PDA

View Full Version : My Response to the Announcement and My Apology to the Moderators

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2006, 08:10 PM
I started my movement for change in the best interest of the Downlow, not in disrespect of the our moderators or our administrators. My intentions were to show, through what I hoped would be a resounding voice, that the face of the Downlow was changing, and that in my humble opinion in order to facilitate that change, actions were to be taken. I feel as though what I said was taken in a different manner. I never meant what I said to seem as an attack on our moderators, I think they do a fine job, and I stated that several times. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong in the way that I presented this idea, as I now realize that it made our moderators feel as though the general consensus believed they were too strict/disliked by many posters. My intentions were to never do that, I consider many of the moderators to be my friends, and the only one I do not is the one who never posts, so I have no contact with him. I apologize for the misconception and to the moderators for any grief that I caused them. All that aside, I do not believe that anyone broke any rules in what was said. We are what makes the Downlow what it is, not the moderators, not the administrator, and not the owner. Without us, the Downlow would cease to exist. Each poster brings their own unique perspectives to every issue and provides insight to different teams across the state. It is the posters that make the Downlow what it is, not the rules, not the agendas between posters, not the powers at hand, but instead the personalities that each poster brings. This is a great place for people to come and get to know each other, but you cannot try to rule this board with an iron fist. Everyone talks about the Old Downlow vs. the New Downlow, and I think that it all started when the new rules were implemented. A large number of things that were previously acceptable were all of the sudden off limits, and everything became too serious. I do like coming here and I have made plenty of friends here. I plan to keep coming here, but there are going to be times when things need change, and I am always going to be outspoken about what I believe in and try to propose a solution. I feel as though I have been here long enough and have been an active enough poster to do so. I don't think that I am better than anyone else because I have been here longer, nor do I feel as though I have contributed more than anyone else, but there are times when suggestions are not always bad, nor are they attacks on the powers at hand, but the true desire to improve this place. You, the moderators and administrators, want us to be more understanding, I think that this should apply for everyone, including yourselves. I understand that this is not a democracy, but that doesn't mean you should rule it like a dictatorship. That is all I have to say about that. I really appreciate all the hard work that you guys have put into this place, and I think that I can say that for just about everyone. This isn't an attack, this is just the way I feel on the subject.

Sweetwater Red
10-17-2006, 08:56 PM
It seems to me that you conitinously start confrontations.
Especially if those views do not reflect yours. At first, I respected you
for your vigor. But, to be honest with you it has grown tire some.
Writing a long educated resonse doesn't excuse your ignorance.

IMHO.

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2006, 09:00 PM
I have always had the right to express my viewpoints. Just because I don't live a life of conformity does not mean that I'm always trying to start confrontations. My point of view differs a lot from that of others in many instances, and unlike you, I'm going to stand up for what I believe in. Call it what you like, it doesn't mean I'm going to change because you don't like it.

Sweetwater Red
10-17-2006, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I have always had the right to express my viewpoints. Just because I don't live a life of conformity does not mean that I'm always trying to start confrontations. My point of view differs a lot from that of others in many instances, and unlike you, I'm going to stand up for what I believe in. Call it what you like, it doesn't mean I'm going to change because you don't like it.

Totally true bro. I responded to your post. I told you what my
opinion was. I will leave it at that. PEACE.:)

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-17-2006, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Totally true bro. I responded to your post. I told you what my
opinion was. I will leave it at that. PEACE.:)

Now see, that wasn't so hard now was it? I'm not always serious, I like to have fun too.

CenTexSports
10-17-2006, 09:33 PM
IMO, the reason the board has changed is two fold. First, the dropping of all 3a information except the message board brought more people to the board to talk and not just to investigate competition and other areas of the state. Second, the M&G at the various fields and the t-shirts moving around the state have made posters friends or at the least very close aquaintances.

This brought many other topics and posting competition to the board. It has changed drastically and it is probably the loss of Matt328's hands on attention that is ultimately responsible. This is not bad just a change in focus. In some respects (even though I rarely agree with BBDE) he is correct in his assessment of this change. The older posters are mostly not interested in making new friends (at least not their primary interest) they are here for the 3a football. However, as is evident in the all of the myspace and other similar places, it is important to the younger posters (and yes there is a difference in the older folks and the younger ones and it is not maturity).

So I think Matt328 needs to decide if this is a 3a board or is it what it has become because it will not be both.

Matthew328
10-17-2006, 09:38 PM
I think it can be both...its been both for quite a while now....and some of the older folks are interested in meeting up etc...but you make valid points Centex...heck I am one of the younger posters and I haven't met hardly anyone on here..LOL

I think this board can serve both purposes for the most part..I do feel bad that I don't do what I once did on the site though....

Ranger Mom
10-17-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
The older posters are mostly not interested in making new friends (at least not their primary interest) they are here for the 3a football. .

WOW!! That doesn't sound like me AT ALL!!

To date, I think I have met 81 or 82 people from this board! I sometimes talk football though!!:D

CenTexSports
10-17-2006, 09:49 PM
RM, I did not say that all older posters didn't want to meet others. I am sure there are some. But if I am not mistaken, all of the M&G's and t-shirt signing started after Matt328 took on less of a role in the forum.

Matthew328
10-17-2006, 09:53 PM
you would be correct sir....for those of you who don't remember we used to have a GREAT site with tons of info, games of the week, previews district pages etc....it was IMO the best HS Site around...but hey I'm biased

carter08
10-17-2006, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328
you would be correct sir....for those of you who don't remember we used to have a GREAT site with tons of info, games of the week, previews district pages etc....it was IMO the best HS Site around...but hey I'm biased

I still think that its the best HS site around :D

Old Tiger
you would be correct sir....for those of you who don't remember we used to have a GREAT site with tons of info, games of the week, previews district pages etc....it was IMO the best HS Site around...but hey I'm biased I AGREE 100%!!:thumbsup:

Emerson1
We should get that back.

DaHop72
10-17-2006, 10:04 PM
I think it can be both...its been both for quite a while now....and some of the older folks are interested in meeting up etc...but you make valid points Centex...heck I am one of the younger posters and I haven't met hardly anyone on here..LOL

I think this board can serve both purposes for the most part..I do feel bad that I don't do what I once did on the site though.... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

Ranger Mom
10-17-2006, 10:07 PM
Originally posted by Emerson1
We should get that back.

It's in the works, I believe!

herewego
10-17-2006, 10:21 PM
In my opinion, boards like this can also be a source of therapy when a fan wants to vent. Sometimes a player may realize from what they read here that their actions on the field reflect an entire community and that supporters care enough to EXPRESS an opinion even though an individual poster may not reflect an entire community.

However, and I have to say this, it does get pretty old having someone chime in blasting a poster for giving an opinion about a game he actually attended and earned the right to vent or analyze, especially when the team of the person objecting that opinion didn't attend the same game.

That's what's wrong with the world today. Everybody wants other posters to be exact clones of themselves, and that's as self-righteous as blasting the other person for expressing what frustrates him or her about the team they spend money to see.

slpybear the bullfan
10-17-2006, 10:36 PM
LOL... there are plenty of young folks who act over the top on here... and plenty of old farts who are "crochity...".

BTW, I am 35... does that make me old or young?:thinking:

Old Dog
10-17-2006, 10:55 PM
You bet this is a great board! Even with Burnet moving to 4A and having a 4A board to visit, I find myself back over here where so many interesting things take place. I chime in once in a great while, but really enjoy the banter you folks throw at each other!

olddawggreen
10-17-2006, 10:57 PM
BTW, I am 35... does that make me old or young?:thinking: [/B][/QUOTE]

That depends on the angle your looking from;)

Old Dog
10-17-2006, 11:01 PM
olddawggreen, from where I stand, that's pretty damn young!!!

But as they, we all have to be somewhere and somewhere is better that six feet under................

mwynn05
10-17-2006, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
It's in the works, I believe! I'll try and contribute in any way i can

Milk That Cow
10-17-2006, 11:16 PM
I started my movement for change in the best interest of the Downlow, not in disrespect of the our moderators or our administrators. My intentions were to show, through what I hoped would be a resounding voice, that the face of the Downlow was changing, and that in my humble opinion in order to facilitate that change, actions were to be taken. I feel as though what I said was taken in a different manner. I never meant what I said to seem as an attack on our moderators, I think they do a fine job, and I stated that several times. I will be the first to admit that I was wrong in the way that I presented this idea, as I now realize that it made our moderators feel as though the general consensus believed they were too strict/disliked by many posters. My intentions were to never do that, I consider many of the moderators to be my friends, and the only one I do not is the one who never posts, so I have no contact with him. I apologize for the misconception and to the moderators for any grief that I caused them. All that aside, I do not believe that anyone broke any rules in what was said. We are what makes the Downlow what it is, not the moderators, not the administrator, and not the owner. Without us, the Downlow would cease to exist. Each poster brings their own unique perspectives to every issue and provides insight to different teams across the state. It is the posters that make the Downlow what it is, not the rules, not the agendas between posters, not the powers at hand, but instead the personalities that each poster brings. This is a great place for people to come and get to know each other, but you cannot try to rule this board with an iron fist. Everyone talks about the Old Downlow vs. the New Downlow, and I think that it all started when the new rules were implemented. A large number of things that were previously acceptable were all of the sudden off limits, and everything became too serious. I do like coming here and I have made plenty of friends here. I plan to keep coming here, but there are going to be times when things need change, and I am always going to be outspoken about what I believe in and try to propose a solution. I feel as though I have been here long enough and have been an active enough poster to do so. I don't think that I am better than anyone else because I have been here longer, nor do I feel as though I have contributed more than anyone else, but there are times when suggestions are not always bad, nor are they attacks on the powers at hand, but the true desire to improve this place. You, the moderators and administrators, want us to be more understanding, I think that this should apply for everyone, including yourselves. I understand that this is not a democracy, but that doesn't mean you should rule it like a dictatorship. That is all I have to say about that. I really appreciate all the hard work that you guys have put into this place, and I think that I can say that for just about everyone. This isn't an attack, this is just the way I feel on the subject.

Dude,

Paragraphs should be your friends....

AggieJohn
10-17-2006, 11:58 PM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
LOL... there are plenty of young folks who act over the top on here... and plenty of old farts who are "crochity...".

BTW, I am 35... does that make me old or young?:thinking: your kind of riding the fence slpy

Ranger Mom
10-18-2006, 12:00 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
your kind of riding the fence slpy

I guess that means I have fallen off the fence!!:p

SintonFan
10-18-2006, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
your kind of riding the fence slpy
You just officially made an enemy with that crappy post!:mad: :mad: :mad:

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Milk That Cow
Dude,

Paragraphs should be your friends....
What is this "paragraph" thing that you speak of?

SintonFan
10-18-2006, 12:06 AM
What is this "paragraph" thing that you speak of?
It the same thing as taking a breath in conversation. But you or I wouldn't know about that...:p
Did you run out of letters on your first post here?:D

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-18-2006, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
It the same thing as taking a breath in conversation. But you or I wouldn't know about that...:p
Did you run out of letters on your first post here?:D

Wait, we're supposed breathe when we talk? Holy crap. :eek:

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 12:20 AM
I've passed out twice trying to read :D

AggieJohn
10-18-2006, 12:23 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
You just officially made an enemy with that crappy post!:mad: :mad: :mad: eh, i told RM that she turns 21 every year

raider red 2000
10-18-2006, 08:13 AM
this is a great board.

i really like this place. it is more of community than a message board.

it seems to me that most 3a towns are small and most people get along....i think that is the personality of the board.

i think that the mods do a great job and help to keep us in the right direction.

thanks
to the mods and the posters that make thsi place cool.

later,

RR2K

3afan
10-18-2006, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by slpybear the bullfan
BTW, I am 35... does that make me old or young?:thinking:

thats completely up to you!

Maroon87
10-18-2006, 08:31 AM
This reminds me of a quote I heard once, maybe in a song.

"The only thing that stays the same is that everything changes."

:)

olddawggreen
10-18-2006, 08:35 AM
Originally posted by Old Dog
olddawggreen, from where I stand, that's pretty damn young!!!

But as they, we all have to be somewhere and somewhere is better that six feet under................

Amen to that!:)