PDA

View Full Version : La Feria 12 @ Port Isabel 21

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-13-2006, 09:56 PM
FINAL

Adidas410s
10-13-2006, 10:15 PM
and there will be no flogging for Rita! ;)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
10-13-2006, 10:17 PM
:confused: pardon my French, but what the hell are you talking about?

footballgal
10-14-2006, 01:04 AM
Way to Go Tarpons!!! Ralph Valdez had another great game. POW of the week nomination here.

1 down, 3 to go.

pirate4state
10-14-2006, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
and there will be no flogging for Rita! ;) WOO HOO!!!! :D :clap: :D

I probably freaked out footballgal with my call!!! :p

footballgal
10-14-2006, 01:48 PM
Yeah you did, :D I thought it was my old firend Rita from Illinois, whom I had just gotten an email from yesterday. BTW, the new# is in on it's way to your PM. Should have warned me, I could have gotten you an half time score.

footballgal
10-14-2006, 01:56 PM
Tarpons top Lions in 32-3A opener

PI hands Lions first loss with 21-12 victory

By CHRIS COBB The Brownsville Herald

PORT ISABEL

— Port Isabel opened the District 32-3A schedule with a bang, overpowering previously unbeaten La Feria, 21-12, Friday night at Tarpon stadium.
The Tarpons’ defense stymied the Lions, holding them to just 155 yards on the night and senior running back Ralph Valdez ate up yards and time, keeping the La Feria offense off the field most of the second half to preserve the win.
“We just gave them a big dose of Ralph,” Tarpons coach Monty Stumbaugh said. “He was running tough and went and got it.”
Valdez finished with 151 yards on 29 carries, and more importantly, converted critical third and shorts throughout the second half to kill any La Feria hopes of a comeback.
“Their offense won it for them tonight, their defense didn’t win it,” La Feria coach Robert Valdez said. “They know how to win, read the sign.”
Valdez was referring to the sign in the south end zone listing PI’s numerous district championships and playoff victories.
The Tarpons looked every bit like a championship team Friday, dominating all phases of the game against a team that was reported as saying it was too tough, too fast and too strong for PI.
“No one should ever say that,” said Valdez, who gave most of the credit to his offensive line. “Especially in a district with only five teams, you just don’t say that.”
The Tarpons move to 1-0 in district with a 5-2 overall record, while La Feria falls to 0-1 and 4-1.
“They’ve got a good football team,” Stumbaugh said. “Every time we play it’s a war.”
Tarpons’ quarterback David Alaniz got the scoring started with a 36 yard scamper up the right side to put PI up 7-0.
The Lions couldn’t get anything going until the end of the first half when Alex Lopez caught a 55 yard bomb from Eleazar Esquivel. After holding La Feria on three downs from inside the 20, the Tarpons were then fooled badly on a fourthdown screen pass that Esquivel threw to Thomas Tovar who was able to score from 15 yards out.
The Lions missed the kick and trailed 7-6 before Nolan Nuñez broke free for a 63 yard run on the Tarpons next possession to go up 14-6 at half.
The Lions marched down the field to open the second half, scoring on a 14 yard run to make it 14-12. Esquivel couldn’t find a receiver in the end zone on the conversion, and the Lions still trailed by two.
Valdez drove the nail in the coffin with the second half’s only score.
He took a third-quarter screen pass up the right and put a nifty move on a helpless La Feria defender to cruise into the end zone for a 30-yard score.
The Tarpons defense kept the Lions out of the end zone, and PI made a big step toward the playoffs with a win against a highly-touted La Feria team.
“We knew they were going to be tough,” Stumbaugh said. “We played hard, and we beat a good football team.”

shankbear
10-14-2006, 01:58 PM
Go Tarps.

footballgal
10-14-2006, 05:02 PM
Thanks Shanbear, :) How are the in-laws doing?