PDA

View Full Version : How many coach's sons are QB's and why?

herewego
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Seems to be an epidemic. In several cases, the coach even holds his kid back in earlier grades strictly for an upper hand later in high school athletics.

Any stories to share? Politics? Talent? Scholarship assurance? Interested to hear input.

GreenMachine
10-18-2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe because they are around the game so much? They are at practices helping out, throwing balls, etc. I know one of our coach's son is in my boys 5th grade class and already has a "gun" for an arm.

herewego
10-18-2006, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Maybe because they are around the game so much? They are at practices helping out, throwing balls, etc. I know one of our coach's son is in my boys 5th grade class and already has a "gun" for an arm.

But if you have a kid in the same grade and that kid wants to be QB some day, you better move outta dodge because it ain't gonna happen.

olddawggreen
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
Its very common, but think about it, we all want to help our kids get ahead. Some of us teach our kids our proffessions or trades. Coaches are no different. This is what they do and it is one thing they can do for their kids to help them with their future.

SWMustang
10-18-2006, 10:54 AM
aren't coaches more likely to be former athletes themselves - thereby increasing the chances (through genetics) of the kid having more athletic ability than the accountant's kid?

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 11:34 AM
I think it just depends on the coach.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 12:08 PM
When I played ball, back when we used single bar facemasks, our qb was the coach's son. The coach had two sons 2 years apart who each started in their junior years. No telling how many good kids got overlooked in those 4 years but I knew at least one. There was going to be a qb controversy in my junior year but the kid did the coach a favor and got busted that summer lifting some cases of beer from a local Italian restaurant. He and his buddy, a really mean and huge linebacker, got thrown off the team. Both of them were what was quaintly referred to in those days as juvenile delinquents (thugs for you youngsters out there). Too bad for the team though as they could have really contributed had they not been so messed up. The coach resigned in his son's final season. We went 2-7 that year. LOL

GreenMachine
10-18-2006, 12:17 PM
When I played, the coach's son was a TE. Got thrown to quite a bit, but not cause he was the coach's son or maybe it was, but he was big and could catch.

herewego
10-18-2006, 01:11 PM
I also remember a certain school where a coach starred his son as QB during a brief career at the school and when they didn't make the playoffs, he swaggered onto the field drunk when one of the teams that defeated his team met its bi-district opponent halfway at the drunken players' stadium a few weeks later.

Sadly, that player's dad eventually lost his job. The son was killed in an auto wreck in a different city where the father got another job a couple years later. Tragedy.

44INAROW
10-18-2006, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by herewego
I also remember a certain school where a coach starred his son as QB during a brief career at the school and when they didn't make the playoffs, he swaggered onto the field drunk when one of the teams that defeated his team met its bi-district opponent halfway at the drunken players' stadium a few weeks later.

Sadly, that player's dad eventually lost his job. The son was killed in an auto wreck in a different city where the father got another job a couple years later. Tragedy.

sounds very familiar -

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 02:07 PM
A lot of it has to do with a player's headiness and understanding of the game. Take a guy like Ryan Leaf, for example. That kid may have had the best raw tools of any QB to come out of college since Andre Ware. Could throw a football 85 stinkin' yards, and be accurate within the distance spanning Calista Flockhart's thighs. Same with Kordell Stewart.

I remember hearing a story about a Steelers' minicamp a few years back. They had two other QB's they were high on (Tommy Maddox and Tee Martin) and Cowher really wanted to give them a shot since Kordell was so inconsistent. Kordell was a weekday warrior, though. He tore it up in practice and made it tough on the coaching staff, so they started having some fun and games with it. One of those games involved placing a trash can 65 yards downfield and having those QB's launch it towards the can. They got three tries to see who got closest.

Martin started off. He got a running start, chunked the ball, got within five yards. Maddox had a bigger arm than Martin, so he didn't need the running start but he wasn't quite as accurate. Then Kordell grabbed his first ball, stood there, flicked the ball over his shoulder (off his back foot, no head start), and drained the long ball.

The coaches and other QB's were amazed, and bet him he couldn't do it again.

But he did. Twice.

He held onto the starting job, then proceeded to finish that year with a pathetic QB rating... somewhere in the low-70's (I want to say it was 2001).

Meanwhile, you have guys with no arms whatsoever who grew up in football families tearing up the league. Drew Brees is a perfect example (his grandfather was legendary Gregory-Portland HC Ray Akins, his uncle legendary UT QB Marty Akins). You can also look to Joe Montana, Steve Young, and Kurt Warner as guys who just knew football, but had about as much arm strength as the QB from your local Pop Warner team.

I've heard all the stories that coaches favor their sons over a more talented player riding the bench. While this may be true, that more talented player isn't always the better player.

herewego
10-18-2006, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by 44INAROW
sounds very familiar -

Mmmmm, hmmmmm. It should.

Sweetwater Red
10-18-2006, 03:05 PM
Kent Jackson's son is the QB for our 7th grade team....Jackson
being the HC at Sweetwater of course.

carter08
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
I have this friend, and her brother plays pee-wee football.

He's the QB.
His dad is coach
His dads Sand Company sponsors the team

I think this is completly unfair to the rest of the little kids on the team :D

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 03:11 PM
In several cases, the coach even holds his kid back in earlier grades strictly for an upper hand later in high school athletics.

It has pretty much been proven (in boys primarily) that children that have been held back a year or kept from starting school until a year later than normal tend to prosper more in all aspects not just athletics. These children are more socially ready for a school environment and have more advanced skills. Being held back a year can really help a child that would have been very average to become above average in all aspects of life. There is a direct correlation to confidence levels that is where the difference really lies. Just because a child is held back doesn't make this child a better athlete or any more inteligent than what the child would have been anyways. It just gives the child more confidence in his/her own abilities and allows them to get out of their own way to achieve success. It isn't a new practice by any means. If I ever have a boy he WILL be held back for his own good.

coach
10-18-2006, 03:12 PM
speaking from a coaches son your dad wants you to be the best so he wants you to be the point guard or the qb or the short stop leading of also you are constantly around the game i was in the dugout when i was two and was on the sideline in state championship games and alot of the times the players will play catch with you or you throw the ball around on the sideline during the game and what you dont realize is your soaking in all the action so i would say there are alot of reasons why the coaches sons are qbs

herewego
10-18-2006, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by coach
speaking from a coaches son your dad wants you to be the best so he wants you to be the point guard or the qb or the short stop leading of also you are constantly around the game i was in the dugout when i was two and was on the sideline in state championship games and alot of the times the players will play catch with you or you throw the ball around on the sideline during the game and what you dont realize is your soaking in all the action so i would say there are alot of reasons why the coaches sons are qbs

whew.. 107-word sentence

herewego
10-18-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
It has pretty much been proven (in boys primarily) that children that have been held back a year or kept from starting school until a year later than normal tend to prosper more in all aspects not just athletics. These children are more socially ready for a school environment and have more advanced skills. Being held back a year can really help a child that would have been very average to become above average in all aspects of life. There is a direct correlation to confidence levels that is where the difference really lies. Just because a child is held back doesn't make this child a better athlete or any more inteligent than what the child would have been anyways. It just gives the child more confidence in his/her own abilities and allows them to get out of their own way to achieve success. It isn't a new practice by any means. If I ever have a boy he WILL be held back for his own good.

Yea, I think it's great when you can play your senior year as QB and be 19-years-old against a bunch of little 15 and and 16-year-old kids. Now THAT"S impressive!

coach
10-18-2006, 03:28 PM
whew.. 107-word sentence

do u mind proofreading my homework next week?

herewego
10-18-2006, 03:38 PM
do u mind proofreading my homework next week?

Use MS Word. It's a lot cheaper.

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 03:45 PM
Yea, I think it's great when you can play your senior year as QB and be 19-years-old against a bunch of little 15 and and 16-year-old kids. Now THAT"S impressive! Should work for Fitzhenry, too.

Glad to see that you are only capable of viewing this from your own personal rose colored glasses. Look it up. Do some homework. You might change your mind on this subject. HS football is a very short period of time over the course of a lifetime. I choose to do what's best for my child's life, I couldn't care less if he's the QB or the drum major. OK, so I lied there, kid better not be a hornblower. The point is the child has a better chance of prospering at whatever he decides to do in life.

Cameron Crazy
10-18-2006, 03:45 PM
It happened in Graham

herewego
10-18-2006, 03:49 PM
Glad to see that you are only capable of viewing this from your own personal rose colored glasses. Look it up. Do some homework. You might change your mind on this subject. HS football is a very short period of time over the course of a lifetime. I choose to do what's best for my child's life, I couldn't care less if he's the QB or the drum major. OK, so I lied there, kid better not be a hornblower. The point is the child has a better chance of prospering at whatever he decides to do in life.

You got a problem with musicians? Get with the program, Rip Van Winkle. The drum major was also the QB in Breckenridge a few years ago. Sounds like you want to live your life through your kid, if you ask me.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Cameron Crazy
It happened in Graham
Who's the coach in Graham, McCoy? If so, I don't think you guys have ANY room to complain.

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 03:54 PM
You got a problem with musicians?

Yep.

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 03:55 PM
I bet you polish your kid's trumpet for him every day.

herewego
10-18-2006, 03:59 PM
Yep.

Then perhaps you should spend more time finding a talent you can actually enjoy beyond the locker room after graduating instead of clinging onto faded high school memories that are laid to rest when you finish high school. Don't be so narrow-minded and redneck.

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Don't be so narrow-minded and redneck.

Dude, you just insulted 90% of the posters on the Downlow with that comment. Besides, you aren't one to talk about narrow mindedness. Go back and read some of your previous posts in just this thread. I'm sorry that your HS coach played his son at QB instead of you and I'm sorry that you ran off crying to the band director about it so that he felt sorry for you and made you the Drum Major to make it all better. Get over yourself and move on.

herewego
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Dude, you just insulted 90% of the posters on the Downlow with that comment. Besides, you aren't one to talk about narrow mindedness. Go back and read some of your previous posts in just this thread. I'm sorry that your HS coach played his son at QB instead of you and I'm sorry that you ran off crying to the band director about it so that he felt sorry for you and made you the Drum Major to make it all better. Get over yourself and move on.

Beer gut, no doubt! LMAO

..... and how about being a REAL man and allowing private messages, you washed up coward.

Are you saying that all posters are redneck? I think YOU just did the insulting, pardner

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 04:11 PM
Beer gut, no doubt! LMAO
I resemble this remark.

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 04:17 PM
Beer gut, no doubt! LMAO

..... and how about being a REAL man and allowing private messages, you washed up coward.

Are you saying that all posters are redneck? I think YOU just did the insulting, pardner

My PM's are open. Feel free to give me a shout. By the way, I only said 90% of the posters are Redneck. I think most here would agree with that number too. I guess that your 75 posts or so wouldn't give you enough time to have figured that one out for yourself though.

pirate4state
10-18-2006, 04:18 PM
http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/images/smilies/popcorn.gif

herewego
10-18-2006, 04:19 PM
Notice to other posters: If you played football and post now, good for you. If you play or played an instrument AND played football, double good for you.

For someone to make a comment about a hornblower to start this whole thing and then turn into a bullying wuss about it speaks volumes about Mr. Iowa Park's upbringing. If you have no talents, then lash out and use childish names to compensate. Pretty sad if you ask me.

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 04:22 PM
Beer gut, no doubt!

and this guy says I'm a name caller :rolleyes: give me a break.

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2006, 04:29 PM
http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/argue2.gif

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
I guess I must have won the argument. He quit posting and I have yet to receive a PM from him. Guess he's runnin' skeer't.

GreenMachine
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/argue2.gif LOL :D :D :D

44INAROW
10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/argue2.gif

wonder where I can get the code they are talking translated?

sorry, I couldn't resist Debbie :D :D :D

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 04:39 PM
it speaks volumes about Mr. Iowa Park's upbringing

By the way, you need to apologize to my Mama. You don't know me and you don't know her.

LH Panther Mom
10-18-2006, 04:43 PM
wonder where I can get the code they are talking translated?

sorry, I couldn't resist Debbie :D :D :D
I believe it's http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/yap2.gif. ;)

carter08
10-18-2006, 04:50 PM
I believe it's http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/yap2.gif. ;)

HAHAHA :clap:

herewego
10-18-2006, 04:50 PM
Thanks for your touching apology in your private message, sir. For the record, I have a child who was in both athletics and band and excelled at both. Don't see anything wrong with that. When he was declared too short to play the position he wanted as receiver, he accepted a full music scholarship to UNT.

Proud papa!

GreenMachine
10-18-2006, 04:53 PM
Thanks for your touching apology in your private message, sir. For the record, I have a child who was in both athletics and band and excelled at both. Don't see anything wrong with that. When he was declared too short to play the position he wanted as receiver, he accepted a full music scholarship to UNT.

Proud papa! I always tell my kids that I don't care what they do as long as they enjoy it and give it all they got. :)

herewego
10-18-2006, 04:55 PM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
I always tell my kids that I don't care what they do as long as they enjoy it and give it all they got. :)

now that's what I call good parenting!

bobcat1
10-18-2006, 04:57 PM
I see you are making lot's of new friends on this board too Herewego. By the way where did you go last week on the other board.:wave:

GreenMonster
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM

Proud papa!

Now, Now. We're not supposed to post information from Private Messages, hence the word PRIVATE. I'm also still waiting for you to apologize to my Mama.

jlwzz
10-18-2006, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by olddawggreen
Its very common, but think about it, we all want to help our kids get ahead. Some of us teach our kids our proffessions or trades. Coaches are no different. This is what they do and it is one thing they can do for their kids to help them with their future. I like this answer:thinking:

jlwzz
10-18-2006, 05:44 PM
speaking from a coaches son your dad wants you to be the best so he wants you to be the point guard or the qb or the short stop leading of also you are constantly around the game i was in the dugout when i was two and was on the sideline in state championship games and alot of the times the players will play catch with you or you throw the ball around on the sideline during the game and what you dont realize is your soaking in all the action so i would say there are alot of reasons why the coaches sons are qbs this is so true too, this is probably the best reason, but i do not like the coach that plays his son if he is not the best choice for the team. the sr's deserve to win and not help build a team for next year

herewego
10-18-2006, 05:50 PM
Originally posted by jlwzz
this is so true too, this is probably the best reason, but i do not like the coach that plays his son if he is not the best choice for the team. the sr's deserve to win and not help build a team for next year

That's what I'M talkin' bout....

Old Green
10-18-2006, 05:57 PM
sounds very familiar - Yes. very familiar:thinking:

olddawggreen
10-18-2006, 06:54 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I have this friend, and her brother plays pee-wee football.

He's the QB.
His dad is coach
His dads Sand Company sponsors the team

I think this is completly unfair to the rest of the little kids on the team :D

At the Pee Wee and Little League level it is, but some of these guys fall the hardest when they can't controll it any more in high school.

olddawggreen
10-18-2006, 06:58 PM

I agree GM, if I had it to do over, I would definatly hold em back. Its a real advantage.

VWG
10-18-2006, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Who's the coach in Graham, McCoy? If so, I don't think you guys have ANY room to complain.

Yes, Brad McCoy is the AD/HC in Graham.
You might want to take a poll in Graham... as they are currently 2-5 this year, and have an overall record of 6-11 since McCoy has been there. Missed the playoffs for the first time in 6 years last year as his first year in Graham. Lost to WF Hirschi this past week 34-21, and WF Hirschi hadn't won a district game in something like 3 or 4 years. So....... wins/losses dictate whether or not there is room to complain or not. I think this goes for any coach.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by VWG
Yes, Brad McCoy is the AD/HC in Graham.
You might want to take a poll in Graham... as they are currently 2-5 this year, and have an overall record of 6-11 since McCoy has been there. Missed the playoffs for the first time in 6 years last year as his first year in Graham. Lost to WF Hirschi this past week 34-21, and WF Hirschi hadn't won a district game in something like 3 or 4 years. So....... wins/losses dictate whether or not there is room to complain or not. I think this goes for any coach.
I was actually talking more about the part where his son is the QB. Don't really keep up with that part of the state as much, but I've seen his other son and figured McCoy v. 2.0 would get some of that talent, too.

txkmom
10-19-2006, 09:32 AM
My son is the QB, and his dad is an assistant coach who did not put him in that position. He's been on the field, in the fieldhouse, watching film, and listening to coach-talk since day one. All three of ours have been kicking the ball since they could pick it up, because that's what their daddy was good at, and he introduced them to it as something fun to do in the yard. We had a pvc goalpost stuck in a bucket of concrete (santa brought) for years until it fell apart. There was no grand plan, it's just the lifestyle. In most cases, that gives a coach's kid more insight and familiarity with all aspects of the sport. Although we have raised them with certain expectations, what they do with it, and what attitude they have, is up to them.

44INAROW
10-19-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by txkmom
My son is the QB, and his dad is an assistant coach who did not put him in that position. He's been on the field, in the fieldhouse, watching film, and listening to coach-talk since day one. All three of ours have been kicking the ball since they could pick it up, because that's what their daddy was good at, and he introduced them to it as something fun to do in the yard. We had a pvc goalpost stuck in a bucket of concrete (santa brought) for years until it fell apart. There was no grand plan, it's just the lifestyle. In most cases, that gives a coach's kid more insight and familiarity with all aspects of the sport. Although we have raised them with certain expectations, what they do with it, and what attitude they have, is up to them.

nicely put Txkmom :)