PDA

View Full Version : Steve Lyons - Fox Sports - Fired

SWMustang
10-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Steve Lyons who's a broadcaster for Fox Sports was fired yesterday. I wondered why he wasn't on the broadcast yesterday. This is what he said on the air that got himself fired:

Piniella had made an analogy involving the luck of finding a wallet, then briefly used a couple of Spanish phrases during Friday's broadcast.
Lyons said that Piniella was "hablaing Espanol" -- butchering the conjugation for the word "to speak" -- and added, "I still can't find my wallet."
"I don't understand him, and I don't want to sit too close to him now," Lyons continued.

Seems like a weak reason to fire someone. I took it in the context that 1) he's speaking spanish and I don't understand him and

2) piniella had his wallet.

Regardless this seems a rather flimsy way for FOX to fire him.

here's the article in its entirety

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/news;_ylt=AsrU6QINhAEIMePTVjehRI45nYcB?slug=ap-alcs-fox-lyonsfired&prov=ap&type=lgns

griff
10-15-2006, 08:50 AM
That is weak. It's hard to believe they fired him over a statement like that. It sounds like a lighthearted joke.

Maroon87
10-15-2006, 09:41 AM
I was watching the game when Lyons said that. I laughed but I also thought that someone would take it the wrong way. I guess I was right.

GreenMonster
10-15-2006, 10:14 AM
Who cares, Psycho Steve Lyons was as bad a commentary guy as he was a player. This guy is most famous for dropping his pants at first base to get the dirt out. He claimed he "forgot where he was.", yeah right there's 35,000 people surrounding you and you're gonna forget where you are and drop your pants to your knees. Good ridance. Get rid of Piniella while you're at it. Somebody needs to hire Harrold Reynolds. He may hit on the chicks that are on staff but he'll at least not act a fool on air.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-15-2006, 10:40 AM
adios Steve Lyons :wave:

Macarthur
10-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
Who cares, Psycho Steve Lyons was as bad a commentary guy as he was a player. This guy is most famous for dropping his pants at first base to get the dirt out. He claimed he "forgot where he was.", yeah right there's 35,000 people surrounding you and you're gonna forget where you are and drop your pants to your knees. Good ridance. Get rid of Piniella while you're at it. Somebody needs to hire Harrold Reynolds. He may hit on the chicks that are on staff but he'll at least not act a fool on air.

This is a pretty weak reason to fire someone. GM, you may be onto something in that there may be more to this than just this one event.