pirate4state
10-14-2006, 09:43 AM
Bulldogs bury pirates' streak
Sinton denied its 31st straight district victory

By JAVIER BECERRA Caller-Times
October 14, 2006

http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2006/10/14/P-2ORANGEGROVEb1014_d.jpg
Michelle Christenson/Caller-Times
Paul Duarte gave Orange Grove an early lead with this 32-yard touchdown run. He finished with 71 yards on six carries vs. Sinton.

http://mas.scripps.com/CCCT/2006/10/14/P-2ORANGEGROVE1014_d.jpg
Michelle Christenson/Caller-Times
Sinton’s Trent Hesseltine barely gets the first down as he is taken down by the Bulldogs’ Jordan Salas during the first quarter.

ORANGE GROVE - There's a new team to beat in District 30-3A.

Undefeated and undeterred, Orange Grove vanquished Sinton 16-10 on Friday to end the local powerhouse's streak of 31 consecutive district victories. The Bulldogs thwarted one last rally by the Pirates to hold on for the victory - something no opponent had done since Mathis on Sept. 29, 2000.

"I told the kids before the game it's going to take 48 minutes of hard-nosed football," Orange Grove coach Brent Kornegay said. "I'm so proud of our team. I'm happy for our kids, and I'm happy for our community."

Quarterback Paul Duarte ignited Orange Grove (1-0 district, 6-0 overall) with a 32-yard scoring run late in the first quarter. Sinton counterpart Wes Ring helped tie the game midway through the second quarter when he scored from four yards out, but the Bulldogs took the lead for good on a 21-yard field goal by Michael Gonzales just before halftime.

Oscar Rodriguez, who missed last week's win over Goliad with a knee injury, added to Orange Grove's lead in the third quarter on a 3-yard touchdown run. The Bulldogs botched the extra point attempt, but didn't need it.

Sinton (0-1, 1-5) pulled to within six points on Matt Villarreal's 22-yard field goal with 6:10 left to play. The Pirates had one last chance to at least tie the game, but the lack of timeouts and two timely sacks by Orange Grove ended the rally.

"They played well," Sinton coach Jimmie Mitchell said of the Bulldogs. "It says a lot about their coaching staff and their kids. They played hard and did a good job. They have a lot to be proud of."

Sinton, meanwhile, has some work to do.

Ring completed eight passes for 144 yards, but the offense managed only 102 yards on the ground. The Pirates were forced to punt five times and were penalized seven times for 55 yards.

Despite the loss, Mitchell is glad it happened.

"(The streak) was important, but also a monkey on our back at times," said Mitchell said. "That was a great streak, and we're somewhat relieved that it's over."

A light drizzle began to fall about an hour before the game, but let up just in time for the opening kickoff. Sinton had the ball twice and Orange Grove once before the Bulldogs took the lead with a quick two-play scoring drive that covered 48 yards.

Moses Aguilar fielded his second punt at the Orange Grove 35 and weaved through a crowd of defenders until finally being tackled after crossing into Sinton territory. Running back Jose Martinez picked up a yard on first down before a 15-yard pass interference penalty set up the Bulldogs at the 32.

Duarte took off around the left on a keeper and found an open lane to the end zone. Several Sinton defenders caught up with Duarte just as he reached the goal line, but the senior lunged at the last moment for the touchdown.

The Pirates responded with a scoring drive that began with 26 seconds left in the first quarter and ended midway through the second.

Working from the Sinton 27, Ring gained 11 yards on three straight carries to start the series. Ring scored six plays later on a 4-yard run, although he appeared to lose control of the ball as he crossed the goal line.

INDIVIDUAL STATISTICS

Rushing - SINTON, Ring 22-75, Jacob Guajardo 1-(-8), Trent Hesseltine 3-19, Zach Collins 4-8, Villarreal 5-7, Nick Harris 1-1; OG, Duarte 6-71, Jose Martinez 1-1, Israel Ochoa 6-17, Jonathan Rodriguez 2-6, O. Rodriguez 13-104, Jordan Salas 1-4.

Passing - SINTON, Ring 8-19-0, 144 yards; OG, Duarte 2-3-0, 16 yards, Salas 0-1-0.

Receiving - SINTON, Mark Goyet 5-91, Cruz Aranda 1-5, Freddy Mungia 2-48; OG, O. Rodriguez 1-3, J. Rodriguez 1-13.

Link (http://www.caller.com/ccct/high_school_football/article/0,1641,CCCT_11856_5066750,00.html)

AggieJohn
10-14-2006, 10:04 AM
wonder if OG's varsity coaches had as filthy a mouth as their sub varisty coaches

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 10:06 AM
Sinton / Orange Grove
Total First Downs 14 / 10
Third Down Conversion NR-NR / NR-NR
Total Offensive Yards 246 / 219
Offense (Plays-Average Yards) 55-4.5 / 33-6.6
Total Rushing Yards 102 / 203
Rushing (Plays-Average Yards) 36-2.8 / 29-7.0
Total Passing Yards 144 / 16
Passing (Comp-Att-Int-Avg) 8-19-NR-7.6 / 2-4-NR-4.0
Sacks NR / NR
Field Goals NR / NR
Touchdowns NR / NR
Touchdowns (Rushing-Passing-Defensive) 1-NR-NR / 2-NR-NR
*NR=statistic not recorded

Scoring Summary
1St Quarter - OG RUN None Paul Duarte 32yd - CONV: kick made by Michael Gonzales for 1pt(s)
2Nd Quarter - S RUN None Wes Ring 4yd - CONV: kick made by Matt Villarreal for 1pt(s)
OG - FG None Michael Gonzales 21yd
3Rd Quarter - OG RUN None Oscar Rodriguez 3yd
4Th Quarter - S FG None Matt Villarreal 22yd

I know it is not very eye friendly, sorry

stxfootballfan
10-14-2006, 11:03 AM
When was the last time Sinton had a losing record for the season?

District303aPastPlayer
10-14-2006, 11:06 AM
Originally posted by stxfootballfan
When was the last time Sinton had a losing record for the season?

1997 season. went 2-8

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
1997 season. went 2-8 dang....2-8. Almost 10 years ago. The season is far from over. The Pirates still can pull a rabbit out of the hat. ;) :p :cheerl:

piratebg
10-14-2006, 11:37 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
1997 season. went 2-8

There were high expectations for that team. They lost like all of there games by a TD or less.

For Sinton, it's time to rebuild. It's time to start calling up some JV and Freshman players to get some time in and prepare them for next season. I know the season is not over, but I'm thinking long term here.

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 11:38 AM
Originally posted by piratebg
There were high expectations for that team. They lost like all of there games by a TD or less.

For Sinton, it's time to rebuild. It's time to start calling up some JV and Freshman players to get some time in and prepare them for next season. I know the season is not over, but I'm thinking long term here. That's a tough call. I don't think I'd like "throwing in the towel" after ONE district loss.

I do "hear" what you are saying though. It's just such a tough call to make. I don't envy the coaches and the decisions they have to make. AND have to deal with the parents & the rest of the community. :rolleyes:

piratebg
10-14-2006, 11:42 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
That's a tough call. I don't think I'd like "throwing in the towel" after ONE district loss.

I'm not throwing the towel in just yet, but the team has lost a lot talent wise over the past couple of years. There is nothing wrong with getting some young players in the game.

piratebg
10-14-2006, 11:44 AM
That's a tough call. I don't think I'd like "throwing in the towel" after ONE district loss.

I do "hear" what you are saying though. It's just such a tough call to make. I don't envy the coaches and the decisions they have to make. AND have to deal with the parents & the rest of the community. :rolleyes:

No kidding. This town is so used to winning. Was the crowd in OG very big? I stayed home because I worked late, and there were a lot of people in town.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2006, 11:48 AM
I'm not throwing the towel in just yet, but the team has lost a lot talent wise over the past couple of years. There is nothing wrong with getting some young players in the game.

that would be only if they had no realistic chance of making the playoffs but with 4 district games left and needing to win 3 of them to make it in, you go with what they have, but maybe try and fix what is not working. so til they officially out of it, no u dont play for next year. Dont matter how u get into the playoffs as last year proved that, its if u can play your best once you are there.

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 11:50 AM
No kidding. This town is so used to winning. Was the crowd in OG very big? I stayed home because I worked late, and there were a lot of people in town. Yeah, the stands were pretty full. The locals are getting restless though.

AggieJohn
10-14-2006, 11:51 AM
Yeah, the stands were pretty full. They locals are getting restless though. their locals were mean to me in sinton when they came into your town

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
their locals were mean to me in sinton when they came into your town what do you expect you were wearing the wrong colors!!!! :p :p :p

AggieJohn
10-14-2006, 11:53 AM
when i ref i'm always wearing the wrong colors

piratebg
10-14-2006, 11:57 AM
I don't know. I've noticed an attitude with several of the players the past couple of seasons. They seem to underestimate their opponents, thinking the game is already won before they play. They are too busy looking down the road to Ingleside or hoping to get another shot at Cuero or whoever. Maybe it's just me.

The season isn't over, but if by chance we don't make the playoffs, I still think it would be good to get some time in to the underclassmen so that we can be a little more prepared for the years to come.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2006, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
when i ref i'm always wearing the wrong colors

Sinton fans were not to kind to the refs in OG game last night and for good reason :mad:

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2006, 12:01 PM
I don't know. I've noticed an attitude with several of the players the past couple of seasons. They seem to underestimate their opponents, thinking the game is already won before they play. They are too busy looking down the road to Ingleside or hoping to get another shot at Cuero or whoever. Maybe it's just me.

The season isn't over, but if by chance we don't make the playoffs, I still think it would be good to get some time in to the underclassmen so that we can be a little more prepared for the years to come.

yea i know what u mean, But that for the coaches to fix, just hope it gets done quick as its a trend that started after the GP win last year.

99IHSMustang
10-14-2006, 12:31 PM
I am sorry to hear that the Pirates lost a tough and close game. By no means are the Pirates out of the race for a playoff spot. Look at Ingleside last year, we lost to AP and Sinton and we still finished second. Then went three rounds into the playoffs. I don't think anyone should be giving up on the coaches or players. You guys have a winning tradition and every once in a while deviation from the norm does happen.
On a side note..... Did you see that TM beat Robstown 25 - 6 :eek:

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 04:20 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
I am sorry to hear that the Pirates lost a tough and close game. By no means are the Pirates out of the race for a playoff spot. Look at Ingleside last year, we lost to AP and Sinton and we still finished second. Then went three rounds into the playoffs. I don't think anyone should be giving up on the coaches or players. You guys have a winning tradition and every once in a while deviation from the norm does happen.
On a side note..... Did you see that TM beat Robstown 25 - 6 :eek: Thanks Izzy. I'm still looking forward to the rest of the district games. :)

I wonder if TM burned down the "city" last night?? :p Good win for the Warriors!! WTH happened to Robstown??? :confused:

LH Panther Mom
10-14-2006, 07:16 PM
I wonder if TM burned down the "city" last night?? :p Good win for the Warriors!! WTH happened to Robstown??? :confused:
Sometimes a "big" win can cause players to lose focus on the game at hand if they relish the victory too long. Don't know that's the case here, but I've seen & heard of it happening.

SintonFan_inAustin
10-14-2006, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by 99IHSMustang
On a side note..... Did you see that TM beat Robstown 25 - 6 :eek:

Pirates 1-5 record is against teams with a combine 28-8 record and with the exception of Cuero and PLC they had the chance to win the other games and should have. This team wont blow a team away just needs to finish off teams once they are ahead.