PDA

View Full Version : HEB has magazine The Story of Texas Football for $3.99

Phil C
10-12-2006, 08:30 AM
They have them at the Sinton HEB so I am sure they are available State Wide. I brought a copy and haven't had time to read it but I glanced over it and it does have interesting articles and stories and well worth the money.
I only had two disappointments in it and they are minor. One was the article on Gregory-Portland Coach Ray Akins. It had a picture but didn't name Coach Akins' two top assistants with him for many years and that was Coach Jimmy Rettig and Coach Marlo Mircovich (spelling?). There was some bitterness between Coach Akins and Coach Mircovich when G-P hired Mr. Mircovich as his successor because Mr. Mircovich had left coaching for several years to go into private business. But Coach Mircovich was a great assistant coach for Mr. Akins for years and many players on defense gave him the credit for their greatness because he was the defensive coach while Coach Akins worked with the offense with Coach Rettig who was a great assistant coach that worked with the offense. What was unusual about these two coaches at the time was that they were a group of the few assistant coaches that only coached football instead of other sports.
I would also have liked an article and the scores of the 1962 San Antonio Breakenridge team that lost several of their early games and then as underdogs won all the rest of their games to State.

raider red 2000
10-12-2006, 08:36 AM
is that the one with permain on the front?

Pudlugger
10-12-2006, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

I bought one at my HEB on sale for 50 cents! It has all the great high school teams going from way back to the present.

Bandera YaYa
10-12-2006, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by Phil C

I would also have liked an article and the scores of the 1962 San Antonio Breakenridge team that lost several of their early games and then as underdogs won all the rest of their games to State. Wow...sounds like another team I know!!! :D :D :clap: :D

Ranger Mom
10-12-2006, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Wow...sounds like another team I know!!! :D :D :clap: :D

:weeping: :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry: :weeping:

Bandera YaYa
10-12-2006, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
:weeping: :bigcry: :weeping: :bigcry: :weeping: Ahhhhhhhhh......I'm sorry!!!!!! :(

Bandera YaYa
10-12-2006, 09:25 AM
Dang, I still wish we had known about each other then!!! :(

Phil C
10-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Dang, I still wish we had known about each other then!!! :(

Bandera San Antonio Breakenride that year lost 4 of it's first five games that year during the regular season then started winning them. Some of the losses were district losses but the other teams lost enough games to where they were able to win district and get into the playoffs barely. Back then only one team in each district made it. Warren McVey was a junior then and he was great. Only thirty two teams made the playoffs and they were underdogs in every game they played in the playoffs (they weren't even supposed to win district). They won two playoff games and then there were 8 teams left. The experts would have predicted that of the 8 teams they would have been the least favorite to win state but they did win all their games and in the state championship they defeated Borger 30 to 26 and the West Texas Sports Writers couldn't believe it. I wish that the magazine could have had that great story along with the Bandera story.

Phil C
10-12-2006, 11:30 AM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
I bought one at my HEB on sale for 50 cents! It has all the great high school teams going from way back to the present.

Man that is a bargain. I paid the $3.99 and feel it is well worth the price though.

Phil C
10-12-2006, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
They have them at the Sinton HEB so I am sure they are available State Wide. I brought a copy and haven't had time to read it but I glanced over it and it does have interesting articles and stories and well worth the money.
I only had two disappointments in it and they are minor. One was the article on Gregory-Portland Coach Ray Akins. It had a picture but didn't name Coach Akins' two top assistants with him for many years and that was Coach Jimmy Rettig and Coach Marlo Mircovich (spelling?). There was some bitterness between Coach Akins and Coach Mircovich when G-P hired Mr. Mircovich as his successor because Mr. Mircovich had left coaching for several years to go into private business. But Coach Mircovich was a great assistant coach for Mr. Akins for years and many players on defense gave him the credit for their greatness because he was the defensive coach while Coach Akins worked with the offense with Coach Rettig who was a great assistant coach that worked with the offense. What was unusual about these two coaches at the time was that they were a group of the few assistant coaches that only coached football instead of other sports.
I would also have liked an article and the scores of the 1962 San Antonio Breakenridge team that lost several of their early games and then as underdogs won all the rest of their games to State.

I have been told that while he was Head Coach and Athletic Director that G-P made great strides in its' girls sports program.

Phil C
10-12-2006, 11:35 AM
It was a shame that G-P couldn't beat Plano and get a state championship in 1971 losing 21 to 20. I remember there was one play when G-P was near the Plano goal and had a fourth and 1 and the runner looked like he got in to the G-P Coaches in the press box but the ref gave it to Plano inches from the goal line. Near the end of the game G-P had the ball at the Plano 13 and were within the field goal range of Coach Akins son Marty (later to be UT QB) but they got a holding penalty and pushed them back and Marty missed a long field goal that would have won it for G-P. A shame indeed.

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2006, 12:05 PM
Originally posted by raider red 2000

yes it is... HEB also has one called BloodFued.. about OU/AM and UT... im not sure which one...

maroonpirate04
10-12-2006, 03:22 PM
Got mine last night, Was reading about one of my favorite teams Southlake Carroll Dragons interesting facts about the Dragons jumping from a small school to a big school in a short amount of time

NHSRattler60
10-12-2006, 03:52 PM
Yeah we have them and the price keeps going down.

Also we're releasing the story of the National Title Longhorns.....not much of a story, they were just good and had some lucky calls in the title game.....and that's not me being bitter......I'm a longhorn fan.

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2006, 03:54 PM
Originally posted by NHSRattler60
Yeah we have them and the price keeps going down.

Also we're releasing the story of the National Title Longhorns.....not much of a story, they were just good and had some lucky calls in the title game.....and that's not me being bitter......I'm a longhorn fan.

im tired of the books/mags we keep putting out on the shelves... its like how many diff ways can you tell the same story

Phil C
10-12-2006, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
im tired of the books/mags we keep putting out on the shelves... its like how many diff ways can you tell the same story

Think of it as seeing good movie over and over again.

:D

Blastoderm55
10-12-2006, 03:57 PM
I've got the Bloodfeud book and the one with Chris Comer on the cover somewhere around the house. :p