PDA

View Full Version : Region III Game of the Week (7): West Orange-Stark @ Silsbee

LH Panther Mom
10-16-2006, 08:17 AM
West Orange-Stark Mustangs travel to Silsbee to take on the Tigers in this battle for the district 21-3A lead.

WO-S comes into the game with 6-0 record and is ranked # 4 on the Associated Press poll.

Silsbee has a 5-1 record, with their only loss coming to 4A Port Neches-Grove.

Thoughts? Predictions?

tigerdad
10-16-2006, 09:20 AM
should be a barnburner it may come down to has the ball last !!!! everybody think WOS is gonna blow them out BUT i guess we will just have to see friday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bearkat
10-16-2006, 09:27 AM
West Orange-Stark: 0 district losses since dropping to 3A.

Silsbee: 1 district loss since dropping to 3A.

Should be a good game.

wimbo_pro
10-16-2006, 07:18 PM
WO-S's offense AND defense are too much for Silsbee. Yes, the rivalry kind of levels this lopsided power a bit, but not enough. WO-S by at least 21.

Bull's-eye
10-16-2006, 08:08 PM
Great Choice! Now this is a GOTW.

Paratrooper
10-16-2006, 11:54 PM
WOS 42
Silsbee 14

GS#17
10-17-2006, 10:22 PM
I'm actually pretty surprised this is the game of the week for the entire region. No doubt, this will be a good game, though. Silsbee's a solid team and will almost certainly be in the D1 playoffs when all is said and done. I watched them against PNG a few weeks ago, and they looked pretty good. They have very large lines, some talented skill players, a QB who can make a lot of big plays, and a very strong PK -- he nailed a FG from 52 yards out against PNG, and it had plenty of distance.

It's Silsbee's homecoming, so the atmosphere is going to be super intense for this game. They have looked less than stellar in a few games, but looked awesome in other ones. I know they are going to give a great effort against WOS, and it's certainly going to be a battle for both teams.

Hupernikomen
10-17-2006, 10:54 PM
Originally posted by GS#17
I'm actually pretty surprised this is the game of the week for the entire region. No doubt, this will be a good game, though. Silsbee's a solid team and will almost certainly be in the D1 playoffs when all is said and done. I watched them against PNG a few weeks ago, and they looked pretty good. They have very large lines, some talented skill players, a QB who can make a lot of big plays, and a very strong PK -- he nailed a FG from 52 yards out against PNG, and it had plenty of distance.

It's Silsbee's homecoming, so the atmosphere is going to be super intense for this game. They have looked less than stellar in a few games, but looked awesome in other ones. I know they are going to give a great effort against WOS, and it's certainly going to be a battle for both teams.

It will be for the district championship of a district that has teams in it that have made at least the semi-finals for the last 4 years in 3A. Which means our district has won the region (at least one bracket of it) all of those years. Big game, and should tell us all just how good Silsbee is going to be this year (and whether or not WO-S is as dominate as many of us think they are).

LH Panther Mom
10-17-2006, 11:01 PM
I'm actually pretty surprised this is the game of the week for the entire region.
It was time. :) Besides, two teams with 3-0 district records so far....how much better does it get?

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 02:48 PM
WO-S

tigerdad
10-18-2006, 04:31 PM
silsbee by 14

Old Tiger
10-18-2006, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by tigerdad
silsbee by 14 HOMER! :D

WO-S 89
10-18-2006, 05:13 PM
silsbee by 14

Did you mean to say that Silsbee will at lease score 14 points.

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 05:46 PM
silsbee by 14

Wow.....man, now that is stretching it. I could see being a homer by 3 but do you really think Silsbee is 2 touchdowns better than WOS?

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Wow.....man, now that is stretching it. I could see being a homer by 3 but do you really think Silsbee is 2 touchdowns better than WOS?

Oh, by the way, forgive me Lord for defending WOS on this.:D

tigerdad
10-18-2006, 05:52 PM
we will see who is talking smack after friday night!!!!!

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 05:56 PM

Not talking smack. Just trying to honestly see if you really think Silsbee is 2 touchdowns better than WOS.

tigerdad
10-18-2006, 06:26 PM
yes i do !!!!!

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:28 PM
yes i do !!!!!

Easy tiger......just trying to find out what your methodolgy is here.

tigerdad
10-18-2006, 06:38 PM
its all good, just fired up about the game and NOBODY gives my boys any respect !!!! so i guess they will just have to earn it on friday night !!!

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 06:44 PM
its all good, just fired up about the game and NOBODY gives my boys any respect !!!! so i guess they will just have to earn it on friday night !!!

You still haven't given a reason. Do you think your backs will get loose on WOS or your QB is better?

tigerdad
10-18-2006, 06:48 PM
i think our backs can get loose on them, as far as th qb i dont think he is a better passer but i think he can run with ANYBODY in our districy !! our running backs are strong and fast and we have about 4 good backs that can be rotated in and out of the game.

WOSgrad
10-18-2006, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Oh, by the way, forgive me Lord for defending WOS on this.:D

LOL! Memo to self: Stay away from Paratrooper until lightning strike is finished!

WOSgrad
10-18-2006, 10:39 PM

Oh, we can certainly agree on that!

chaingang
10-18-2006, 10:46 PM

OK, have you been talking to BH89??? He must have given you some of that stuff he smokes.:p

Sorry BH89, but its obvious.:D

tigerdad, I am not trying to upset you here, but we heard the same things from K'ville and everyone else we have beat. I have been trying to hold out, but I have been provoked. Silsbee has no clue what is about to hit them. I hope you are on this board Fri. night. Silsbee has no chance period. This is maybe one of the best teams WOS has EVER!!!! had.

chaingang
10-18-2006, 10:48 PM
add the word HAD in between has and ever. oops.:D

Paratrooper
10-18-2006, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by WOSgrad
LOL! Memo to self: Stay away from Paratrooper until lightning strike is finished!

I hear ya buddy. I am shocked too but I really don't think Silsbee has a chance on WOS. I think Silsbee is a fine team I just don't think they can beat WOS. Ooppss.......there it goes again, I got to throw up.:D

setxsports
10-19-2006, 12:22 AM
Very wet field in Silsbee Friday night. I wonder how that will affect the teams????

Crimestick
10-19-2006, 03:01 AM
Oh, by the way, forgive me Lord for defending WOS on this.

He is pleased, my son. You have left the veiled evil of the red and white and crossed over to the blessed blue and silver. Join us.

As far as backs are concerned, WO-S has quite a stable of backs as well. With Earl Thomas and Depauldrick Garrett, we have one heck of a potent 1-2 punch (averaging 7.2 and 7.9 YPC). Backups Kendrick Leblanc and Latrice Robinson would start on most teams.

I certainly am not claiming a win yet. This will be a tough game. The one factor in our favor is that our offense is much, much, much more balanced with QB Andre Bevil's arm - 1,016 yards, 16 TDs and 1 INT. Backup Jacoby Franks (future Tech WR) is 4 for 4 with 91 yards and 2 TDs with no INTs.

Paratrooper
10-19-2006, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
He is pleased, my son. You have left the veiled evil of the red and white and crossed over to the blessed blue and silver. Join us.

LOL......I think that is the 11th Commandment. "thou shall not convert to the dark side, but you must keep it real". I will never join you guys but I have to put it into prespective in regards to Silsbee. No way Silsbee is 14 points better than WOS. I really don't think WOS will be challenged that hard in district and that is to include Bridge City. I have always tried for the most part to be realistic with WOS.

WOS1
10-19-2006, 10:41 AM
Come on guys, "don't have a chance"???... please man!!. I'm not trying to be politically correct or anything like that, but if you don't think they have a chance you're fooling yourself. What we did against HJ and HF can't be compared to what we will do with SHS. Those 2 teams could not match our speed, SHS will be able to match up MUCH better than either of those teams. They are going to be fired up and I promise you that they will have the best game they have had all year... they have had this game on their calender for about the last 4 weeks and their players have even said it. This is their super bowl!! They will not make the mistakes they've been making, I would be surprised if they have more than 1 turnover, which has been their achiles heel. We will not get any gifts, we will have to earn everything.

tam, I've read the crap you've been posting on other threads about some not having the balls to say what they feel. Those who know me here will tell you that I've never EVER been afraid to go against the grain. I state what I think will happen based on my knowledge of this game and the history between teams. I've been around the game long enough to know that "on any given Friday" is not a BS term thrown around for no reason. Especially in a game like this. You say what you feel and I can respect that, SO DO I. So if I don't agree with you, have the balls enough to accept it without trying to insult someone... see ya at the game.:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

chaingang
10-19-2006, 11:16 AM
I dont think tam has those in her anatomy.:D

tigerdad
10-19-2006, 03:37 PM
have you checked SHS back yards per carry ? it will all be settled in one day !!!!!

setxsports
10-19-2006, 06:52 PM
I've seen Silsbee and WOS play this year. May be close for a while but WOS wins by 14 at least.

GS#17
10-19-2006, 07:56 PM
Here are a few comparisons from The Beaumont Enterprise (http://beaumont.hearstnp.com/hssports/fb/boys/bea_boys_fb_fulldist_leaders.hts?district=21-3A&class=3A&month=09&date=05&year=2006&zone=2)

For clarification, I've put their district rank beside their names:

2006 DISTRICT 21-3A LEADERS

RUSHING

Player School Yds Att Avg Tds

2) Depauldrick Garrett West Orange-Stark 613 85 7.2 6
4) William Harper Silsbee 473 86 5.5 8
7) Rocky Calhoun Silsbee 404 76 5.3 6
9) Earl Thomas West Orange-Stark 316 40 7.9 4

PASSING

Player School Comp Att Int Tds Yds

1) Andre Bevil West Orange-Stark 62 95 1 16 1016
5) William Harper Silsbee 12 31 1 1 173

RECEIVING (by total number of receptions)

Player School Recpt Yds Avg Tds

1) Jacoby Franks West Orange-Stark 21 377 18 6
2) Earl Thomas West Orange-Stark 20 388 19.4 7
5) Ronnie Dennis West Orange-Stark 7 113 16.1 2
9) Domique Rhodes West Orange-Stark 6 108 18 2

INTERCEPTIONS

Player School No.

1) William Harper Silsbee 3
2) Kendrick LeBlanc West Orange-Stark 2
2) Earl Thomas West Orange-Stark 2

tigerdad
10-20-2006, 07:45 AM
TODAY IS THE DAY !!!!!!!!!!

Bearkat
10-20-2006, 08:57 AM
Finally all the talk can stop. I hope everyone is as excited about this game as I am. Homecoming, two 3-0 teams, great weather, what more could you ask for. This is going to be a fun Friday night.

GS#17
10-20-2006, 09:00 AM
I'm definitely ready. It's been a fun week leading up to now, and I know it's going to be a great game with an amazing atmosphere!

tigerdad
10-20-2006, 09:05 AM
should be able to feel the electricity in the air tonight !!!!!PERFECT FOOTBALL WEATHER TONIGHT !!!!!

AggiesAreWe
10-20-2006, 01:57 PM
I went by at lunch today to take a look at the field condition. It looks okay, a little chewed up from last night's game, but maintanance was reparing it as I was there. They also were getting the field all painted up with the homecoming logo at midfield and SHS painted in the endzones, looks real sharp. It's going to be a great atmosphere and a great game, looking forward to it.

tam
10-20-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
Come on guys, "don't have a chance"???... please man!!. I'm not trying to be politically correct or anything like that, but if you don't think they have a chance you're fooling yourself. What we did against HJ and HF can't be compared to what we will do with SHS. Those 2 teams could not match our speed, SHS will be able to match up MUCH better than either of those teams. They are going to be fired up and I promise you that they will have the best game they have had all year... they have had this game on their calender for about the last 4 weeks and their players have even said it. This is their super bowl!! They will not make the mistakes they've been making, I would be surprised if they have more than 1 turnover, which has been their achiles heel. We will not get any gifts, we will have to earn everything.

tam, I've read the crap you've been posting on other threads about some not having the balls to say what they feel. Those who know me here will tell you that I've never EVER been afraid to go against the grain. I state what I think will happen based on my knowledge of this game and the history between teams. I've been around the game long enough to know that "on any given Friday" is not a BS term thrown around for no reason. Especially in a game like this. You say what you feel and I can respect that, SO DO I. So if I don't agree with you, have the balls enough to accept it without trying to insult someone... see ya at the game.:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

I didn't insult anybody yet. I stated my opinion and people jumped all over me for it. Now can you quite crying like a baby...I can't believe your feelings are still hurt from what I said. You carry that from one thread to another...poor thing.

tam
10-20-2006, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by chaingang
I dont think tam has those in her anatomy.:D

Lol no I don't...but I don't think he does either...joke. We are on the same side...we really shouldn't be fighting. We have different ways of expressing our feelings and we should just respect that.

Hindsight2020
10-20-2006, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by tam
We are on the same side...we really shouldn't be fighting. We have different ways of expressing our feelings and we should just respect that.
You just act like every game is a given and that no one can beat us. None of us other WO-S faithful feel the same way. ANYONE can sneak up on you and win on any given Friday. You are living in La-La land and we at least have some sense of reality.

tigerdad
10-20-2006, 04:07 PM
why does everybody have to argue ? lets just let the guys play ball tonight and may the best team win, and i just hope both teams leaves with no injuries and whatever the outcome of the game it is very obvious that they are the better two teams in our district !!!!

chaingang
10-20-2006, 05:17 PM
Well remember this, come playoff time, I will be rooting for Silsbee to represent our district!!!!

Paratrooper
10-20-2006, 10:20 PM
Boy this one after all the hype really ended up close. Great game for both teams.

Hupernikomen
10-21-2006, 12:31 AM
Not quite the shock and awe some predicted but WO-S pulled it out regardless. Silsbee played inspired football and gave WO-S their best test to date. Both teams had some errors and some critical penalties. The difference to me was WO-S refused to lose. I sure like to watch those 2 gritty linebackers from WO-S. I bet they go through a helmet a week. WO-S should pass the ball more often. Silsbee had no answer for the passing attack. Bevil has a great arm. Personally I think WO-S needs to get the ball to Thomas more than they do. Perhaps they are saving him for the playoffs somewhat. Silsbee has some good weapons as well (5, 10 and Calhoun are all fine ballplayers)

I sat by WO-S's #24 dad..that dude looks like he could still play some football :)

GS#17
10-21-2006, 01:21 AM
Here's the box score from The Beaumont Enterprise (http://beaumont.hearstnp.com/hssports/fb/boys/bea_boys_fb_boxscore.hts?game_no=7456&class=3A&district=24-3A&month=09&date=05&year=2006&zone=2)

WEST ORANGE-STARK 20, SILSBEE 13

1st Quarter 2nd Quarter 3rd Quarter 4th Quarter Final
West Orange-Stark 6 0 7 7 20
Silsbee 6 7 0 0 13

Game Statistics
West Orange-Stark Silsbee
First Downs 19 14
Rushes-Yards 31-155 40-188
Comp-Att-Int 13-19-0 4-11-3
Passing yards 129 75
Punts-avg. 2-40.5 3-36.0
Fumbles-lost 4-2 1-0
Penalties-yards 8-58 4-35

Scoring Summary

SIL-Jardell Elam 3 run (kick failed) 9:59, 1st
WOS-Depauldrick Garrett 6 run (kick failed) 9:39, 1st
SIL-William Harper 1 run (Craig Martin kick) 2:59, 2nd
WOS-Jacoby Franks 3 run (Andre Bevil kick) 8:17, 3rd
WOS-Depauldrick Garrett 17 run (Andre Bevil kick) 8:59, 4th

Leading Rushers
SIL William Harper 22-79 , 1 TD
SIL Rocky Calhoun 10-55
SIL Jardell Elam 2-14 , 1 TD
WOS Depauldrick Garrett 14-117 , 2 TD
WOS Jacoby Franks 6-42 , 1 TD

Leading Passers
SIL William Harper 4-11-3, 75 Yards , 0 TD
WOS Andre Bevil 13-19-0, 129 Yards , 0 TD

Leading Receivers
SIL Donovan Harris 3-52
SIL B.K. Johnson 1-23
WOS Jacoby Franks 6-53
WOS Earl Thomas 3-17

Interceptions
WOS Jacoby Franks 3
WOS Kendrick LeBlanc 1
WOS Seth Thomas 1

Paratrooper
10-21-2006, 01:59 AM
Here's the box score from The Beaumont Enterprise (http://beaumont.hearstnp.com/hssports/fb/boys/bea_boys_fb_boxscore.hts?game_no=7456&class=3A&district=24-3A&month=09&date=05&year=2006&zone=2)

WEST ORANGE-STARK 20, SILSBEE 13

Interceptions
WOS Jacoby Franks 3
WOS Kendrick LeBlanc 1
WOS Seth Thomas 1

5 interceptions.......wow

GS#17
10-21-2006, 02:18 AM
That's obviously some kind of typo... Silsbee only threw three INTs, and that was Jacoby's first pick for the year. I'm not sure where they got the 3 by Franks' name, but it wasn't from tonight. :) LeBlanc may have picked off his third of the year tonight, though -- I know it was at least his second.

Silsbee was 4 of 11 with 3 INTs, the biggest one coming at the WOS 2 yard line near the end of the game. LeBlanc jumped a slant route to end Silsbee's threat. After that, WOS was able to kill the clock.

Hupernikomen
10-21-2006, 11:00 AM
Earl Thomas can make cuts on a dime. That kid is unbelievable (maybe a better athlete than Beasley from what I saw).
He had no problems at all with a wet field, #24 did seem to lose his footing several times and had a rough time getting a grip on the ball. Glad I chose this game to go see.

griff
10-21-2006, 11:33 AM
To the Silsbee fans...it was good to meet some of you last night. We respect your team and you all are a classy bunch. We're pulling for you the rest of the way.

chaingang
10-21-2006, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
Earl Thomas can make cuts on a dime. That kid is unbelievable (maybe a better athlete than Beasley from what I saw).
He had no problems at all with a wet field, #24 did seem to lose his footing several times and had a rough time getting a grip on the ball. Glad I chose this game to go see.

The problem with that Hup, he plays every down on D also. But I do agree with you, it seems everytime he touches the ball something gets made out of nothing!!!