PDA

View Full Version : Umpires Needed

3afan
10-17-2006, 07:49 PM
..... by the Dallas Metroples Softball Umpires Association --- dmsua.com (http://www.dmsua.com)

- this is for high school ball
- about 80 schools under contract in Dallas, Rockwall, Collin & Kaufman Counties
- best training in the state of Texas (3 or 4 Big XII umps on our training crew)
- all umps trained and evaluated
- games assigned based on umpires experience and skill level
- the better you are, or get, the better games you will get
- all games $35 + mileage AT A MINIMUM, great gas $
- may get help with initial equipment purchase (0% loan)
- good exercise

PM me with any questions ............. or post 'em here

loboes86
10-17-2006, 07:59 PM
Oh Heck Naw! That would be worse than being a Mod. on the Down Low all those people yelling at you for trying to enforce the rules.:devil:

3afan
10-17-2006, 08:01 PM
the better you get, the easier it is !!!

mwynn05
10-17-2006, 08:08 PM
That would be fun but i would suck

loboes86
10-17-2006, 08:11 PM
Are softball parents any better than soccer parents ? Who think they know the rules but really don't understand them?:confused:

3afan
10-17-2006, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by loboes86
...... think they know the rules but really don't understand them?:confused:

of course there are, but they make great post game conversation

mwynn05
10-17-2006, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by 3afan
of course there are, but they make great post game conversation I bet so....basketball is pretty subjective to but i would imagine softball is much more subjective on the basis of balls and strikes but i dont htink being a field umpire would be as difficult as being behind the plate

3afan
10-17-2006, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I bet so....basketball is pretty subjective to but i would imagine softball is much more subjective on the basis of balls and strikes but i dont htink being a field umpire would be as difficult as being behind the plate

plate umpire is in charge - but base ump gets a better workout ... its all about KNOWING the rules and how to apply them (not THINKING you know) - and being in the right place to make the call

mwynn05
10-17-2006, 09:25 PM
plate umpire is in charge - but base ump gets a better workout ... its all about KNOWING the rules and how to apply them (not THINKING you know) - and being in the right plae to make the call Ill agree with you 100% there...being in the right position and knowing how to apply the rules are very important in tough, strange situations

Emerson1
10-17-2006, 09:56 PM
If a 6'5'' 360lb center can do it, I think anyone can.

3afan
10-17-2006, 10:11 PM
physically its not hard - but you have to want to be good and improve and learn ....

AggieJohn
10-18-2006, 12:18 AM
i miss doing it

mwynn05
10-18-2006, 11:04 AM
I know people that have experience doing it and would probably want to do it...but they dont live close to here

3afan
10-19-2006, 06:16 AM
last night - HS fall ball, Mesquite Horn v. Mesquite Poteet

Poteet is up 9-1 with a minute to go; Horn batter hits a soft line drive down first base line, first baseman is 10' in front of the bag, both feet in fair territory, reaches over the line and touches the ball which is over foul territiry, she doesn't make the catch.

whats the call?

DaHop72
10-19-2006, 07:00 AM
last night - HS fall ball, Mesquite Horn v. Mesquite Poteet

Poteet is up 9-1 with a minute to go; Horn batter hits a soft line drive down first base line, first baseman is 10' in front of the bag, both feet in fair territory, reaches over the line and touches the ball which is over foul territiry, she doesn't make the catch.

whats the call? Ball is live and in play.

3afan
10-19-2006, 07:03 AM
Originally posted by DaHop72
Ball is live and in play.

incorrect ---- all that matters is where the BALL is, the position of the player is irrelevant

FOUL BALL !!!

Horn coach was wrong too but I suppose he got over it ;)

3afan
10-20-2006, 06:02 PM
this one is easy ............. runner gets caught in a rundown between 3rd & home, goes toward home, back to third, back to home, then is heading back to 3rd and collides with a fielder not making a play on the ball and get thrown out at 3rd ....... whats the call?

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 12:42 PM
this one is easy ............. runner gets caught in a rundown between 3rd & home, goes toward home, back to third, back to home, then is heading back to 3rd and collides with a fielder not making a play on the ball and get thrown out at 3rd ....... whats the call? runner is awarded home...also did you see the play in game 1 of the world series where i think it was edmonds awarded home because of interference when I i thought it should have just beed tough luck because the 3rd basemen wasnt on the baseline he was well outside of it but they gave it to him i guess because it was in he path even though there was no intention what so ever can you clarify that...yea i know its hard to read and prolly a lot of typos but i have class in 10 minutes and i just remembered this

GATAPride77
10-23-2006, 01:31 PM
Wrong, Edmonds was awarded home because of OBSTRUCTION not interference. Does not matter if McCarver and the other talking heads call it interference, it was obstruction.

The baseline is established by the runner, and if no play is being made then the fielder better get the heck out of the way.

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by GATAPride77
Wrong, Edmonds was awarded home because of OBSTRUCTION not interference. Does not matter if McCarver and the other talking heads call it interference, it was obstruction.

The baseline is established by the runner, and if no play is being made then the fielder better get the heck out of the way. yeah i wasnt sure i dono if i like the way thats called but thats how it is

3afan
10-23-2006, 02:25 PM
McCarver corrected himself and said it was OBS, which was right, as was the award home.

In my scenario above, mwynn05 is wrong --- the call is OBSTRUCTION and the award is 3rd base since thats where the runner was going when the OBS ocurred and thats where she was thrown out. The official must determine where the runner would have ended up had the OBS not ocurred, and in this case it was 3rd. Now if she had turned around and got thrown out at home, then the award would have been home. you cannot assume what the runner may have done, you can only see what she does then rule accordingly.

also, whether or not a fielder is in "the baseline" does not come into it .......... as GATA said the fielder establishes his/her own base path.

bottom line, if the fielder is not making a play on the ball then the runner has right of way; if the fielder is making a play then the fielder has right of way. period.

the OBSTRUCTION vs. INTERFERENCE discussion is a good one and so many coaches dont know the difference - even at the HS level. but its really simple.

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 03:46 PM
McCarver corrected himself and said it was OBS, which was right, as was the award home.

In my scenario above, mwynn05 is wrong --- the call is OBSTRUCTION and the award is 3rd base since thats where the runner was going when the OBS ocurred and thats where she was thrown out. The official must determine where the runner would have ended up had the OBS not ocurred, and in this case it was 3rd. Now if she had turned around and got thrown out at home, then the award would have been home. you cannot assume what the runner may have done, you can only see what she does then rule accordingly.

also, whether or not a fielder is in "the baseline" does not come into it .......... as GATA said the fielder establishes his/her own base path.

bottom line, if the fielder is not making a play on the ball then the runner has right of way; if the fielder is making a play then the fielder has right of way. period.

the OBSTRUCTION vs. INTERFERENCE discussion is a good one and so many coaches dont know the difference - even at the HS level. but its really simple. ah that makes a lot more sense and i kind of thought the runner might get 3rd but thought nah that wont be right i dont know a lot of the rules like that in baseball/softball but get me on basketball and i know that stuff...it would be fun to ref basketball games actually

3afan
10-23-2006, 08:21 PM
i would never do basketball - impossible to do a good job!!!

mwynn05
10-23-2006, 08:23 PM
i would never do basketball - impossible to do a good job!!! well you've gotta be good but another key is be consistant just how i felt as a player

3afan
10-25-2006, 05:56 PM
ttt

3afan
01-02-2007, 10:49 AM
..... by the Dallas Metroples Softball Umpires Association --- dmsua.com (http://www.dmsua.com)

- this is for high school ball
- about 80 schools under contract in Dallas, Rockwall, Collin & Kaufman Counties
- best training in the state of Texas (3 or 4 Big XII umps on our training crew)
- all umps trained and evaluated
- games assigned based on umpires experience and skill level
- the better you are, or get, the better games you will get
- all games $35 + mileage AT A MINIMUM, great gas $
- may get help with initial equipment purchase (0% loan)
- good exercise

PM me with any questions ............. or post 'em here

ttt

DMSUA still looking for umps or the '07 high school season

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
01-02-2007, 11:09 AM
I would rather do basketball and football.

mwynn05
01-02-2007, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I would rather do basketball and football. Football would be easier though

3afan
01-12-2007, 07:50 AM
ttt

big preseason HS tourny in Plano this weeked, 60+ teams from as far away as Texas City, Sugar Land, Austin, Dumas .... great training opportunity for us. 3A teams include Celina, Andrews & Prosper.

too bad the weather will probably cancel it.

and just think, I CANCELLED my trip to CORPUS CHRISTI this weekend for the TASO state softball meeting so I could stay and help with this tournament. figures .............. :(

3afan
01-12-2007, 12:54 PM
preseason HS tourny in Plano this weeked...
CANCELLED