PDA

View Full Version : Peterson to play again for Oklahoma THIS YEAR!!!

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 03:21 PM
NORMAN, Okla. -- Adrian Peterson plans to play at least one more game for Oklahoma.

The star tailback, speaking publicly for the first time since breaking his collarbone Saturday, said he intends to play in a bowl game if the Sooners reach the postseason.

"I would enjoy going out there and playing with the guys," Peterson said Wednesday at a news conference.

The junior was injured after falling into the end zone and landing awkwardly on his left shoulder at the end of a spectacular 53-year touchdown run in the fourth quarter of Oklahoma's 34-9 win over Iowa State.

Peterson said he could be back in four to six weeks, but Oklahoma trainer Scott Anderson offered a six-week timeframe for Peterson to return. The injury was being treated without surgery, Anderson said.

Peterson, with coach Bob Stoops standing nearby, didn't take questions about whether he plans to return to school next year or enter the NFL draft.

Oklahoma is 4-2 and 1-1 in the Big 12 entering this Saturday's home game against Colorado. The 20th-ranked Sooners need two more wins to become bowl eligible.

If Peterson makes it back in four weeks, he could conceivably play in Oklahoma's final two regular-season games, at Baylor on Nov. 18 and at Oklahoma State on Nov. 25.

The Big 12 title game is Dec. 2.

"It depends on how things heal," Peterson said. "I've got to take my time and let it heal correctly."

Peterson said he immediately knew something was "seriously wrong" when he hit the turf on his final play. He said he's still in "a lot of pain" but that he plans to maintain his conditioning while the injury heals.

Peterson ran for 183 yards and two touchdowns against Iowa State. He has 935 yards and 10 touchdowns this season and is the second-leading rusher in country.

Peterson set an NCAA Division I-A freshman record with 1,925 rushing yards in 2004 as he helped lead Oklahoma to the BCS title game and finished second in the Heisman Trophy voting. He's rushed for at least 100 yards in 22 of his 30 games at Oklahoma, including nine straight to start his career.

His performance Saturday moved him into fourth place on Oklahoma's all-time rushing list. He would need only 150 to match 1978 Heisman Trophy winner Billy Sims' total of 4,118 yards.

Despite all that success, Peterson has been fairly injury-prone in his Oklahoma career. He dislocated his left shoulder in fall practice in 2004, aggravated it during the regular season and then had surgery in the offseason.

He missed one game last season and was severely limited in three others with a sprained right ankle.

"Adrian has always had a great capacity for recovery, and certainly he's motivated," Anderson said.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

Boosty_Hondo
10-18-2006, 03:26 PM
wow i didnt even know this happened that is so sad every year he has such great potential and gets hurt ... did he end up breaking the record for most carreer yards?

coach
10-18-2006, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by Boosty_Hondo
wow i didnt even know this happened that is so sad every year he has such great potential and gets hurt ... did he end up breaking the record for most carreer yards?

no he was like 150 yrds short or something like that

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
I hope he comes out this year. Then, maybe passing on Reggie Bush won't look as bad to everyone else.

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I hope he comes out this year. Then, maybe passing on Reggie Bush won't look as bad to everyone else.
haha...you don't think the Raiders would take him? They just might be dumb enough to not take Quinn and go for AP instead even though they have Jordan. Also, do you think that Houston will finish behind everybody else? I think Tennessee is worse than Houston and they play twice this year. Additionally, The Texas REALLY need some OL help so they might pursue that avenue instead. It's hard to tell though...

GreenMachine
10-18-2006, 03:42 PM
I hope he comes out this year. Then, maybe passing on Reggie Bush won't look as bad to everyone else. Yea, the Texans should have a good shot at getting him next year. :clap:

whtfbplaya
10-18-2006, 03:52 PM
Been there done that, no fun!

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by coach
no he was like 150 yrds short or something like that

I thought Garrett Wolfe was ahead of Peterson? I know he is up there. Last time I looked he was ahead but not by much.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
haha...you don't think the Raiders would take him? They just might be dumb enough to not take Quinn and go for AP instead even though they have Jordan. Also, do you think that Houston will finish behind everybody else? I think Tennessee is worse than Houston and they play twice this year. Additionally, The Texas REALLY need some OL help so they might pursue that avenue instead. It's hard to tell though...
There are a lot of teams out there that are just as bad, but I could definitely see Tennessee getting better as the season goes on.

As for Oakland, they need to either groom a QB or pick one up. I know they love Andrew Walter, but he'd better take some huge steps forward or else they'll probably go a different direction (i.e. Quinn) in the draft.

And back to Peterson, if he doesn't come back before the end of the year, his stock will take a big hit, maybe even out of the top ten-range.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 04:09 PM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
I thought Garrett Wolfe was ahead of Peterson? I know he is up there. Last time I looked he was ahead but not by much.
You're right. Wolfe currently has 4,668 career yards while Peterson has 3,968.

Stownhorse
10-18-2006, 04:15 PM

That kid is small but he is a BEAST!!! Thanks for the stats

Emerson1
10-18-2006, 04:16 PM
and the record is 6397 set by Ron Dayne, neither of them had a chance to get close.

JasperDog94
10-18-2006, 04:17 PM
The Texans will pass on Peterson (given the opportunity) for the same reason they passed on Bush...character issues.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 04:25 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
and the record is 6397 set by Ron Dayne, neither of them had a chance to get close.
If AD had stayed healthy, he was on track for 1900 yards. He had a chance if he would've come back. He would've been anywhere from 1400-1500 yards short, but it's a moot point now. I'd be NFL-bound if I was him. OU's got a ways to go before being a factor in the race for the NC.