PDA

View Full Version : Region III Playoff Projection

WOS87
10-14-2006, 11:48 AM
Barring multiple very large upsets most of the Region III Division I playoff bracket is becoming pretty clear

District 17
Gatesville is the odds on favorite as they are the largest team in the district, are 5-1 overall, 1-0 in district play in the 6-team district. They would have to lose at least 2 out of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs, in which case Robinson would most likely be the Division I Rep. There are statistical possibilities that Waco Connally or La Vega could end up Division I but neither seems very likely given how the district is shaping up so far.

District 18
Hutto is 5-1, 1-0 in this 5-team district and will most likely be the Division I rep unless Taylor manages to upset one of the three playoff favorites (Liberty Hill, Hutto, and Cameron Yoe) and make the playoffs themselves, in which case Taylor would go Division I.

District 19
Palestine is 5-1, 1-0 and the largest school in the 6-team district. They would have to have a complete meltdown over their remaining 4 games (2 of which are against 1-5 teams) to miss the playoffs.

District 20
Carthage is 6-0, 1-0 and also the largest school in a 6-team district. Like Palestine, they would need to fall apart to miss the playoffs although 3 of their 4 remaining games are against solid teams (Diboll, Crockett and Rusk).

District 21
Silsbee is 5-1, 3-0 and the largest school in this 8-team district. They have already beaten two of the legitimate playoff contenders in Orangefield and Bridge City so they have a definite inside track for a playoff spot.

District 22
Splendora wouldn't seem like a playoff favorite looking at their 2-4 overall record but it's all relative. Sadly only one out of the six teams in this district has won more than 2 games this year. Splendora is the largest school in the 6 team district and is 1-0 in the district standings after blowing out Cleveland by 32 points. They should be favored to win over Tarkington and Shepherd to make the playoffs.

District 23
Bellville is 5-1, 1-0 and will go Division I if things continue like they have been going, with Giddings presumed to get a playoff spot and either La Grange or Caldwell taking the other spot. The next most likely scenario would be if both La Grange and Caldwell were to beat Bellville and both qualify for the playoffs. In that case, Giddings would go Division I which would possibly put 4 of the top 10 teams in the state in one tiny regional bracket.

District 24
West Columbia or Needville? or Sealy?? This is probably the most unpredictable of any of the Region III districts. Out of the 8 teams in the district, Columbus, Brookshire Royal and Stafford most likely can be counted out barring a huge turnaround. The remaining 5 include Wharton and Sweeny, both of whom are 3-0 in district play and have the greatest likelihood of nabbing playoff spots. The 3rd spot will be a battle between West Columbia, Sealy and Needville and since all three of those schools are larger than both Wharton and Sweeny, whichever one of the three that makes the playoffs will be going Division I with Columbia being the largest, Needville #2 and Sealy #3.

A first round matchup between Carthage and Palestine is looking very likely

Paratrooper
10-14-2006, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by WOS87
Barring multiple very large upsets most of the Region III Division I playoff bracket is becoming pretty clear

District 21
Silsbee is 5-1, 3-0 and the largest school in this 8-team district. They have already beaten two of the legitimate playoff contenders in Orangefield and Bridge City so they have a definite inside track for a playoff spot.

I agree on this one.

I see it
D1 - Silsbee
D2 - WOS
D2 - A true fight between Bridge City, Kirbyville and Orangefield. K'ville has already beat OF, however, BC has yet to play K'ville and OF. BC will control their own destiny here. OF has at the bare minimum got to beat Bridge City and hope that K'ville slips against BC. This one could get complicated.

Hupernikomen
10-14-2006, 05:50 PM
District 22 is far from over. Splendora beat a struggling Cleveland team, but I don't think they will beat Coldspring. They aren't clear favorites over Liberty or Shepherd. Tarkington will give them a very good game regardless of records because of the rivarly factor. Way too early to call a winner in this district.

JR2004
10-14-2006, 05:54 PM
Thanks for posting this. I'm sure a lot of people appreciate this detailed breakdown of an entire region just like I do. Will you be updating this over the next few weeks in case something should change?

blackflag_74
10-15-2006, 10:51 PM
its alot to ask, but are you planning on doing this for the other regions as well?

herewego
10-16-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by WOS87

District 17
Gatesville is the odds on favorite as they are the largest team in the district, are 5-1 overall, 1-0 in district play in the 6-team district. They would have to lose at least 2 out of their last 4 games to miss the playoffs, in which case Robinson would most likely be the Division I Rep. There are statistical possibilities that Waco Connally or La Vega could end up Division I but neither seems very likely given how the district is shaping up so far.

District 18
Hutto is 5-1, 1-0 in this 5-team district and will most likely be the Division I rep unless Taylor manages to upset one of the three playoff favorites (Liberty Hill, Hutto, and Cameron Yoe) and make the playoffs themselves, in which case Taylor would go Division I.

District 19
Palestine is 5-1, 1-0 and the largest school in the 6-team district. They would have to have a complete meltdown over their remaining 4 games (2 of which are against 1-5 teams) to miss the playoffs.

District 20
Carthage is 6-0, 1-0 and also the largest school in a 6-team district. Like Palestine, they would need to fall apart to miss the playoffs although 3 of their 4 remaining games are against solid teams (Diboll, Crockett and Rusk).

District 21

District 22
Splendora wouldn't seem like a playoff favorite looking at their 2-4 overall record but it's all relative. Sadly only one out of the six teams in this district has won more than 2 games this year. Splendora is the largest school in the 6 team district and is 1-0 in the district standings after blowing out Cleveland by 32 points. They should be favored to win over Tarkington and Shepherd to make the playoffs.

District 23
Bellville is 5-1, 1-0 and will go Division I if things continue like they have been going, with Giddings presumed to get a playoff spot and either La Grange or Caldwell taking the other spot. The next most likely scenario would be if both La Grange and Caldwell were to beat Bellville and both qualify for the playoffs. In that case, Giddings would go Division I which would possibly put 4 of the top 10 teams in the state in one tiny regional bracket.

District 24
West Columbia or Needville? or Sealy?? This is probably the most unpredictable of any of the Region III districts. Out of the 8 teams in the district, Columbus, Brookshire Royal and Stafford most likely can be counted out barring a huge turnaround. The remaining 5 include Wharton and Sweeny, both of whom are 3-0 in district play and have the greatest likelihood of nabbing playoff spots. The 3rd spot will be a battle between West Columbia, Sealy and Needville and since all three of those schools are larger than both Wharton and Sweeny, whichever one of the three that makes the playoffs will be going Division I with Columbia being the largest, Needville #2 and Sealy #3.

A first round matchup between Carthage and Palestine is looking very likely

Everything sounds cool except that Caldwell can forget the playoffs from 23-3A because Waters (the only real offensive threat) got injured against Smithville (yea, you can start snickering now). Looks like an awesome 3-7 season in store.

If Caldwell really wanted it, they could still win. Does anyone have ocean front property in Arizona? La Grange in a blowout.

Old Tiger
10-16-2006, 03:11 PM
18-3a

1. Liberty Hill
2. Hutto
3. Taylor