PDA

View Full Version : Region IV, Division 2

bulldog94
10-31-2002, 02:19 PM
Who looks to be the toughest coming out of this region?

Chris Hart
10-31-2002, 04:20 PM
These teams stick out to me, Liberty Hill, LaVernia, Yoakum, Cuero, Rice, Aransas Pass and Port Isabel. There is no real clear cut favorite in there IMO. I think the final will be Liberty Hill/Cuero vs. Port Isabel.

Bandera could be a darkhorse, with their experience.

2KDawg
10-31-2002, 04:37 PM
Yeah theres alot of good teams only time will tell... But i do think if liberty hill makes it past la vernia, i dont think they can upset cuero.. but then again liberty hill has surpised alot of people (including a good bandera team) so i wish them the best of luck!

big daddy russ
10-31-2002, 04:58 PM
i'm going to go with either liberty hill or rice consolidated as my favorites, though la vernia, port isabel and cuero are going to cause some problems.

Big Tarp 74
10-31-2002, 05:44 PM
Today, I got a chance to speak to one of the out town refs. He was at our bank today, and told us that they had not seen a team as fast as Port Isabel. The refs were out of the Larado area. He said that if this team gets onto turf, they would be very hard to catch. He also stated he had ref La Verna and they did not have this type of speed. He had been hearing himself up till the Port Isabel vs La Feria game, that Port Isabel was fast, but did not expect to see a team with screeming speed. On a wet field you have a chance with them, but on a dry field, they would be very hard to stop. He said Port Isabel is not a big ball club as far as size goes, but they are very fast, and hit with extreme force. He said several La Feria ball players were knocked right into next week. One player did not know were he was. I told him that our team has been playing good. They have faced some very strong 4A schools, some from the valley and another near San Antonio. This team does not get rattled by size or speed, they just play hard. They are fast, but I have not see other teams out of our area, so I would not know. They look fast to me, but it hard to judge. When Port Isabel played Fal, The Fal fan tolds us that we were alot faster than Wes Oso, again I have not seen Wes Oso. I just know on any given Friday you can be beat no matter how good you are. I know they will face someone out of Distict 31-AAA. We will not know till after this week. Good Luck to your teams. This has been a good year for footballs teams in Class 3A. Hope to see ya all down the road in the Playoffs.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2002, 02:55 AM
My top teams in Region IV Div. 2 would be Bandera, Yoakum, Port Isabel, and Aransas Pass, with Cuero being a very dangerous darkhorse.

The reason why I leave out La Vernia is because of the fact they struggled against a below average Marion team last week, and even though they're still undefeated, it showed that they aren't as tough as everyone makes them out to be.

And as for Liberty Hill, I don't know much of anything about them, so therefore I didn't mention them only because I don't know anything about them. No disrespect intended.

My Region IV Final - Bandera/Yoakum vs. Port Isabel

bulldog94
11-01-2002, 10:11 AM
I don't see Yoakum making it that far. I have seen a lot of film on them and they are a little down from injuries, kids who didn't come out this year and alway of course, graduation. Who would Yoakum play First round?

I agree with the statment about La Vernia. From past experience they seem to be big, disciplined, and very physical. I think a team with speed could hurt them.

I am not sure about Port Isabel. The coach down there must be doing a good job. But how will they match up against teams from out of the South Texas area? (Cuero, Liberty HIll, Rice, Edna)
The last time I remember them having a really good team was in 1994.

Kool Tarpon 21
11-01-2002, 10:48 AM
I don't know how we will match up with the other teams out of the valley, but I can tell you one thing, we're going to play hard and with a lot of heart. I know P.I. hasn't done that good since 1994, but I believe that we can do good. What we have to do right now is worry about Progreso. Like Jeff said, we got to take it one step at a time. Good luck to all teams out there.

GO BIG BLUE!!!
Missile #21

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2002, 11:36 AM
Hey Bulldog, if there's a major difference between the 1994 version of the Port Isabel Tarpons (which I am a proud member of) and this year's version of the Tarpons, it's speed.

The 1994 team had a good coach, a great offense, and a great defense. Strengths included experience (29 Seniors), quickness, and a lot of heart. A major weakness was the fact that the 1994 version did not have great OVERALL team speed. Sure, there was some speed at a majority of the skill positions, but when we encountered Sealy in the semi-finals, our speed didn't even come close to matching their speed, and that killed us.

This year's version is in a lot of ways very similar, but in a couple of MAJOR ways very different. They also have a great coach, great offense, and great defense. They play with a lot of heart, and play hard. MAJOR differences, their overall team speed is absolutely incredible (puts 1994 version to shame! eek! ), and even though there are only 7 Seniors on this year's team, they are still very experienced as a majority Sophomore/Junior ballclub due to the fact that a lot of them were starters as Sophomores and even Freshmen the last couple of years.

Whoever Port Isabel encounters in the playoffs will, at least I think, be completely taken by surprise and shocked at how fast, YES I SAID FAST, this year's Tarpons are. And the REALLY FUN part about all this is.......they're almost all Sophomores and Juniors! Just think, whatever they end up doing in the playoffs this season will just be improved upon the next TWO seasons, and if they end up going far THIS season, people down in "Tarpon Country" are going to be REAL excited next season. Heck, i'm ALREADY excited.

big daddy russ
11-01-2002, 11:45 AM
i seem to remember the '95 port isabel team being pretty strong, too. they were ranked like eighth in the state at the end of the year.

bulldog94
11-01-2002, 11:49 AM
Tarpon Fan:

I saw the 1994 team play. Port Isabel had a good QB and a good receiver then. It will be interesting over the next 2 years to see how they compare, especially since they are so young.

I like to think back to the playoff game in 1993 at Memorial Stadium in Austin. (Good Memories)

Big Tarp 74
11-01-2002, 12:08 PM
I have to agree with Tarpon Fan In North Texas this team is very very fast overall. However, there offense is much like the 1981 team, but their defense is like the 1994 team. Most teams in our district can not get over the difference a year made. In speaking with other fan from our district, they keep saying the same thing we do, which is were did all that speed come from. This is not just avg, speed, this is speed is just flat unbeleivable. I saw a linebacker from Hidalgo run up on our quarterback, only to be put into shock when this quarterback saw a hole an bolted, it made the linebacker look like he was standing still. I will say the same as North Texas Fan, teams playing Port Isabel will be stunned at their speed. This speed is not in two or 3 kids, it in at least 8 and the offense line is very fast as well. Go Big Blue!!!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2002, 01:09 PM
big daddy russ:
i seem to remember the '95 port isabel team being pretty strong, too. they were ranked like eighth in the state at the end of the year.The major difference between the 1994 and 1995 Tarpons is that the 94 team could score easily, whereas the 95 team had a tougher time scoring.

The only reason the 95 team was ranked was because of 94's reputation. I felt that the 1995 team was NOT a top 10, they were probably at the bottom end of Top 25. Their problem was a QB who was a major prima-donna, and huge ball hog.

Crow22
11-01-2002, 02:23 PM
Why on Earth does everybody continue to say that Cuero is one of the teams to beat in the region? Last time I checked, didn't Rice beat them pretty soundly?

bulldog94
11-01-2002, 02:33 PM
That is true. Rice won like 24-6 didn't they? I think Cuero has gotten much better since then. I think they will win district and make it a couple of rounds. I do not see them making it into the Regional Final against Port Isabel. I think a lot of people would like to see a rematch between the 2.

As I stated before, Teams to beat in Region IV:

Bandera, Liberty HIll, Rice, Edna, and possibly La Vernai and Cuero.

Hannibal
11-01-2002, 02:39 PM
What has happened to Edna? They started out like gang-busters and haven't heard much since.

nfcfan
11-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Port Isabel chances are better than previous years because they dont have to play in the div. I bracket, with teams like Sinton, Jasper, W.Point, Everman, Forney, but hey that's out of the Tarpons hands. :)

Yet, I would'nt mind them playing Sinton; in one of those i wonder how they stack up against these highly touted teams game. Well, they do have a common oppenent w/Sinton. Sinton beat the team by 25 while PI beat the same team by 31. Not to shabby. wink

GO TARPONS GO!

Crow22
11-01-2002, 03:01 PM
Rice beat Edna 41-9 last week.

Rice is REALLY YOUNG. They will be hell on wheels the next two years.

Donkey41
11-01-2002, 03:07 PM
To all of those who think that Liberty Hill is playing La Vernia don't know much about matchups. District 26 Winner plays the District 25 runner up... Which would be Bandera.
La Vernia plays Bandera first round and will not meet Liberty Hill untill the regional finals. And yes La Vernia is big and disciplined, but to everyone who thinks that they are slow are mistaken. The defensive backs are pretty quick and should not be overlooked. Just so you guys don't forget. The only bad thing about our district is that we play Lylte and West campus before the playoffs therefore we are not seeing a very good team for at least 3 weeks then we hit Bandera, but I think we can still win.

Mingus
11-01-2002, 03:32 PM
As far as Sinton and PI, Sinton played Raymondville the first week of the season. Sinton has beaten Cuero, Rice and Gregory Portland. Not too shabby! But, it does not matter until the last team is standing in Mid December now does it.

Big Tarp 74
11-01-2002, 03:43 PM
You are right! Offense wins games; Defense wins Championships. Port Isabel has both, a good offense and a fast hard hitting defense! They did a good job of beating up on Florisville and holding their own against powerhouse Los Fresnso, both these school are 4A. PI lost to Los Fresnso 42 to 35, but Los Fresnos has not lost even to 5A schools. We are the only team to have out played Los Fresnos. They had 428 total yards of offense to Port Isabels 481 yards. Keep in mine no defense in the entire valley has been able to hold Los Fresnos Offense Machine. Los Fresnos has a huge offense line, a tremendous passing game, as well as a good running game.

Donkey41:
To all of those who think that Liberty Hill is playing La Vernia don't know much about matchups. District 26 Winner plays the District 25 runner up... Which would be Bandera.
La Vernia plays Bandera first round and will not meet Liberty Hill untill the regional finals. And yes La Vernia is big and disciplined, but to everyone who thinks that they are slow are mistaken. The defensive backs are pretty quick and should not be overlooked. Just so you guys don't forget. The only bad thing about our district is that we play Lylte and West campus before the playoffs therefore we are not seeing a very good team for at least 3 weeks then we hit Bandera, but I think we can still win.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-01-2002, 05:54 PM
bulldog94:
Tarpon Fan:

I saw the 1994 team play. Port Isabel had a good QB and a good receiver then. It will be interesting over the next 2 years to see how they compare, especially since they are so young.

I like to think back to the playoff game in 1993 at Memorial Stadium in Austin. (Good Memories)Did you play for Bandera in 1994?

bulldog94
11-03-2002, 07:34 PM
No, I did not play for Bandera in 1994.

GOFOR2
11-03-2002, 08:46 PM
As far as the playoff scenario goes in Region IV, you could be looking at a Reg. Semi-Final looking like this.
Liberty Hill or Rice Consolidated vs.
Aransas Pass or Bandera

greendog fan
11-03-2002, 09:18 PM
How can you say Bandera is District 25 runner up. They may not even make the play offs this year. They have to beat Llano first. If Llano beats them then Llano gets 3rd in district. Burnet 1st in district Liberty Hill 2nd and who knows about 3rd.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-03-2002, 10:19 PM
GOFOR2:
As far as the playoff scenario goes in Region IV, you could be looking at a Reg. Semi-Final looking like this.
Liberty Hill or Rice Consolidated vs.
Aransas Pass or BanderaGeez, thanks for your "vote" of confidence for Port Isabel. Tarpons will just have to prove you wrong. Aransas Pass won't be able to handle Port Isabel's speed.

Harry_MAN
11-03-2002, 10:38 PM
greendog fan:
How can you say Bandera is District 25 runner up. They may not even make the play offs this year. They have to beat Llano first. If Llano beats them then Llano gets 3rd in district. Burnet 1st in district Liberty Hill 2nd and who knows about 3rd.That would be LH 1st BH 2nd...

Big Tarp 74
11-04-2002, 08:17 PM
Here is a little tid bit. Port Isabel played Florisville, and Florisville beat Beeville. Port Isabel beat Florisville earlyer in a controlled schrimmage. Peope we know who went to that schrimmage out of the San Antonio area are very aware of Port Isabel speed. It was the speed of our saftey alone that woke up the crowds. He hit Florsvilles running back so hard he complete fliped, and landed on his back. He did not move for a minute, he was stunned by that hit, and many others to follow. The San Antonio fans told us this team was going to do well, and guess what, they were right. Year in and Year out we just dont get any credit. Remember, its not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog. We have several scouts that do scouting work for colleges, and Universities. They have also stated it going to take a very very good defensive team to beat this ball clubs offense, and a real good offense to keep the ball away from them. This team seem to strike without any warning. The scouts are very impressed with Port Isabel speed. As a team, they rank them on a scale of 1-10 about 9. Both the Defense and the Offense is very very fast. As for size, PI is not large, they have some weight up front on their lines, but lack in height. The scouts stated that this team main weapons are its speed, it offense schemes, and a very good amout of raw talent. This team has good personnel in it skilled positions, a good special team, good running backs with lightning speed, Linebackers with great speed, and most of all, the heart of a Lion. This team never gives up no matter who they play. They are not afraid of size, or speed, they have faced that several time this season. If I was a coach in this 3A leage, I would not under estimate this ball club what so ever. La Feria was undefeated, and suffered a bitter loss. Rio Hondo was undefeated and suffered a bitter loss. Los Fresnos who out right won their 4A district had it hardest game against Port Isabel. Los Fresnos who has run over it foes, was unable to run over Port Isabel, in Fact, Los Fresnos almost lost.

<small>[ November 04, 2002, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>

Ozzy
11-04-2002, 08:56 PM
greendog fan:
How can you say Bandera is District 25 runner up. They may not even make the play offs this year. They have to beat Llano first. If Llano beats them then Llano gets 3rd in district. Burnet 1st in district Liberty Hill 2nd and who knows about 3rd.Burnet vs. Liberty Hill for the district championship. The outcome doesn't matter in playoff seeding. Burnet is DI. LH is D2 #1 seed. The third spot is up for grabs. Bandera controls their own destiny. They win, they're in. If Llano beats Bandera, they are in with a Wimberley win over Ingram. If Ingram wins along with Llano, there is a 3-way tie for 3rd. It will then be decided by point differential, with a +8 cap. Everyone clear?

sinton66
11-04-2002, 08:56 PM
I posted this on another thread, but guess it belongs on this one, so here goes:
Div.2 according to my current calculations:
Round one:.........Round 2:........Round 3:
W25 Liberty Hill(W)Liberty Hill(W) Liberty Hill(W)
R26 Poteet.........Yoakum..........West Oso
W27 Yoakum (W)
R28 Edna
W29 Devine
R30 West Oso(W).....West Oso (W)
W31 Orange Grove(W).Orange Grove
R32 Raymondville or Lyford
R25 Bandera
W26 La Vernia (W)...La Vernia......Rice Cons.
R27 Cuero...........Rice Cons.(W)..Port Isabel(W)
W28 Rice Cons.(W)
R29 Crystal City....Aransas Pass
W30 Aransas Pass(W).Port Isabel (W)
R31 Bishop
W30 Port Isabel (W)
Regional final will be a toss-up.

<small>[ November 05, 2002, 02:39 PM: Message edited by: sinton66 ]</small>

GOFOR2
11-04-2002, 09:43 PM
Look BigTarp, you have all of these we beat them who beat them who beat them and beat them scenarios, well if that's the case then Michael Jordan and I are practically related since he is married to a Latin woman. Come on man, scrimmages are far different from games, especially playoff games. I dont care what Los Fresnos or any other team in the valley did or did not do against Port Eye, there is a marked dropoff in valley football when compared to other areas, and FYI Floresville and Beeville are not very good this year. Good Luck in the playoffs, I hope it does go well for you and your Tarps. It would be nice to see an improvement in Valley Football.

nfcfan
11-04-2002, 10:04 PM
Port Isabel easily over any Div II 'Coastal Bend' team.

Isn't the rankings based on common opponents? FYI, PI scored more pts than Highly touted Sinton against Raymondville. wink

I agree that the valley needs more Regional and semi showings, and beating the coastal bend area is not enough. eek!

big daddy russ
11-04-2002, 10:07 PM
Big Tarp 74:
Here is a little tid bit... Port Isabel played Florisville, and Florisville beat Beeville. Port Isabel beat Florisville earlyer in a controlled schrimmage...If you want to get into all that, AP's first team beat Gregory-Portland's first team in a scrimmage. G-P beat Calallen (ranked fifth, class 4A) this past week.

sinton66
11-04-2002, 10:27 PM
Isn't the rankings based on common opponents? FYI, PI scored more pts than Highly touted Sinton against Raymondville.
Well, SURE, after we softened 'em up for you. :p

RiverRat19
11-04-2002, 10:33 PM
Let's not get too into the "Bulldog High beat Eagle High so....." thing TOO much.....

1st week teams are FAR from being the same team as a week 7 or 8 team. The PI-Raymondville score is really only an indication of what those 2 teams did on that week.

If PI has the speed is is claimed to have, then they could be formidable. If they have a hard time tackling or are out of position often then it just means they will be able to catch the opponents from behind a little better. I don't mean to pile on but I really don't see them getting to the regional final. If they do, great and they deserve it.

Please- let's stop comparing who beat who in pre-district to say what playoff results should happen.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-05-2002, 11:22 AM
RiverRat19:
If PI has the speed is is claimed to have, then they could be formidable.RiverRat - In regard to Port Isabel's speed, it's one of those things where you have to "see it for yourself". At the beginning of the season, when BigTarp was telling me how fast these young men were, I thought it was a bunch of BS. Then when I flew down from Dallas to the RGV to watch the Tarpons play against Los Fresnos, I got to see it in person.

This was me, when Port Isabel started breaking LONG runs and pulling away from defenders. -------------&gt; eek!

If you can, why not go watch Port Isabel's bi-district game vs Bishop/Orange Grove (still not sure who, but narrowed down to those two) and see for yourself? :D

bulldog94
11-05-2002, 01:39 PM
I have heard that PI has a really fast back or receiver. I believe he made it to the state track meet.

bulldog94
11-05-2002, 01:39 PM
I have heard that PI has a really fast back or receiver. I believe he made it to the state track meet last year.

bulldog94
11-05-2002, 01:51 PM
Tarpon Fan In North Texas:

I am not from Bandera.

RiverRat19
11-05-2002, 02:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by TarponFanInNorthTexas:

This was me, when Port Isabel started breaking LONG runs and pulling away from defenders. -------------&gt; eek!

I don't doubt that there is speed at PI. What I'm saying is that speed alone should not make a team a contender or favorite. If they are undisciplined (I am not saying they are/are not) or have relied mostly on talent alone to win( if schemes/game plans have been weak) or the competition has been vastly inferior (a true possibility, given the area's track record and true for many other areas/regions) then the fact that a team has talent is only a statement of fact, not a sole reason to think they will succeed.

If they have speed, they should be able to take advantage of OG's D. If they play soft defense, relying mostly on speed, they'll give up points and the team with the ball last would probably win the game.

It should be a good first round matchup regardless.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-05-2002, 06:47 PM
It's not just speed and talent that they have. They are very well coached, by a hardcore disciplinarian by the name of Monty Stumbaugh who did his best to schedule the toughest teams available for Port Isabel to play in the non-district schedule. He knows that the competition level in 32-3A isn't all that great, hence the tough non-district schedule.

At any rate, it would take a VERY good team to beat Port Isabel in the playoffs this year. :D

<small>[ November 05, 2002, 06:02 PM: Message edited by: TarponFanInNorthTexas ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-05-2002, 06:52 PM
bulldog94:
I have heard that PI has a really fast back or receiver. I believe he made it to the state track meet.That's Misael "Missle" Iracheta. He plays safety, and PR/KR. He'll sometimes play WR and on occasion, RB, AND is VERY swift. He won the state title in the 3A 400 Meter Dash last year as a Sophomore.

footballgal
11-05-2002, 06:58 PM
now that all have the scouting report..... :rolleyes:

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-05-2002, 07:03 PM
footballgal:
now that all have the scouting report..... :rolleyes: Check your PM

Big Tarp 74
11-05-2002, 07:44 PM
Hey guys, I am not stating we are better or worse then any other playoff team. I just simply stated this team was fast. Any team that is fast has to be respected. The reason is you can be big, but if your not fast enough to stop them from going around you, you will get beat no matter how much talent you have. I have seen this happen too many time. Most teams that advance up in the playoff are generaly avg size, but they have someone with speed. I have noticed, that no matter what all The Rio Grande Valley teams get put down. Region IV is considered by most to be the weekest Region in texas. This is sad. There are many good teams within Region IV. Most of the people I know do not see Port Isabel as a week team. What has hurt us over the past 6 years have been school board administators placing a coach who was not supported by the community, as well as being unqualified to be the coach. He took a good football program and run it into the ground. What get me the most is Region II, and Region III, say the same thing about all the teams in Region IV, it is a week Region, they play poor quality teams. When ever we state we have player that are fast, they guy are below avg, in Region II and Region III. I doubt, there are many player in Region II or Region III, that can even stay with missle. As for teams Port Isabel has played, here is the District standing for Distict 32-4A. Port Isable played against LF, EE, and Mec.

32-4A W L Pt For Pt Vs.
Los Fresnos 9 0 400 196 9 W-9 *
Game LF-42 PI-35

Harlingen South 6 3 218 150 9 L-1

Edcouch-Elsa 5 4 227 188 9 W-1 *
Schrimmage EE-1 PI-1

Lopez 4 5 203 196 9 W-1

Mercedes 4 5 158 196 9 W-3 *
Schrimmage Mec-2 PI-1

Porter 1 8 99 291 9 L-2

Weslaco East 0 9 37 302 9 L-9

SintonFan_inAustin
11-05-2002, 08:17 PM
Region 4 is considered weak because of South texas to the valley. It has been considered slow and avg size with no talented players. Mathis and now sinton have shown that there is talented teams down south. If Port Isabel can make a run for the state finals it would add another team to throw at the critics that feel there is no talented players or teams in south Texas. Go PI,AP and West Oso make a great run in the playoffs.

Puppetmaster101
11-05-2002, 09:13 PM
LH.....LH......Is gonna get beat. Is gonna get beat!!!!!!OOOSSSSSHHHHH LOL

nfcfan
11-05-2002, 10:11 PM
Sweet... http://www.texaspowerratings.com/ playoff link has PI reaching the Semi's, more interesting they have Raymondville 1pt from reaching the Semis. Is the PI vs. Bishop meeting a sure thing? No fb games to watch this weekend might go see Bishop play though. :cool:

The fb site also has LosFresnos playing G-Portland in Area, that should be a very very good game. wink

Any other sites out there with possible playoff trees?

SintonFan
11-05-2002, 11:52 PM
nfcfan:
Port Isabel chances are better than previous years because they dont have to play in the div. I bracket, with teams like Sinton, Jasper, W.Point, Everman, Forney, but hey that's out of the Tarpons hands. :)

Yet, I would'nt mind them playing Sinton; in one of those i wonder how they stack up against these highly touted teams game. Well, they do have a common oppenent w/Sinton. Sinton beat the team by 25 while PI beat the same team by 31. Not to shabby. wink

GO TARPONS GO!You won't tell anyone about your conclusion, will you? http://images.bravenet.com/brpics/smilie/6_tongue.gif Shhhhh....
:D :D :D
jus havin some fun...

big daddy russ
11-06-2002, 12:10 AM
SintonFan_inAustin:
Region 4 is considered weak because of South texas to the valley. It has been considered slow and avg size with no talented players. Mathis and now sinton have shown that there is talented teams down south. If Port Isabel can make a run for the state finals it would add another team to throw at the critics that feel there is no talented players or teams in south Texas. Go PI,AP and West Oso make a great run in the playoffs.i was up in the press box at kyle field last year during the sinton/bridge city game and some of the other guys (coaches not included) were blown away by sinton's speed. one of the guys from bc even admitted after the game that he didn't think sinton stood much of a chance against the cardinals until he actually saw them play. the pirates hung like 30-someodd points on a quality R3 team and held the cards' high-powered offense scoreless. region IV has received a bad rap in the past because it typically has been the red-headed stepchild at the state level, but lately R4 has been doing well. i haven't seen pi, but tarpon fan in north texas seems to think highly of them and he seems to have a lot to compare them to. good luck, tarpons, or whomever makes it through the region. maybe we can get lucky wink and upend the kennedales, marlins and newtons of the world.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-06-2002, 12:54 AM
nfcfan:
Sweet... http://www.texaspowerratings.com/ playoff link has PI reaching the Semi's, more interesting they have Raymondville 1pt from reaching the Semis. Is the PI vs. Bishop meeting a sure thing? No fb games to watch this weekend might go see Bishop play though. :cool:

The fb site also has LosFresnos playing G-Portland in Area, that should be a very very good game. wink

Any other sites out there with possible playoff trees?Correction - www.texaspowerratings.com (http://www.texaspowerratings.com) has Raymondville only a 1 point underdog to Yoakum in the 3rd round. But y'know, that would be INCREDIBLY sweet having both of district 32-3A's teams in the State Quarterfinals. As far as RGV teams from ALL classifications go, it has never happened. Despite their record (currently 4-5) and their score vs. Port Isabel (45-14), Raymondville can be a very dangerous team. If teams take them lightly, they'll get burned.

SWTdawg
11-06-2002, 02:34 AM
I was at the Burnet vs Marlin game earlier in the year and my pick to win it all in division 2 this year would be Marlin. Marlin stuck it to #2 Burnet all night and Burnet just edged out a victory in overtime that could have gone either way. I don't see how any Div 2 teams can stop this Marlin team who for the most part stopped a powerhouse Burnet team.

Big Tarp 74
11-06-2002, 03:15 PM
I do not know how to compare Port Isabel to teams outside district 32, and 31-AAA. Port Isabel is not huge, or a power running team. This team is just very very fast.

I know, how do I define fast? Well let start with Misael Iracheta, he won the state class 3A 400 meter dash.

I heard that Joey Loera, Gabriel Alvarez, Frankie Herrera, Jose Arevalo, Josue Trejo, Yashuchi Hoshino, and Brother to Yashuchi Hoshino, all turn 4.5 to 4.6 40's.

C.J. Betancourt, and Philip Perez turn 4.6 to 4.7 40's.

Kevin Kallus, Erik Martinez, and Gabriel Alvarez all turn 4.7 to 4.8 40's.

Their are several others I am leaving out, but do know that they are also fast. I do not know how to match this against other teams, but they look pretty fast.

When you look at it, we have the following:

1 Player with 4.3 to 4.4 speed
7 Player with 4.5 to 4.6 speed
2 Player with 4.6 to 4.7 speed
3 Player with 4.7 to 4.8 speed

and some that I just dont know. You have a total of 13 player with speed ranging from 4.3 to 4.8. That is a fast team. Tell me if I wrong, that this is not fast, by your teams standards. I am not an expert, but do beleive that this is good speed.

bulldog94
11-06-2002, 03:58 PM
That is very fast. I would just like to know who was timing or if you are running 37 meters instead of 40. I can believe the 4.5 to 4.8 times, but I have a hard time believing the 4.3. I have seen some very, very fast people run a 40 out of blocks in spikes and they could not run a 4.3.

big daddy russ
11-06-2002, 04:08 PM
big tarp, that is very fast. i don't care what part of the state you're from, that's a fast team. i've heard some people talk about kids who run like 4.25's and stuff like that, but that's unheard of. my junior year at ingleside (1997) we had a guy who went to the state track meet in the 100 (placed fifth) and the 200 (placed second) and was the anchor on our 1600 relay team (placed second)... he ran a 4.3 forty. dabryon blanton ran a 4.3 forty. i believe you when you say that your boy ran a 4.3.... he won state. but if the tarpons really turn in those kinds of times, they're almost up there with sinton and everman, the two fastest teams i know of, speedwise, maybe even faster all around.

Big Tarp 74
11-06-2002, 05:58 PM
The only player with speed faster than a 4.5 40 is Misael Iracheta, he won the state 400 meter dash. Keep in mine that these times are done without football padding and equipment, but none the less they are fast. The reason most people did not here about them last year was most of them were just freshmen and a few were sophmores. These boys are fast when we watch them run, but they are also quick in avoiding people. For I forget, Johnny Neto, is also another one I missed. He is just as fast as Joey, execpt he is a little bit bigger. Kevin is a 240 pound tight end. He is big and has avg speed. He is in the 4.7's to 4.8 speed range.

You know early this year, I was very hard on this team. They had a bad game against PSJA Memorial. Many fans were down, because they saw a completely different team against Florisville. What ever the coach did, the team has not been the same. When they went to play Los Fresnos, I just knew we were going to get beat bad, but when Port Isabel began to play, Los Fresnos could not figure them out. Port Isabel had there defense running all over the field. They started to get tired. By the end of the game Los Fresnos, had given up 481 yards rushing and there defesnse was exhausted. Fans from Los Fresnos were just shocked at the speed. Los Fresnos is a school with over 1800 high school students compared to Port Isabel 624. We were just so glad that we were not just run out of the stadium, like everone else had been done. We loss that game 42 to 35, but it change the fans thinking, if Port Isabel could stay with this team, they could hang with about just anyone. The top 5A team in the Valley was just blown away by Los Fresnso, so for a little 3A school to hang in there with them was something. I wish Port Isabel the best. I know they do not show up on other districts Radar, but to us they have given us quite a show, and for that we are very thankful.

Big Tarp 74
11-06-2002, 06:08 PM
Misael Iracheta, is the only one I know that can turn these times, however, not with a football uniform on. With padding on, he is in the 4.4's as for the 37 meters or 40 not sure. To me the most explosive kid I have seen just flat light up the field is Gabriel Alvarez, I saw a good quick linebacker chase him, when all of a sudden he saw a hole open up, it looked like the linebacker was just standing there when he shot through this hole, and raced 45 yards, and a touchdown. I just knew he was going to be sacked. At the end of the game, I over heard the linebacker asking our coach how fast is Gabriel Alvarez. The coach just stated, fast enough. Another thing, as fans we get upset with the coaches listing their times slower. At the track meets, we see these times. I know that track speeds are different than speed times in uniforms. I do not know how to estimate their speeds in uniforms. It also get me that most the kids will not run track. Just a couple do. Misael Iracheta, and Frankie run track, the others do not. Why is beond me. I do not even know why Misael Iracheta plays football. He won the state 400 meter as a sophmore, and he is just a junior this year. I would think they would not want to have him get hurt. He has a great chance of a track schollership. Why get him hurt playing football. I guess that me.

bulldog94:
That is very fast. I would just like to know who was timing or if you are running 37 meters instead of 40. I can believe the 4.5 to 4.8 times, but I have a hard time believing the 4.3. I have seen some very, very fast people run a 40 out of blocks in spikes and they could not run a 4.3.

<small>[ November 06, 2002, 05:21 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-06-2002, 07:12 PM
Hey BigTarp, when I was down in Port Isabel for the Lyford game, I happened to sit next to Missle's dad.

His dad was telling me that Missle would rather have a football scholarship than a track scholarship.

And to Bulldog94, or whoever it was who made the 37 yard dash comment, these times are 40 yard dashes, and are very accurate including Iracheta's 4.3

(BigTarp - Gabe Alvarez is faster than the time you have listed for him)

Big Tarp 74
11-06-2002, 07:34 PM
What is his time, do you know? I thought his time was like Frankie.

<small>[ November 06, 2002, 06:35 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>

GOFOR2
11-06-2002, 08:26 PM
Great, Port Isabel is fast, but we will soon find out if they can play football in the playoffs against the big dogs. Speed isnt much if your O-line stinks. We will soon find out what all of the stink is about.

GOFOR2
11-06-2002, 08:44 PM
How fast are your coaches? Any 40s on them? How bout the trainers or managers? I we have some student trainers or managers in the Coastal Bend that can keep up with yours. :D

RiverRat19
11-06-2002, 08:51 PM
GOFOR2:
How fast are your coaches? Any 40s on them? How bout the trainers or managers? I we have some student trainers or managers in the Coastal Bend that can keep up with yours. :D I can vouch for that- I heard about the trainers, and had to go see them. I almost could not believe it- they are faaaaaaaaaaaaast! There are about 5-6 of them that just blow the doors of any other trainers in the region and probably state. :)

<small>[ November 06, 2002, 07:53 PM: Message edited by: RiverRat19 ]</small>

GOFOR2
11-06-2002, 09:00 PM
They must have had some of the hot chile that I had last week. Man when that stuff runs through you, it tends to make you run like the wind. Think I ran a 4.2 against the wind that day, but my bowels were trying to run faster. :D

TarponFanInNorthTexas
11-06-2002, 11:08 PM
Big Tarp 74:
What is his time, do you know? I thought his time was like Frankie.Lando Ochoa told me he runs more around upper 4.4.....around a 4.47 or 4.48.

And GOFOR2, you're a real funny guy ain't ya? Fast coach, fast trainers........HAH! What a riot....... :rolleyes:

Big Tarp 74
11-08-2002, 03:18 PM
You know, we were only talking about speed. As for who the big dog is, that still remains undecided. There alot of good teams, I am not putting any of them down. I noted that Port Isabel had speed, that all. This is a young ball club. I think for a young ball club to have played this well, that is good. I am real suprised, at your stance on things. Again, the valley teams get slamed. You make it sound like we do not have a offensive line at all. If that the case, how come we had 481 yards rushing, against the #1 valley team. The other comment made was we have no discipline. This team just got slamed for even being on the internet. The coaches, do not take any bull from anyone including parents. They make no execptions. It seem to me that this team was good enough to win it distict, and good enough to scare, some very good 4A schools, I guess they are good enough to represent their district dont you agree! As for what happens in the playoff, time will tell.

GOFOR2:
Great, Port Isabel is fast, but we will soon find out if they can play football in the playoffs against the big dogs. Speed isnt much if your O-line stinks. We will soon find out what all of the stink is about.

<small>[ November 08, 2002, 02:20 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>