PDA

View Full Version : The downfall of american recess

Emerson1
10-18-2006, 05:55 PM
Playing 'Tag!' banned at elementary school
WBZ-TV
Massachusetts elementary school bans 'Tag!'

Officials at an elementary school south of Boston have banned kids from playing tag, touch football and any other unsupervised chase game during recess for fear they'll get hurt and hold the school liable. Recess is "a time when accidents can happen," said Willett Elementary School Principal Gaylene Heppe, who approved the ban. While there is no districtwide ban on contact sports during recess, local rules have been cropping up. Several school administrators around Attleboro, a city of about 45,000 residents, took aim at dodgeball _ where children must try to dodge or catch balls flung at them by the opposing team _ a few years ago, saying it was exclusionary and dangerous. Elementary schools in Cheyenne, Wyoming, and Spokane, Washington, also recently banned tag during recess. A suburban Charleston, South Carolina, school outlawed all unsupervised contact sports.

carter08
10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
horrible move

these kids need these to become healthy adults

Gobbla2001
10-18-2006, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by carter08
horrible move

these kids need these to become healthy adults

the wussyfication of America continues...

they can't even play tag and you expect them to be able to rip a taliban loon's throat out with their pinky in 10 years?

The weakest country on planet earth keeps getting weaker and weaker...

I heard the 3adownlow's very own "tam" helped in getting this ban going...

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
I used to like to play Dodge Ball in junior high. That is one of the best sports there is. You could really plaster some people with the ball.

Gobbla2001
10-18-2006, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
I used to like to play Dodge Ball in junior high. That is one of the best sports there is. You could really plaster some people with the ball.

Yah that game was fun...

prolly can't play that anymore...

teatherball is banned in a lot of places as well :(

carter08
10-18-2006, 06:05 PM
We used to play tackle football during lunch in Jr. High. Teachers didn't care.

Wall Ball. Full pegs. Those were the days

shankbear
10-18-2006, 06:06 PM
Slaughter ball....same thing. Take no prisoners. We played with basketballs sometimes. Hurt like heck.

Gobbla2001
10-18-2006, 06:06 PM
We used to play tackle football during lunch in Jr. High. Teachers didn't care.

Wall Ball. Full pegs. Those were the days

where I went to Junior High wall-ball wasn't allowed... we'd play it on the side of the bandhall though... :D

carter08
10-18-2006, 06:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
where I went to Junior High wall-ball wasn't allowed... we'd play it on the side of the bandhall though... :D

I stay as far away from the band hall as possible.

I am proud to say i have NEVER entered our high school band hall :D

Gobbla2001
10-18-2006, 06:09 PM
Ya see wall-ball is a great game...

it helps you concentrate etc... and plus you don't want to have to spread-eagle and get pegged, so it helps you try harder, teaches you about consequences etc...

that's how you learn right there...

jlwzz
10-18-2006, 06:10 PM
I used to like to play Dodge Ball in junior high. That is one of the best sports there is. You could really plaster some people with the ball. when they took dodge ball out of the schools is when the kids starting being told that they were as good as anyone else, BS, it made these kids weak,and there getting weaker everyday

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:12 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
Slaughter ball....same thing. Take no prisoners. We played with basketballs sometimes. Hurt like heck.

We called it smear the queer. It was fun though. You got banged up a little but it was a whole bunch of fun. It is too bad kids now will never know those days.

halfnhalf
10-18-2006, 06:13 PM
It is sad how wussified our nation is becoming. Just imagine when these kids grow up, the entire nation is going to be SOFT. Tag was one of the funnest games growing up as a kid. That is how a lot of kids make friends at play break.

Gobbla2001
10-18-2006, 06:15 PM
We called it smear the queer. It was fun though. You got banged up a little but it was a whole bunch of fun. It is too bad kids now will never know those days.

that's right, smear the queer... haha...

they get rid of the game smear the queer, prolly because it's not very nice to pick on the queers... now there is "smear the heterosexual"

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
Feminization of public schools. This is an anti-boy move.

Paratrooper
Originally posted by halfnhalf
It is sad how wussified our nation is becoming. Just imagine when these kids grow up, the entire nation is going to be SOFT. Tag was one of the funnest games growing up as a kid. That is how a lot of kids make friends at play break.

Do you guys remember putting a regular deck of cards in the spokes of your bike (the chopper sound) and then lining up other kids to lay flat while you went up a ramp and jumped over them with your bike? You never wanted to be the dude on the end just in case the guy was a little short jumping. :D

piratebg
My favorite playground games were:

Flag Football
Touch Football
Dodgeball
Wallball
Four Square
Smear the Queer

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Feminization of public schools. This is an anti-boy move.

You know a few scars means everything to a boy. There is always a good story to tell with a scar. Everytime you get one everyone wants to know how you got it. Schools have become too wussified. Hey what was the game called where you took those big combs back in the 70's and then you smashed the other guy's knuckles with them? You remember you had to balance the comb on your hand without it falling and then the other guy would try to pick up the comb and smash your knuckles with it. We had a name for it but I can't remember now. I think it was called "bloody knuckles".

carter08
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
anyone remember quarters?

Emerson1
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
You know a few scars means everything to a boy. There is always a good story to tell with a scar. Everytime you get one everyone wants to know how you got it. Schools have become too wussified. Hey what was the game called where you took those big combs back in the 70's and then you smashed the other guy's knuckles with them? You remember you had to balance the comb on your hand without it falling and then the other guy would try to pick up the comb and smash your knuckles with it. We had a name for it but I can't remember now. I think it was called "bloody knuckles".
We had a game like that, except you spun a quarter. The other guy had to stop it with his finger while keeping it standing. If you didn't, you put your fist flat, and the other person slammed the quarter into your knuckles.

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:31 PM
anyone remember quarters?

The drinking game or the one where you spun the quarter and then had to grab it to make a basket?

carter08
10-18-2006, 06:32 PM
The drinking game or the one where you spun the quarter and then had to grab it to make a basket?

the one where you flicked quarters

AggieJohn
10-18-2006, 06:36 PM
as a teacher, i will allow my kids to play tag till their dying day

jlwzz
10-18-2006, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by piratebg
My favorite playground games were:

Flag Football
Touch Football
Dodgeball
Wallball
Four Square
Smear the Queer wow fogot about wallball but your list is the games we played growing up,and just a few bloody noses is all i remember happening.

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:42 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
as a teacher, i will allow my kids to play tag till their dying day

Tag you are just doing that tagging them. Well, I guess in today's times you can't let them play Wall ball, smear the queer, and dodge ball. All the good games we had back then I guess are long gone. I just can't see it........."Hey fella's let's go play a game of tag." Just doesn't have the bite to it.:(

LHPfactory
10-19-2006, 07:15 AM
"Hey queer bait, if you can dodge a wrench you you can dodge a ball"...Patches Ohulahan in the movie dodge ball.....hahaha.... Yeah I loved dodge ball (also called war ball). My boys play these games , im not gonna let them be nancy boys.

herewego
10-19-2006, 07:29 AM
I stay as far away from the band hall as possible.

I am proud to say i have NEVER entered our high school band hall :D

another talentless idiot who didn't have the gifts to play sports AND athletics. That's OK. My son's playing trombone in Philadelphia now. As for football, all he can do is talk about "the good ole'd days". He's thanks me many times for allowing him to do both.

He's making $68,000 a year and couldn't be prouder of him.

Don't assume that EVERY poster on this board went to Redneck U.

3afan
10-19-2006, 07:34 AM
Originally posted by herewego
...sports AND athletics. ...

???? whats the difference ???

pancho villa
10-19-2006, 07:43 AM
It is the parents fault that are schools are going to this. To many limp wristed, liberal wimps out there. My son is a skinny little 16 year old kid and he plays FOOTBALL, Just like all boys should. We let to many worms in this country dictate what the rest of us can and cannot do.

herewego
10-19-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by pancho villa
It is the parents fault that are schools are going to this. To many limp wristed, liberal wimps out there. My son is a skinny little 16 year old kid and he plays FOOTBALL, Just like all boys should. We let to many worms in this country dictate what the rest of us can and cannot do.

No other attitude would be EXPECTED from someone in Brazoria County. I think it's inbred when you're born there. Roughneck, Redneck, Redneck, Roughneck.

"What's the difference?"

I just pray you don't beat your wife every night

3afan
10-19-2006, 08:06 AM
No other attitude would be EXPECTED from someone in Brazoria County. I think it's inbred when you're born there. Roughneck, Redneck, Redneck, Roughneck.

"What's the difference?"

dang !!!!! :eek:

herewego
10-19-2006, 08:12 AM

Barking up the ROM tree

Fotbol
10-19-2006, 08:15 AM
I think tag is responsible for alot of Football players, speed, and juke moves, now we will have a bunch of boring RB's in the next few years, no moves at all.

herewego
10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
i]Originally posted by pancho villa [/i]
It is the parents fault that are (don't you mean "our"?) schools are going to this. To many limp wristed, liberal wimps out there [/QUOTE] (POLITICAL INNUENDO) . My son is a skinny little 16 year old kid and he plays FOOTBALL (So he can teach HIS kids to judge all other kids like you've taught him to?) , just like all boys should. We let to many worms in this country dictate what the rest of us can and cannot do.[QUOTE]

herewego
10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Bellville 42, West Columbia 13
Sweeny17, West Columbia 14
Wharton 33, West Columbia 27

Now that's what I call justice

pancho villa
10-19-2006, 08:35 AM
Bellville 42, West Columbia 13
Sweeny17, West Columbia 14
Wharton 33, West Columbia 27

Now that's what I call justice

I guess your son was in the band? I'm sorry he was not able to play football cause of his upbringing.

He is a boy?

Maroon87
10-19-2006, 08:40 AM
No wonder some parents choose to home-school their kids.

herewego
10-19-2006, 08:44 AM
I guess your son was in the band? I'm sorry he was not able to play football cause of his upbringing.

He is a boy?

Read the board, dufus. He was in both and all-state in both. Not tall enough for college so he accepted a FULL music scholarship to UNT........ that's University of North Texas because I'm sure you've never set foot outisde the scary confines of the thriving metropolis of Sargent

pancho villa
10-19-2006, 09:09 AM
Read the board, dufus. He was in both and all-state in both. Not tall enough for college so he accepted a FULL music scholarship to UNT........ that's University of North Texas because I'm sure you've never set foot outisde the scary confines of the thriving metropolis of Sargent

My son would never be in the band. He would rather get poked in the eye with a sharp stick. Did your son march at halftime? Our kids laugh when we see other players march in their uniform.

3afan
10-19-2006, 09:11 AM
NOTICE - this thread to be closed soon!

herewego
10-19-2006, 09:48 AM
My son would never be in the band. He would rather get poked in the eye with a sharp stick. Did your son march at halftime? Our kids laugh when we see other players march in their uniform.

Why? I've got to hear this.

zeus63
10-19-2006, 09:54 AM

Just for the record, it is a proven fact that children that have a musical back ground do better in school. I commend those kids that can balance multiple obligations.

Ranger Mom
10-19-2006, 10:05 AM
I just had to put my 2 cents worth in.

My 2 boys played in the band up until their freshman year.

They both played football too.

The oldest one plays a guitar, can play some piano, rides bulls.....not a "sissy" boy in the least.

I think it's crappy to make fun of the kids who chose to play in the band.

We have several starters on our team who are in band AND play football!!

LH Panther Mom
10-19-2006, 10:13 AM
Oh good grief.

If someone is going to http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/poke.gif , IMO there shouldn't be any surprises when http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hitwithrock.gif happens.

(Sorry, RM.....not referring to you. :) )

Ranger Mom
10-19-2006, 10:14 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
Oh good grief.

If someone is going to http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/poke.gif , IMO there shouldn't be any surprises when http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/hitwithrock.gif happens.

(Sorry, RM.....not referring to you. :) )

I know...I know where you are going with that......I just thought I would give MY opinion too!!:D :D

Those smilies kind of lose their effect on the black background!!

Maybe quoting them will help!

neck_06
10-19-2006, 05:45 PM

"What's the difference?"

geez, sounds like you used to be from around here, since you know so much about it.

p.s. - i don't have any problem with the band, but i do have a problem with kids not being able to play TAG!!! i think the same thing poncho, kids parents should only be able to say what their kids are going to do, not the whole school. just like when the junior high "MORP" got cancelled because a few parents didn't want to spend monet on it.

***just because little johnny can't run as fast and always gets tagged doesn't mean that the whole school should stop playing, johnny should just:
a) get faster
b) suck it up, stop crying, and just enjoy playing the game
c) go play some other game
d) fake an injury (used by many kids when i was in school)

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:16 PM
let me clear myself up... on the other thread I was just having a little fun with the band comments... I was in band at one time, I know all of us guys in percussion played football (junior high) until I didn't play in 8th grade (was in Port Lavaca, I had to chose my 8th grade year because of a scheduling conflict and chose band because we had invested money in the drum etc...)...

but in all honesty, it is a cool evening down here on the gulf-coast... have cold breeze blowing, leaves falling, has that "football" smell to it... saw about six kids out there playing tackle football in the street... what I didn't see was three kids with pots and pans strapped around their necks beating 'em with wooden spoons with another three blowin' kazoos and marching...

3afan
10-19-2006, 06:18 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
NOTICE - this thread to be closed soon!

ditto, this thread will go to hell soon enuf ..........

Emerson1
10-19-2006, 06:19 PM
loser

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:20 PM

hey now, don't talk to yourself... and don't bring up this thread being closed, no bueno... everyone needs to know about this mass American wussification movement...

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:20 PM
let me clear myself up... on the other thread I was just having a little fun with the band comments... I was in band at one time, I know all of us guys in percussion played football (junior high) until I didn't play in 8th grade (was in Port Lavaca, I had to chose my 8th grade year because of a scheduling conflict and chose band because we had invested money in the drum etc...)...

but in all honesty, it is a cool evening down here on the gulf-coast... have cold breeze blowing, leaves falling, has that "football" smell to it... saw about six kids out there playing tackle football in the street... what I didn't see was three kids with pots and pans strapped around their necks beating 'em with wooden spoons with another three blowin' kazoos and marching...

didn't you forget to mention twirling batons?

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:21 PM
By the way, this thread was just reopened

carter08
10-19-2006, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
loser

What did he do to you?

That was an uncalled for personal attack

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
didn't you forget to mention twirling batons?

yah, forgot... yet another example of wussification... my mother twirled fire batons back in her day :D

Emerson1
10-19-2006, 06:22 PM
By the way, this thread was just reopened
http://img120.imageshack.us/img120/1427/captainobviousrr4.jpg

Emerson1
10-19-2006, 06:23 PM
What did he do to you?

he is an old man, what is he gonna do about it?

He is about to eat some soup because hard food will make his teeth fall out.

3afan
loser

haha - have fun 11AM on Saturday !!!!!!

3afan
What did he do to you?

carter - its all good! :D

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:24 PM
yah, forgot... yet another example of wussification... my mother twirled fire batons back in her day :D

Cuero's band has always sucked anyway. I probably would have chosen snuff dipping like you over band THERE!

3afan
10-19-2006, 06:27 PM
he is an old man, what is he gonna do about it?

He is about to eat some soup because hard food will make his teeth fall out.

:mad:

:D

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:28 PM
Cuero's band has always sucked anyway. I probably would have chosen snuff dipping like you over band THERE!

every band has always sucked... jk

Cuero's was actually good WAYYY back in the day and are starting to win a lot of awards these days, but there aren't as many kids in band anymore, there have been too many band-director changes etc...

Cuero plays football not trumpet...

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:30 PM
every band has always sucked... jk

Cuero's was actually good WAYYY back in the day and are starting to win a lot of awards these days, but there aren't as many kids in band anymore, there have been too many band-director changes etc...

Cuero plays football not trumpet...

Yea like Robbie Straight. Hmmm, wonder if they play football

in Huntsville!

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:31 PM
Yea like Robbie Straight. Hmmm, wonder if they play football

in Huntsville!

Ha... got us a mature one here...

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Ha... got us a mature one here...

Yea ba-duh, ba-duh

I thought so

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:35 PM
hey, everyone, I'll give the first poster who knows just what in the hell herewego is talking about and why he has a crush on Robert Strait $1,000.00...

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:36 PM
hey, everyone, I'll give the first poster who knows just what in the hell herewego is talking about and why he has a crush on Robert Strait $1,000.00...

because he makes the best damn license plates in town!:clap: :devil:

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:39 PM
because he makes the best damn license plates in town!:clap: :devil:

ha, I'm sure glad you're clappin' for yourself a lot tonight...

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:41 PM
ha, I'm sure glad you're clappin' for yourself a lot tonight...

come on, it's all in fun...... but surely you can think of a better one than that...

:hand:

Ranger Mom
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
And here I thought this thread was about the demise of recess!!:doh:

Gobbla2001
10-19-2006, 06:45 PM
come on, it's all in fun...... but surely you can think of a better one than that...

:hand:

I'm pretty sure I can think of better ones than that?

Let's see, you're from Caldwell or at Caldwell? Could we discuss Jason Carter and the legal problems he had while at A&M???

Sure we could, but why don't we?

Because Jason Carter and Caldwell don't have a damn thing to do with this and I'm not gunna run someone's names through the coals when I can't think of anything better to say on the subject at hand...