PDA

View Full Version : T J Mills fired fron Odessa Permian

toby070
11-29-2002, 09:16 AM
Probably old news, but I've been in West Texas this week and read about it in the Odessa paper. Interesting, as win-crazy as OP is, a lot of people thought he wasn't given enough time. Personally, I thought Mills could turn Permian around if anyone could, BUT thought it was interesting that part of the reason he was fired was his attitude on the field. This might or might not be fair, I don't know the man personally, but I've watched some of his playoff games, and the man was an ass as far as running up a score. I've seen his Sealy teams more than once toss the long pass late in the game with a huge lead, and that always drove me crazy. You DON'T run up the score at the high school level, these are frickin KIDS.

That said, you can't argue with his record, I bet he ends up back at the 3A level again.

BTW, the Odessa paper lists Todd Dodge as a possible replacement.

bd62
11-29-2002, 10:43 AM
he had a bad habit of running up the score.he is not a nice guy. but he is a hell of a coach.the kids sell out for him.depends on what you want. i guess nice guy and good coach is idea. there are some of those and they usually are good for the long haul. if tj is not winning he is gone quicker than most because he want make many friends. politics is one word that he does not know the meaning of.

VWG
12-01-2002, 09:52 PM
I can't see Dodge (S'lake Carrol) leaving for Permian. Why leave a place like Carrol for Permian? Carrol is loaded with $$$$ and they have to be paying him pretty good.

This reminds me of a quote I heard on the radio from a high school coach...."There are two kinds of coaches, those that have been fired and those that are gonna be fired."

eye of the tiger
12-01-2002, 11:11 PM
Just a rumor but what I hear the most on another board is that Randy Quisenberry will be the next super mojo. He was an assistant there once. Tough to leave Abilene Cooper though.

Jacket2000
12-02-2002, 12:30 AM
Dodge also coached as an asst under the AD of ECISD, but he has said that he is not interested in the Permian job. Of course, he says that while his team is still playing. Could be a different story once offseason starts.
J2K

St. Ivender
12-03-2002, 03:20 PM
Several coaches and Sealy residents have told me that Mills is a jerk. He didn't make any friends in Ector County. The talent pool has been depleted there due to the downturn in the oil business. Rumor has it that LaPorte is interested in him. It's going to be hard to recruit in LP as well as it was for him at Permian. Whomever gets the Permian job will have to be a politician no doubt. Bill Clinton is without a job