PDA

View Full Version : Is tackling by the hair illegal?

mchavez
10-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Larry Johnson was pentalized for tackling Troy Polamalu by his hair! From what I remember in the past Ricky Williams was tackled by his hair and the referee said it was part of the uniform! That's why he cut his hair!! It's do big deal if it is or isn't, it's just bugging me!

carter08
10-15-2006, 06:04 PM
http://bbs.3adownlow.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=52712

I think it should be illegal

piratebg
10-15-2006, 06:05 PM
That one kind of had me scratching my head too. I think it's fair game.

raider red 2000
10-15-2006, 06:07 PM
i think that it should be legal....if not....then we will see guys that will have cousin IT type wigs to cover every bit of their body so that nobody can tackle them.

cut your hair or tuck it in.

bad thing is...i dont think that polimalu (SP) cared....he had the ball :)

fireman1
10-15-2006, 07:40 PM
it should be legal its part of the uni but I dont know I was wondering the same thing

YBS
10-15-2006, 07:45 PM
It shouldn't be a penalty. You choose to grow your hair long. You HAVE to have a facemask and being tackled by it always COULD cause physical injury.

lostaussie
10-15-2006, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by carter08
I think it should be illegal then you need to cut it off. that play call was terrible. it was a football play. Johnson did what he had to do.

football4life
10-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by YBS
It shouldn't be a penalty. You choose to grow your hair long. You HAVE to have a facemask and being tackled by it always COULD cause physical injury.

exactly, you had to know that would happen sooner or later. it's his own fault.

Pudlugger
10-15-2006, 07:50 PM
Originally posted by YBS

I agree. Hair, like other body parts such as arms, legs and ankles are fair game. If you choose to give the defender a convenient handle that's their problem. I think it is lame to have a flowing mane of hair outside your helmet. What vanity! Next thing you know these "guys" will be doing Breck commercials!:D

Old Tiger
10-15-2006, 08:13 PM
The hair is considered part of the uniform.

AggieJohn
10-15-2006, 08:40 PM
i say fair game as well

sweetwater07
10-15-2006, 08:50 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
i say fair game as well

I Concur

shankbear
10-15-2006, 09:22 PM
It is absolutely fair game.

Phantom Stang
10-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
The hair is considered part of the uniform.
So are the shoulder pads, but the NFL banned the "horse collar" tackle, earlier this year.

tam
10-15-2006, 10:11 PM
You guys must have not listened to the explanation the officials gave, they didn't penalize him for grabbing the hair, they penalized him for taunting after he pulled the hair. I thought it was a dirty move cause he had the opportunity to tackle him somewhere else...he intentionally grabbed his hair, it was obvious. On top of that when Palamolou got off the ground he was still grabbing his hair. I guess it's gonna take somebody to get their knees torn up or another bad injury like when you horse collar or grab the face mask for them to put the rule in. Yeah, he can cut his hair, but why should he, you can avoid pulling somebodies hair. Just like you have to learn another way of tackling to keep from horse collaring somebody...you can do it in this case. That's why K.c got there butts whipped...that was dirty.

mchavez
10-15-2006, 10:11 PM
I found ut that they didn't flag him for grapping the hair!! They flaged him for pukking it after the play was dead!

gobblerfan02
10-16-2006, 12:29 AM
Originally posted by tam
You guys must have not listened to the explanation the officials gave, they didn't penalize him for grabbing the hair, they penalized him for taunting after he pulled the hair. I thought it was a dirty move cause he had the opportunity to tackle him somewhere else...he intentionally grabbed his hair, it was obvious. On top of that when Palamolou got off the ground he was still grabbing his hair. I guess it's gonna take somebody to get their knees torn up or another bad injury like when you horse collar or grab the face mask for them to put the rule in. Yeah, he can cut his hair, but why should he, you can avoid pulling somebodies hair. Just like you have to learn another way of tackling to keep from horse collaring somebody...you can do it in this case. That's why K.c got there butts whipped...that was dirty. WOW, you obviously have never played football, or I'd be surprised if you did. You might have seen what you saw, but I saw Johnson just grabbing for something, if you're chasing a fast DB and trying to stop him from scoring a defensive TD, then you bet your rear end that you'd stop him however possible, but I don't think Johnson intentionally grabbed his hair, he was diving and just grabbed, and it was his hair. Palamolou should cut his hair if he wanted to avoid such a thing, simple as that, and YES, his hair is part of the uniform!!! So if it's anyones fault, it's Palamolou's for having too many dead cells on top of his head!!!

Heyoverthere
10-16-2006, 01:10 AM
Originally posted by tam
You guys must have not listened to the explanation the officials gave, they didn't penalize him for grabbing the hair, they penalized him for taunting after he pulled the hair. I thought it was a dirty move cause he had the opportunity to tackle him somewhere else...he intentionally grabbed his hair, it was obvious. On top of that when Palamolou got off the ground he was still grabbing his hair. I guess it's gonna take somebody to get their knees torn up or another bad injury like when you horse collar or grab the face mask for them to put the rule in. Yeah, he can cut his hair, but why should he, you can avoid pulling somebodies hair. Just like you have to learn another way of tackling to keep from horse collaring somebody...you can do it in this case. That's why K.c got there butts whipped...that was dirty.
your right about the penalty call. but still it should be fair game if the hair wasnt there then he would have grabbed the back of his jersey instead..

EAGLE9166
10-16-2006, 02:14 AM
If he don't won't pulled, then CUT the crap off.

Aesculus gilmus
10-16-2006, 06:26 AM
These players today are such wimps. I'd like to see them go back to the leather helmets with nothing protecting their faces as in the old days.

Dentists would appreciate the extra business also.

tam
10-16-2006, 07:21 AM
Originally posted by Heyoverthere
your right about the penalty call. but still it should be fair game if the hair wasnt there then he would have grabbed the back of his jersey instead..

Which would have been a horse collar, so he was grabbing in the wrong area in the first place. And as for the other poster that said I must have never played football, well no I haven't because i'm a woman, but you don't have to have played football to see where a player could have simply bumped him out of bounds or grabbed something else. If he got close enough to grab his hair, then he could have grab somewhere else. And it's one thing if he had just grabbed his hair and let it go, but he was still yanking it when Palamolou was getting off the ground. It was clear he had bad intentions when he did it, if anybody think otherwise, then they are just a K.C fan and just don't want to see the truth.

Jason1725
10-16-2006, 09:48 AM
He wasn't flagged for tackling by the hair, he was flagged for pulling him off the ground by the hair out of bounds after the play was over. And he hit Ike Taylor after the play as well. As far as Troy being whiney this is what he said after the game, "No, it didn't hurt, It felt good." He also said " No, but if I got the ball in my hands, they can tackle me all day like that." when asked if he had ever been tackled by his hair.

Gobbla2001
10-16-2006, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by tam
Which would have been a horse collar, so he was grabbing in the wrong area in the first place. And as for the other poster that said I must have never played football, well no I haven't because i'm a woman, but you don't have to have played football to see where a player could have simply bumped him out of bounds or grabbed something else. If he got close enough to grab his hair, then he could have grab somewhere else. And it's one thing if he had just grabbed his hair and let it go, but he was still yanking it when Palamolou was getting off the ground. It was clear he had bad intentions when he did it, if anybody think otherwise, then they are just a K.C fan and just don't want to see the truth.

A guy's running away from you for the endzone, you can't just pause time like Adam Sandler and sit and try to think about it... "Let's see, if I pull him by the hair, ladies like tam will get mad... if I grab him by the back of his shoulder-pad, the league will fine me, if I go for his legs, I may miss because his legs ARE moving, and the more time I take to calculate the movement of his legs the more yards he gets, if I just let him go, he scores maybe..."

No, you see, the only time football is really thought about in specifics as the ones previously mentioned by me are in practice and on the sideline, not during the heat of the momment... in the heat of the momment, grab what you can and tackle the guy...

Ed-Whatever James that used to play with the Colts cut his hair because it was part of the uni, everyone knows now... so either cut it or get tackled by it... but as the guy said "it felt good"...

Sweetwater Red
10-16-2006, 10:13 AM
I haven't read any posts on this thread. But, the NFL considers
a player's hair to be part of his uniform. It is not illegal to
tackle a player by the hair. I heard this on ESPN this morning.

Gobbla2001
10-16-2006, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by tam
a player could have simply bumped him out of bounds

If he got close enough to grab his hair, then he could have grab somewhere else.

first of all, simply bumping someone out of bounds isn't the best way to go... chances are the guy can swallow up about three more yards on the sideline if you bump him out of bounds...

And number two, if he got close enough to grab somewhere else, the he could have grabbed him by his hair...

dammit let's just get rid of all of the equipment and put flags around the guy's wastes, this is getting rediculous... tam needs to move up to the Connecticut where you can't outscore the team by 50 points or you coach gets suspended... judging by her wussy view on football she'd really help pioneer the wussy-ball played up in the Northeast...

Gobbla2001
10-16-2006, 10:18 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
first of all, simply bumping someone out of bounds isn't the best way to go... chances are the guy can swallow up about three more yards on the sideline if you bump him out of bounds...

and being bumped out of bounds could also cause injury to an unexpecting cheerleader/etc... then you'd be griping about that :rolleyes:

htowntransplant
10-16-2006, 11:01 AM
it ought to be made illegal. tackling by the hair is about the same thing as a facemask. they dont allow facemask tacking to protect players from having their domes ripped off their torso....pulling the hair does just about the same thing. it jerks the neck...very dangerous.

and bumping players into gorgeous cheerleaders is barbaric!! MAN LAW!