PDA

View Full Version : gainesville 2003 vs gilmer 2006

cats2151
10-18-2006, 09:49 AM
I think gainesvilles 2003 team was one of the best 3a teams ive seen in a long time.they even played great defence.How cool would it be to see how gilmer 2006 would do aginst gainesville 2003.I think that gainesville team would beat gilmer 2006.

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-18-2006, 09:53 AM
i disagree. gainesville 03 was a good team. really good team. but they put up only 28 i think against my alma mater and gave up 7. LW was in a BIG down year that year after loosing all but one person on defense and that person only started 3 games. after looking at the successes that gilmer has had, i have to take gilmer over g'ville.

cats2151
10-18-2006, 09:59 AM
no purvy would run wild.

JasperDog94
10-18-2006, 10:03 AM
Sounds like an ESPN arguement.;)

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 10:06 AM
Having watched that Gainesville team in the playoffs...their speed on the defensive side of the ball was ridiculous. I do think Gilmer would have a great shot against though because of their ability to throw the ball. Nobody would have too much of a running game against the front 7 of Gainesville. Factor in that Gilmer's D isn't the strongest...and this game could turn into a game of whoever has the ball last wins. I think it would look very similar to Celina vs Garrison in 2001. Celina was better all-around...but Garrison was loaded with offensive weapons and was able to match Celina score for score even though their defense couldn't do too much. Celina finally got a stop late in the 4th and that was the difference.

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-18-2006, 10:15 AM
when i watched them, it was only the second or third game of the season. they prolly hadnt gelled completely yet.

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 10:17 AM
Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
when i watched them, it was only the second or third game of the season. they prolly hadnt gelled completely yet.

Yeah. Their defense was one of the 2 best I had ever watched in 3A. It was just sick watching them. You knew you had know chance...and it was the state semifinals! :mad:

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-18-2006, 10:25 AM
i didnt really think LW had much of a chance any in that game. i still rooted for them, they are my home-town-team. but atleast that year they could say they were beat by the eventual state champs!:D i think the final record for the season was 1-9...terrible

olddawggreen
10-18-2006, 10:33 AM
Here ya go;

CALPREPS.COM
Your source for high school football scores, standings & rankings

PROJECT A MATCHUP

at Gilmer (TX)
[2003] Gainesville (TX) 34, [2006] Gilmer (TX) 31

at Gainesville (TX)
[2003] Gainesville (TX) 35, [2006] Gilmer (TX) 31

at neutral site
[2003] Gainesville (TX) 35, [2006] Gilmer (TX) 31

http://wwwcalpreps.com-calpreps.com

injuredinmelee
10-18-2006, 10:33 AM
the '02 Everman team would have beat gilmer '06 by three touchdowns.

Why are we talkign about how great this 06 team is when they havent won anything yet?

injuredinmelee
10-18-2006, 10:34 AM
Wylie had the 03 gainesville team down at halftime. I have never considered them even CLOSE to one of the best 3a teams in history.

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 10:40 AM
why don't ya'll talk about somebody else for a while:doh:. we are quite boring and frankly not as good as any past champions. if we will all our games we shall probably go down as the worst undefeated team of all time.

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
why don't ya'll talk about somebody else for a while:doh:. we are quite boring and frankly not as good as any past champions. if we will all our games we shall probably go down as the worst undefeated team of all time.
ROFL...good one! :thumbsup:

injuredinmelee
10-18-2006, 10:45 AM

Oh I think Gilmer is scary good. They could easily go down as one of the best ever but the teams in that Upper Echelon of Praise have won championships. Gilmer hasnt won it yet. there is a long long row still to hoe. Everyone is so ready to crown themnow. Refer to Denny Green going nuts the other night it is the same thing. Fans and media are always lookign for a darling and speculating what if or when we.. lets let the football team get it done then we will talk about EVER.

pirate4state
10-18-2006, 10:48 AM
why don't ya'll talk about somebody else for a while:doh:. we are quite boring and frankly not as good as any past champions. if we will all our games we shall probably go down as the worst undefeated team of all time. It is not only annoying to you, but to the rest of us too. ;) I know it isn't people from GILMER starting it, but if it makes you feel any better there is always ONE team this board will be in "awe" of during the season. What will NOT make you feel better is that those teams usually don't win STATE! :eek:

Keith7
10-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Gainesville '03 was the best 3a team in the past 20 years.. Fastest team ever + Top notch coaching = fastest top notch team ever

3afan
10-18-2006, 12:00 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
Gainesville '03 was the best 3a team in the past 20 years.. Fastest team ever + Top notch coaching = fastest top notch team ever

dont think so .........

Keith7
10-18-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
dont think so .........

how can u argue with that? don't u see its simple math

injuredinmelee
10-18-2006, 12:21 PM
how can u argue with that? don't u see its simple math
The 02 Everman team would have beat gainesville by three scores. They had the best offense and defense since the 83 Daingerfield team. I watched Everman 3 times in 02 and gainesville 3 times in 03 and i woudl beat my paycheck this month on Everman. They had too many weapons.

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
The 02 Everman team would have beat gainesville by three scores. They had the best offense and defense since the 83 Daingerfield team. I watched Everman 3 times in 02 and gainesville 3 times in 03 and i woudl beat my paycheck this month on Everman. They had too many weapons. If Gainesville is not considered the best team of 02 and 03 should we take away their 03' trophy:thinking:

3afan
10-18-2006, 12:30 PM
they were one of the 2 best in '03 along with Atlanta

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 12:49 PM
they were one of the 2 best in '03 along with Atlanta you missed my point, but nevermind............i was just rambling.

Keith7
10-18-2006, 01:06 PM
Gainesville played the everman 01 team, and they were alright.. Everman wasn't even that great though, I think Pottsboro would have beat them that year

pirate4state
10-18-2006, 01:09 PM
Gainesville played the everman 01 team, and they were alright.. Everman wasn't even that great though, I think Pottsboro would have beat them that year :crazy1: If winning back-to-back state championships makes you "not that great" then where do we sign up?? :doh:

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 01:20 PM

top notch coaching??? It was his first year as a head coach. Show me what track record you have to work with on that comment...:thinking:

3afan
10-18-2006, 01:25 PM
yeah most any coach would have won with that '03 team ...

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
as long as the coach instilled a simplified offense of "hey...you take the ball...and run fast...you guys block for him!" and didn't ask them to do much else with it. It wasn't the most complicated offense in the world that's for sure. ;)

Texasfootball2
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Darn, Sounds like we might as well stop the season right now and give the 3A DI state championship to Gilmer. There have been a lot of GREAT teams that didn't win the title. The best team and most talented team doesn't always win. You would have a hard time convincing me that the '03 Gainseville team or the '06 Gilmer team would have an advantage over the Southlake Carroll teams the last two years they were in 3A. I saw each of these teams play up close except for this years Gilmer team.

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by cats2151
no purvy would run wild. If he wasn't failing

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
Darn, Sounds like we might as well stop the season right now and give the 3A DI state championship to Gilmer. what kind of fun would that be!!!!!!!!!

3afan
10-18-2006, 03:16 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
If he wasn't failing

ha - what ever happened to him anyways?

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 03:17 PM
I know toward the end he failed a lot and he MAY have dropped out. I'm not real sure.

Keith7
10-18-2006, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I know toward the end he failed a lot and he MAY have dropped out. I'm not real sure.

he graduated, he never dropped out.. he had a spot at blinn but wanted to play right away so he quit the team, i talked to him last spring and he said he was goin to play at navarro but i havn't talked to him since and I can't find anything about him on their website so i can't imagine he is doing anything w/ football at the moment

Chris Hart
10-18-2006, 04:02 PM
IMO, Gilmer 06 would roll over Gainesville 03. The Everman team of 02 was light year's better than the 03 Gainesville team. Burnet beat several teams in 02 and 03 that were better than the Gainesville 03 team IMO, but Burnet just didn't show up against Gainesville 03. The leopards were a one-man show, Gilmer is loaded everywhere. Gainesville just caught Burnet on an off night, period. Burnet was a much better team than Gainesville, but, Gainesville was the better team 'that' night...

Keith7
10-18-2006, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Chris Hart
IMO, Gilmer 06 would roll over Gainesville 03. The Everman team of 02 was light year's better than the 03 Gainesville team. Burnet beat several teams in 02 and 03 that were better than the Gainesville 03 team IMO, but Burnet just didn't show up against Gainesville 03. The leopards were a one-man show, Gilmer is loaded everywhere. Gainesville just caught Burnet on an off night, period. Burnet was a much better team than Gainesville, but, Gainesville was the better team 'that' night...

Gainesville wasn't just a one man show, they had three D1 prospects on offense (Terrius Purvey, Chris Brown (Iowa St.), Darcel McBath (Texas Tech)).. Most of their linemen could run under a 5.0 in the 40.. They had more talent then Gilmer could ever dream about

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 04:54 PM
he graduated, he never dropped out.. he had a spot at blinn but wanted to play right away so he quit the team, i talked to him last spring and he said he was goin to play at navarro but i havn't talked to him since and I can't find anything about him on their website so i can't imagine he is doing anything w/ football at the moment ALL THAT TALENT :(

Only if he could of stayed more focused on his grades.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 05:02 PM

Mark Copeland wouldn't of won with that team.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM

After halftime Burnett never had a chance. Gainesville was one of the best 2nd half teams that year that I've ever seen.

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 05:07 PM
They had more talent then Gilmer could ever dream about :thinking:

Keith7
10-18-2006, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by Hansum Stranger
Mark Copeland wouldn't of won with that team.

esp. not with coach cleveland as offensive coordinator

Chris Hart
10-18-2006, 05:12 PM
After halftime Burnett never had a chance. Gainesville was one of the best 2nd half teams that year that I've ever seen. You're right about that, Shipley suffered a concussion in the first half and was a non-factor afterwards. I'm not knocking Gainesville, they were a good team, but that's the finals loss when i went away shaking my head saying, how in the world could Burnet lose to them? IMO, if they had played 10 games, Burnet would've won 9 of 10, that night just happened to be the 1.

Keith7
10-18-2006, 05:16 PM
IMO, if they had played 10 games, Burnet would've won 9 of 10, that night just happened to be the 1.

thats about the most stupid thing i've ever heard.. Gainesville obviously outcoached and out played Burnet that night.. Gainesville's bend but don't break defense kept Burnet in check for most of the night like they would 99 out of 100 games..

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 05:18 PM
You're right about that, Shipley suffered a concussion in the first half and was a non-factor afterwards. I'm not knocking Gainesville, they were a good team, but that's the finals loss when i went away shaking my head saying, how in the world could Burnet lose to them? IMO, if they had played 10 games, Burnet would've won 9 of 10, that night just happened to be the 1.

Are you the band director in Burnett? :D

cats2151
10-18-2006, 05:21 PM
Gainesville wae better than burnet.

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 05:22 PM
Originally posted by cats2151
Gainesville wae better than burnet. BITE YOUR TONGUE! BURNET BULLDOGS ARE THE GREATEST EVER!

cats2151
10-18-2006, 05:23 PM
your right burnet scored on the opening kickoff and the converted on 4th down on a fake put that led to there other td.Gainesvill had so much speed.

Emerson1
10-18-2006, 05:25 PM
Darcell Macbeth was the best kid on the gville team. Without him Forney would of rolled over them, so many times they just had to lob it up to him, and he would catch it in double or triple coverage.

wimbo_pro
10-18-2006, 07:18 PM
I would love to see Wimberley 05 defense take a shot at Gilmer 06 offense. And from what I read, Gilmer 06 defense isnt the best around, and the Wimberley 05 play off offensive performance was unstoppable....just ask WOS and Gainsville.

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
I would love to see Wimberley 05 defense take a shot at Gilmer 06 offense. And from what I read, Gilmer 06 defense isnt the best around, and the Wimberley 05 play off offensive performance was unstoppable....just ask WOS and Gainsville. we would have had trouble with last years wimberly team. this all hypothetical so i don't put much stock in it. last year you guys were gooooood. i don't think anyone here will say otherwise.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 07:46 PM
the Wimberley 05 play off offensive performance was unstoppable....

From looking at the stats against WOS and Gainesville the offense was stoppable. Wimberley was outgained against both teams. Wimberley just made a couple of more big plays than WOS or Gainesville did.

wimbo_pro
10-18-2006, 07:51 PM
True Hansum...it was our defense that stopped THEM..then as you said, our offense had many big plays. The "unstoppable" comment refers to the margins of victory in the play offs. Our offense hit bigtime plays.

WOS and Gainesville (more so WOS) had outstanding talent. They moved the ball on us well, then we would stop them when we needed it. But WOS scored 29 or so on us...the MOST of the play offs by FAR, and 2nd highest of the season (i think). They were more than a worthy opponent.

By the way, I am in no way saying Wimberley 05 should be considered in the top elite of all-time 3A teams. This years results may determine that possibility. Just commenting on the Gilmer thing.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:01 PM
By the way, I am in no way saying Wimberley 05 should be considered in the top elite of all-time 3A teams. This years results may determine that possibility. Just commenting on the Gilmer thing.
Then let me say it: Wimberley's '05 squad was the best 3A team since Everman, and I'd even put them ahead of Everman's '01 team (they were better in '01).

wimbo_pro
10-18-2006, 08:06 PM
Why thank you Russ...I wouldnt know since I dont know anything about that team.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Then let me say it: Wimberley's '05 squad was the best 3A team since Everman, and I'd even put them ahead of Everman's '01 team (they were better in '01).

As good as Wimberley was last year, they would not of beat Gainesville '03. Forney '03 was probably just as good or better than Wimberley '05.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:16 PM
Why thank you Russ...I wouldnt know since I dont know anything about that team.
I never got to see the Gainesville team play, but I did see Everman '01 (twice), Everman '02, Burnet and Jasper '03 (two elite teams), and Burnet and Jasper '04 (again, elite teams) and I'd put you right there with Everman '01. Most of the yards gained against you guys would be in one, sometimes two, series and then you'd crack down and force a turnover, so to say you were outgained you'd have to understand the context in which you were outgained.

You may not have been the most talented team out there, but you guys worked better as a single unit and played to each other's strengths better than any of those other teams.

Now that's not based on anything I saw, all I know is that Cuero (IMO the most talented team in the state last year) was more worried about you guys than WO-S, Wharton, Abilene Wylie, and everyone else. And then I'd read your box scores, your game summaries, and the things everyone on here said about you and I got a pretty good feel for the team.

Your team's like a Joe Montana. Average NFL arm strength, only slightly above-average accuracy in the pocket, and nothing special running the ball. But you get him out of the pocket, throwing on the run, and managing a game and you have one of the best football players ever.

It's not about your individual talent (and I'm not saying you didn't have any... ya'll had what, four D-I players?), it's about how you used the talent you had to your advantage.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:19 PM
As good as Wimberley was last year, they would not of beat Gainesville '03. Forney '03 was probably just as good or better than Wimberley '05.
Forney '01 was quite a bit better than Forney '03, and Forney '01 was about as good as Cuero last year. Cuero thought Wimberley had a better shot against them than anyone else in the state. Judging by the Texans' scores, they were right.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 08:27 PM
Judging by the Texans' scores, they were right.

So the final score tells you everything you need to know about the game? Most people would need to know how the score got that way to decide how good a team might be. Just look at the monday night game this week. Chicago scores 3 TD's. From the score you'd think the offense did ok wouldn't ya? Tell me how the offense did that game. The score was not indicitive(sp) of how the game was played.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:39 PM
So the final score tells you everything you need to know about the game? Most people would need to know how the score got that way to decide how good a team might be. Just look at the monday night game this week. Chicago scores 3 TD's. From the score you'd think the offense did ok wouldn't ya? Tell me how the offense did that game. The score was not indicitive(sp) of how the game was played.

Most of the yards gained against you guys would be in one, sometimes two, series and then you'd crack down and force a turnover, so to say you were outgained you'd have to understand the context in which you were outgained....

...Now that's not based on anything I saw, all I know is that Cuero (IMO the most talented team in the state last year) was more worried about you guys than WO-S, Wharton, Abilene Wylie, and everyone else. And then I'd read your box scores, your game summaries, and the things everyone on here said about you and I got a pretty good feel for the team....

...It's not about your individual talent (and I'm not saying you didn't have any... ya'll had what, four D-I players?), it's about how you used the talent you had to your advantage.

... Cuero thought Wimberley had a better shot against them than anyone else in the state. Judging by the Texans' scores, they were right.
One of my reasons for thinking the way I did was posted right there in front of the part you quoted. Some of the others were posted above. Furthermore, many of the WO-S posters thought the Texans had an outstanding team.

For any more questions, refer to this (http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=38610&perpage=15&highlight=orange%20stark%20wimberley&pagenumber=7) thread.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 08:44 PM
I don't need to go look at another thread. I just find it interesting that you said that Wimberley was the best team since Everman when you admit that you haven't seen some of the other teams play and you based that from looking at box scores and reading newspapers. That's like me saying that Roswell, NM has the best team ever in NM even though I've never seen them play.

gtownpoke
10-18-2006, 08:45 PM
more talent the Gilmer could ever dream of huh? you're off ur friggin rocker dude. Their offense had 3 guys go D-1? How about this...
1. GJ Kinne -Baylor
2. Curtis Brown - Texas
3. Jamell Kennedy -SMU
4. David Snow (junior) - OU, UT, A&M, Notre Dame
5. Justin Johnson (junior) - OU, UT
6. Lamar Harris (junior) - big time programs are coming after him

that's just some of the ones on offense. get that weak tot action out of here. you go strong to the mouth or you dont go at all (<good commercial)

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:47 PM
Anyways, I've hijacked this thread long enough, but it would be a good game. From what I understand, Gilmer may have one of the most talented teams to ever come through the 3A ranks. '83 Daingerfield had four or five guys go to the NFL, but Gilmer has a dozen guys who'll probably go on to play D-I ball, including two five-star prospects and a four-star prospect.

On the other hand, Gainesville was probably faster. It'd be interesting to see.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
I don't need to go look at another thread. I just find it interesting that you said that Wimberley was the best team since Everman when you admit that you haven't seen some of the other teams play and you based that from looking at box scores and reading newspapers. That's like me saying that Roswell, NM has the best team ever in NM even though I've never seen them play.
So how many of those other teams have you seen play?

I'm actually going more on what other teams thought than just box scores. Cuero played them two years ago and thought they were a handful. A pretty stout West Columbia squad thought they may have been the best team they played all year. You talk to more and more teams, you get more and more of the same responses. I've based it on that as much as anything.

Originally posted by gtownpoke
more talent the Gilmer could ever dream of huh? you're off ur friggin rocker dude. Their offense had 3 guys go D-1? How about this...
1. GJ Kinne -Baylor
2. Curtis Brown - Texas
3. Jamell Kennedy -SMU
4. David Snow (junior) - OU, UT, A&M, Notre Dame
5. Justin Johnson (junior) - OU, UT
6. Lamar Harris (junior) - big time programs are coming after him

that's just some of the ones on offense. get that weak tot action out of here. you go strong to the mouth or you dont go at all (<good commercial)
What about Dominque Buchanon? He's a Baylor commit, right? And I thought ya'll had one more senior who's signed, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 08:49 PM
It'd be interesting to see.

Yes it would. It would be great if we could see all the teams we think are great play each other.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 08:55 PM
So how many of those other teams have you seen play?

From the teams in your post, Everman '01 & '2, Burnett, Wimberley twice. Gainesville. I've never seen Jasper. I've seen Forney '03, Atlanta '03 and Abilene Wylie 03 and 05.

big daddy russ
10-18-2006, 08:58 PM
From the teams in your post, Everman '01 & '2, Burnett, Wimberley twice. Gainesville. I've never seen Jasper. I've seen Forney '03, Atlanta '03 and Abilene Wylie 03 and 05.
How would you rate them?

wimbo_pro
10-18-2006, 08:59 PM
You are correct about the "played as a team" ...the Texans did that very well, and the Montana analogy was a good one. This is why I have hopes for this year too, though we are even less talented than we were last year, man for man. If we can get that magic in the play offs, we have a good shot at it.

And actually, we had only ONE true D1, Buck Burnett to Texas. Two others went Navy prep, not really D1 I say..not until they commit. A few others to D3 schools. But its this very fact that we DIDNT have all these D1 prospects that make this team so special, in my book anyways. We were ALWAYS out-sized and slower than every team we played. It was a great year!

lostaussie
10-18-2006, 09:04 PM

What about Dominque Buchanon? He's a Baylor commit, right? And I thought ya'll had one more senior who's signed, but I can't remember for the life of me who it was. yes he is a Baylor recruit. i think gtown was just naming the offensive guys . i don't know.

Hansum Stranger
10-18-2006, 09:06 PM
How would you rate them?

Top 2 would be Everman and Gainesville. After that it'd be close between Atlanta and Forney. Then probably Wimberley, Burnett, AW. I can't rate Jasper or the Cuero teams because I've not seen them play.

Chris Hart
10-18-2006, 09:24 PM
I agree with you Russ, the Wimberley team of 05 is the best team I've witnessed since the 3A SLC team of 92.

Football is a game of matchups, and I see it like this. Burnet throttled Jasper in 02 46-28 in the semis(Jasper sat back in coverage and didn't come after McGee who was in a full leg brace on a torn ACL and he tore them apart), the next week Burnet was throttled by Everman who did take advantage of a immobile McGee by doubling Shipley and single coverage on everyone else and brought the house and probably would've seriously hurt McGee had he not unloaded over a dozen balls to the nearest sideline. But, had Jasper 02 met Everman 02, IMO Jasper 02 would've won in a good game. All Everman did was run(aka Liberty Hill), and you WEREN"T gonna run consistently against Jasper 02 PERIOD. Jasper was out coached by Burnet the same way Burnet was outcoached by Gainesville in 03. Had Jasper beat Burnet in 02 they'd have won state IMO. Sinton 02 had a quality team that could've competed against Everman 02 as well. Any of those teams in 02 IMO could've beat Gainesville 03, but none could beat Wimberley 05 or Gilmer 06 unless it was an off night for one of those teams. The better team doesn't always win, injuries, mistakes and coaching play a huge role in the outcome of each and every game...

gtownpoke
10-18-2006, 10:11 PM
ya I was just naming some of the guys on the offensive side of the ball. Seeing how the o-line is mostly juniors (if not all) there could be more guys that get offers later.
I wasn't arguing if this Gilmer team is one of the best of all time because district just started and that'd be ridiculous but for someone to say that team had more talent then Gilmer could dream of is absurd. Even with all the talent the Buckeyes have this year it only takes one loss in the playoffs for the season to be a "letdown."

Hupernikomen
10-18-2006, 10:22 PM
I agree with you Russ, the Wimberley team of 05 is the best team I've witnessed since the 3A SLC team of 92.

Football is a game of matchups, and I see it like this. Burnet throttled Jasper in 02 46-28 in the semis(Jasper sat back in coverage and didn't come after McGee who was in a full leg brace on a torn ACL and he tore them apart), the next week Burnet was throttled by Everman who did take advantage of a immobile McGee by doubling Shipley and single coverage on everyone else and brought the house and probably would've seriously hurt McGee had he not unloaded over a dozen balls to the nearest sideline. But, had Jasper 02 met Everman 02, IMO Jasper 02 would've won in a good game. All Everman did was run(aka Liberty Hill), and you WEREN"T gonna run consistently against Jasper 02 PERIOD. Jasper was out coached by Burnet the same way Burnet was outcoached by Gainesville in 03. Had Jasper beat Burnet in 02 they'd have won state IMO. Sinton 02 had a quality team that could've competed against Everman 02 as well. Any of those teams in 02 IMO could've beat Gainesville 03, but none could beat Wimberley 05 or Gilmer 06 unless it was an off night for one of those teams. The better team doesn't always win, injuries, mistakes and coaching play a huge role in the outcome of each and every game...

Jasper 02 had as much talent as Gilmer does this year and as much speed as any of these teams that are being bragged about. They certainly got outcoached and outplayed by Burnet. I was very surprised to see Burnet lose the next week. Everman must of had a heck of a team.

Chris Hart
10-18-2006, 10:25 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Jasper 02 had as much talent as Gilmer does this year and as much speed as any of these teams that are being bragged about. They certainly got outcoached and outplayed by Burnet. I was very surprised to see Burnet lose the next week. Everman must of had a heck of a team. They did have a heck of a team, but they just made a sitting duck out of McGee. He wore the same brace against you guys, but for some reason yall's coaches took their chances in dropping everyone into coverage. You guys could have done the same thing. To be honest, Sinton could've too. The injury happened in the 2nd quarter against Sinton, they just didn't realize how serious it was and didn't come after him either.

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 07:40 AM
How bad was Burnett since they lost to a Gainesville team that in your opinion is bascially the worst state champ ever? I think it's really just sour grapes from Burnett. I'm sure if Burnett had won you'd be saying how great they was. You'd probably even say they could beat the Kansas City Chiefs.

cats2151
10-19-2006, 08:14 AM
I was at the gainesville burnet game burnetn returned the opening kickoff for a td and converted on a fake punt at the end of the half that led to another score.Gainesvilles speed was unreal.we also watched the 4a and 5a games that night as well.I was sitting with some coaches that night and they thought gainesville had more speed that the 4a and 5a teams playing that night.That gainesville team was fun to watch.

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 08:22 AM
Are you the band director in Burnett? :D

The band director in Burnet is an Iowa Park native.

Chris Hart
10-19-2006, 08:28 AM
How bad was Burnett since they lost to a Gainesville team that in your opinion is bascially the worst state champ ever? I think it's really just sour grapes from Burnett. I'm sure if Burnett had won you'd be saying how great they was. You'd probably even say they could beat the Kansas City Chiefs. That's not what I'm saying at all. I just know that the Burnet team of 02 was much better than the Burnet team of 03. Burnet lost 4 Div I College players after 02, that left us with 3 Div I players on the team. But when you take a team with 7 and leave it with 3, they're going to be considerably weaker. To top it off, Burnet played their worst game of the year against Gainesville, just the wrong time for it to happen. It's not sour grapes, it still didn't shorten our season any, both final runs were great. I do think Gainesville 03 could stick right with most of the 3A Champ teams year in and year out, but the teams I have been mentioning, are teams that IMO were just on another level completely.

3afan
10-19-2006, 08:32 AM
... Burnett ...

FYI, its Burnet (only 1 't')

:)

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 08:33 AM
Why is it when a team loses a game that they played their worst game of the year? This is not a shot at you or Burnett. It happens in alot places. Why can't the other team just be good enough to shut down a team and make them look bad?

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 08:34 AM
FYI, its Burnet (only 1 't')

:)

My bad, but thanks for the info.

Adidas410s
10-19-2006, 08:38 AM
How bad was Burnett since they lost to a Gainesville team that in your opinion is bascially the worst state champ ever? I think it's really just sour grapes from Burnett. I'm sure if Burnett had won you'd be saying how great they was. You'd probably even say they could beat the Kansas City Chiefs.

:weeping::weeping::weeping:

I don't think anybody is saying that Gainesville 03 was a bad team. Far from it. I think was Chris is saying is that Burnet's offense was just as good as Gainesville's defense...but that losing the greatest statistical receiver in the history of Texas HS football (Shipley had more yards and TD's than anybody else) definitely played a significant role in the outcome of the game.

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 08:47 AM
I didnt think gainesville 03 was that great of a coaching job. they were a group of athletes that were better than anyone else they stepped on the field against and they did their own thing. That coach had no control over that team at all. I saw Purvey play three times and everyone had talked about how great he was. The first two games i saw he ran scared. Running out of bounds to avoid hits, taking dives to avoid hits and pulling himself out of games after taking hits. The only game he played his heart out I felt was against Burnet.

Wylie was winning the game against gville despite being over matched physically with a sophomore qb. Wylie had the better coach that night. The Gville athletes decided that they wee going to start playing in the second half. They were not prepared for a battle when that game started and that is coaching. They thought they were going to march into Birdville and destroy Wylie, that is a lack of coaching.

Texasfootball2
10-19-2006, 09:07 AM
There are a lot of great teams every year. To win a championship you have to have great kids(mix with some talent), great coaching, and a little luck along the way. I've seen some extremely talented teams not win championships because they were outcoached, and I'm a firm believer that luck seems to follow great coaching because you put your kids in the position by reps during the week and preperation so that when the ball his the ground or a QB makes a not so perfect pass, your kid is always there to seize the opportunity. If you watch enough football you will notice that so called "Luck" always seems to follow the same teams. Like they say "chance favors the prepared mind". This years '06 Gilmer team will have is chance to prove whether they belong on the best list. But even if they don't win the title, it doesn't mean that they weren't one of the great teams.

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by Texasfootball2
If you watch enough football you will notice that so called "Luck" always seems to follow the same teams. Like they say "chance favors the prepared mind". This years '06 Gilmer team will have is chance to prove whether they belong on the best list. But even if they don't win the title, it doesn't mean that they weren't one of the great teams.

see my sig....

westcoast54
10-19-2006, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Darcell Macbeth was the best kid on the gville team. Without him Forney would of rolled over them, so many times they just had to lob it up to him, and he would catch it in double or triple coverage.

That wasn't Darcel, that was Amos Berryman.

westcoast54
10-19-2006, 01:07 PM
You're right about that, Shipley suffered a concussion in the first half and was a non-factor afterwards. I'm not knocking Gainesville, they were a good team, but that's the finals loss when i went away shaking my head saying, how in the world could Burnet lose to them? IMO, if they had played 10 games, Burnet would've won 9 of 10, that night just happened to be the 1.

Shipley didn't get a concussion in the first half. He played the entire game. Gainesville made him a non-factor. Maby if he had focused on playing the game instead of crying to the officials after every play he would have done better. Gainesville was the best team on the field that night.

westcoast54
10-19-2006, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
as long as the coach instilled a simplified offense of "hey...you take the ball...and run fast...you guys block for him!" and didn't ask them to do much else with it. It wasn't the most complicated offense in the world that's for sure. ;)

Your right, it wasn't a complicated offense, but it worked didn't it!!! I'll tell you this we (that' right we) knew how attack teams, we also knew how to make adustments. In fifteen games we scored 14 times on our first possesion after halftime.

This was also an extremely talented coaching staff. It has broken up now and gone off in different directions with most off them receiving some type of promotion.

Not any coach could have won the state title with that team either.

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by westcoast54
Shipley didn't get a concussion in the first half. He played the entire game. Gainesville made him a non-factor. Maby if he had focused on playing the game instead of crying to the officials after every play he would have done better. Gainesville was the best team on the field that night.

didnt shipley beat triple coverage in the second half for a long td.

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2006, 02:01 PM
I would say the 2003 Gainesville team was good..good enough to win state and that is all that matters for them. Alot a talk about the speed of Gainesville's D that year, and yes they were fast, but they were not dominant. They gave up 21,24,and 24 in the play-offs. To me the offense was better than their defense

I was at the Forney vs Gainesville game, and while the Leopards played a good game, Forney was in control and gave the game away. Now I am NOT taking credit away from Gainesville for doing what it takes to make the comeback and win the game, but just like the Arizona vs Chicago game this past Monday, for a team to comeback, the team in the lead has to help.

Now for all the people bringing up is Gilmer one of the best..or could they beat this team of the past or that team...I think it is being done to put Gilmer up so high that if they do fall, then those same people will come on here and laugh and say what happen to big bad Gilmer and so on.

Keith7
10-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Txbroadcaster
Forney was in control and gave the game away. Now I am NOT taking credit away from Gainesville for doing what it takes to make the comeback and win the game, but just like the Arizona vs Chicago game this past Monday, for a team to comeback, the team in the lead has to help.

"Gave the game away," thats the worst sports cliche in the book.. how does a team give a game away?? do they run backwards on offense? do they clear out a path for the other teams offense when they are on defense?? no, that didn't happen and it DOESN'T happen.. If a team keeps a game close and MAKES the plays to go ahead in the end then there is no game given away..

I don't remember awhole lot from the Forney game because it was a few years ago, but I do remember when Gainesville had to make plays they made them.. I remember a couple of long catches, why didn't the forney dbs stop them?? I guess they were letting Gainesville catch game breaking receptions huh??

Now about the Chicago/Arizona game cuz I remember it better, Both Chicago's Defense and Special Teams came up big when they had to MAKE a play.. thats all it comes down to.. Do you really believe Arizona is better than Chicago because they controled most of the game??

Remember a football game is the whole 48 minutes, and just because a team "controls" the first half doesn't mean they should be state champs... Besides I also remember Gainesville beating forney in a scrimmage that same year.. Gainesville was 2-0 against forney that season, how can anyone say Forney was better?

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2006, 02:26 PM
Please show me where I said that Forney was better? I said they were in control.

You ask about the Arizona game...I would say they gave it away when a guy with 5 sacks is unblocked on the blindside of the QB..did he make the play of course, but the fact he was untouched was MORE a mistake by the Cards than a great play by Chicago.

I said the Leopards deserved the credit for the win, I never said it was a cheap win or anything like that. But tell me what did Gainesville do that forced a bad snap on a punt that was a safety? It was 4th and 28..one reason was because of illegal formation, and a bad center-QB exchange..how did was that not the fault of Forney? The resulting drive led to the GW Fg.

It is not a bad thing Gainesville won like that, it shows they were not going to give up, and played a great second half. Purvey's effort on a bad ankle was AMAZING but it does not take away the fact Forney helped them with UNFORCED errors.

Keith7
10-19-2006, 02:47 PM

I said the Leopards deserved the credit for the win, I never said it was a cheap win or anything like that. But tell me what did Gainesville do that forced a bad snap on a punt that was a safety? It was 4th and 28..one reason was because of illegal formation, and a bad center-QB exchange..how did was that not the fault of Forney? The resulting drive led to the GW Fg.

ok 2 things about this..

1. Pressure, I know your gonna say Forney had been deep in the playoffs the few years before that game too, but maybe the pressure/momentum of Gainesville coming back got to Forney in the end and helped cause a bad snap, bad center-exchange, and illegal formation.. Remember these are just high school kids, not used to big situations.. But Gainesville never folded under pressure, thats an attribute that makes teams great

2. Gainesville never had any bad-center exchanges that game, or bad snaps over the punter.. This is because Gainesville was better all-around.. They had the talent at every spot (including their center and long snapper).. Gainesville shouldn't be looked at as a less talented / lucky team because they can snap the ball

westcoast54
10-19-2006, 03:00 PM
didnt shipley beat triple coverage in the second half for a long td.

No, he beat cover 2. Safety bit on a fake!

Txbroadcaster
10-19-2006, 03:05 PM
ok 2 things about this..

1. Pressure, I know your gonna say Forney had been deep in the playoffs the few years before that game too, but maybe the pressure/momentum of Gainesville coming back got to Forney in the end and helped cause a bad snap, bad center-exchange, and illegal formation.. Remember these are just high school kids, not used to big situations.. But Gainesville never folded under pressure, thats an attribute that makes teams great

2. Gainesville never had any bad-center exchanges that game, or bad snaps over the punter.. This is because Gainesville was better all-around.. They had the talent at every spot (including their center and long snapper).. Gainesville shouldn't be looked at as a less talented / lucky team because they can snap the ball

AND once again please show me where I said they were lucky, or less talented.

I think your taking what I am saying as a knock against the Leps and I am in NO WAY doing that.

I cant say if it was pressure or not, that is pure something that is an opinion and I honestly cant disagree or agree, I was not in the mind of the center when he made the mistake on the punt.

You seem top be taking it as an insult for me to say Forney helped Gainesville with unforced errors. Not sure why..as I said before ALL great comebacks happen because

A the team from behind makes plays
B the team ahead at some point has to make a couple of critical unforced errors and the other team capitalize on them.

and once again..I was not saying Forney was better, more talented or should I have won. I simply said that they were in control of the game and made critical mistakes that opened the door..and Gainesville DESERVES ALL THE CREDIT for storming thru the door for the win

westcoast54
10-19-2006, 03:09 PM
I didnt think gainesville 03 was that great of a coaching job. they were a group of athletes that were better than anyone else they stepped on the field against and they did their own thing. That coach had no control over that team at all. I saw Purvey play three times and everyone had talked about how great he was. The first two games i saw he ran scared. Running out of bounds to avoid hits, taking dives to avoid hits and pulling himself out of games after taking hits. The only game he played his heart out I felt was against Burnet.

Wylie was winning the game against gville despite being over matched physically with a sophomore qb. Wylie had the better coach that night. The Gville athletes decided that they wee going to start playing in the second half. They were not prepared for a battle when that game started and that is coaching. They thought they were going to march into Birdville and destroy Wylie, that is a lack of coaching.

You have NO idea to what your talking about! Those kids did not do their own thing. Your comments tell me that you know nothing about the game of football. Wylie is always a well coached team. Sandifer is a great coach and that Soph. QB they had that year turned out being one of the best I've ever seen. Gainesville beat them in 03 and in 05. They won a title in between. Purvey was a great talent. he wasn't running scared, he was only aobut 80% in the Regional Championship against Forney and the Semi-Finals against Wylie due to an ankle sprain. Now the next year Purvey cut his own throat. A complete waist of talent.

Adidas410s
10-19-2006, 03:15 PM
AND once again please show me where I said they were lucky, or less talented.

I think your taking what I am saying as a knock against the Leps and I am in NO WAY doing that.

I cant say if it was pressure or not, that is pure something that is an opinion and I honestly cant disagree or agree, I was not in the mind of the center when he made the mistake on the punt.

You seem top be taking it as an insult for me to say Forney helped Gainesville with unforced errors. Not sure why..as I said before ALL great comebacks happen because

A the team from behind makes plays
B the team ahead at some point has to make a couple of critical unforced errors and the other team capitalize on them.

and once again..I was not saying Forney was better, more talented or should I have won. I simply said that they were in control of the game and made critical mistakes that opened the door..and Gainesville DESERVES ALL THE CREDIT for storming thru the door for the win
welcome to the world of trying to have a discussion with Keith 7 about Gainesville...you might as well just do this: http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/smiles/eusa_wall.gif becuase otherwise...talking to Keith has been known to cause posters to do this: http://dancehall.patgreen.com/membersOnly/lounge/phpbb/images/smiles/icon_jook.gif

Keith7
10-19-2006, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
welcome to the world of trying to have a discussion with Keith 7 about Gainesville...you might as well just do this: http://www.galleywinter.com/main/images/smiles/eusa_wall.gif becuase otherwise...talking to Keith has been known to cause posters to do this: http://dancehall.patgreen.com/membersOnly/lounge/phpbb/images/smiles/icon_jook.gif

what? I try to actually talk football and i get ripped on?

I understand when i say something political or when I say something that somehow offends someone.. but I was trying to talk football

Chris Hart
10-19-2006, 04:18 PM
Shipley didn't get a concussion in the first half. He played the entire game. Gainesville made him a non-factor. Maby if he had focused on playing the game instead of crying to the officials after every play he would have done better. Gainesville was the best team on the field that night. Yes, Shipley did suffer a concussion in the first half. He couldn't even find his locker at halftime, he was eventually assisted in finding it. The kid is a competitor is why he continued playing with a concussion the entire second half. He was also hospitalized immediately after the 02 championship against Everman due to staph infection in his toe. They'd had to become forcefull to keep him off the field in either game. I don't think he regrets either decision...

Chris Hart
10-19-2006, 04:20 PM
didnt shipley beat triple coverage in the second half for a long td. That was in the 1st Quarter. Burnet only scored 3 points in the second half after leading 21-14 at the break...

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 04:25 PM
You have NO idea to what your talking about! Those kids did not do their own thing. Your comments tell me that you know nothing about the game of football. Wylie is always a well coached team. Sandifer is a great coach and that Soph. QB they had that year turned out being one of the best I've ever seen. Gainesville beat them in 03 and in 05. They won a title in between. Purvey was a great talent. he wasn't running scared, he was only aobut 80% in the Regional Championship against Forney and the Semi-Finals against Wylie due to an ankle sprain. Now the next year Purvey cut his own throat. A complete waist of talent.

Oh i do know a thing or two about football. I know an undisciplined team when I see one. That 03 team was not a well disciplined team. There is no way Wylie should have been close to GVille with all the athletic talent they had that year. I am sorry you have an emotional connection to that team and cant see through your red tinted glasses. I just cal it like I see it. I pride myself on being objective and can back it up with references to other posts on here.

pirate4state
10-19-2006, 04:28 PM
what? I try to actually talk football and i get ripped on?

I understand when i say something political or when I say something that somehow offends someone.. but I was trying to talk football It's okay Keith. I enjoy your posts! :thumbsup: :D

Hansum Stranger
10-19-2006, 08:25 PM
Oh i do know a thing or two about football. I know an undisciplined team when I see one. That 03 team was not a well disciplined team. There is no way Wylie should have been close to GVille with all the athletic talent they had that year. I am sorry you have an emotional connection to that team and cant see through your red tinted glasses. I just cal it like I see it. I pride myself on being objective and can back it up with references to other posts on here.

You have an emotional tie to AW also, so your glasses must be purple.

Keith7
10-19-2006, 10:29 PM

I bet he looks like elton john

injuredinmelee
10-19-2006, 11:25 PM

absolutely not. I call it like I see it. You can ask many people from here my predictions for Wylie at the beginning of the season.

Matthew328
10-20-2006, 12:10 AM
I saw the 2003 Gainesville team on more than one occasion and I thought they were an excellent team....IMO they were better than the 2003 Burnet team across the board...BUT not better than 2002 Burnet....2002 Burnet had a GREAT defense and a better running game with Patrick Miller....

Some other interesting points..Keith did see the 2001 Everman team absolutley destory Gainesville in bi-distirct 48-12...game coulda been much work as it was a total destruction....I feel both 2001 and 2002 Everman teams would have beaten Gainesville..those 2 Everman teams would possibly won state in 4A...

Those Everman teams could throw the ball if they wanted....they had several Division 1 players who were at WR...2001 had both Harrell's who went to New Mexico...the 2002 team had the younger Harrell and a sophomore named Tim Jackson who is now at TCU...

Lets wait a bit on Gilmer until they win a title...2003 Gainesville I do feel is worthy of at least Top 10 talk..one day we should try and come up with a top 10 list of all-time 3A teams

westcoast54
10-20-2006, 07:53 AM

So Mr. Expert, tell me what you saw that makes you think they were so undisciplined? Were you at any of our practices? No, because then you would of seen players flipping tires for a hundered yards everytime they screwed up. Were you in the film room in the mornings when almost every player was in there watching film? NO! The 03 A. Wylie team was very good. It was the State Semi-Finals for God's sake! Yes, they had the lead on us at halftime. Let me ask you this, did they score in the second half? NO!!! That's because we made adjustments offensively and defensively that won the game for us. We were able to do this because the kids believed. What, did the celebration at the end bother you? We had kids doing back flips and everything else. They were excited! They had just punched their ticket to the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!! The one thing your right about is that I have emotional ties to that team. I won't lie, I do, I was one of the assistants and that team, that group of Seniors will always have a special place in my heart.

injuredinmelee
10-20-2006, 08:00 AM
So Mr. Expert, tell me what you saw that makes you think they were so undisciplined? Were you at any of our practices? No, because then you would of seen players flipping tires for a hundered yards everytime they screwed up. Were you in the film room in the mornings when almost every player was in there watching film? NO! The 03 A. Wylie team was very good. It was the State Semi-Finals for God's sake! Yes, they had the lead on us at halftime. Let me ask you this, did they score in the second half? NO!!! That's because we made adjustments offensively and defensively that won the game for us. We were able to do this because the kids believed. What, did the celebration at the end bother you? We had kids doing back flips and everything else. They were excited! They had just punched their ticket to the STATE CHAMPIONSHIP GAME!!!! The one thing your right about is that I have emotional ties to that team. I won't lie, I do, I was one of the assistants and that team, that group of Seniors will always have a special place in my heart.

I watched you play 3 times that year. I call em like I see em. Just my opinion. The celebration didnt bother me a bit. You had just advanced to the State title Game, very understandable. Not very dignified but warranted.

westcoast54
10-20-2006, 08:19 AM
I watched you play 3 times that year. I call em like I see em. Just my opinion. The celebration didnt bother me a bit. You had just advanced to the State title Game, very understandable. Not very dignified but warranted.

You still didn't answer my question. What did you SEE that made you think we were an undisciplined team?