PDA

View Full Version : State Champs

Eagle 00
06-26-2002, 08:13 PM
Thought it would be interesting to have people on the board predict who will win the State Championship in Div I & II. We can then tally the entries and predict who is right. Do not complain about who people pick. Picking the long shot has been known to win a lot of money. I just thought it would be interesting which schools will pop up and we will all know who was right in December.

Chris Hart
06-26-2002, 11:31 PM
Division 1 Region 1 Everman Bulldogs,
Region 2 Forney Jack Rabbits
Region 3 Jasper Bulldogs
Region 4 Burnet Bulldogs
Final Everman vs. Burnet
Winner Everman
Division 2
Region 1 Kennedale Wildcats
Region 2 Spring Hill Panthers
Region 3 Newton Eagles
Region 4 Yoakum Bulldogs
Final Spring Hill vs. Yoakum
Winner Yoakum

Go Burnet Bulldogs!

Gobbla2001
06-27-2002, 12:00 AM
I believe Yoakum will do good, but their defense is lacking, BAD, as well as depth in skill-positions... I think D2 belongs to whoever can stop Bandera, or just Bandera!

Eagle 00
06-27-2002, 12:33 AM
Go out on a limb, and pick who you think will win it all

duckbutter
06-27-2002, 09:24 AM
In div. 1 I will have to pick Jasper, because I don't think anyone can out score them, and I will pick Marlin for Div 2 champs on just a hunch.

sinton66
06-27-2002, 10:31 AM
How much did Jasper score last year? Sinton and Everman BOTH scored over 550 points last year. 39 points against each other in the div.1 final. These are at least two teams that can score. I'm sure there are others. Jasper isn't going to get a "free ride". Personally, I would love to see a rematch. IF it happens, look for Sinton to prevail. Mathis will make another run in div.2, but there are a lot of others that can make it farther.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 27, 2002).]

SintonFan_inAustin
06-27-2002, 07:41 PM
Div. 1
Sinton will rebound and win state titles next year in football and baseball. Basketball well, they have won it before.

Div. 2
Bandera they have a real good team and they will beat mathis for region and win it all.

eye of the tiger
06-27-2002, 08:17 PM
Could be the year of the Rabbit.

Forney in Div I---a more balanced attack this year will win it all for the Jackrabbits.

Atlanta in Div II--Rabbits are going to be alot tougher than people think.

bd62
06-27-2002, 10:31 PM
i think yoakum will do very well but winning state may be a stretch.i dont know where gobbla gets this bad on defense. yoakum stress defense and have 5 full time starters back plus 2 other kids that start several games due to injuries. there j.v. and freshmen teams were undefeated and there will be a lot of help from those teams.
d-1 sinton-everman. sinton takes them this time
d-2- anyones guess. no clear standouts. lagrange,newton,commerce,dangerfield have the tradition to do it.

SintonFan
06-27-2002, 11:06 PM
In div. 1, Everman (unfortunately), their defense is what makes this team great.
In div. 2, Bandera or Bellville (these guys are good and have been div. 1 the last couple of years)
Lets ask this question again the week before the season starts.

[This message has been edited by SintonFan (edited June 27, 2002).]

j_dog
06-27-2002, 11:15 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by sinton66:
[B]How much did Jasper score last year? Sinton and Everman BOTH scored over 550 points last year. 39 points against each other in the div.1 final.

Glad you asked. Jasper scored 551 points last year against one 3a team (Newton), one 5a school, Beaumont Central, and 12 4a teams. I can't prove it, but I suspect the overall level of competition Jasper played was much tougher than any of the teams that you mentioned. For example, Jasper scored 56 points against 5a Beaumont Central. I think it was only the week before that Lufkin, who turned out to be the 5a Div II state champion, scored only 17 points against Central. And Jasper scored 42 points against West Orange-Stark, who in 2000 made it all the way to the Div II 4a finals and was in the 4a top 10 starting 2001. Yes, Jasper can score in bunches, and against top level teams.

Gobbla2001
06-27-2002, 11:47 PM
Where I get the defensive 'opinion' from is from myself, because it's 'my' opinion... I'm not saying they're not gunna be good, but the 6 defenders you lost were your best ones, in 'my' opinion...

Now, what you have coming up? I dunno, but your coach doesn't even seem confident about it...

Now, Yoakum's offense, that's another story... They'll be pretty salty!!!

Gobbla2001
06-27-2002, 11:50 PM
My IQ just dropped by reading j_dog's post... A bit of it was a pretty good arguement for Jasper being the state champs in 3A D1... But the other stuff, all that I can remember is someone played someone who got beat by someone and only scored this ammount of points on that someone who beat someone that got beat by Jasper... Tell me when that matters!

PS: Is the Jasper offense that scored these points on the 5A team that only allowed 17 to the future champs (Lufkin) returning EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that put up those points? And did they score 42 on the SAME WOS team that went state, with ALL of the players that started that 2000 season on the 2001 team?

Now, you guys got beat by Bay City in last year's playoffs, correct? Now, I'm almost positive that if I felt like doing the research that I can find some 2A team that beat a top 3A team that only allowed 17 points against the team that only allowed 17 points against Bay City or some crap like that...

Hey, didn't 3A LA GRANGE beat Bay City in 2001? Or did they lose it like 28-21(I forget, sorry)? If your theory works, La Grange didn't even win state, and they beat or gave the team that beat YOU GUYS a hard time...

Hmmmm...

Come up with something better than that...

[This message has been edited by Gobbla2001 (edited June 27, 2002).]

Gobbla2001
06-28-2002, 12:03 AM
Oh, and bd62, just so you do not think that I'm just hating on Yoakum because they're Cuero's rival, I'm really not sure about Cuero's defense either, most of them are too young and too unexperienced... But one thing is for certain, if any of our defenses are going to stop Joseph Gonzales of Gonzales, they better be REAL damn good...

Jacket2000
06-28-2002, 12:06 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001:
My IQ just dropped by reading j_dog's post... A bit of it was a pretty good arguement for Jasper being the state champs in 3A D1... But the other stuff, all that I can remember is someone played someone who got beat by someone and only scored this ammount of points on that someone who beat someone that got beat by Jasper... Tell me when that matters!

PS: Is the Jasper offense that scored these points on the 5A team that only allowed 17 to the future champs (Lufkin) returning EVERY SINGLE PLAYER that put up those points? And did they score 42 on the SAME WOS team that went state, with ALL of the players that started that 2000 season on the 2001 team?

Now, you guys got beat by Bay City in last year's playoffs, correct? Now, I'm almost positive that if I felt like doing the research that I can find some 2A team that beat a top 3A team that only allowed 17 points against the team that only allowed 17 points against Bay City or some crap like that...

Hey, didn't 3A LA GRANGE beat Bay City in 2001? Or did they lose it like 28-21(I forget, sorry)? If your theory works, La Grange didn't even win state, and they beat or gave the team that beat YOU GUYS a hard time...

Hmmmm...

Come up with something better than that...

[This message has been edited by Gobbla2001 (edited June 27, 2002).]
Very close. La Grange lost to Bay City in '00 and 01'. It was 28-7 in 2000(the year both teams won state) and 9-0 this year. Oh, and I agree. Jasper will not win a state championship in 2002. They will definately make some noise, but they will not win it all. My picks are Everman(D1) and Daingerfield(D2).
J2K

[This message has been edited by Jacket2000 (edited June 28, 2002).]

duckbutter
06-28-2002, 09:23 AM
I just want to see Jasper and Everman play!

sinton66
06-28-2002, 10:21 AM
How about Jasper and Sinton? I really would rather see a rematch of Everman and Sinton though. I believe Sinton was actually very close to passing 600 points last year. I forget the exact total. I know for a fact they had the best points for/ points against ratio in all of 3A last year going into the final with Everman, and Everman was trailing right behind them on that ratio. I would expect both of them to be able to repeat that to some extent this year. Jasper fans, we're not trying to rag you, we're just saying the big boys in 3A aren't pushovers. They WON'T be scared to play with ya!

Bulldog92
06-28-2002, 10:29 AM
Man, Gobbla. Those were pretty harsh words for j_dog. He knows his stuff, as I'm sure you do, and no one would lose IQ points by reading what either of you have to say. We can all agree that last year is old news and how Jasper and La Grange came out against a very talented Bay City squad doesn't mean squat right now.
The Dogs have a ton of guys coming back on both sides of the ball and they will need more consistency on defense to even get a sniff at a state title. There's two different schools of thought on that. Either the experience will make them better or they will be as vulnerable as Forest Brook and Bay City made them look last year. They can and will score in bunches, though, and will jump on teams early and often. Defense wins championships and will most certainly dictate the tempo for Jasper this year. Hopefully, they can step up.

Gobbla2001
06-28-2002, 11:06 AM
Well Bulldog92, I know that last year's Bay City stuff really has no meaning this season, but if that were j_dog's arguement (last year's results against so and so who played so and so), it was my job to show how 'pointless' the arguement was by providing information on how a 3A team did better against a team that I can safely say 'blew out' Jasper...

Bulldog92
06-28-2002, 11:50 AM
I have to admit that I expected a lot better performance from the Dogs than they gave against Bay City...just like anyone else from Jasper would. It felt like they didn't have anything left after hanging on for dear life against Forest Brook after blitzing them 37-0 in the first quarter. Hey...what ever happened to Robert Strait? That guy was amazing....

Gobbla2001
06-28-2002, 11:53 AM
He's now a lesson for Cuero athletetes going into the college level... LEAVE DRUGS ALONE!...

He set some records at Baylor for the season and a half he played there, then he got caught up in drugs and POOF, gone!...

I heard that a couple of years ago he was finishing out his scholorship at Baylor... He'd be in the NFL right now doing Emmit Smith stuff!!!

Bulldog92
06-28-2002, 12:31 PM
I think he played a season at Baylor with Ben Bronson, who is considered the best QB Jasper has ever had by a lot of people....or with Curtis Hafford and Michael McFarland (other Jasper guys) when they were at Baylor. It's amazing how people with that much God-given talent can succumb to drugs and crime and throw it all away. Strait could have been one of the best ever had he kept his head on straight (no pun intended). What a shame....

spirate_9
06-28-2002, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by sinton66:
How much did Jasper score last year? Sinton and Everman BOTH scored over 550 points last year. 39 points against each other in the div.1 final. These are at least two teams that can score. I'm sure there are others. Jasper isn't going to get a "free ride". Personally, I would love to see a rematch. IF it happens, look for Sinton to prevail. Mathis will make another run in div.2, but there are a lot of others that can make it farther.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 27, 2002).]

Sinton's offense scored a total of 651 points in 15 games ( 43.4 points per game). Sinton's defense held opponents to a total of 122 points ( 8.1 points per game).

bd62
06-28-2002, 10:41 PM
i respect your opinion gobbla. you know a lot about h.s. football in this area.you are right about the 6 starters on defense that yoakum lost were good and will be hard to replace.yoakum has a lot of talent in soph. and junior classes but they will have to really step up to replace those guys. talking to the coaches they feel that the defense has the potential to be better than last year.if that happens we will be ok.

SintonFan
06-29-2002, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by spirate_9:

Sinton's offense scored a total of 651 points in 15 games ( 43.4 points per game). Sinton's defense held opponents to a total of 122 points ( 8.1 points per game).

spirate_9, it's good to have someone aboard with alot of hometown knowledge and support. I'll personally say "Welcome". But beware, (whispering) if any more people from Sinton post here, they'd have to change the name to SintonDownlow (whispering). LOL...
just having some fun...

sinfan75
06-29-2002, 03:41 PM
Everman-Division1
Commerce-Division 2
But if Sinton gets their offensive line rebuilt watch out.

M.PIRATEFAN
06-29-2002, 04:35 PM
sinton Division 1
mathis Division 2
This will be the year of surprises!!!!!!!

SintonFan
06-29-2002, 05:06 PM
sinfan75, what's up? Haven't seen you around here much...

sinfan75
06-30-2002, 02:27 AM
Been readin mor than postin but still around.Now I LAY ME DOWN TO SLEEP!!!!

footballgal
06-30-2002, 10:12 AM
Originally posted by M.PIRATEFAN:
sinton Division 1
mathis Division 2
This will be the year of surprises!!!!!!!

I agree with you, and you're right region IV will be the toughest in the state. Division II I have a different winner -or at least make things VERY interesting.. Port Isabel Tarpons are back on their playoff ways again, if not this year definitely the next year! Tarpons will have great speed on both sides of the ball, with a state track champ on the off. line. Not to mention the “Seawall defense” is back, just ask the Yoakum Bulldogs who played them in the playoffs last season and won it in squeaker with a young PI team that showed a lot of composure.

[This message has been edited by footballgal (edited July 01, 2002).]

j_dog
07-03-2002, 01:48 PM
Gobbla, sorry about your IQ. I love this board and the good job the administrators are doing, but I see I will have to be careful what I post from now on. But on the bright side, if the old IQ goes low enough, they can’t execute you now. I just threw those comparisons out to see who would jump on them. You made my point very well. Comparing scores and point totals don’t mean squat. Yet, I have seen so very much of that on this board. Check the archives. Back in April, some of you guys did a pretty good job trashing Jasper AND Div III in general by selectively comparing scores. Hey, fair is fair. If you are going to use some of the scores and comparisons, use them all.

For example, in April it was pointed out that Waller was a “weak” team, struggled with 3a Diboll. There was no mention that Waller apparently played pretty well against the Bay City team that you mentioned. Only lost to them by 18-28. Ten points is almost as close as the nine you rhapsodized about. Yet Jasper varsity beat Waller by 61-2, 68-23 after counting the trash points after the Jasper reserves went in. Oh, neither was it mentioned that the week after being physically whipped by Jasper (per interview later with the WO-S coach, WO-S came within 3 points of that same Bay City team, 14-17. Yes, Jasper gave up 48 points to Beaumont Ozen. Jasper scored 49 points to win district. Consequences: the Ozen coach was “reassigned” and Ozen hired the Jasper coach to replace him. It appears that to Ozen administration winning the game was what mattered, not stats. No, all this point talk, and comparisons don’t mean squat. Thank you for making the point so eloquently for me, for Old Cardinal and for all Region III fans.

Sinton fans, Everman fans, and whomever, Jasper fans don’t think 3a is going to be a pushover and I certainly don’t think Jasper players think so. We don’t for a minute think anyone is going to faint dead away when they see Jasper’s Dallas Cowboy size lines. (Sorry, just had to throw in the WO-S announcer’s description). We have to prove it on the playing field. And that is where the fun will be. Actually, it is looking like 3a is going to have some good match-ups. If Jasper is fortunate enough to get out of district, I am hoping for a region III match-up with Bridge City. If Jasper can get by that challenge, yes, I am hoping for a meeting with Sinton. I know people who have friends associated with your program and I hear that it is a very good program. And then, if Jasper can get by Sinton, maybe I will get to see my dream match, Jasper vs. Everman. Duckbutter, I could not agree more. Teams can and will score points on Jasper, but scoring MORE points than Jasper proved to be very difficult for all teams last year except for Bay City. And yes, most of the players responsible for that offensive production are returning. All the backfield, most of the offensive line (especially the guy widely recognized as the best OL in Texas for all classes), and at least one of the receivers.

For Div II, it may be a long shot, but I have to pull for Newton to make it all the way.

Good luck to everyone’s team. It should be an interesting season.

dab
07-05-2002, 03:15 PM
Division I
Region 1--Everman
Region 2--Forney
Region 3--Jasper
Region 4--Sinton

Division II
Region 1--Bridgeport
Region 2--Commerce
Region 3--LaGrange
Region 4--Bandera

Division 1 Champs--Everman repeats
Division 2 Champs--LaGrange

sinton66
07-09-2002, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by spirate_9:

Talley on txpreps has Sinton scoring total of 646 and allowing 122. Point was they and Everman were at the highest power ratings in all of 3A last year. 646/122=5.295 to 1 ratio. Sinton and Everman also played some decent 4A opponents last year. Jasper has their work cut out for them to get past either of these two.

BellvilleDude
07-09-2002, 03:58 PM
bellville in ethier division it goes into