PDA

View Full Version : Bridge City 22 Jasper 14

Paratrooper
10-14-2006, 10:01 AM
BRIDGE CITY — Bridge City survived a scare from winless Jasper, using a safety and a game-clinching touchdown late in the fourth quarter to hold off the more than game Bulldogs, 22-14, Friday night at Larry Ward Memorial Stadium.

“It was a real fine win for us,” said Bridge City coach Claude Tarver. “We played really well in the first half and was able to move the football. We fell behind at the end of the third quarter. I challenged our kids and they came through. They played a good fourth quarter and we were able to pull out a win. I’m real proud of that.”

After watching Jasper score touchdowns on both of its third quarter possessions, the BC defense rose to the occasion in the fourth quarter. Faced with a fourth-and-seven at the Jasper 43 with just under eight minutes left in the game, Tarver showed confidence in his defense by deciding to punt the ball and pin the Bulldogs deep in their own territory.

That’s exactly what punter Jeff Stringer did as he lofted a punt that was downed at the Jasper 1. Two plays later, Stringer led a defensive surge that stopped Jasper quarterback Cameron Stubblefield from getting out of his own end zone on an option play from the 2. The safety gave BC a 15-14 lead.

Jasper’s free kick went out of bounds, giving BC the ball at the 50 with 6:37 left in the fourth quarter. The Cardinals used a steady diet of Cody Mills running the ball. He carried five times for 33 yards on the drive, the last of which was a 6-yard touchdown run that give the Cardinals a 22-14 cushion with 1:29 left.

“I really thought about going for it, but fourth-and-eight was just too far,” said Tarver of his decision to punt instead of going for the first down. “I was hoping for exactly what happened. We pinned them deep and I was hoping for a fumble or to at least to get good field position. It really turned out better than I hoped by getting the safety and taking the lead. It really changed the complexion of the game.”

The Jasper defense had no answer for Dishon in the first half. On the Cardinals opening possession, he carried the ball six times for 58 yards. Unfortunately, the drive ended with a missed 22-yard field goal by Guadalupe Estrada.

Dishon, who also plays safety on defense, intercepted Stubblefield in the second quarter and returned it 47 yards to the Jasper 13.

That set up BC’s (4-2, 2-1) first score of the game as Mills went in from 4 yards out two plays later. The Cardinals pushed the lead to 13-0 on their next possession. This time it was Dishon beating the Bulldogs with his arm as he hit Chase Leger on a 41-yard scoring strike with 1:51 left in the second quarter.

Dishon led all rushers with 125 yards on 26 carries and completed 7-of-16 passes for 84 yards.

“When Dishon can do his thing, when he’s got his quickness, and his ankle was feeling pretty good tonight, he obviously makes a big difference in our offense,” said Tarver. “He just adds a different dimension. It opens up our passing game because people load up to stop him. He was able to make some key throws and make some great runs.”

Jasper (0-6, 0-3) took the opening possession of the third quarter and marched 66 yards for a touchdown. Stubblefield hit tailback Brandon McQueen on a pair of shuffle passes that with for a combined 31 yards. Travon Limberick finished off the drive with a 3-yard TD run.

The Bulldogs came right back on their next possession and went 75 yards for a touchdown that game them a 14-13 lead. A 29-yard run by Limberick, who finished with 96 yards on 17 carries, put the ball at the BC 12. He scored his second TD of the game four plays later on a 2-yard run.

“The effort was there, we had a great week of practice and the kids worked hard,” said Jasper coach Danny Lauve. “It was a shame we couldn’t come out with a win. We still made too many mistakes at critical times, and you can’t do that and win games.

“For our young guys, the mistakes we made we have to bounce back from. Anytime you’re in a tight game at the end, I think you always come away with something positive. I think our young kids will have something to build on.”

Jasper may still be searching for its first win, but the Bulldogs outgained the Cardinals 324 to 278. However, the mistakes coach Lauve was referring to included two interceptions and a costly fumble by McQueen on first-and-goal from the 4 in the first quarter.

“Jasper may be down, but they played hard tonight,” Tarver said. “They knew they had a chance to win a game. They really came down here and got after us. They’ve got good athletes, they’re just having a tough year. They’ve really been in just about every game they’ve played, they’re just not quite getting it done. Jasper’s going to beat someone before the season’s over. I don’t have any doubt about that.”

AggieJohn
10-14-2006, 10:12 AM
i remember when Jasper didn't lose

Paratrooper
10-14-2006, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

I still wouldn't count the Dogs out. They played an extremely tough pre district schedule. They have played with both K'ville and BC competitively. I still think they are going to beat someone in this district. I don't think I have ever seen a Jasper team with a worse record though. Jasper has had years of winning traditions. All teams have a rough go at it, unless your recruiting folks to play for you. However, almost all schools run into this at one point or another. This just isn't the Dogs year but I doubt they go winless.

Paratrooper
10-14-2006, 12:00 PM
Just curious from the Dog fans how they see the game with HF this week. I have predicted the Dogs will win this one.

kepdawg
10-14-2006, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Paratrooper
Just curious from the Dog fans how they see the game with HF this week. I have predicted the Dogs will win this one.

There will be tears in my eyes if they don't win this week!

Paratrooper
10-14-2006, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by kepdawg

I do sincerely hope the Dogs do win this week. They really only have this game and Hardin Jeff left on the plate that they can win. If they drop these two I think it will be the first time in Jasper history they have gone 0-10. I do think the community, the coaches and the players of Jasper will step up this week.

Hupernikomen
10-14-2006, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

Everyone has a down year every once in a while. Wasn't too long ago when Jasper had 2 or 3 down years in a row. Last several years have been good though.

Comeaux
10-14-2006, 06:56 PM
Do the Jasper coaches still signal the offensive plays in from the sidelines with one coach giving dummy signals?

exbccards76'smom
10-14-2006, 08:16 PM
It appeared that way it me. They would get on the line, then get up and look to the sidelines.

j_dog
10-14-2006, 11:40 PM
I do sincerely hope the Dogs do win this week. They really only have this game and Hardin Jeff left on the plate that they can win. If they drop these two I think it will be the first time in Jasper history they have gone 0-10. I do think the community, the coaches and the players of Jasper will step up this week.
No, unfortunately this would not be the first time Jasper has gone 0-10. But you probably have to go back to 1963 to get to a Jasper team that went 0-10. To tell you how back things were back then, their 5-6 or and 130 pounds so MILER from the track team was one of their DB's. Why? Well obviously, he was too small and too slow to play on the line! ;):p

The difference then and now is that this team has had a chance to win several of these games if the ball had bounced a little differently. Back in 1963 playing Jasper was the same as having an open week. HUGE difference! They celebrated TD's like most teams celebrate wins. :p

This Jasper team still has the capability to shock some folks. I will give up on them when they are mathematically eliminated. The last sub-500 team that Jasper had (2000 I think it was) made the playoffs with a 3-7 record.

spiveyrat
10-14-2006, 11:59 PM

You aren't already crying in your beer??? :eek: Man, I sure am! :bigcry:

kepdawg
10-15-2006, 12:05 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
You aren't already crying in your beer??? :eek: Man, I sure am! :bigcry:

I didn't expect many wins this season, so no there have been no tears.

spiveyrat
10-15-2006, 12:13 AM
I didn't expect many wins this season, so no there have been no tears.

I didn't expect many either. BUT, after the run we've had for the last 4-5 years, it's been pretty disappointing.

tam
10-15-2006, 05:42 AM
I still wouldn't count the Dogs out. They played an extremely tough pre district schedule. They have played with both K'ville and BC competitively. I still think they are going to beat someone in this district. I don't think I have ever seen a Jasper team with a worse record though. Jasper has had years of winning traditions. All teams have a rough go at it, unless your recruiting folks to play for you. However, almost all schools run into this at one point or another. This just isn't the Dogs year but I doubt they go winless.

They might beat Hj Or Hf, but that's there only chance for a win.

Paratrooper
10-15-2006, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I didn't expect many either. BUT, after the run we've had for the last 4-5 years, it's been pretty disappointing.

I still think Jasper has some guns that can go. Playing BH and Livingston followed by Newton is no joke. They played K'ville tooth and nail as well as BC. I still wouldn't count these guys out.

YBS
10-15-2006, 07:52 PM
Winless is bad, bad football. It's almost harder to go winless than it is to go undefeated IMO. Sheer mistakes by the other team and fortunate bounces your way would eventually find you able to get a win. I didn't expect much this season either but this is ridiculous. Youth is never an excuse for losing unless is coupled with extreme injuries and I have yet to hear about the copious amounts of injuries. I think it's time for the coaching staff to find a new gimmick that capitalizes on our talent instead of getting our talent to capitalize on the gimmick.