 out on 2
10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
In the 2003 season Kennedale used it almost every time. Someone from that area may comment on it. Didn't work to well against Vernon as we beat the cats that night.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
on the other hand, if you can get up by extra point by running the gate successfully, you could have the game breaker. Muleshoe lines up in the Gate after every TD, and will run it about every 3rd TD. Probably about 2 out of 3 times it is successful... it's not as easy to defend against as you make it sound. I have never seen the other team intercept or score against it.

Yeah, they get that ball over there quick, but if you can escape around the edge then you can defeat it rather easily.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 08:45 PM
Nice to hear folks talking about football again!:)

Da Mules
10-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
Yeah, they get that ball over there quick, but if you can escape around the edge then you can defeat it rather easily.

da Mules have been running the Gate as previously described since 1998... I would put the success rate at about 2 out of 3 overall. Once the coach gets up by the extra point, he goes back to kicking the PAT.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
da Mules have been running the Gate as previously described since 1998... I would put the success rate at about 2 out of 3 overall. Once the coach gets up by the extra point, he goes back to kicking the PAT.

Sounds like my Blackjack strategy, double down, double a bet until you get up then back off. Works pretty well unless you hit a losing streak then you're fried.:D

sinton66
10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
I'm not absolutely positive on this, but I don't remember anyone ever scoring an extra point attempt against Sinton using the gate although it's been tried many times. Beeville ran a variation of it this year that we hadn't seen and they scored from midfield on it. They ended up with a speedy receiver in a "slot" between the groups and we lined up a linebacker against him instead of a back. Turned the game around in a hurry.

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 08:56 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
an odd waste of time. i agree big waste of time in practice

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 09:00 PM
we run the gate after every touchdown. have ever since traylor came to town. its actually gets old, but hell, who am i to complain. just win baby!!!!!!!!

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:03 PM
Celina uses it, but we aren't very good are we SF. :p

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Celina uses it, but we aren't very good are we SF. :p

Pretty good, just not much class when you fake a punt when you're up by 33 late in the game.

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:10 PM
It's an automatic read by the punter when no one covers the receiver. The coaches did not call it. When did we beat y'all last? I am sure we did or there wouldn't be sour grapes.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
It's an automatic read by the punter when no one covers the receiver. The coaches did not call it. When did we beat y'all last? I am sure we did or there wouldn't be sour grapes.

You have never beaten my team.

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:17 PM
Why so negative then when you really don't know what was happening?

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 09:19 PM
Why so negative then when you really don't know what was happening?

What makes you think I don't know what was happening? Regardless of your excuse, it was classless.

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:25 PM
Late in the game? We were up 33-0 before half time. And I know now you don't have a clue. Oh by the way, who is your team?

hawkfan
10-18-2006, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
I have never liked the swinging gate. One of these days, some defensive genius is gonna figure out how to take the ball away from it and this play will be dead forever.

Good luck. When I was at Iowa Park in the late 90's, Weldon Nelms used it. We didn't do of them during games but he had about five or six things you could do out of it.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 09:29 PM
Late in the game? We were up 33-0 before half time. And I know now you don't have a clue. Oh by the way, who is your team?

The fake came with around 7 mins left in the 3rd quarter. That would be considered late in the game. Do you really know what is going on?

Just Watching
10-18-2006, 09:37 PM
It does seem like a waste of time. I know back in the 1950s it was called The Oklahoma Swinging Gate. I don't know if Wilkinson was the first to use it or if OU just used it a bunch back then. I don't think I've ever seen it work, although I did see one high school team get a delay penalty because the defense responded with some funky formation and the offense didn't know what to do.

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I never said when it was. I said we were up 33-0 before halftime. Now do you think we could score at will against them? We could, but we didn't, did we?

With only 7 minutes left in the third, we line up to punt. Pilot Point elects to leave our wide out (gunner) open. The punter sees it. The gunner sees it. They are on years of programing and auto-pilot kicks in, eyes wide open, adrenaline pumping.

Now when I was 16 and saw a chance to make a big play like that when it was as wide open as it was, I wouldn't have punted either. Neither would you if you ever had a competitive bone in your body HS. The coaches didn't call it HS.

You are calling our kids classless and I am tired of explaining the play to a person that will never get it. What else could the initials HS stand for?

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 09:42 PM
I never said when it was. I said we were up 33-0 before halftime. Now do you think we could score at will against them? With only 7 minutes left in the third, we line up to punt. Pilot Point elects to leave our wide out (gunner) open. The punter sees it. The gunner sees it. They are on years of programing and auto-pilot kicks in, eyes wide open, adrenaline pumping.

Now when I was 16 and saw a chance to make a big play like that when it was as wide open as it was, I wouldn't have punted either. Neither would you if you ever had a competitive bone in your body HS. The coaches didn't call it HS.

You are calling our kids classless and I am tired of explaining the play to a person that will never get it. What else could the initials HS stand for?

I never said the kids were classless. Call it programmed or what you want, but the coach should of been aware of what was happening and told the kids not to do it. If the coaches want to run the score up with a fake punt then they are the one's who are classless.

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Go get your bottle and go to bed :bigcry:. What part of the coaches did not call it do you not understand? If the coaches had of called that play I would agree, but they didn't. We have classy coaches, players, and fans. What classy town do you come from? Who is your team? Zactly!

Emerson1
10-18-2006, 09:54 PM
His team has a won at state, and lost at state since 2003 in 3a, something celina can't say. Only wimpy 2a is where they can win.

Celina is the highland park of lower classifications. Can win in 2a/4a, but when it comes to 5a/3a, neither will win a championship anytime soon.

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:56 PM
Thanks young man for your input, :D

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 09:58 PM
Now back to the swinging gate. It is fun to watch. All sorts of stuff can happen out of it.

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 07:45 AM
Go get your bottle and go to bed :bigcry:. What part of the coaches did not call it do you not understand? If the coaches had of called that play I would agree, but they didn't. We have classy coaches, players, and fans. What classy town do you come from? Who is your team? Zactly!

So are you saying that the coaches don't make adjustments during the game? You are as lame most people who try to live thru their children.

BreckTxLonghorn
10-19-2006, 12:07 PM
I like the idea of the swinging gate. When you look at its fundamentals, its pretty smart.

The center lines up over the ball. The kicker lines up his spot from where he kicks it from and takes his steps. The holder sets the spot. And the whole time, the rest of the team is away from the to let the kicker set up for the extra point. They don't get in the way. However, if its a close game and the opposition is napping, its a quick two points.

IMO, its a way to quickly and efficiently have the kicker line up so the play clock doesnt run out, instead of doing after the huddle breaks.

Underwater Basketweaver
10-19-2006, 12:34 PM
I don't know if they still do, but RL Turner used to run it up and down the field not just on PAT. They were pretty proficient at it, and had many plays to run out of it. Just had a QB back there instead of a kicker. Gainesville would also line up in a different version of it in the middle of the field a couple of years ago. The whole point of the swinging gate is to give the opponent something else to work on in practice and maybe distract them a little from your normal offensive stuff. It doesn't take much practice for the team running it, but it takes a little bit more for a team that doesn't run it to prepare to defend it. It drives defensive coordinators absolutely nuts.

rgn4fb
10-19-2006, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by BreckTxLonghorn
I like the idea of the swinging gate. When you look at its fundamentals, its pretty smart.

The center lines up over the ball. The kicker lines up his spot from where he kicks it from and takes his steps. The holder sets the spot. And the whole time, the rest of the team is away from the to let the kicker set up for the extra point. They don't get in the way. However, if its a close game and the opposition is napping, its a quick two points.

IMO, its a way to quickly and efficiently have the kicker line up so the play clock doesnt run out, instead of doing after the huddle breaks. In my opinion this is a great way to make opposing teams have to spend extra time defending a different formation. Ideally, I like it when the snapper is actually an eligible receiver (has a number that is not 50-79 and is not covered by another person on the line.) Then have a wide out set opposite of the gate. Then a quarterback and back at the tee. This allows for several different options and makes opposing DC's really have to spend time figuring out the best way to defend all options. (pass to several different receivers, option, wedge, dive, etc.) Again, if a team runs the gate, there is always a possibility that the team could run the gate in other situations besides PAT. I believe Some teams run it without a center or someone lined up at the ball. This could catch teams offguard where they all lined up on the ball since there is no center. At that point the QB could run up to the ball and snap it to the back at the gate.

Fletch
10-19-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
I never said the kids were classless. Call it programmed or what you want, but the coach should of been aware of what was happening and told the kids not to do it. If the coaches want to run the score up with a fake punt then they are the one's who are classless.

As dirty as PP was playing Butch should have hung 75 on them. Now that would be CLASS! LOL. Quit whining.:D :D

g$$
10-19-2006, 01:52 PM
It's really an easy concept. I was the guy who lined up over the ball & decided KICK (& we realigned) or ran the gate. All you do is count heads. If you outnumber the defense by formation, you run it & snap the ball to the holder & release for a pass or beat them to the edge on a run. If not, you line up to kick.

It's as simple as counting heads. Surprisingly, if only used occasionally, it still works based on confusion & an easy 2 points.

I got some easy scores off it!

bobcat1
10-19-2006, 02:05 PM
So are you saying that the coaches don't make adjustments during the game? You are as lame most people who try to live thru their children.

Listen HS, Have you ever been in a game with a 16-18 year old brain running Mach Chicken, tongue hanging out the side of your mouth being bit waiting on a snap and then you notice the gunner is wide open. I guess in that instance you would think, "Now we are up 33-0. I shouldn't throw a pass to him because that would be classless." If you think that way, you need to be on the sidelines. Not in a football uniform, but in a skirt with PomPoms. You can't win this argument HS. You are the only person I have ever heard say Celina had no class. I think I know who is classless and his initials are HS. Oh I don't live thru my boys. I live with them. The baby boy is a 6'5 junior and is 16. I know how boys think. Mine don't think, they react. There football players. Just like the 2 kids who faked that punt. They reacted to an opportunity and it worked. LOL. Fletch is right we could have hung 75 on them, but we didn't. See ya HS.

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 08:29 PM
Listen HS, Have you ever been in a game with a 16-18 year old brain running Mach Chicken, tongue hanging out the side of your mouth being bit waiting on a snap and then you notice the gunner is wide open. I guess in that instance you would think, "Now we are up 33-0. I shouldn't throw a pass to him because that would be classless." If you think that way, you need to be on the sidelines. Not in a football uniform, but in a skirt with PomPoms. You can't win this argument HS. You are the only person I have ever heard say Celina had no class. I think I know who is classless and his initials are HS. Oh I don't live thru my boys. I live with them. The baby boy is a 6'5 junior and is 16. I know how boys think. Mine don't think, they react. There football players. Just like the 2 kids who faked that punt. They reacted to an opportunity and it worked. LOL. Fletch is right we could have hung 75 on them, but we didn't. See ya HS.

Like I said, it's not about the kids. Coaches always make adjustments in games. Celina decided to let the kids run up the score with a fake punt.

BTW, you've told everyone many many times how big you kid is. Guess what, we don't care. And it's obvisous that you know how boys think, you're reliving your childhood thru them right now.

Fletch
10-19-2006, 09:32 PM
Like I said, it's not about the kids. Coaches always make adjustments in games. Celina decided to let the kids run up the score with a fake punt.

BTW, you've told everyone many many times how big you kid is. Guess what, we don't care. And it's obvisous that you know how boys think, you're reliving your childhood thru them right now.

And when they play your team I hope they hang 50 or 60 on them becaue you are such a sanctimonious jerk. It will be fun listening to your excuses.

Jealousy is an ugly, smelly whine.:inlove:

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 09:36 PM
Originally posted by Fletch
And when they play your team I hope they hang 50 or 60 on them becaue you are such a sanctimonious jerk.

Jealousy is an ugly, smelly whine.:inlove:

Someone keeps saying that Celina has classy people. Hopefully we'll get some to post on this site. The two that I've seen must just be a bad example of Celina people.

kaorder1999
10-19-2006, 09:37 PM
speaking as a defensive coach running the swinging gate gives the defense something else to have to prepare and spend time on. I hate it.

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 09:38 PM
How's crandall doing this year?

bobcat1
10-19-2006, 10:06 PM
We always treat HS like it smells. Now I wonder what HS stands for? I will refrain from telling anyone else about my son's size. Heck he is fun to watch. Re-living, not hardly. I did mine up good when I had the opportunity and that can be banked!

You never did say which town you support HS.

Let's see, you don't like Celina we have no class. You are the only member of that club. You don't like me to talk about my son. You know what you can do with 1 finger on each hand, right? 1 goes in one slot and the other goes in the other slot. Now go ahead and spin on your elbows.

Matthew328
10-20-2006, 12:16 AM
Everman still runs the swinging gate and they are very good at it....especially on the plays when the center is an eligible reciever....they rarely pitch the ball to the side where everyone is stacked...they like to get their athletes in one on one match ups in space on the short side...2 out of 3 is about the success rate..

StreetBobcat
10-20-2006, 12:39 AM
On talking about Celina's fake punt, this is kind of how I saw it. We're dominating and running pretty much at will, then we get a 4th and inches, and in my opinion was trying to show class and was going to punt it away. PP came in hard and block the punt and we had to make a goal line stance. Looked like we were going to back off but PP said they came to compete....so later we answered with the automatic fake punt. Personally that's how I saw it... on both sides the kids want to play all out!

Hansum Stranger
10-20-2006, 05:46 AM
Originally posted by StreetBobcat
On talking about Celina's fake punt, this is kind of how I saw it. We're dominating and running pretty much at will, then we get a 4th and inches, and in my opinion was trying to show class and was going to punt it away. PP came in hard and block the punt and we had to make a goal line stance. Looked like we were going to back off but PP said they came to compete....so later we answered with the automatic fake punt. Personally that's how I saw it... on both sides the kids want to play all out!

There's no doubt that all the kids want to play all out. It was the coaches job to make the adjustments with the game in hand.

Hansum Stranger
10-20-2006, 05:50 AM

Let's see, you don't like Celina we have no class.

Show me where I said that I didn't like Celina. I said that the fake punt was not classy. Looks like you've proved the point of having no class since you want to keep calling names at the age of 50. Oh yeah, I keep forgetting, you're 16 again. Calling names is what most kids do.

bobcat1
10-20-2006, 06:41 AM
I guess you are excused from the name calling by calling our coaches, our town, and our team Classless. I assumed you didn't like us with these comments, but hey maybe I'm wrong. Maybe you were showing affection. :rolleyes:
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Celina uses it, but we aren't very good are we SF.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty good, just not much class when you fake a punt when you're up by 33 late in the game.
quote:
I never said when it was. I said we were up 33-0 before halftime. Now do you think we could score at will against them? With only 7 minutes left in the third, we line up to punt. Pilot Point elects to leave our wide out (gunner) open. The punter sees it. The gunner sees it. They are on years of programing and auto-pilot kicks in, eyes wide open, adrenaline pumping.

You said,"Pretty good, just not much class when you fake a punt when you're up by 33 late in the game" right after I made this comment about the thread topic; swinging gate; (remember???? :doh: ) "Celina uses it, but we aren't very good are we SF." Just right out of left field comes an attact on Celina from HS. Why so bitter?

Listen post away, I am tired of reasoning with you. You haved proved you no nothing about what you are talking about several times. You have implied that Celina has no class in general at first. Then you said it was the coaches and me and Fletch that were classless. You said I live through my kids. I am involved very much with them. My dad grew up in the depression and thought working was more important on Friday nights than coming to watch me or my siblings. Call it what you want, but I do not miss my kid's games. I am really through visiting with you. Have a good day.

Pudlugger
10-20-2006, 08:34 AM
I'm going to start a new and interesting thread, This one is cooked.:D

Fletch
10-20-2006, 08:36 AM
Someone keeps saying that Celina has classy people. Hopefully we'll get some to post on this site. The two that I've seen must just be a bad example of Celina people.

LOL, I could care less what your opinion of ME is! I enjoy jerking the chain of guys like you. Just keep your low minded, envious little tongue off of the Celina coaches. Their reputation for class is well established.

"Living our life vicariously through the kids"????

Guilty!

What the heck do you think 95% of the clowns on these boards are doing?

:confused: :confused:

Hello??? Anybody home???

kaorder1999
10-20-2006, 08:43 AM
How's crandall doing this year?

not too bad...1-0 in district...

Pudlugger
10-20-2006, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by Fletch
LOL, I could care less what your opinion of ME is! I enjoy jerking the chain of guys like you. Just keep your low minded, envious little tongue off of the Celina coaches. Their reputation for class is well established.

"Living our life vicariously through the kids"????

Guilty!

What the heck do you think 95% of the clowns on these boards are doing?

:confused: :confused:

Hello??? Anybody home???

See my new thread!:)