PDA

View Full Version : Earl Campbell feature on ESPN...

g$$
10-18-2006, 06:24 PM
FYI: If you get a chance ESPN just ran a feature on Earl Campbell on the 6:00 PM Sportscenter. I'm pretty sure it will air again on the later shows tonight if you're interested. It's mainly about the short careers most RBs have & how Tiki Barber may retire & go into broadcasting. It details Earl's daily battles @ 48 yrs. old w/ his body, & how everything hurts from his back, legs, neck, etc.. Great highlights & interview w/ Earl on his life, career, & what he's doing today in the meat business. Once such a powerful athlete, & now he needs assistance moving around his house.

Brought a tear to my eye watching Earl struggle & remembering just how great he was as a player, Texas legend, & Hall of Famer. Seeing Bum Phillips & the Luv Ya Blue days too. I grew up watching Earl at UT & with the Oilers/Saints, & he was the best power runner I have ever seen. Earl punished tacklers, & he's paying for it today. I was lucky enough to meet him twice as a kid when he was @ UT & he spoke once at our Sports Banquet years ago. Fine man & true Texas icon. Those guys don't come around too often.

The Tyler Rose - God Bless you Earl & thanks for the wonderful memories! Hope y'all enjoy it too.

g$$
10-19-2006, 03:13 PM
TRIVIA: Who coined the nickname "The Tyler Rose" for Earl Campbell? It was in the pros not UT (hint).... And who recruited Earl to UT as a coach & recruiting coordinator?

ANSWERS: former Houston tv broadcaster & now ESPN voice Ron Franklin. He's my favorite of all-time too right next to Keith Jackson. Shame how ESPN has demoted him to also ran games. Still do not understand that move.

&

Ken Dabbs, former Sweeny HS assistant & later college coach at Texas. He stayed almost non-stop at a hotel in Tyler working on Earl & his mother while keeping him away from OU!! Earl even got brothers Tim & Steve scholarships to Texas too. Worked out ok for the Campbell family huh?

GreenMachine
10-19-2006, 08:35 PM
Originally posted by g$$
FYI: If you get a chance ESPN just ran a feature on Earl Campbell on the 6:00 PM Sportscenter. I'm pretty sure it will air again on the later shows tonight if you're interested. It's mainly about the short careers most RBs have & how Tiki Barber may retire & go into broadcasting. It details Earl's daily battles @ 48 yrs. old w/ his body, & how everything hurts from his back, legs, neck, etc.. Great highlights & interview w/ Earl on his life, career, & what he's doing today in the meat business. Once such a powerful athlete, & now he needs assistance moving around his house.

Brought a tear to my eye watching Earl struggle & remembering just how great he was as a player, Texas legend, & Hall of Famer. Seeing Bum Phillips & the Luv Ya Blue days too. I grew up watching Earl at UT & with the Oilers/Saints, & he was the best power runner I have ever seen. Earl punished tacklers, & he's paying for it today. I was lucky enough to meet him twice as a kid when he was @ UT & he spoke once at our Sports Banquet years ago. Fine man & true Texas icon. Those guys don't come around too often.

The Tyler Rose - God Bless you Earl & thanks for the wonderful memories! Hope y'all enjoy it too. I agree, best power runner ever. I watched him punish many a defensive back and linebacker. There will never be another like Earl. :clap: :clap: