PDA

View Full Version : Cell phone can help unlock Car Doors, True Story...

Fotbol
10-18-2006, 08:39 AM
I received an e-mail stating that if you were to lock your keys in your cars, and call home on your cell phone, to another cell phone, get the spare set of keys with the remote, have the person point the keys, and press the unlock button into the talk speaker, while the person on the other end holds the cell phone against the window, or trunk this will unlock the car. I guess it has something to do with RF waves or something. I went outside with a buddy and try it at work this morning, he was more than 4 Football fields away from me, The e-mail claims you can be in another city and this will work, what do you think 3ADownlow.

AggieJohn
10-18-2006, 08:43 AM
no way

STXBramha
10-18-2006, 08:44 AM
I think that would be amazing if it worked

Chunkthepill
10-18-2006, 08:47 AM
tried it, doesn't work

kaorder1999
10-18-2006, 08:48 AM
interesting...

kaorder1999
10-18-2006, 08:49 AM
ill try it tonight

Fotbol
10-18-2006, 08:51 AM
I have a Friend that's a Coach at Jack Yates Highshcool, and he has a 2006 Tahoe, without the onstar, and he said it works, they just tried it, maybe it's a GMC thing, I don't know, but it worked for me. How many people do you think are leaving their jobs going outside to try this.:thinking:

Fotbol
10-18-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
no way
yes Way

raider red 2000
10-18-2006, 08:54 AM
i have heard that it works also.

a lady i work with said she tried it and it opened up.

who knows....maybe she was too close to the car as it was.....seemed kinda far i thought....but maybe not.

it is a ford expedition.

Fotbol
10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Not to change the subject, but I didn't know Jack Yates lossed to Booker T. Washington in overtime Sat, I just heard the Head Coach come outside and get on my Partner's behind about being outside jacking around with his cell phone and the Tahoe, of course my partner was quick on his feet, and said I locked my damn keys in the Car, and the Headcoach said, Oh My Bad

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
There are a lot of variables that come into play. The first one being the type of cell service that you use. If you use GSM (Cingular/T-Mobile) then it more than likely will not work. If you use CDMA (Sprint/Verizon/Alltel) or iDen (Nextel) then your chances are greatly increased. Also, if you still have TDMA/analog (old Cingular/Cellular One technology) then you have a much greater chance of it working. There are also factors depending on the remote entry key that you are using as different companies use different programming and security methods in their key. On older GM vehicles, you have the greatest chance of success as those broadcast a very "broad" RF signal. On vehicles (i.e. most Ford models, Toyota, etc) where the keys have to be programmed by a computer, your chances of success go down. If you have a smart key (such as on the new Lexus IS) where you only have to hold the key in your hands and be standing next to your car to open your door...then the cell phone trick will not work.

Fotbol
10-18-2006, 09:02 AM
One other thing, your battery has to be in good shape, not 3 years old (key remote):D

MHSvarsity2007
10-18-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by Chunkthepill
tried it, doesn't work

as did i and it didn't work

Ranger Mom
10-18-2006, 04:25 PM
My boss tried it and it worked.

He has Cingular and drives a "brand spanking new" "Yukon Denali XL.

mwynn05
10-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
There are a lot of variables that come into play. The first one being the type of cell service that you use. If you use GSM (Cingular/T-Mobile) then it more than likely will not work. If you use CDMA (Sprint/Verizon/Alltel) or iDen (Nextel) then your chances are greatly increased. Also, if you still have TDMA/analog (old Cingular/Cellular One technology) then you have a much greater chance of it working. There are also factors depending on the remote entry key that you are using as different companies use different programming and security methods in their key. On older GM vehicles, you have the greatest chance of success as those broadcast a very "broad" RF signal. On vehicles (i.e. most Ford models, Toyota, etc) where the keys have to be programmed by a computer, your chances of success go down. If you have a smart key (such as on the new Lexus IS) where you only have to hold the key in your hands and be standing next to your car to open your door...then the cell phone trick will not work. Cellular One is GSM now

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2006, 04:34 PM
first is how would u lock ur remote in your car or truck if u need the remote to lock ur car. Seems strange that can happen if the only way to lock ur car is with ur remote which u have in ur hand when u get out of the car:confused:

shankbear
10-18-2006, 04:36 PM
OK, it worked on my Honda Accord with a Verizon, Kyocera phone. It locked it also. Freaky.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2006, 04:41 PM
Originally posted by shankbear
OK, it worked on my Honda Accord with a Verizon, Kyocera phone. It locked it also. Freaky.

its the mirrors:D nah jk its just relaying the signal from the remote that somebody has holding it to a phone and ur cell phone that u have next to the car being amplified strong enough to your reciever in ur car alarm. So seems a good connection is a must. this is has been known for while though

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
Cellular One is GSM now

Cellular One has a lot of parts to it. Most of their regions had Western Wireless as their former parent company. WW was bought out by Alltel for $6.5 billion in 2005. Those customers have now moved over to Alltel and use a CDMA-based service. WW also owns a lot of dual GSM/CDMA cell sites and they do sell some GSM equipped phones but they are not advertised. The Cellular One that you coulld find in the Metroplex is now a part of T-Mobile, a GSM carrier. It was a really weird corporate structure and I'm not going to spend the time to try and figure it all out.

Adidas410s
10-18-2006, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
first is how would u lock ur remote in your car or truck if u need the remote to lock ur car. Seems strange that can happen if the only way to lock ur car is with ur remote which u have in ur hand when u get out of the car:confused:

If you had your spare set of keys at home...somebody hits the button on those holding them up to their phone (which has an active call to your phone) and then your phone is placed near your car.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-18-2006, 04:48 PM
This is how you really use your phone to get into a locked car: 1)Call a friend that has the key. 2)Tell him you'll buy him lunch if he comes and bails you out. 3)Wait patiently for him to get there. 4)Thank him.

Fotbol
10-19-2006, 08:12 AM
Stranger things have happened!

firstcat
10-19-2006, 08:48 AM
It does work. Actually a car salesman showed us this trick. He was in Austin, and he said he's done it from as far away as Houston. We tried it from a mile or so away and it worked. This was on a dodge.

luvhoops34
10-19-2006, 09:17 AM
That's sooooo cool! And yes, you can leave your keys in the car and still lock it by just hitting the lock button. I've done it before and locked the keys in my car!

Fotbol
10-19-2006, 09:34 AM
My battery was going out, and the damn car just locked on its own while I was getting out.