PDA

View Full Version : Dalhart Wolves?

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:47 PM
They are 7-0. Does anyone know anything about this team? Are they really that good or just playing weak teams?

canyon_eagle_4
10-18-2006, 07:01 PM
ya they're 7-0 but they have one of the weakes schedules in the state.........i wouldn't be surprised if they played texas school for the blind

cats2151
10-18-2006, 07:15 PM
yep when playoffs come around they will be brought back down to earth.

football4life
10-18-2006, 07:39 PM
yes, they have not played anyone. their toughest game was against stratford, a good 2A team. Last week they came from behind in the 4th against brownfield. They'll make the playoffs over River road, but won't go anywhere.

Da Mules
10-18-2006, 08:45 PM
10-4, F4L. The Gold Whoofs are winning this year but have yet to play a team with a record above .500. I read that the whole town is going nuts, and apparently some of the players are talking smack on Old Coach forum... they might beat Borger and make the playoffs, but I will be amazed if they beat Perryton or da Canyon Iggles.

Speaking of playoffs, in the absence of district 2-3a this year, does that mean all of the district 1-a reps get a bye on the first round? Or does the team with the best record (between districts 1, 3, and 4) get the bye on the first playoff round, like they used to do in 1A? Does anybody even know?

If district 1-3a gets an automatic bye, and Dalhart makes the playoffs, they can claim to have reached the 2nd round for the 1st time in a long time :D

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2006, 08:50 PM
What did their schedule look like the last couple of years? Any different caliber of teams in non-district? Maybe the schedule is weak, but it's not like there's a lot of choices. Shoot, they went from 1-19 to 7-0. I think the playoffs (if they make it) will be a big shock, but I might go nuts too. I know we did. :D

Da Mules
10-18-2006, 09:14 PM
Dalhart is playing about the same quality of pre-district teams that they played last year. Difference is they have a new coaching staff, head coach is a Dalhart native, and yes you can't deny they are very much improved. I know that Borger, Canyon, and Perryton are not overlooking the Whooves... they could slip up on anybody in 1-3a if they don't bring their B+ game. F4L has said they just don't have the athletes to beat his Iggles or the Rangers. I do think they will beat Borger, and lose to the other two, and make the playoffs with an overall record of 8-2.

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2006, 09:16 PM
I agree that they probably won't be in the same league with Canyon. I just get glad to see a team that hasn't done much in a while have a good season for a change.

Da Mules
10-18-2006, 09:22 PM
you can be sure the whole town of Dalhart is going ape about it... as far as they're concerned, they oughta be in the AP top ten poll, and they're gonna win state!

see if you read this topic in TalkAmarillo.com: Dalhart Wolves 7-0 (http://forums.amarillo.com/cgi-bin/bb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=13;t=000753)

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2006, 09:35 PM
Hahahaha! I may have to check out TOC tomorrow. I wish them the best of luck....they may need it.

canyon_eagle_4
10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
Originally posted by football4life
yes, they have not played anyone. their toughest game was against stratford, a good 2A team. Last week they came from behind in the 4th against brownfield. They'll make the playoffs over River road, but won't go anywhere.

River Road's not in our district anymore, it's Canyon, Perryton,Borger,and Dalhart

football4life
10-18-2006, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by canyon_eagle_4
River Road's not in our district anymore, it's Canyon, Perryton,Borger,and Dalhart

oh for sure, man, what in the crap was i thinking? well then, it will be a pretty big deal if they make it past one of those other two, assuming that we get by them.

STANG RED
10-19-2006, 01:04 PM
The good thing about Dalhart is, success tends to breed success. We have all heard coaches say that winning and/or losing becomes a habit. Dalhart was in the habit of losing for a lot of years, but it looks like maybe they have gotten that turned around. What ever happens to them from here on out the rest of this year, maybe they can use this year as a building block for years to come. Sure, they'll probably get drummed pretty good by Canyon, or at least by someone in the playoffs, but hopefully it wont make them fall back into that old losing habit next year. Let them have their fun for as long as it lasts anyway.

I remember when Sweetwater got things turned around in the early 80s after a decade of losing. Man was that fun! It's a shame we have lost some of that enthusiasm from those days. Now we just tend to expect great success, and a deep playoff run every year, with a state championship being the only acceptable outcome. We all really should enjoy the ride a little bit more, and not worry so much about that one elusive gold ball at the end. Its great when you are lucky enough to get it, but we shouldnt let that be our only measuring stick for success. Take a little more satisfaction out of the small successes, and not worry so much about that one huge one, that everyone else is scratching and clawing so hard to get, just like you are. By the way, I'm talking to myself here as much or more than anyone else.

DukeNukem
10-19-2006, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED

I remember when Sweetwater got things turned around in the early 80s after a decade of losing. Man was that fun! It's a shame we have lost some of that enthusiasm from those days. Now we just tend to expect great success, and a deep playoff run every year, with a state championship being the only acceptable outcome. We all really should enjoy the ride a little bit more, and not worry so much about that one elusive gold ball at the end. Its great when you are lucky enough to get it, but we shouldnt let that be our only measuring stick for success. Take a little more satisfaction out of the small successes, and not worry so much about that one huge one, that everyone else is scratching and clawing so hard to get, just like you are. By the way, I'm talking to myself here as much or more than anyone else.

This is the smartest thing I have ever read by a S-water poster. I completely agree. With West Texas talent levels down simply due to numbers being down, a state title is hard to get much less winning one year in and year out like the old Permians and Lees. Routinely making the playoffs and getting to December once in a while should not be viewed as shortcomings but as successes.

Da Mules
10-19-2006, 08:28 PM
ditto that Stang Red. You think Swater was down, you should have moved to Muleshoe in 1993... absolutely one of the worst losingest programs in the state. David Wood and crew came in in 1995 and turned it around and won a district championship in 3 years. One of the things that still ticks me off is the dead-butt Muleshoe fans; no cheering, no participation.. I guess they still have a hangover from the 15 years of losing before Coach Wood came on board.

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Da Mules
One of the things that still ticks me off is the dead-butt Muleshoe fans; no cheering, no participation..
Dead-butt fans always tick me off too.

STANG RED
10-20-2006, 07:28 AM
Originally posted by Da Mules
ditto that Stang Red. You think Swater was down, you should have moved to Muleshoe in 1993... absolutely one of the worst losingest programs in the state. David Wood and crew came in in 1995 and turned it around and won a district championship in 3 years. One of the things that still ticks me off is the dead-butt Muleshoe fans; no cheering, no participation.. I guess they still have a hangover from the 15 years of losing before Coach Wood came on board.

You mean they were still dead on their butts even after the turn around? Wow, you would have thought we had won a state championship just by having a winning season for the first time in a long time. All the fans were going crazy, every game for that first few years of the 80s. After winning the title in 85 it began to simmer down a little bit, as we got used to winning. We still have alot of great fans, but it's nothing like it was back in those days. I’ll never forget that euphoric high from back then, it was a blast. I imagine that is what the Dalhart folks are going through now. Too bad it cant be like that every year.