PDA

View Full Version : My thoughts on watching 5A vs. 3A

VWG
10-14-2006, 11:03 AM
I went to my first 5A game in the last couple of years. Caught Grapevine - Keller game this past Thursday night.
Some observations about the differences between 5A and 3A.
Size....the skill positions in particular. You know how you might have a kid at the 3A level that although he is a good athlete, he might go about 160lbs? I didn't see anybody on either side of the ball at any skill position (except for the kicker) that didn't look a solid 180lbs..... and I would guess that there were maybe three kids the whole night that I saw were under 5' 11" at those positions. Grapevine had two RB's, and one was 6' 2" 195, and the other was 6'0" 190.
Platooning.... I think Keller had two kids (#3 and #6) who went both ways. Both were DB/WR. Other than that I couldn't remember seeing any other two way players. Once the ball changed hands.... 11 kids went off the field and 11 new kids went on the field. After the defense/offense was done, they went down to their side of the bench and they grouped with the defensive staff of coaches. Waited until it was their time to go and away they went to battle, same with the offense.
Kicking game... both squads had kickers that kicked off routinely to the 10 yard line or deeper. Punter for Keller was really good, as I saw him bust one punt for 61 yards and the next was 42 yards. Big kid, looked like he was about 6' 3" and 210 lbs.
The Bands.... Keller announced their band at "275 members strong".... HOLY CRAP! That's more than a couple of graduating senior classes at some 3A schools. All 275 didn't march though, probably couldn't get them on the field as it looked like about 75 of them stayed in uniform on the sideline during the HT show. Band still stretched from the 20 yard line to the other 20 yard line.
The crowds..... I don't know what the attendance was at KISD stadium but the atmosphere wasn't there like a 3A game. Too "city suburbish" if you asked me. It seemed to me you didn't have the whole town behind the team, etc... no guys in the stands that were there because they've been going to games since the 50's or 60's etc.... nobody that drove back to watch their alma mater, etc.... There were probably some of those types in attendance but the game didn't have the electricity of small town Texas HS football.
Maybe the older residents of the area are jacked up about their taxes being raised. KISD has a Nov. 7th bond issue up for $30+ million they kept promoting over the PA. A brand new HS, two new JH's, and some more elementary schools. KISD has three 5A high schools already.
Side note- Nate Newton was at the game. Caught him during halftime at the concession stand.

Ranger Mom
10-14-2006, 11:11 AM
I agree 100% about the atmosphere! My husband and I went to see the Permian/Midland Lee game a couple of years ago....supposedly a HUGE rivalry.

I did more cheering for the Lee Rebels than the "Lee faithful" did. I had NEVER heard as much griping about your own team, players AND coaches, as I heard from the bunch of "diehard fans" we were sitting around.

After being asked, not so politely, to sit down on a crucial 3rd down play, my husband finally suggested we go find somewhere else to sit before my mouth got me in trouble!!:D

Give me 3A football, fans and "small school" atmosphere ANYDAY!!

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2006, 11:19 AM
The big difference is the band makes u feel like u are at a college game:)

Ranger Mom
10-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan_inAustin
The big difference is the band makes u feel like u are at a college game:)

I never watch the bands anyway....(sorry to all you band people out there, mainly marlinfan).....that is Meet and Greet, bathroom break, getting food, etc. time!!

griff
10-14-2006, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by VWG
The crowds..... I don't know what the attendance was at KISD stadium but the atmosphere wasn't there like a 3A game. Too "city suburbish" if you asked me. It seemed to me you didn't have the whole town behind the team, etc... no guys in the stands that were there because they've been going to games since the 50's or 60's etc.... nobody that drove back to watch their alma mater, etc.... There were probably some of those types in attendance but the game didn't have the electricity of small town Texas HS football.

One reason for the difference in crowds is because the people who reside in towns that have 5A schools have so many more entertainment options than those who live in 3A sized communities - especially the 5A schools close to big cities like Houston, Dallas, and SA. I can remember years when WO-S had playoff games out of town there would be picket signs displayed on I-10 that said "Last one out, turn out the lights." It's just not the same in most 5A towns.

Ranger Mom
10-14-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by griff
One reason for the difference in crowds is because the people who reside in towns that have 5A schools have so many more entertainment options than those who live in 3A sized communities

I agree with that also.....it's a pity, they have no clue what they are missing out on!!

kepdawg
10-14-2006, 11:59 AM
If you want to see a 5A band go to an Allen game! At halftime of the Tom Landry Classic the entire Allen side stood when the band took the field and did not sit until they were done. I counted about 440 not including percussion or drill team and flags. I believe the total number is just under 600. It takes 18 school buses to transport them all.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2006, 12:03 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
I never watch the bands anyway....(sorry to all you band people out there, mainly marlinfan).....that is Meet and Greet, bathroom break, getting food, etc. time!!

lol i dont watch the band, what i am saying u can hear them loud and clear :cheerl:

LHMom
10-14-2006, 12:09 PM
3A is the "sweet spot" in my opinion. I've been to games in each classification. 5A is definitely too big and not personal at all. Typically just a social event... 4A can be right on the verge of that, as well. 1A and 2A are personal, but the crowd USUALLY isn't quite big enough to create quite the excitement. (No offense to smaller schools, but bigger is louder!)

In '04 season, my nephew from a 5A school got completely hooked on LH and 3A football in general. He absolutely loved the passion.

PHS Wildcats
10-14-2006, 12:54 PM
Allen and Henderson are my favorite bands, but yea the a big depth and size difference in 5A &3A football. I'll attend any football game from 5A to 3A

Not too big on 2A and below. Just my preference;)

Macarthur
10-14-2006, 02:01 PM
i saw southlake carroll last night and the thing that amazed me was how small carroll is.

their OL is good size, but their skill position people are not big at all. man they are quick though. their defense is small but very fast. i hope they hook up with lufkin this year; that will be a game.

PPHSfan
10-14-2006, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
i saw southlake carroll last night and the thing that amazed me was how small carroll is.

their OL is good size, but their skill position people are not big at all. man they are quick though. their defense is small but very fast. i hope they hook up with lufkin this year; that will be a game.

At the beginning of the year I thought this was going to be Lufkin's year. Now, however, after seeing Both teams play twice.....SLC is three touchdowns better than Lufkin this year.