PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on this week's Divison II Matchups

Matthew328
11-24-2002, 10:42 PM
Sweetwater-Decatur: 2 high powered offenses going at it...can the Eagles slow down Carillo?? Can Sweetwater contain Decatur's no huddle spread?? How healthy will Decatur sophmore QB Chandler Dane be?? I think Sweetwater gets a break-through win this week over a very good Decatur squad...Sweetwater by 7

Midland Greenwood-Ballinger: Ballinger pulled probably the state's biggest surprise when they beat Kennedale last week..however Kennedale rolled up huge yardage...fumbles just killed KHS..Antonio Posey was huge for Ballinger as he had 178..he'll need another big day against a tough Ranger D..Greenwood continues to just win...can Greenwood make it 13 in a row?? I think so..Greenwood by 10

Daingerfield-Rusk: Daingerfield ended Celina's streak but it wasn't easy...Jermaine Mitchell had a big day rushing for 154 yards...the Tigers Defense will have their hands full with a Rusk offense that averages 48.5 points in their 2 playoff outings...I think Daingerfield is on a roll and they will wear the Eagles out on the ground and they'll get enough pressure on the Rusk QB to slow down the Eagles..Daingerfield by 14

New Boston-Spring Hill: a battle of 2 great backs...NB's Cedric Dorsey who's huge run late helped set up NB's game winning TD..anyone that can run for 183 yards on the Commerce D is a good back...SH's JaMario Thomas didn't play last week against Crandall...look for him to go this week because New Boston is a much tougher opponent than Crandall...I like New Boston to continue thier magical run..New Boston by 11

Fairfield-Bellville: talk about magical runs..Fairfield was 0-10 last year and now the Eagles are 11-1....wow...Bellville has won 23 of their last 25 games..the Brahmas had a struggle with Liberty last week though..Fairfield has been doing it all year with..but can they slow down Bellville?? I think they can..but I don't think they have enough offense to win..Bellville wins a low scoring game by 6

Marlin-LaGrange: wow what a matchup here...Marlin won a war with Newton last week..this week they tackle a LaGrange team that eliminated them in the semis in 2000..LaGrange is on a big time roll as they have won 11 straight..can the Leps control Tank Smith and Thad Freeman and can their offense do it against a tough Bulldog D that slowed down the vaunted Ennis offense earlier in the year?? I think Marlin wins a barn-burner..Marlin by 2

CC West Oso-Yoakum: West Oso has really benefitted from a weak side of the bracket but that changes this week as they take on a tough squad from Yoakum who handed LaGrange thier only loss of the year..the Bulldogs I think have a bit too much at the skill spots for W Oso to handle..Yoakum by 16

Bandera-Pt Isabel: PI continues to impress as they earned a tough win over Aransass Pass..Bandera and QB Brett Hicks continue their assault on secondaries as they ripped apart a good Rice D..however can Bandera slow down a speedy PI squad?? Look for a TON of points in this one...I think Bandera pulls one out late..Bandera by 4

Pudlugger
11-26-2002, 10:10 AM
I understand why you would give the edge to Marlin based on their record against several ranked opponents including Ennis. However, you still have La Grange ranked ahead of Marlin so I guess you are yet to update that, right?
This will be another exciting match and is going to be close. I'll take the Leopards. Good luck, Go Leps!!! :)

Chief Woodman
11-26-2002, 11:14 AM
I think you may be wrong about Decatur/Sweetwater. Carillo is good, but not unstopable. (They have lost this season even if only to good teams). The question is framed well in that all Decatur has to do is slow him down, not stop him. Carillo is not the only weapon, but they seem to be too one dimensional (Run Run more Run. Decatur has enough talent and enough balance on offence to avoid being completely shut down by most teams. When they have failed to perform on offence thus far, it is mostly due to self errors such as wrong routes or dropped passes. As for Dane his status is questionable, but his back up is good enough to start on most 3A teams. With the talent he has around him (Great O-line, great recievers and backs)Mr Alfred Marillo will do just fine. I expect the game to be close through 3 quarters with Decatur pulling away in the fourth quarter and win by 10.

Old Cardinal
11-26-2002, 11:39 AM
Matt, a well thought out analogy. I have said all along that the winner of the Newton/Marlin game will take home the marbles. I have to say at this point that La Grange have really stepped it up a lot. If LaGrange could beat this Elgin team 13-10 they are potent. I just don't see Bellville going far, Elgin whipped them handily and even Liberty played them close. I have to say that Marlin/La Grange should be a great game. An interception here, or a turnover there, could well determine the Division II winner.

SintonFan_inAustin
11-26-2002, 11:49 AM
Old Card dont overlook Port Isabel just yet, they resemble the pirates on offense and they are determined to show that the valley can play some ball too. :D :D

KL3
11-26-2002, 11:57 AM
Old Card, Bellville lost to Elgin 24-17, and that was at Elgin. Hardly a whooping. "I just don't see Bellville going far." What do you call regional semifinals? An early exit? As far as the Liberty game, Bellville outgained them 395 to 280 I believe. Everyone can keep doubting Bellville, we'll just have to shut em up.

FormerBellvilleBrahma
11-26-2002, 04:00 PM
You can say that again KL3, Bellville had a bad game against Elgin and lost by 7 points, I guess Old Card thinks that is a ass kicking. Yes Bellville has not played up to par the first 2 playoff games, and I hope they have that out of there system, If so look out because Bellville has the team that can win it all!!!!
Go Bellville show them you can win it all!!!!

bigcat8
11-26-2002, 04:11 PM
Quit making excuses. Elgin's defense shut down Bellville. Bellville finally scored two td's in the 4th quarter. Bellville has a good football team.I think they will handle fairfield. Bridge City also has a good football team. But Jasper will end their season. They can't match up athletically. I don't know if anyone other than Everman can.

Big Tarp 74
11-26-2002, 05:18 PM
When it get to this level, anything can happen. The problem is, most of these teams, have not played anyone in common, so it is hard to know. As for Port Isabel, they will play who ever hard. This team has being over look a lot. They can put up a good fight on any given friday. I think they will give Bandera real trouble. They are fast, and they will hit people, make no mistake. PI line took Tommy Blake best shots, and with stood them. I dont know about you, but this team has had a hard season, with big schools, weak in and weak out. Aransas Pass was unable to wear them complete down, and they were huge plus they had speed. Aransas Pass was having just as much trouble stoping our quick backs as well. Many times they were just an arm tackles away from breaking it. PI linebackers punished Tommy Blake all game lone. These boys will hit with their engines wide open. I have also noticed that teams are still thing PI will only run, they will do both. Aransas Pass found that out quick. Our receivers are some of the fastest in the entire state, and our running backs, are just as quick. The following is what PI had to face in Aransas Pass.

big daddy russ
Varsity
Member # 1096

Rate Member posted November 23, 2002 03:41 AM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Like I said, the Panthers aren't small by any means...

Starting offensive line:
OT: Josh Cavallin 6'4" 295
TJ Sanchez 5'9" 275
OG: Albert Wagner 6' 225
Jason Torres 5'11" 225
C: Tony Byrnes 6'3" 270

Backups:
Brian Clark 6'1" 275
Andrew Byrnes 6' 270
Reuben Davila 5'10" 220 (word is that he runs a 4.9)
Paul Martinez 6'1" 225

Defensive Line:
DE: Polito Palma 5'10" 205
Paul Martinez 6'1" 225
DT: Reuben Davila 5'10" 220

Backups:
Chris Paez 6'1" 295
Andrew Byrnes 6' 270
Brian Clark 6'1" 275

Add 6'4" 225-pound running back Tommy Blake, 6'2" 200-pound quarterback John David Heard and 6'3" 205 tight end Robert Scheibe to a line that averages about 6'1" 258 and that offense is pretty darned big for a R4 team. They gave us a good year.

Region 4:

DI - Sinton -vs- Burnet ( Sinton by 12 )
DII - Port Isabel -vs- Bandera ( Port Isabel by 7 )

DII - Yoakum -vs- Wes Oso ( Yoakum by 16 )

<small>[ November 26, 2002, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Big Tarp 74 ]</small>