PDA

View Full Version : Longest Field Goal Ever

Phil C
08-19-2003, 01:45 PM
The record is 69 yards held by Ove Johansson of Abilene Christian University which was kicked on October 16, 1976 against East Texas State University (now Texas A&M at Commerce). Abilene was faced with fourth and ten with 2:13 left in the first half and had the wind to its' back and the ball at its' own 48 yard line. With nothing to lose they let Johansson give it a try. It must be remembered that back then if a field goal missed the other team got the ball at its' 20 and not the line of scrimmage. He made the kick and history was made. The older record set by Tom Dempsey at New Orleans who had kicked a 63 yarder on the last play of the game in 1970 to beat the Detroit Lions. Of interest I said older record because on that same day earlier Tony Franklin of Texas A&M had broken Dempsey's record by kicking a 64 yard field goal against Baylor. In fact later in the game Franklin kicked a 65 yarder but it was too late to be a record since Johannson had already established the record at 69 yards.
For extra interest on October 21, 2001 Johansson set another record for field goal kicking by kicking a 53 yarder during half time of Abilene Christian's game with Tarleton State. This beat out George Blanda's record of 52 yards. This was the longest ever for a player over the age of 48. Today Johansson works in Amarillo as a financial consultant.
There were several others that have passed Tom Dempsey's record of 63 yards but none have passed Johannson. But for the dramatic ending none tops Dempsey's kick and one must remember that he did not have a right hand and only half a right foot(the kicking foot).
Oh and another note of interest especially to Sinton 66 :) is that Ove Johansson is from Sweden and learned his kicking skill while playing soccer. :)

espn1
08-19-2003, 02:00 PM
I may be mistaken but I think Dempseys was kicked off of the ground and the other from a tee.

trojandad
08-19-2003, 02:24 PM
Didn't a guy from U of Arkansas break the 63 yard record right before Franklin did him one better? I think his name was Little. He later had a bad accident and was a paraplegic. Is my memory failing me about this?

Phil C
08-19-2003, 02:51 PM
Great Recall Trojan. His name was Steve Little. Steve Little did kick a 67 yard field goal in it's loss to Texas (14 - 9)and even though the game was almost on the same day and month it was a year later in 1977. Johannson kicked his a year earlier. I don't know if he was in an accident or not but I read where he died in 1999. I don't know any details though. He was a great kicker for Arkansas.

trojandad
08-19-2003, 03:22 PM
I found this on Steve Little dated 9/7/99.

http://www.nwamorningnews.com/pdfarchive/1999/September/07/B1.pdf

I think I saw an ESPN article on him that said when he had the accident he got very bitter and it cost him a marriage. I know very little about him except that he, Franklin and Erxleben were tough back then.

crzyjournalist03
08-19-2003, 04:21 PM
I know this really doesn't count, but I think the best kick I ever saw was from current OU former Jackrabbit kicker Pete Cuva. We were at a track meet in Mabank in March of 2002, and some guys from another school were messing around with a football. One of them asked if any of us Forney people would want to challenge him to a kicking contest. Naturally, Pete volunteered without letting them know he was a kicker. The first guy kicked about a 20-yard field goal, then handed the ball to Pete. Pete then took off his shoes walked to midfield, had a guy set up for the kick, and he booted it straight through the uprights for a 60 yard field goal. The guys from the other school took their ball without saying a word, and walked off in embarassment.

3afan2K3
08-19-2003, 05:35 PM
My cousin used to kick. I think he has the recird for Copperas Cove(5A).

sinton66
08-19-2003, 06:01 PM
Heh, heh, Johansson's ball prolly had 50% helium in it. :D :D :D (But, I don't want to start any nasty rumors.)

<small>[ August 19, 2003, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

Keith7
08-19-2003, 06:24 PM
Jon Lopez kicked a 54 and a 57 yard feild goal against celina.. he kicked f.g.s of over 60 all the time in practice

wildstangs
08-19-2003, 07:12 PM
Little bit of fame for my college...I remember him kicking the other field goal it mentions at halftime during the TSU game.