PDA

View Full Version : Jasper's offense.

Jason1725
10-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Can Jasper rake up more than 4-first downs this week against Bridge city?

By the numbers

Orangefield 33 JASPER 7
Orangefield 7 6 13 7 - 33
JASPER 0 0 7 0 - 7

First downs 4 13
Rushes/Yards 33/165 49/161
Passing Yards 10 78
Total Yards 175 239
Passes: Comp/Att/Int 1-6-0 6-11-0
Penalties/Yards 5-55 5-30
Fumbles/Lost 3-1 1-1
Punts/Yards/Avg. 4/135-33.7 3/98-32.6
Return Yards 67 12

setxsports
10-12-2006, 10:38 AM
Hard to figure them out this year? They are young though 2 Freshmen play on Varsity.

Pudlugger
10-12-2006, 11:14 AM
I wonder if what we're seeing in Jasper is a result of folks with young children having moved away after the terrible event 7 years ago. Unfortunately Jasper is a good community that was damaged in the media for the heinous actions of three criminals. Parents with young children might not have wanted to take a chance on stigmatizing them (college admissions, career difficulties etc.). Folks with older children probably would not be as likely to take them away from friends and a school system they were comfortable in. I'm by no means suggesting this is right or that Jasper is not a good community. The enrollment numbers dropped in the 2002 UIL realignment.

tigerdad
10-12-2006, 12:39 PM
man what happened to jasper this year ????

j_dog
10-12-2006, 12:46 PM
I think there is not one thing to do with the terrible event. It is as simple as, saw mills and factories close, jobs are lost. Working folks have to go where the jobs are.

Besides, Jasper's school numbers are not all that radically different than when they were successful in 4a. They have over 800 students in high school now, and I don't think they EVER had over 1,000 students while in 4a. The range usually was in the low 900's to high 800's. The biggest thing putting Jasper in 3a was the raising of the upper limit for 3a.

So, I see no connection to the "event". One can argue coaching, etc till the cows come home, but still major things affecting Jasper this year are:

1. Most of the players in the so-called "skill positions" are sophmores and freshmen.

2. They have had several injuries to the upper-classmen.

3. For the past two weeks, they have been without one of their best DB's because of grades.

None of this means that the Dogs are without talent. They may still catch fire this year. If not, then I think they will be a definite force to be reckoned with next year. :)

j_dog
10-12-2006, 12:49 PM
Originally posted by **********
Hard to figure them out this year? They are young though 2 Freshmen play on Varsity.
Speaking of freshmen, Friday night they brought up another freshman. Put him in at RB, and he ran over 50 yds for a TD, breaking tackles all the way (at least that is what the radio announcers said. :D )

Hupernikomen
10-12-2006, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I wonder if what we're seeing in Jasper is a result of folks with young children having moved away after the terrible event 7 years ago. Unfortunately Jasper is a good community that was damaged in the media for the heinous actions of three criminals. Parents with young children might not have wanted to take a chance on stigmatizing them (college admissions, career difficulties etc.). Folks with older children probably would not be as likely to take them away from friends and a school system they were comfortable in. I'm by no means suggesting this is right or that Jasper is not a good community. The enrollment numbers dropped in the 2002 UIL realignment.

Enrollment numbers have dropped for most all of SE Texas. When is the last time a SE Texas team went up in classification?
I can't think of any. However I can name many that have dropped classifications including Jasper.

As far as what happened 7 years ago, I don't think it had any adverse affect on the football team. Keep in mind that the 4 year span counting the last year that Jasper was in 4A through 2 season ago was the most successful run ever for the Bulldogs. That was after the sad event on 7 years ago. I remember seeing many familiar Jasper names the last few years that have been on jerseys for a long time...

KATS
10-12-2006, 01:35 PM
Don't forget their best athlete is now playing in Diboll.

Pudlugger
10-12-2006, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by j_dog
I think there is not one thing to do with the terrible event. It is as simple as, saw mills and factories close, jobs are lost. Working folks have to go where the jobs are.

Besides, Jasper's school numbers are not all that radically different than when they were successful in 4a. They have over 800 students in high school now, and I don't think they EVER had over 1,000 students while in 4a. The range usually was in the low 900's to high 800's. The biggest thing putting Jasper in 3a was the raising of the upper limit for 3a.

So, I see no connection to the "event". One can argue coaching, etc till the cows come home, but still major things affecting Jasper this year are:

1. Most of the players in the so-called "skill positions" are sophmores and freshmen.

2. They have had several injuries to the upper-classmen.

3. For the past two weeks, they have been without one of their best DB's because of grades.

None of this means that the Dogs are without talent. They may still catch fire this year. If not, then I think they will be a definite force to be reckoned with next year. :)

Thanks J-dog, it's good to know that the young 'uns are there to carry on tradition. I'm sure the Bulldogs will bounce back. La Grange had a little dry spell in 2004, got better in 2005 with new coaching and now are 5-0 in 2006. Good luck!:)

HPLJ6L
10-12-2006, 02:54 PM
When you have success, things will happen. You also have to consider the caliber of coaches who have left the program for bigger and better.
Last year Coach Sargent won the coach of the year. Led Hempstead to the playoffs first time in forever. How do you replace a guy like that?

kepdawg
10-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Jasper's offense has been quite offensive this season! :(

spiveyrat
10-13-2006, 07:19 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
Jasper's offense has been quite offensive this season! :(

Ain't that the truth! :eek:

cowboyfan8
10-13-2006, 08:53 AM
Why does everybody always want to blame the coaches when things aren't going good? We don't blame you for doing your job. Coaches are ther for the sake of young people, we could care less what people say about us in the stands. Before blaming the coach, why don't we take a look at little Johnny, Sammy, and Joey out there on the field that can't run, catch, tackle, or throw, or think and rethink why we blame the coach.

Jason1725
10-13-2006, 09:35 AM
I must have missed something, who blamed the coaches?

JasperDog94
10-13-2006, 12:38 PM
I think some people are wanting the coaches to change the scheme we run because of our lack of depth at skill positions. Jasper only completed 1 pass last week and we run the spread? Not good. Even if you run out of the spread, you have to be able to pass a little to keep defenses honest.

Hupernikomen
10-13-2006, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by cowboyfan8
Why does everybody always want to blame the coaches when things aren't going good? We don't blame you for doing your job. Coaches are ther for the sake of young people, we could care less what people say about us in the stands. Before blaming the coach, why don't we take a look at little Johnny, Sammy, and Joey out there on the field that can't run, catch, tackle, or throw, or think and rethink why we blame the coach.

Kind of jumping the gun there cowboyfan. Only person even mentioned a Jasper coach was praising him for how good he was when in Jasper. Nobody on here badmouthing Jasper coaches. Tough job when you are winning and even tougher when you aren't. They will get the Dogs back to where they should be, if not this year, next year.

Hupernikomen
10-13-2006, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think some people are wanting the coaches to change the scheme we run because of our lack of depth at skill positions. Jasper only completed 1 pass last week and we run the spread? Not good. Even if you run out of the spread, you have to be able to pass a little to keep defenses honest.

No kidding..the offense just isn't working for the Dogs this year.

Jason1725
10-13-2006, 03:08 PM
This offense no longer works, they can't pass the ball so defenders just crowd the line and then there is no place to run. I think a change would be good thats for sure.