PDA

View Full Version : Honest ? for aggies

BTEXDAD
10-13-2006, 07:23 AM
I've been Horn fan since way back in the 60's when the Koy boys from Bellville were playing with them, but I had a son who spent a couple yrs at A&M and I've actually seen a lot more games at Kyle Field than in Austin so I consider myself an A&M fan also.
I'll admit I've only seen a small portion of the Aggie games on television so far this year so I can't comment personally, but there was a John Harris on sportstalk 610 in Houston Wednesday morn. He's supposed to be their college football expert who comes on once per week.
He said that Michael Goodson is much better runner than either Lane or Lewis and Aggies would be better with him playing more. Would this be the case?
He said Lane too slow hitting hole and line can't hold blocks that long and Lewis just runs outside. Goodson supposedly can run inside with authority and is faster than Lewis.
It's coach's decision on whether to play Goodson or not, but I was just curious if there were more aggies who agreed with this John Harris since the only Aggie RB's I've heard discussed on here were lane and Lewis?

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 08:25 AM
first off 610 in houston is very 'sip friendly. Aggie message boards call it sip610.

To answer your question, Fran knows that Goodson is good. Lane knows that Goodson is good. Lewis knows that Goodson is good. However, Goodson is a rookie who is making rookie mistakes. In the first game versus the citadel Goodson fumbled three times on his first five carries, two of those were not recovered. Fran has called Goodson in comparison to Reggie Bush in talent. He fumbled once against U-LALA as well.

Bottom line: Goodson will be good, and will be the hoss of the group in the next few years.

injuredinmelee
10-13-2006, 08:33 AM
compared to Reggie Bush? The great ones like Bush dont make the 3 mistakes in 5 carries. Their athletic ability trascends the freshman learning curve. Sure they make mistakes but if this kid was even a pimple on Bushes butt he would be playing right now.

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
compared to Reggie Bush? The great ones like Bush dont make the 3 mistakes in 5 carries. Their athletic ability trascends the freshman learning curve. Sure they make mistakes but if this kid was even a pimple on Bushes butt he would be playing right now. their first five carries of their collegiate career people do.....

BTEXDAD
10-13-2006, 09:06 AM
compared to Reggie Bush? The great ones like Bush dont make the 3 mistakes in 5 carries. Their athletic ability trascends the freshman learning curve. Sure they make mistakes but if this kid was even a pimple on Bushes butt he would be playing right now.

Too early to say bush like talent for Goodson, but he was one of the top running back recruits in nation. If I remember right, he made late commitment to Aggies which helped an otherwise only better than average recruiting class become a top 15-20 class (on paper).

raider red 2000
10-13-2006, 09:09 AM
i would rather have goodson than jaw-vor-ski.

Goodson is a good son :)

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 09:18 AM
Fran leaves Lane in for the money plays in the same fashion that Texas left vince in last year on 3rd and Long and would have him scramble

GreenMachine
10-13-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
I've been Horn fan since way back in the 60's when the Koy boys from Bellville were playing with them, but I had a son who spent a couple yrs at A&M and I've actually seen a lot more games at Kyle Field than in Austin so I consider myself an A&M fan also.
I'll admit I've only seen a small portion of the Aggie games on television so far this year so I can't comment personally, but there was a John Harris on sportstalk 610 in Houston Wednesday morn. He's supposed to be their college football expert who comes on once per week.
He said that Michael Goodson is much better runner than either Lane or Lewis and Aggies would be better with him playing more. Would this be the case?
He said Lane too slow hitting hole and line can't hold blocks that long and Lewis just runs outside. Goodson supposedly can run inside with authority and is faster than Lewis.
It's coach's decision on whether to play Goodson or not, but I was just curious if there were more aggies who agreed with this John Harris since the only Aggie RB's I've heard discussed on here were lane and Lewis? Fast running back. Will probably be very good, but has a fumble problem. I'm hoping to see some of Cooper next year. :thumbsup:

coach
10-13-2006, 09:30 AM
i wouldnt say lane is too slow yeah he is slow for a running back but very quick on his feet and courtney is just a baby just like reggie mcneil he dont have the man in him to play football he is always hurt and is afraid to make a tackle i herd one sports anyalists say that courtney has heisman potential and i laughed i think it was actually corso but beside the fact ive seen all but one aggie gamwe this year and goodson is pretty salty for a freshman and yes he does have a fumble problem but ive never seen a back from a&m hit a hole that hard before he is incredibly quick and maybe he is the future of aggie football and i laugh when u compare him to reggie bush thats like comparing kobe bryant to michael jordan lol. lets hope he dosent turn into a bust like courtney or even THE GEAT REGGIE MCNEIL

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 09:32 AM
Originally posted by coach
i wouldnt say lane is too slow yeah he is slow for a running back but very quick on his feet and courtney is just a baby just like reggie mcneil he dont have the man in him to play football he is always hurt and is afraid to make a tackle i herd one sports anyalists say that courtney has heisman potential and i laughed i think it was actually corso but beside the fact ive seen all but one aggie gamwe this year and goodson is pretty salty for a freshman and yes he does have a fumble problem but ive never seen a back from a&m hit a hole that hard before he is incredibly quick and maybe he is the future of aggie football and i laugh when u compare him to reggie bush thats like comparing kobe bryant to michael jordan lol. lets hope he dosent turn into a bust like courtney or even THE GEAT REGGIE MCNEIL

i didn't compare him to Bush, Fran did...

coach
10-13-2006, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by AggieJohn

o i know

coach
10-13-2006, 09:34 AM

i was talking in general when i said i laugh when u compare him to reggie sorry bout that

raider red 2000
10-13-2006, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
Fast running back. Will probably be very good, but has a fumble problem. I'm hoping to see some of Cooper next year. :thumbsup:

i hope he is doing well. i doubt that he will se much PT for a while though.

GreenMachine
10-13-2006, 09:44 AM
I mentioned Cooper from Cuero. Is there any word about him in Aggieland?

Maroon87
10-13-2006, 09:45 AM
first off 610 in houston is very 'sip friendly. Aggie message boards call it sip610.

Well, it is the Houston affiliate of the Longhorn Sports Network. I guess they don't wanna bite the hand that feeds.

Bulldog_12
10-13-2006, 09:52 AM
I mentioned Cooper from Cuero. Is there any word about him in Aggieland?

Red Shirt, but anyways, Rivals and such even talked about his skills and the way he runs are SIMILAR to that of Bush. Sur ehe had three fumbles in his FIRST game as a true freshman. After that, it has been pretty smooth sailing. The kid is definitely a finese runner. Comparing he and Jorvorskie is apples and oranges. They have two different running styles. Its like a reggie bush/lindale white combo. BTW: 610 is trash.

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
610 is trash.

especially since they pulled their affilation with ESPN

greenpride
10-13-2006, 10:04 AM
Fast running back. Will probably be very good, but has a fumble problem. I'm hoping to see some of Cooper next year. :thumbsup:

Don't count on Cooper seeing too much playing time. I hope you are wrong but the word is he is going to be a fullback type, which means he will be behind the guy who should be on dexatrim.

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by greenpride
Don't count on Cooper seeing too much playing time. I hope you are wrong but the word is he is going to be a fullback type, which means he will be behind the guy who should be on dexatrim. also known as the guy who has the second most touchdowns in the nation

greenpride
10-13-2006, 10:31 AM
also known as the guy who has the second most touchdowns in the nation

If the Chicago Bears wanted to make "The Refrigerator" into a fullback, they could have. He would have scored a lot of TDs also. I will agree that Lane has good feet for a large guy, but he has no chance for a break-away TD. If he truly wanted to be a running back in college, he should concentrate on losing weight and becoming a more versatile back. WHen the kid's head is oozing out of the side of the helmet, it might be time to do something.

injuredinmelee
10-13-2006, 10:39 AM
their first five carries of their collegiate career people do.....

The great ones dont.

bulldogman06
10-13-2006, 11:13 AM
Umm, the great ones do. Actually, a lot of the great ones dont even get the opporunity to play as true freshman. Goodson is an animal, oh, and the reason people compare him with Bush for all of you who dont know is becuase Pete Carrol wanted Goodson to be his replacement. This kid has some serious potential

WestTXLonghorn
10-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Umm, the great ones do. Actually, a lot of the great ones dont even get the opporunity to play as true freshman. Goodson is an animal, oh, and the reason people compare him with Bush for all of you who dont know is becuase Pete Carrol wanted Goodson to be his replacement. This kid has some serious potential

So did Reggie McNeal. It all depends on what you do with it.

coach
10-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
So did Reggie McNeal. It all depends on what you do with it.

amen biggest waist of talent and biggest baby ive ever seen

eagles_victory
10-13-2006, 11:41 AM
Originally posted by bulldogman06
Umm, the great ones do. Actually, a lot of the great ones dont even get the opporunity to play as true freshman. Goodson is an animal, oh, and the reason people compare him with Bush for all of you who dont know is becuase Pete Carrol wanted Goodson to be his replacement. This kid has some serious potential wasnt that Emmanuel Moody who Carrol wanted to replace Bush? Not everyone has those problems Adrian Peterson rushed for over 100 yards his first 9 games of his freshman year.

coach
10-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
wasnt that Emmanuel Moody who Carrol wanted to replace Bush? Not everyone has those problems Adrian Peterson rushed for over 100 yards his first 9 games of his freshman year.

didnt kyle lightsey play pretty good as a fresman too lol

big daddy russ
10-13-2006, 12:26 PM
RB wasn't a stud the first time he touched the field. He was a backup RB and rushed for 529 yards (respectable), but it wasn't until his sophomore year that he really became a "breakout" player, and that wasn't even a great year. Sure, he was exciting and all, but he wasn't "the guy." Heck, he only started two games as a soph and only ran for 908 yards, though he did do a lot on special teams and as a receiver out of the backfield.

Now I don't think that Goodson will be as good as Bush was, but I can definitely see the comparisons.

KL3
10-13-2006, 01:17 PM
BTEXDAD, I think you will see a heavy does of Goodson this week. Even though Coach Fran said Courtney Lewis was a little banged up last week, everything I've heard said he could have played. It's been a little too much of injuries,attitude/demeanor for Lewis to finally get the coaches to now turn it over to Goodson.

g$$
10-13-2006, 01:18 PM
Pete Carroll wanted Goodson & Reggie Bush hosted him on his visit. Goodson originally committed to OK State. Moody ended up at USC but Goodson was their main target. Moody is talented, don't get me wrong. Goodson has shown flashes lately after the early fumbling woes. Time will tell how tough he is & if he is more than a scat back. I like him & Lane as a combo, but I do wish Lane would drop a few pounds. Lewis is garbage & always hurt or in the doghouse. (Lane does not play FB, that is Alexander. Part of his recruitment involved telling him he would not play FB, as Texas told him he was a FB for what it's worth.)

AJ: 610 has not been ESPN since 790 came aboard in 2004, & now they are going away from ESPN too. 97.5 FM will become ESPN Radio in January. I like 610 in the mornings & 790 in the afternoons w/ Charlie Palillo. He's the best in this market & very fair. 610's John & Lance are ok in the morning.

coach
10-13-2006, 01:26 PM
has there ever been a week that courtney wasnt banged up little pansi

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 01:28 PM
lewis might be banged up but he's still been the leading rusher the last three seasons.....

that being said, his overall production the last 2 years are kind of sad

coach
10-13-2006, 01:30 PM
lewis might be banged up but he's still been the leading rusher the last three seasons.....

that being said, his overall production the last 2 years are kind of sad

r u like me do u consider him a bust

AggieJohn
10-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by coach
r u like me do u consider him a bust just underpreformed

g$$
10-13-2006, 01:36 PM
Big time bust after a good freshman year. Weird dude too. I question his desire & toughness. He suited up last week & saw zero PT. Remember him laughing with Reggie on the sidelines last year against Texas too? Good riddance.

Bulldog_12
10-13-2006, 02:25 PM
Originally posted by eagles_victory
Not everyone has those problems Adrian Peterson rushed for over 100 yards his first 9 games of his freshman year.

totally different situation. OU had nobody that was proven to be a great back at the time so why not let the kid play. A&M had two very experienced RBs, one of whom had a 1,000 yd freshman year, but due to injuries hasnt seen much time since. the other is a bruising 275 lbs RB who can get you over a 100 yds a game. There hasnt been much of a need to use Goodson until now. I think now that his problems and nervousness are gone, we are really going to see some flashes of brilliance. Russ had a great point too about Bush.