PDA

View Full Version : Aggie Basketball for real this year....new big 12 poll out!!

AggieJohn
10-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Team (First place votes) Points
1. Kansas (11)* 121
2. Texas A&M (1) 109
3. Oklahoma State 97
4. Texas 95
5. Kansas State 76
6. Texas Tech 68
7. Baylor 60
8. Missouri 44
9. Oklahoma 42
10. Nebraska 37
11. Iowa State 23
12. Colorado 20

Coaches were not permitted to vote for their own team....

Bulldog_12
10-16-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
1. Kansas (11)* 121
2. Texas A&M (1) 109
3. Oklahoma State 97
4. Texas 95
5. Kansas State 76
6. Texas Tech 68
7. Baylor 60
8. Missouri 44
9. Oklahoma 42
10. Nebraska 37
11. Iowa State 23
12. Colorado 20

Bill Self probably gave us the first place vote.

AggieJohn
10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
that's what i was thinking since billy g worked underneath him

necks3
10-16-2006, 09:52 AM
1. Kansas (11)* 121
2. Texas A&M (1) 109
3. Oklahoma State 97
4. Texas 95
5. Kansas State 76
6. Texas Tech 68
7. Baylor 60
8. Missouri 44
9. Oklahoma 42
10. Nebraska 37
11. Iowa State 23
12. Colorado 20

thanks for the first place vote Kansas! :D

Adidas410s
10-16-2006, 09:53 AM
haha...now that the Ags get some love AJ believes that polls matter! ;)

And btw...I don't think anybody has said they won't have a good basketball team this year.

AggieJohn
10-16-2006, 09:55 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
haha...now that the Ags get some love AJ believes that polls matter! ;)

And btw...I don't think anybody has said they won't have a good basketball team this year. nah, i know that I just like seeing A&M ahead of Texas in something

Adidas410s
10-16-2006, 10:02 AM
nah, i know that I just like seeing A&M ahead of Texas in something
EQUESTRIAN!!! :mad:

texasjeremy
10-16-2006, 11:43 AM
Is Tech really gonna be good enough to finish in the Top half?

g$$
10-16-2006, 12:21 PM
Yes, Tech will be much better as Bobby Knight upgraded the talent on that team with jucos & a couple of stud freshmen. Tech will be much better. And hate him or love him, the man can flat coach basketball.

AggieJohn
10-16-2006, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, Tech will be much better as Bobby Knight upgraded the talent on that team with jucos & a couple of stud freshmen. Tech will be much better. And hate him or love him, the man can flat coach basketball. i just don't think he had the talent last year

awizzy
10-16-2006, 12:33 PM
watch out for texas...they are young but they are loaded

g$$
10-16-2006, 12:40 PM
Texas is young & very talented. But they lost all 5 starters & you do not win very often (Fab 5 exception) with young players in the rugged Big 12 & the NCAAs. Need some veterans to lead the way. Durant is a stud for Texas, but overall too young this year.

awizzy
10-16-2006, 12:43 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas is young & very talented. But they lost all 5 starters & you do not win very often (Fab 5 exception) with young players in the rugged Big 12 & the NCAAs. Need some veterans to lead the way. Durant is a stud for Texas, but overall too young this year.
watch out for james...hes my dark horse...kid avg. a triple double last year as a sr. hes 6 '8 jumps out the building passes like a guard..kids the real deal

Bulldog_12
10-16-2006, 01:05 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
watch out for james...hes my dark horse...kid avg. a triple double last year as a sr. hes 6 '8 jumps out the building passes like a guard..kids the real deal

Darkhorse for what? He cant be a dark horse. You would have to know absolutely nothing about basketball to call him a darkhorse to be great on this team. He is a stud and everyone knows it. Durant will be the best player on that team, but James will be right behind him. That said, Tech will not be THAT good IMO. I just dont see them as good enough to be in the top half of the conference when they have to play A&M, Texas, and OSU twice this year.

awizzy
10-16-2006, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Darkhorse for what? He cant be a dark horse. You would have to know absolutely nothing about basketball to call him a darkhorse to be great on this team. He is a stud and everyone knows it. Durant will be the best player on that team, but James will be right behind him. That said, Tech will not be THAT good IMO. I just dont see them as good enough to be in the top half of the conference when they have to play A&M, Texas, and OSU twice this year.
i am just saying...durant is gonna get alot of attention and james is coming in under the radar

Bulldog_12
10-16-2006, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by awizzy
i am just saying...durant is gonna get alot of attention and james is coming in under the radar

I dont think James is under the radar at all. Everyone knows how good he is, but everyone also knows how GREAT durant is. James wont be overlooked by anyone. Everyone in the Big 12 went after James when he was released. Everyone knows he is a great player. A darkhorse or under the radar guy would be one of the other lesser known guys like Augustin or Pittman.

g$$
10-16-2006, 02:06 PM
Augustin is a player. He transferred to the Houston Area (Hightower) after the hurricane & he can play. So can the kid from Jones HS (guard).

Pittman is the son of a guy I played against, Johnny Pittman from Terry HS. Johnny played at Kentucky & OK State, then a little pro ball. He is tall but a little fat right now. Great feet & touch though. Hard to win with all youngsters as your best players.

Kansas & A&M are the clear favorites right now.

eagles_victory
10-16-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas is young & very talented. But they lost all 5 starters & you do not win very often (Fab 5 exception) with young players in the rugged Big 12 & the NCAAs. Need some veterans to lead the way. Durant is a stud for Texas, but overall too young this year. what about syracuse a few years ago?

g$$
10-16-2006, 02:37 PM
Yes, Syracuse had youngsters Carmelo Anthony & Gerry McNamara, but the entire starting 5 were not all new. That is the difference. Fab 5 is the exception, & they got on a roll late in the season.

awizzy
10-16-2006, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, Syracuse had youngsters Carmelo Anthony & Gerry McNamara, but the entire starting 5 were not all new. That is the difference. Fab 5 is the exception, & they got on a roll late in the season.
okay i would put durant and james in that same calaber...if not better

eagles_victory
10-16-2006, 02:42 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Yes, Syracuse had youngsters Carmelo Anthony & Gerry McNamara, but the entire starting 5 were not all new. That is the difference. Fab 5 is the exception, & they got on a roll late in the season. Hakeem Warrick was a freshman starter too. I dont think Craig Forth was that big of a difference maker.

g$$
10-16-2006, 02:53 PM
Hey, we'll find out, but to replace ALL 5 starters is tough to do. Carmelo was a man among boys - Durant has not even played a game yet. Obviously a real talent though. How many of Syracuse's top 8 were freshmen that year? I am too lazy to look it up, but I am guessing Texas will have more based on who they lost to graduation & the NBA.

Sure Warrick was a freshman or soph?

awizzy
10-16-2006, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Hey, we'll find out, but to replace ALL 5 starters is tough to do. Carmelo was a man among boys - Durant has not even played a game yet. Obviously a real talent though. How many of Syracuse's top 8 were freshmen that year? I am too lazy to look it up, but I am guessing Texas will have more based on who they lost to graduation & the NBA.

Sure Warrick was a freshman or soph?

i tought he was a freshman..but i cant wait its gonna be fun

TMer25
10-16-2006, 03:22 PM
Warrick was a soph the year Syracuse won it all.

Old Tiger
10-16-2006, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by g$$
Texas is young & very talented. But they lost all 5 starters & you do not win very often (Fab 5 exception) with young players in the rugged Big 12 & the NCAAs. Need some veterans to lead the way. Durant is a stud for Texas, but overall too young this year. The group from North Carolina also.

g$$
10-16-2006, 03:31 PM
Hakeem Warrick was a sophomore on the NC team. Also had some key upperclassmen to go along with super youngsters. Here's the game wrap-up from the Syracuse site:

NATIONAL CHAMPIONS!!!
2003 National Champions!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Box Score
Syracuse Coach and Player Quotes
Photo gallery from National Championship game
Order your National Championship merchandise!
NEW ORLEANS - Sophomore Hakim Warrick knocked a Michael Lee three-point attempt out of bounds with 1.5 seconds left on the clock to help Syracuse hold on to win its first NCAA Championship, 81-78, against Kansas at New Orleans' Superdome. Freshman Carmelo Anthony, who finished the game with 20 points and 10 rebounds, earned the Final Four Most Outstanding Player award.

The title is the first in program history, and the first for 27-year head coach Jim Boeheim. Boeheim wins the championship in his third try in the title game. The win was his 38th in the NCAA Tournament, and the 653rd of his career.

SU's 53 first-half points was the most in an opening period by a team in a championship game. The Orangemen's 11 three-point field goals ties for the second-most in a championship game. Kentucky made 12 trifectas against Syracuse in 1996. Syracuse hit 58.1 percent (18-of-13) of its three-pointers, the third-highest two-game Final Four percentage, and its 61.1 percent shooting from three-point range (11-of-18) in the title game ranks second-highest in a championship game behind Indiana's 63.6 percent (7-of-11) against SU in 1987. On the defensive end, Syracuse's seven team blocks equals the most in a championship game and is matched by six other teams.

Freshman Gerry McNamara's 60.0 three-point percentage (6-of-10) ranks as the third-highest in a championship game with a minimum of five made. (The top mark is 5-of-7, 71.4 percent, by Donald Williams of North Carolina in the 1993 title game.) McNamara's nine three-pointers in the Final Four tied for the second-most in a two-game series behind Williams' 10 for UNC in 1993.

The Orange led by as many as 18 points in the first half, and held an 11-point lead, 53-42, heading into the second half. Kansas cut the edge to three, 55-52, less than three minutes into the session. Anthony started an 11-2 SU run that gave the Orange a 72-60 edge at the 7:32 mark. The Jayhawks used a 14-4 tear to pull within two, 80-78, with 40 seconds left to play. Senior Kueth Duany split a pair of free throws to push the lead to three with 24 seconds on the clock. After Warrick missed two at the foul line, his reaching block secured the national championship for the Orangemen.

McNamara tied the Syracuse NCAA Tournament record with six made three-pointers, all in the first half, for his 18 points. He finished the game 6-of-10 from beyond the arc, one made trey away from tying the NCAA championship game record of seven, and was named to the All-Tournament team. Anthony finished three assists shy of a triple-double with 20 points, 10 rebounds and a career-high seven helpers. Freshman Billy Edelin chipped in 12 points and had three steals off the bench. Duany scored 11 points on 4-of-6 shooting and grabbed four rebounds. Sophomore Josh Pace had eight points, eight rebounds and three steals. Warrick finished with six points and two rebounds, and sophomore Craig Forth had six points, three boards, and three blocks. Junior Jeremy McNeil recorded five rebounds and two blocks. Syracuse finished with a 47.6 shooting percentage (30-of-63), and shot 11-of-18 (61.1 percent) from three-point range.

McNamara's 18 three-pointers in the six tournament games broke the Syracuse tournament record set by Greg Monroe who had 13 in 1987. SU's 76.9 percent shooting from beyond the arc (10-of-13) in the first half was its best three-point shotting half of the season by percentage.

The Orangemen are the first No. 3 seed to win a national championship since Michigan in 1989. Indiana (1981) was the only other No. 3 seed to win a title since seedings began in 1979. Syracuse is the first team since Villanova in 1985 to be unranked in the preseason AP poll and win the national championship, and only the second team since 1975 to achieve the feat. SU is the third straight East Regional champion to win the title (Duke, 2001; Maryland, 2002).

The Orangemen finish the season with a 30-5 overall record, and for the first time in the program's history, they win the national championship.

g$$
10-16-2006, 03:33 PM
NC was young, but not all freshmen. I think like 6 out of top 8 were though. Hard to win with all freshmen.

g$$
10-16-2006, 03:35 PM
And those Fab 5 at Michigan never did win it all. Close, but no cigar. 2 of those Fab 5 were from Texas (King & Jackson).