PDA

View Full Version : La Grange v Caldwell

Pudlugger
10-15-2006, 06:35 PM
Well after a hard fought heartbreaker against Giddings the Leps need to pick it up and get ready for a tough Caldwell team. The Hornets have a very good defense and have a balanced offense capable of burning you on the run or pass. The Leps have a tough defense as well, so this should be defensive struggle. Hopefully, the Leps will play all out to win like they did in the first half at Giddings and not conservative 'playing to not lose' like they did in the second half of that game. The Lep offense has yet to reveal all of its weapons and I understand the strategy here, but they must win this game if they want to make the playoffs. Look for more interesting offensive sets, long passing routes and runs between the guards. The Lep special teams will have to step it up to put some PATS on the board and pin the Jackets deep on punts and kick-offs. We haven't seen a good return since Yoakum (two called back unfortunately) and that is another weapon the Leps will need now that they are in the thick of district play. I think the Leps will bounce back and, with home field advantage, gain their first district win.
Leps by 13

BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
10-15-2006, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
Well after a hard fought heartbreaker against Giddings the Leps need to pick it up and get ready for a tough Caldwell team. The Yelow Jackets have a very good defense and have a balance offense capable of burning you on the run or pass. The Leps have a tough defense as well so this should be a low scoring defensive struggle. Hopefully, the Leps will play all out to win like they did in the first half at Giddings and not the conservative 'playing to not lose' like they did in the second half of that game. The Lep offense has yet to reveal all of its weapons and I understand the strategy here, but the must win this game if they want to make the playoffs. Look for more interesting offensive sets, long passing routes and runs between the guards. The Lep special teams will have to step it up to put some PATS on the board and pin the Jackets deep on punts and kick-offs. We haven't seen a good return since Yoakum (two called back unfortunately) and that is another weapon the Leps will need now that they are in the thick of district play. I think the Leps will bounce back and, with home field advantage, gain their first district win.
Leps by 13

I'll take the Leps in a close game. That Caldwell defense is fast, so this one could go either way. Good luck to both teams.

Pudlugger
10-15-2006, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by BIG BLUE DEFENSIVE END
I'll take the Leps in a close game. That Caldwell defense is fast, so this one could go either way. Good luck to both teams.

Yes they are fast. It will be interesting to see how the big physical O line of the Leps and the misdirection running plays work against a fast defense. Normally the speed helps most in the wide running game, options and outside tackle plays. The Leps either throw the ball or run it between the two big guards. The qb draw and the sideline screen pass keep the defense on their heals. To stop the Leps the defense needs to be physical. The Giddings D had two very physical Lbs and they stepped up in the second half to make the difference. It may come down to the battle of turnovers and penalties. The Leps had too many penalties in Giddings and failed to capitalize on turnovers. That cost them the victory. Psychologically the Leps and Caldwell are in the same space. Both are seen by outsiders as second rate teams in D23 and only one of which will rise to playoff level. That is what will drive both teams in this game. Both teams will play at their respective highest level so it will be a good contest.

Bull's-eye
10-15-2006, 07:14 PM
The Lep offense has yet to reveal all of its weapons and I understand the strategy here, but they must win this game if they want to make the playoffs.

Are you saying LG elected not to reveal all of their weapons even against Giddings? I could see in scrimmages and pre-district or games where the opponent wasn't very good. I'm not sure I understand this strategy, could you explain? Why wouldn't a team not use all their weapons in a key district game that they had a chance of winning?

Pudlugger
10-15-2006, 07:42 PM
Originally posted by Bull's-eye
Are you saying LG elected not to use all of their weapons even against Giddings? I could see in scrimmages and pre-district or games where the opponent wasn't very good. I'm not sure I understand this strategy, could you explain? Why wouldn't a team not use all their weapons in a key district game they had a chance of winning?

They were up 12-7 at the half. They came out and played a ground ball control game in the second half hoping the D could protect the lead and run out the clock. The strategy might have worked if the Leps had not let Fitzhenry break a tackle on 3rd down 5 to go at the Giddings 10 for a 90 yard td in the third period.

They have not gone to the vertical game yet. They have a DI candidate WR and have not used him much all year. Yes you have not seen all of the Leps offense yet.

Bull's-eye
10-15-2006, 08:05 PM
They were up 12-7 at the half. They came out and played a ground ball control game in the second half hoping the D could protect the lead and run out the clock. The strategy might have worked if the Leps had not let Fitzhenry break a tackle on 3rd down 5 to go at the Giddings 10 for a 90 yard td in the third period.

They have not gone to the vertical game yet. They have a DI candidate WR and have not used him much all year. Yes you have not seen all of the Leps offense yet.

Trailing in later stages of the game, LG still decided not to use this DI candidate WR or their vertical passing game? :thinking: I really don't understand that strategy.

halfnhalf
10-15-2006, 08:12 PM
The running game this year so far from what ive heard and seen is the whole offense for La Grange. If not for Hunter they would have serious problems.

Bull's-eye
10-15-2006, 08:34 PM
The only stats I have on LG is their game vs Sealy. They were 8-26-1 for 191 passing yards in that game. The completed a 26 yd pass in the last minute to defeat Sealy 20-13.

Pudlugger
10-15-2006, 08:45 PM
Trailing in later stages of the game, LG still decided not to use this DI candidate WR or their vertical passing game? :thinking: I really don't understand that strategy.

Neither do I. I never did like the strategy of playing to not lose as opposed to playing to win. Chalk it up to coaching.:(

Chris Hart
10-15-2006, 09:08 PM
This shapes up to be a dandy matchup. I think the boys from LaGrange will pull it out and take that step toward getting back in the playoffs...However, Caldwell is a dangerous opponent...

sabre1
10-15-2006, 11:03 PM
I don't think playing not to lose was Walkers thought on the game when the Leps were up 12-7 against the number 3 team in the state. How about you admit to yourself that maybe the Giddings Defense made adjustments at halftime and shut down the Leps Offense vs. LG Coaching staff playing "not to lose"?

The Leps didn't let Fitzhenry break a couple of tackles, he just broke them himself!!

No Coach lets up when they get ahead by 5 points, unless it is the bottom of the 7th inning.

Old Tiger
10-15-2006, 11:04 PM
I'm gonna say Caldwell in this one. The Leopards will still be hurting from the close loss to Giddings.

Caldwell 17
La Grange 10

hutex04
10-16-2006, 12:05 AM
I like La Grange this year but I think they will have a lil hangover from Giddings. Plus they gonna be a little beat up after such a physical game with Giddings. I think a close, low scoring game.
Caldwell 20
La Grange 16

Pudlugger
10-16-2006, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by sabre1
I don't think playing not to lose was Walkers thought on the game when the Leps were up 12-7 against the number 3 team in the state. How about you admit to yourself that maybe the Giddings Defense made adjustments at halftime and shut down the Leps Offense vs. LG Coaching staff playing "not to lose"?
The Leps didn't let Fitzhenry break a couple of tackles, he just broke them himself!!
No Coach lets up when they get ahead by 5 points, unless it is the bottom of the 7th inning.

Coach wasn't "letting up" he just stuck with the ball control game plan that worked in the second quarter. I think he should have thrown the football more in the second half. Like you said the Giddings D made adjustments so it was time to change up instead of contiuing the running game. I know the coach wanted to grind down the clock but the Buff D stopped them on key downs. When the Lep drive stalled on a failed 3rd down conversion during the openning possession of the third quarter it was apparent the Buffs had made the adjustments. I wish the Leps had thrown the ball deep over the middle to burn the blitzing lbs. But the Buffs outplayed the Leps enough in the third quater to win the game. BTW:Jarmon broke a tackle for the second td and Fitzhenry broke one for another 90 yd td. Those two plays accounted for most of the Buff offense. The Buffs are explosive you bet.

Pudlugger
10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
I'm gonna say Caldwell in this one. The Leopards will still be hurting from the close loss to Giddings.

Caldwell 17
La Grange 10

I really don't think the Leps will be hurting or down for this game. The fact is the Leps met or exceeded the expectations of most folks even if they lost a close game. They will be home only for the third time this season. As far as big games go this one is bigger than Giddings as a playoff spot rides on it. Don't count these boys out yet. As I said before, they have not shown everything yet. :cool:

herewego
10-17-2006, 08:24 PM
If all players for Caldwell were healthy and eligible like they should be, this game wouldn't even be close, but since the Hornet defenders are going to be exhausted by halftime because they'll have no offensive weapons left to rest the defense, I see a blowout on the horizon.

You may think it's hot air, but you'll see. Caldwell will play tough at first, another two or three offensive players will get hurt and there will be more geriatric chairs on the sideline than players ON the field.

La Grange by at least three TD's.

Just wait til next year! Sound familiar?

Bull19
10-17-2006, 08:43 PM
PIDLOGGER, THEY WAY YOU TALK YOU MAKE IT SEEM THAT IF THE LEPS WERE TO GO TO THE STATE GAME AND WIN THEY STILL WOULD BE HOLDING BACK AND NOT SHOWING EVERYTHING ON OFFENSE. THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR GOOD

Pudlugger
10-17-2006, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
PIDLOGGER, THEY WAY YOU TALK YOU MAKE IT SEEM THAT IF THE LEPS WERE TO GO TO THE STATE GAME AND WIN THEY STILL WOULD BE HOLDING BACK AND NOT SHOWING EVERYTHING ON OFFENSE. THATS WHEN YOU KNOW YOUR GOOD

you are a tiresome little fella.

Bull19
10-17-2006, 08:53 PM
you are a tiresome little fella.

I KNOW YOU ARE , BUT WHAT AM I?

Pudlugger
10-17-2006, 09:02 PM
:hand:

Bull19
10-17-2006, 09:10 PM
:hand:

ARE YOU IMPLING IM A YELLOW BALL WITH A HAND IN MY FACE? IF SO UR WRONG

cdlvj
10-18-2006, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by halfnhalf
The running game this year so far from what ive heard and seen is the whole offense for La Grange. If not for Hunter they would have serious problems.

And he would even be much much better is he played only on offense. Been several times where he just ran out of gas.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 01:20 PM
I think you'll see more passing this Friday. It is do or die for a playoff berth and the Hornet D is fast. Look for a mix of short swing passes and over the middle stuff to open up the run. Maybe a couple of deep routes early in the first quarter to soften up the D.

herewego
10-18-2006, 01:34 PM
I think you'll see more passing this Friday. It is do or die for a playoff berth and the Hornet D is fast. Look for a mix of short swing passes and over the middle stuff to open up the run. Maybe a couple of deep routes early in the first quarter to soften up the D.

Thanks, coach.

Darren
10-18-2006, 02:04 PM
Caldwell will lose... La Grange by 10.

And the caldwell guys need to stop saying "if he had our whole team eligible we would win".

Sounds just like another excuse to me.

herewego
10-18-2006, 02:17 PM
Originally posted by Darren
Caldwell will lose... La Grange by 10.

And the caldwell guys need to stop saying "if he had our whole team eligible we would win".

Sounds just like another excuse to me.

Sounds like "Giddings" obsession with Caldwell won't die either.

Wanna meet at "Scott & White"?

:clap:

Bull19
10-18-2006, 05:04 PM
ACTUALLY WHEN WATCHING LA GRANGE, LOOK FOR A NEW STYLE OF OFFENSE THIS WEEK. THE OPTION GAME WILL BE TURNED UP TO 11 THIS WEEK ALONG WITH THE POWER I FORMATION. ON THE FIRST SERIES OF THE GAME THE FIRST PLAY WILL BUT THE OLE FLEE FLICKER JUST TO KEEP THE HORNETS D HONEST. ON DEFENSE WE WILL BE RUNNING YOUR MODERN 4-3 , HOWEVER ON THIRD AND LONG WE WILL BE IN THE 3-4.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 05:31 PM
:confused:

The leps will answer the question Friday: are they for real?

Yes:D

herewego
10-18-2006, 05:56 PM
:confused:

The leps will answer the question Friday: are they for real?

Yes:D

After beating a sophomore/jr. Caldwell team, won't mean much. Besides, winner likely gets Sweeny in bi-district. Then get ready for hoops action.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 06:02 PM
Originally posted by herewego
After beating a sophomore/jr. Caldwell team, won't mean much. Besides, winner likely gets Sweeny in bi-district. Then get ready for hoops action.

Bold statement with nothing backing it up.:rolleyes:

halfnhalf
10-18-2006, 06:16 PM
:clap:

herewego
10-18-2006, 07:44 PM
My predictions:
Div.I:
Bellville vs. Wharton (I think Wharton is biggest unless W. Columbia wakes up)
DIv. II:
Giddings vs. Needville (or Sealy)
La Grange vs. Sweeny

Bull19
10-18-2006, 07:52 PM
HERE IT IS PIFLOGGER. MY PREDICTION FOR THE UP-COMING KITTEN VS. HORNET GAME. SINCE LA GRANGE IS PLAYING IN THE LITTER BOX IM TAKING THEM BY 12. HOME FIELD ADVANTAGE WINS THIS ONE.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 08:15 PM
Sweeny will likely win its district and be Division II because Wharton will probably be Division I with Bellville.

Who Caldwell or La Grange play (LG, basically) depends on who finishes higher in 24-3A between I think Needville and Sweeny. Giddings will be pitted against the weaker (Needville lost to Sweeny already 39-6).

My predictions:
Div.I:
Bellville vs. Wharton (I think Wharton is biggest unless W. Columbia wakes up)
DIv. II:
Giddings vs. Needville (or Sealy)
La Grange vs. Sweeny

Don't count out Navasota just yet either. They'll play tough vs. C-town and LG.

Not brainless here. I keep up with sports, too, even though Caldwell will never in the history of the universe make it to the third playoff round.

Isn't Needville bigger than Wharton?

herewego
10-18-2006, 08:20 PM
Isn't Needville bigger than Wharton?

It's close. Not sure.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-18-2006, 08:38 PM
La Grange wins this one by 30, the subs will get to play the 2nd half. The way it sounds the Hornets dont have a chance, to many players must be out.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-18-2006, 09:39 PM
I see a blowout on the horizon.

La Grange by at least three TD's.

At least by 3 TDS, so you are saying at least 21 points, thats not to far from 30!
:thinking:

herewego
10-18-2006, 09:43 PM
Its altogether different when someone from another school says it.

How does this sound? Oh, Giddings should just put their subs in after their first five touchdowns. It's not like Bellville could compete, anyway.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-18-2006, 09:49 PM
Its altogether different when someone from another school says it.

How does this sound? Oh, Giddings should just put their subs in after their first five touchdowns. It's not like Bellville could compete, anyway.

How is it different? If I am the one saying Bellville is going to get beat by Giddings by 5 TD,s, why would I get mad at someone else saying the same thing?

herewego
10-18-2006, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FormerBellvilleBrahma
How is it different? If I am the one saying Bellville is going to get beat by Giddings by 5 TD,s, why would I get mad at someone else saying the same thing?

One side is from frustration. The other is from disrespect.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
10-18-2006, 09:57 PM
You cant get mad at someone, that has posted something about a team, when that person got the information from the person getting mad. All the info we have heard about Caldwell is negitave.

Bull's-eye
10-18-2006, 10:12 PM
Speaking of disrespect, how could there be more votes for Smithville over Bellville.

I had Caldwell & LG playing a very close game, but after reading several herewego posts, I have LG winning by 17. Is things really that bad or is someone blowing smoke? I haven't seen Caldwell first hand, so we can only go by what we read on this site. Good luck to both teams.

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 10:24 PM
The negativity seems to be coming from the Caldwell poster here for sure. Most folks here have had respect for the Hornets since week zero. The fact that they have lost some players may be important and it may not be. They are coming off a pretty reasuring win against Smithville and I'm expecting them to play hard in La Grange. If some folks think they will lose big because of what is said on this forum you can't blame them. However, I will stick to my prediction of a close game with the Leps pulling ahead to win by 13 or so. This board is mostly the opinions of posters, some more informed than others but nonetheless they are only opinions. No need to get upset, the boys on the field will sort it out Friday.:cool:

herewego
10-18-2006, 10:27 PM
The negativity seems to be coming from the Caldwell poster here for sure. Most folks here have had respect for the Hornets since week zero. The fact that they have lost some players may be important and it may not be. They are coming off a pretty reasuring win against Smithville and I'm expecting them to play hard in La Grange. If some folks think they will lose big because of what is said on this forum you can't blame them. However, I will stick to my prediction of a close game with the Leps pulling ahead to win by 13 or so. This board is mostly the opinions of posters, some more informed than others but nonetheless they are only opinions. No need to get upset, the boys on the field will sort it out Friday.:cool:

Since when is predicting a 13-point win considered a close game, pray tell?

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 10:32 PM
It don't think the game will be be decided early. By that I mean it will be close. 13 points is respectable, but I admit I could be way off. It is high school football and teams surprise you now and then.

herewego
10-18-2006, 10:35 PM
Speaking of disrespect, how could there be more votes for Smithville over Bellville.

I had Caldwell & LG playing a very close game, but after reading several herewego posts, I have LG winning by 17. Is things really that bad or is someone blowing smoke? I haven't seen Caldwell first hand, so we can only go by what we read on this site. Good luck to both teams.

Let's put it this way: Every player that scored against Elgin in the first game is either on crutches or granting UIL's wishes by having a junior Caldwell NATIVE blasting through opponents' JV lines averaging 250 yards a game in three quarters.

Next question.....

Pudlugger
10-18-2006, 10:37 PM
Was that the kid that moved back in with his grandparents and was ruled ineligible because of paperwork or something?

herewego
10-18-2006, 11:07 PM

herewego
10-18-2006, 11:14 PM
You people have to understand what it's like to pick up the Saturday newspapers year after year and spew off all the coulda, shoulda, woulda's when all they want is to do something noteworthy in a boys' sport. Volleyball schmolleyball, ya know?

Pudlugger
10-19-2006, 08:16 AM
Sounds like a raw deal especially for the boy. If it was a matter of incomplete paperwork it makes it even worse. Hope he makes it next year. Even if he doesn't get a DI ticket there is always Blinn. A big year at Blinn will get you in as they say. Good luck and let's have a great game with no injuries.

BTEXDAD
10-19-2006, 08:24 AM
Obviously it would be a lie to say that the community and teammates aren't a little selfish about what Xavier could and still can next year bring to the table for the team as a whole, but he is Divison I Eric Dickerson caliber and not sure what kind of publicity one year of eligibility can draw for him.

You people have to understand what it's like to pick up the Saturday newspapers year after year and spew off all the coulda, shoulda, woulda's when all they want is to do something noteworthy in a boys' sport. Volleyball schmolleyball, ya know?

Eric Dickerson caliber???? He may be looking like Dickerson running against JVs, but come on. Dickerson is pro hall of fame runner.
Injuries are part of the game. Maybe Caldwell has had more than their share this year, I don't know, but surely it hasn't happened every year. If two or three injuries derail the team, it couldn't have been that strong a team to begin with.

herewego
10-19-2006, 08:27 AM
He's real good.

BTEXDAD
10-19-2006, 08:30 AM
Alright, I'll try to watch him, herewego

Good luck to leps and hornets. Stay healthy all.

CHS_Grad '85
10-19-2006, 10:58 AM
Sounds like a raw deal especially for the boy. If it was a matter of incomplete paperwork it makes it even worse. Hope he makes it next year. Even if he doesn't get a DI ticket there is always Blinn. A big year at Blinn will get you in as they say. Good luck and let's have a great game with no injuries. No... the paperwork was filed correctly and (from my understanding) the regional chair gave his blessing... that's why he played in the Elgin game (Caldwell had to forfiet this game per UIL but both coaches and media are still calling it a win).. .it was the UIL office in Austin that put the brakes on...

herewego
10-19-2006, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by CHS_Grad '85
No... the paperwork was filed correctly and (from my understanding) the regional chair gave his blessing... that's why he played in the Elgin game (Caldwell had to forfiet this game per UIL but both coaches and media are still calling it a win).. .it was the UIL office in Austin that put the brakes on...

But is there a chance he can play at all this season - even if a required amount of time passes and they make the playoffs?

Pudlugger
10-19-2006, 05:44 PM
Can Caldwell defend against the run?

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:07 PM
Can Caldwell defend against the run?

No, they're just dreadful

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:14 PM
Oh just great, I just got a message from the trainer reporting that half the Caldwell team has the flu. We just can't get ANY breaks!

Bull19
10-19-2006, 06:34 PM
Oh just great, I just got a message from the trainer reporting that half the Caldwell team has the flu. We just can't get ANY breaks!

THOSE EXCUSES FOR THE HORNETS ARE STARTING TO ADD UP

herewego
10-19-2006, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by Bull19
THOSE EXCUSES FOR THE HORNETS ARE STARTING TO ADD UP

Especially for the ones claiming beloved Caldwell connections one minute and slamming them the next