PDA

View Full Version : A few things I think I think about this college season...

big daddy russ
10-13-2006, 12:29 AM
-Is there a more underrated team right now than West Virginia?...

-...There may be. And that team actually plays the Mountaineers on November 2. Oh, and Louisville's stud QB finally comes back next week.

-Is there a more overrated team right now than Georgia?...

-...Definitely, and it's not even close. If that team from Lincoln somehow wins nine or ten games and makes a second-tier bowl, I'm going to puke.

-Purdue: who exactly is their QB? Because Greg Orton and Curtis Painter have me as confused as Paris Hilton during a game of Cranium.

-I can't help but root for New Mexico State Head Coach Hal Mumme. You see, one of my best friends from HS married his niece (another Ingleside product) and I've had the chance to hang out with him once or twice. It's not like we're best friends or anything, and chances are he has no clue who I am other than some groomsman at Troy and Crystal's wedding, but he's one of the best, most down-to-Earth "mini-celebrities" I've met. On that note, NMSU has struggled to one of the most deceptive 2-3s record in the nation, and it may cost Mumme his job. Their two wins have been to Southeast Louisiana State and Texas Southern--not exactly a murderer's row--but his worst loss was by a mere eight points to Idaho, a pretty good team among the mid-majors (that just happens to be coached by ex-Miami Hurricane, Seattle Seahawk and SF 49er HC Dennis Erikson). He lost by a TD to both UTEP and New Mexico (both of which will probably wind up being bowl teams) and his QB leads the nation in passing. I could make some cheezy "I need my Mummy" joke here, but I'll take the high road and just say "this one's for you, Hal." If nothing else comes your way, A&M needs a coach. 'Cause they sure as hell don't have one now...

-...which leads me to my next topic, something I originally wasn't going to touch on, something that just seems like typical BS bulletin board material, but I've sat on this nugget waaay too long. One of my buddies back at A&M (well, he's an A&M grad) is buddies with a couple of the backups on the Aggie football team, so he hangs out with some of the guys from time to time... and they've all lost respect for Coach Fran. Yeah, it's third-hand info to you, so take it however you want, but these guys can't stand their coach. It's one thing to be losing your games, but it's another to be losing both your games and your team. Anyone who knows how I work knows that you'll never get a name out of this unless the situation blows up. Just know that I'd be VERY surprised if Fran's still there after '07. The only thing keeping him there this year is that big contract.

-The Big XII sucks this year. One team almost lost to Army, another did, a Big XII North "power school" lost to a IAA team, and the PAC-10's third-best team beat our second-best team.

-Garrett Wolfe is the best player in America. Period. Not Troy Smith, not Calvin Johnson, not James Davis, not Brandon Meriwether, not Ray Rice, not Erik Ainge, not Mario Manningham, not Kevin Kolb, not Marshawn Lynch, not Paul Posluszny, not LaRon Landry, not Dwayne Jarrett, and not this guy:

-Is Adrian Peterson the next Herschel Walker and Bo Jackson all rolled into one? Oh he's good, even great, but that's not what I'm talking about. You see, he's pretty darn good this year, but he's still not as good as he was his freshman year-- when he should've walked away with the Heisman. This year he may steal it from a more deserving player (see above) in what may turn out to merely be the second-best season of his collegiate career. (Bo stole it from Iowa's Chuck Long, Herschel from Stanford's John Elway, though Herschel's 5.3 ypc makes his a little easier to digest)

-Biggest breakouts: Ian Johnson, Chase Daniel, James Davis, Syvelle Newton, Erik Ainge, and Arkansas. Sure, Mario Manningham, Chad Henne, and Ainge's favorite target all deserve mention, but these five guys have been absolute studs. I mean, for real, who would've ever thought that Davis would actually be better WITHOUT Charlie Whitehurst in the backfield, that Daniel would be a better QB than a record-setter, that Ainge would break out of his sophomore slump this way, and that Newton would take a midseason change-of-position completely in stride... and turn out to be even more than the Ol' Ball Coach could've hoped for? Oh, and I thought Arkie would be competitive, but never dreamed they'd be where they are.

Bulldog_12
10-13-2006, 12:48 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
-Is there a more underrated team right now than West Virginia?

Dont you mean Louisville?:thinking:

big daddy russ
10-13-2006, 12:51 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
Dont you mean Louisville?:thinking:
Easier to understand now? I was going from one thought straight to the next... it was kinda hard to follow. Just saying that while WVU is underrated, a damn good Louisville squad is a complete afterthought.

Bulldog_12
10-13-2006, 12:53 AM
Easier to understand now? I was going from one thought straight to the next... it was kinda hard to follow. Just saying that while WVU is underrated, a damn good Louisville squad is a complete afterthought.

Good edit. I completely understand now. And I agree on Wolfe. That kid can run the ball.

LH Panther Mom
10-13-2006, 05:43 AM
If that team from Lincoln somehow wins nine or ten games and makes a second-tier bowl, I'm going to puke.
ROFL! Please don't share pictures. :p

3afan
10-13-2006, 05:53 AM
I don't see how a team rated top 5/4 in the nation (WV) can be called underrated :confused:

Hal Mumme - former coach of the Cove Bulldogs (before they became the Dawgs)

big daddy russ
10-13-2006, 10:54 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
I don't see how a team rated top 5/4 in the nation (WV) can be called underrated :confused:
They're the most underrated top-five I've seen in a long time. Not because of what all the experts believe, but because of what I've heard from friends and people on the Downlow.

KTJ
10-13-2006, 11:01 AM
They're the most underrated top-five I've seen in a long time. Not because of what all the experts believe, but because of what I've heard from friends and people on the Downlow.

Just because people on this website don't believe in them doesn't mean anything. I think the entire nation is still a bit skeptical about WVU and are just waiting for them to play someone so we can get a "yea or nay" on them. That matchup with Louisville will tell us a lot about both squads.

Folks in the AP poll are ranking them anwhere between #1 to #12. Their prelim BCS ranking, last week, was 12th, not 2nd. It will be interesting to see how it pans out. I've always had them in my top 5.

big daddy russ
10-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
Just because people on this website don't believe in them doesn't mean anything. I think the entire nation is still a bit skeptical about WVU and are just waiting for them to play someone so we can get a "yea or nay" on them. That matchup with Louisville will tell us a lot about both squads.
Even though it'll tell us about both squads, I still think everyone will be skeptical no matter who wins.

If it's a tight game:
-and WVU wins, everyone will say they couldn't put away a patsy.
-and Louisville wins, everyone will say that the Mountaineers were overrated the whole time and even though they're a good team, Tech, A&M, and Nebraska should be ranked ahead of them simply because they play in the Big East.

If it's a blowout one way or the other:
-this is WVU's only shot at getting a little respectability.
-Louisville will still be vastly underrtated.

That's what I'm seeing. While this will be a landmark game between two premier teams, there's such a stigma around the Big East right now that it's almost a lose-lose situation. If they play it close, it'll still be the "Big Least" because two overrated teams played. If it's a blowout, it'll be called a one-horse show.

WestTXLonghorn
10-13-2006, 11:22 AM
Who would've thought that a redshirt freshman starting in his very first games for the Longhorns would be the 7th rated passer in all of college football?

The main thing I've noticed is how sucky this year is compared to last year in college football. Other than the "closeness" of the teams, there is nothing better about this year than last. Last year we had dominant football teams that got it done week in and week out and looked bored doing it. Last year's Heisman hopefuls actually were worthy of the award compared to the "poor man's" replacement this year (i.e. Troy Smith compared to Vince, Wolfe/Peterson compared to Reggie Bush, etc.).

Last year we had a great bowl season with some really exciting games, all of which culminated with one of the greatest college football games of all time. I don't think we can expect to see that this year. Even Ohio State who people think is the clear cut #1 wouldn't be able to hold the jock strap of the two teams in the title game from a year ago. Very mediocre football this year across the nation. And while it does tend to lend some excitement because you might see some big-time team get knocked off every week, it just makes everything this year seem so second-rate to the greatness of a year ago.

SintonFan
10-13-2006, 11:42 AM
I do think that "closeness" of teams this year just might translate into great bowl games too, WestTXLonghorn.
While West Virginia might be underrated, I have a hard time getting excited about watching them.:( Well, I've had a hard time getting all that excited about watching any team this year compared to last year. Last season just had that whole "magical feel" to it.:cool:

g$$
10-13-2006, 12:44 PM
It's parity across the board, much like the NFL is now. Very few dominant teams. I believe in WVU, & in the end I think they will play Ohio State. Garrett Wolfe is the real deal & can catch the ball out of the backfield too. He'll play on Sundays.

Hal Mumme is a good coach, really took the spread to a new level. Mike Leach coached with him at Valdosta State, on to Kentucky, etc. What has hurt Mumme is some off the field stuff & trouble with the NCAA. He spoke to the coaches 3 years ago in CS at the 7-on-7 & he was impressive, very well-liked. Charlie Weiss spoke the next year. I did not attend last summer. Good thoughts on the NCAA season Russ.

Last season had that feel because of the 2 big dogs USC & Texas. And since many on here are Horn fans, that makes sense. If Texas had beaten Ohio St., then the buzz would probably be there for you. I think there will be lots of good games down the stretch & then an exciting bowl season.

SintonFan
10-13-2006, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by g$$

Last season had that feel because of the 2 big dogs USC & Texas. And since many on here are Horn fans, that makes sense. If Texas had beaten Ohio St., then the buzz would probably be there for you. I think there will be lots of good games down the stretch & then an exciting bowl season.
I'm not a "Texas fan" per se, with USC almost assured of the title by the experts;) , us from Texas had alot more to look forward to. The Ohio state loss did dampen seasonal expectation some but I follow all Texas scruels. Maybe it's just this season almost feel's like the day after Christmas.:thinking:

g$$
10-13-2006, 01:02 PM
Believe it or not, this Aggie grad rooted for Texas against USC (plus I have family at Texas). I was tired of the "USC best of all time" junk by ESPN, etc. & wanted to show the nation that Texas produces the best hs football players. It was tough, but I did it. And it was arguably the greatest college football game of all time!

KTJ
10-13-2006, 02:11 PM
The thing that is going to hurt WVU is some of the polls that make up the BCS don't like them very well. They will love the SOS of Florida and USC, even if Florida and USC have 1 loss.

I still think a 1-loss Florida, Auburn, or USC will stay ahead of a 1-loss Texas in the computer polls. Their SOS is better than UT's.

But it's still early. The first BCS standings, which really don't mean crap, come out on Sunday.

g$$
10-14-2006, 12:22 PM
I would add WR Desean Jackson from Cal to that list of best players. He is an animal & Cal has hit their stride. Upset of USC again? I hope so Nov. 18th.