PDA

View Full Version : What will happen to the top 6 by the end of the year!

mchavez
10-12-2006, 12:11 AM
This is what's going to happen by the end of the regular seasons

#1 Ohio State- Will go undefeated!

#2 Flordia- Will lose to a very angry team, Auburn next week!

#3 USC- They will have a very though Nov They play Oregon, Cal, and ND in three straight weeks!! I see them loosing one or two!

#4 Michigan- Will loose to Ohio State and maybe even Iowa!

#5 West Virgina- Will go undefeated, but wont make the championship! Sorry I just dont see a team that plays sorry teams(except for Lou) all year long.

#6 Texas- Will win the Big 12 and finish 12-1!! And guess what? They jump over WV and play a rematch with Ohio State in the National Championship!

Stownhorse
10-12-2006, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by mchavez

#3 USC- They will have a very though Nov They play Oregon, Cal, and ND in three straight weeks!! I see them loosing one or two!

#5 West Virgina- Will go undefeated, but wont make the championship! Sorry I just dont see a team that plays sorry teams(except for Lou) all year long.

#6 Texas- Will win the Big 12 and finish 12-1!! And guess what? They jump over WV and play a rematch with Ohio State in the National Championship!

I know Ohio state will be in the big shindig but i think its a toss up between Michigan and Texas for who plays OSU in the NC.

PPHSfan
10-12-2006, 12:21 AM
Even if Texas makes it back to number two, I don't think they have the team to beat Ohio State this year. Ohio State is clearly the best team in the nation this year.

Bulldog_12
10-12-2006, 12:28 AM
I dont think WVU gets jumped by texas if Michigan Florida and USC lose. Especially if they roll over Rutgers and Louisville.

Stownhorse
10-12-2006, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
I dont think WVU gets jumped by texas if Michigan Florida and USC lose. Especially if they roll over Rutgers and Louisville.

Dude there is no way they will make it out alive playing just those 2 good teams....I say they beat Lousiville and get beat by Rutgers in a tight one

Bulldog_12
10-12-2006, 12:35 AM
Originally posted by Stownhorse
Dude there is no way they will make it out alive playing just those 2 good teams....I say they beat Lousiville and get beat by Rutgers in a tight one

If WVU turns it on, they are really good, i.e. Georgia last year. They can be a really good team when they feel like it. I think they roll the Big East.

Stownhorse
10-12-2006, 12:38 AM
Originally posted by Bulldog_12
If WVU turns it on, they are really good, i.e. Georgia last year. They can be a really good team when they feel like it. I think they roll the Big East.

Its possible but how can you be ready for the big dance when leading up to that game you have been playing juco teams

AggieJohn
10-12-2006, 12:43 AM
OK seriously. Florida vs. Auburn, you think Auburn rolls in that one?

Bulldog_12
10-12-2006, 12:44 AM
Its possible but how can you be ready for the big dance when leading up to that game you have been playing juco teams

Same was thought last year when they went against Georgia. We all see how that went.

eagles_victory
10-12-2006, 01:05 AM

Florida will not go undefeated lets say that get past Auburn. Mark it down from Ev South Carolina will beat Florida. Florida has been over there heads. The Tim Tebow packages have carried them thusfar. You wont find a bigger Tebow fan then me ive followed him ever since he played at nease but i just dont see them continuing winning games this way.

USC is so overrated they might not make it to the tough 3 game stretch undefeated. If it wasnt for hometown clock keeping they may not be undefeated right now.

If TOSU beats Michigan Texas would jump over Michigan due to Mich lost the last game of the year and Texas lost at the very first. Where it gets complicated is if Michigan wins and there undefeated and in the game does Texas get in before TOSU. The injury to Manningham could hurt them hes been one of the top 5 recievers if not number 1 in the country so far.

Now for West Virginia its kinda hard for me to picture a team with a qb who cant throw in the championship game. Pat White cant pass on East Carolina hes going to do it on OSU no way. Maybe if its a track meet WVU wins but once they play a defense with speed there going to struggle. I know Rutgers has come along way but when your talking about them as the second best team you have left there in lies a problem.

big daddy russ
10-12-2006, 01:44 AM
This is what's going to happen by the end of the regular seasons...

If WVU wins all their games, they go to the NC. That's the long and short of it.

Is it just me, or is West Virginia the most underrated college team on the Downlow?

Originally posted by AggieJohn
OK seriously. Florida vs. Auburn, you think Auburn rolls in that one?
Here's the deal with Auburn: Arkansas was a matchup nightmare for the Tigers, Auburn's a matchup nightmare for the Gators. Arkansas, a big power-running team, matched up perfectly against an Auburn defense built solely for speed. They may be the fastest defense in the nation... even faster than WVU... but Chizik-model defenses are known for being undersized.

IF the Tigers execute properly, they can put Florida away. Florida's a team that relies on their speed to make plays, but when you tack them up against a defense that is as fast or faster, they run into problems (i.e. Tennessee).

Now one of the announcers last week said something to the effect that Auburn's been beat up ever since the LSU game (which Tuberville called "the most physical game" he's ever been a part of), and that could come into play as well. After hearing that, I think Florida's hopes rest with one man, and it's not Chris Leak, Tim Tebow, DeShawn Wynn, or anyone else on that loaded offense. It's LB Brandon Siler.

If he can dictate another physical game, Auburn may slack a little and give the Gators enough room to pull one off. While Georgia, South Carolina, and Florida State will be tough, this is undoubtedly their biggest landmine remaining on UF's schedule. Auburn may have played like crap the last two games, but they're still an elite team.

bulldogman06
10-12-2006, 02:45 AM
What about ND? if they put a whupping on USC they are right back in it, and their schedule definitely helps them out.

3afan
10-12-2006, 08:26 AM
here is WV's schedule:

9/2 Marshall W 42-10
9/9 Eastern Wash W 52-3
9/14 Maryland W 45-24
9/23 at East Carolina W 27-10
10/7 at Miss State W 42-14
10/14 Syracuse
10/20 at Connecticut
11/2 at Louisville
11/11 Cincinnati
11/16 at Pitt
11/25 South Florida
12/2 Rutgers

its just bad luck that this is considered a weak schedule since the Big East has changed so much ... when the schedule was made the conference had Boston College & Miami. even if Miami was still on the slate they are down this year, that would have been more bad luck. throw out the Eastern Washington game, that is WV's Sam Houston State game. So the teams out of conference are Marshall, Miss State and Maryland - all "down" this year, more rottten luck for WV. Those same teams 3 years from now could all be top 20 ("could" - you see my point!). IMO if WV wants to make it to Glendale to play OSU they definitely have to win out and they have to be dominating. Otherwise, if Texas wins out and dominates, and everyone else loses (BIF if), no way will WV be able to hold them off.

but then again, what do I know ..........

Happy Friday everyone!

raider red 2000
10-12-2006, 08:33 AM
TEXAS dosnt make it to the championship game.

sorry horns....yall had your chance and blew it.

i think that even if florida, USC, and west va lose....i dont think that either will....texas still dosnt make it.

DukeNukem
10-12-2006, 08:40 AM
I know Ohio state will be in the big shindig but i think its a toss up between Michigan and Texas for who plays OSU in the NC.

michigan and ohio state play each other at the end of the regular season. one will lose and be out, the other will be big 10 champs and in the bcs title game

Old Tiger
10-12-2006, 08:41 AM

#6 Texas- Will win the Big 12 and finish 12-1!! And guess what? They jump over WV and play a rematch with Ohio State in the National Championship! Ohio State will lose to Michigan I think. Florida will lose to Auburn, USC will lose to Cal, Michigan will lose to Penn St. this weekend, WV will edge out Louisville but lose to Rutgers. :D

raider red 2000
10-12-2006, 09:08 AM
and UT loses to TECH in Lubbock.

then there is a real mess :)

lostaussie
10-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Even though not published yet. i heard on radio yesterday that right now Texas is actually 8th in BCS. That is a lot of teams to jump.

BTEXDAD
10-12-2006, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
and UT loses to TECH in Lubbock.

then there is a real mess :)

What's the scenario if Aggies win out?

(The A&M and UT bashing has finally slowed down a little and I'm just trying to get it going again)

Old Tiger
10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Texas won't lose to Tech.

A&M will lose this weekend.

raider red 2000
10-12-2006, 09:15 AM
Originally posted by BTEXDAD
What's the scenario if Aggies win out?

I am not sure...but something like pigs are flying :)

lostaussie
10-12-2006, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
Texas won't lose to Tech.

A&M will lose this weekend. don't put yourself to far out there on that limb now:D

Old Tiger
10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
Originally posted by lostaussie
don't put yourself to far out there on that limb now:D AND A&M will lose to Baylor :D

Adidas410s
10-12-2006, 09:17 AM
I just don't see Texas making it. For one, what voter is going to put Texas #2 at the end of the season if they have a 1-loss Florida, Auburn, USC, Michigan, and possibly an undefeated (or one loss) WVU??? The Texas/OSU was a boring game to watch the first time...why would we want to watch them a second time?? I think that mentality alone would keep Texas out of the MNC game.

Also, don't forget about Cal. Assuming they beat USC, they too would be a 1-loss team and many people have already written off their loss to Tennessee as an abberation.

What about Mizzou??? I know it's crazy to think...but if they went undefeated they would have wins @ Tech, @ A&M, vs OU and @ Nebraska. If they beat a Top 10 Texas team in the Big 12 Championship then they would have wins over 5 teams that were in the Top 25 at one point in the season. It's not that far fetched if you think about it. Their schedule would be strong than WVU's.

lostaussie
10-12-2006, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Tiger WR
AND A&M will lose to Baylor :D your branch just broke!!!!!!!!

Old Tiger
10-12-2006, 09:20 AM
Dude Baylor is going to the Big XII Championship

Or so that CB said.

BTEXDAD
10-12-2006, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I just don't see Texas making it. For one, what voter is going to put Texas #2 at the end of the season if they have a 1-loss Florida, Auburn, USC, Michigan, and possibly an undefeated (or one loss) WVU???

What about Mizzou??? I know it's crazy to think...but if they went undefeated they would have wins @ Tech, @ A&M, vs OU and @ Nebraska. If they beat a Top 10 Texas team in the Big 12 Championship then they would have wins over 5 teams that were in the Top 25 at one point in the season. It's not that far fetched if you think about it. Their schedule would be strong than WVU's.

Don't forget BCS is based a large percentage on computer info. Best bet for Texas is for Ohio st to remain unbeaten. Then UT's only loss is to #1 team (if UT goes unbeaten rest of season). Computer doesn't like weak schedules and losses to lower ranked teams.
Missouri has a lot of teams to jump, but if they win out, which is TALL order, they would have legitimate claim to play in NC game.
I feel somebody(ies) is going to feel they got the shaft when national title game is set no matter who is there.

Adidas410s
10-12-2006, 09:35 AM
Don't forget BCS is based a large percentage on computer info. Best bet for Texas is for Ohio st to remain unbeaten. Then UT's only loss is to #1 team (if UT goes unbeaten rest of season). Computer doesn't like weak schedules and losses to lower ranked teams.
Missouri has a lot of teams to jump, but if they win out, which is TALL order, they would have legitimate claim to play in NC game.
I feel somebody(ies) is going to feel they got the shaft when national title game is set no matter who is there.
I believe the new BCS system is 2/3 human polls 1/3 computers. I'll double check that though.

Adidas410s
10-12-2006, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
I believe the new BCS system is 2/3 human polls 1/3 computers. I'll double check that though.
Compilation of Standings

Since the 2000 regular season, the BCS Standings have been compiled by the National Football Foundation and College Hall of Fame.

The Standings include three components: USA Today Coaches Poll, Harris Interactive College Football Poll and an average of six computer rankings. Each component will count one-third toward a team's overall BCS score.

All three components shall be added together and averaged for a team's ranking in the BCS Standings. The team with the highest average shall rank first in the BCS Standings. The first BCS Standings of the 2005 season will be released on Sunday, October 15. The BCS Standings will be used for:

1. Selecting the teams that will participate in the national championship game.

2. Determining any other automatic qualifiers; and,

3. Establishing the pool of eligible teams for at-large selection.

Polls

In the Harris Interactive College Football Poll and USA Today Coaches Poll, a team will be evaluated on the number of voting points it receives in each poll. A team's Harris Interactive score will be its points in the poll divided by its total possible voting points (2850=114 x 25). The same formula will apply to the USA Today Coaches poll and its total voting points (1550=62 x 25).

The number of actual voters, which can vary, is figured into the computation on a weekly basis in stating each team's percentage of a possible perfect score.

Computer Rankings

Six computer rankings will be used: Jeff Sagarin, Anderson & Hester, Richard Billingsley, Colley Matrix, Kenneth Massey and Dr. Peter Wolfe. Points will be assigned in inverse order of ranking from 1-25. A team's highest and lowest computer ranking will be discarded in calculating its computer rankings average. The four remaining computer scores will be averaged and the total will be calculated as a percentage of 100.

BTEXDAD
10-12-2006, 10:11 AM
too much is being based on human polls imo.
Seems like they only included that one human poll in the bcs ranking in past and it only counted like 25%.
Of course things such as strength of schedule are measured by computer, but determined by humans so computer isn't perfect, but at least it doesn't vote as a homer.

I should let it die, but one reason they went back to more emphasis on human polls was the nat championship game after 2003 season which didn't include USC.
USC's "national championship" after 2003 season was voted on by humans heavily weighted from east and west coast with a bias against south. LSU beat OK and was the only national champ imo.
USC came out of reg season with 10-1 record. OK and LSU with 11-1 records. (USC didn't have conference championship game.)With comparable strength of schedules, if you put that into computer, the two teams with most wins would go to NC game which they did. Time of year for loss shouldn't matter.
OK had lost to K-STate in Big 12 title game after being ranked #1 all year, and everyone, at least everyone in CA didn't think OK should be going to NC game.

Sweetwater Red
10-12-2006, 10:13 AM
Michigan vs. Ohio St. will be for the national championship. Who
ever wins will play in the BCS title game but this is the real
national championship.:D

Adidas410s
10-12-2006, 10:16 AM
too much is being based on human polls imo.
Seems like they only included that one human poll in the bcs ranking in past and it only counted like 25%.
Of course things such as strength of schedule are measured by computer, but determined by humans so computer isn't perfect, but at least it doesn't vote as a homer.

I should let it die, but one reason they went back to more emphasis on human polls was the nat championship game after 2003 season which didn't include USC.
USC's "national championship" after 2003 season was voted on by humans heavily weighted from east and west coast with a bias against south. LSU beat OK and was the only national champ imo.
USC came out of reg season with 10-1 record. OK and LSU with 11-1 records. (USC didn't have conference championship game.)With comparable strength of schedules, if you put that into computer, the two teams with most wins would go to NC game which they did. Time of year for loss shouldn't matter.
OK had lost to K-STate in Big 12 title game after being ranked #1 all year, and everyone, at least everyone in CA didn't think OK should be going to NC game.

Having watched those 3 teams though...USC was just as impressive as BlowU IMO. I never found that LSU team to be impressive at all...especially on offense. USC had the talent on offense to matchup with them and would've been able to beat LSU or BlowU had they played.

WestTXLonghorn
10-12-2006, 10:23 AM
Seriously. . .you just gotta let the season play out. WAY too many football games left to be played to be saying "Oh this team for sure does this and yeah this team jumps that team" so on and so forth.

I think the Horns win out and if they do that I think they'll be fine. I mean, some of you are speculating about Missouri going undefeated all season long when they haven't even played anyone yet. If Graham Harrell doesn't totally implode in that football game the Red Raiders (who are NOT a great team this year, sorry) win by 3 TDs or so. Let's let Missou get past Nebraska first, ya know? Let's let West Virginia get past Cincy and then Louisville first, ok? Heck, let's just get through this week and see the official BCS rankings before we go crazy.;)

BTEXDAD
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
NO, we want to argue about it right now!

Have a good one, all, I have a luncheon meeting to go to.

KTJ
10-12-2006, 10:26 AM
WVU is lower than UT right now in the BCS polls.

However, I really don't think we, we being Texas, will be going back to the NC game so I don't know why all of these fans are coming out of the woodwork to proclaim that we are. Be happy with the NC we won last year. If we make it to a BCS bowl, which we will, that will only increase the prestige of our already Elite program.

If something happens and we make it back to the NC game--that's freaking great. I mean GREAT. But if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, then who really cares!? Why do people keep bringing up scenarios? Just let the crap play out. Texas going to the Fiesta Bowl (BCS game, not NC) is FANTASTIC for this team, mostly because we weren't even picked to win the Big 12. People were picking us to go to the Holiday Bowl and now we're back in line for a 3rd straight BCS game. Do you know how many programs WISH they could say that?

Just sit back and enjoy the season...geezy creezy.

pirate4state
10-12-2006, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
WVU is lower than UT right now in the BCS polls.

However, I really don't think we, we being Texas, will be going back to the NC game so I don't know why all of these fans are coming out of the woodwork to proclaim that we are. Be happy with the NC we won last year. If we make it to a BCS bowl, which we will, that will only increase the prestige of our already Elite program.

If something happens and we make it back to the NC game--that's freaking great. I mean GREAT. But if it doesn't happen, which it probably won't, then who really cares!? Why do people keep bringing up scenarios? Just let the crap play out. Texas going to the Fiesta Bowl (BCS game, not NC) is FANTASTIC for this team, mostly because we weren't even picked to win the Big 12. People were picking us to go to the Holiday Bowl and now we're back in line for a 3rd straight BCS game. Do you know how many programs WISH they could say that?

Just sit back and enjoy the season...geezy creezy.

They can't help themselves, that's why!

I totally hear you though!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Gobbla2001
10-12-2006, 10:31 AM
I think it's about 50/50 honestly... but if I had to bet I'd say a BCS bowl no NC...

but hell I'd love to see the NC with Texas in it again...

and geezy creezy? that was cheezy :p

Phil C
10-12-2006, 10:36 AM
Originally posted by Sweetwater Red
Michigan vs. Ohio St. will be for the national championship. Who
ever wins will play in the BCS title game but this is the real
national championship.:D

Sweet I think you could be right. No matter what happens there will be controversy which is what I like. Last year USC and UT were one and two from the start and everyone wanted that match in the Rose Bowl and got it and it worked out they were the only major top teams that had perfet records. It was just one of those year.

This year I look for there to be controversy. I said it last year when even when things fell into place that we need a real playoff system with at least the top 8 teams. Come on Controversy!

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2006, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I think it's about 50/50 honestly... but if I had to bet I'd say a BCS bowl no NC...

i agree with you on the BCS bowl...
however i think all the scenarios people are coming up with are from behind Burnt Orange tinted glasses/keyboards

KTJ
10-12-2006, 10:50 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001

You know you liked geezy creezy.

however i think all the scenarios people are coming up with are from behind Burnt Orange tinted glasses/keyboards

Bingo Bango.

Even the folks on Hornfans aren't expecting to go back to the NC game. And when someone brings it up, we usually run them off.

mchavez
10-12-2006, 11:55 AM
I'm going to make a make I big deal out of it, because it's more than a 50/50 chance! I would say it's about a 60/40 chance of happening!! And yes it would be nice to be in just a BCS game, but it would be even nicer to be back in the NC! Plus I think it would be a much better match this time around!! McCoy is becoming a better QB every week, and now that are defense isn't messed up like last time we might beable to stop their passing game!

District303aPastPlayer
10-12-2006, 12:00 PM
I'm going to make a make I big deal out of it, because it's more than a 50/50 chance! I would say it's about a 60/40 chance of happening!! And yes it would be nice to be in just a BCS game, but it would be even nicer to be back in the NC! Plus I think it would be a much better match this time around!! McCoy is becoming a better QB every week, and now that are defense isn't messed up like last time we might beable to stop their passing game!

okay yeah, but ya'll arent going to get there... a WAC10 or SEC school will. :)

KTJ
10-12-2006, 12:03 PM

It's not a 60/40 chance of going back to the NC. Right now, at the most, I'd give it a 40/60. (I wouldn't even give it a 50/50.)

Ask me again after this weekend. (Auburn/Florida, Meechigan/Penn State, etc.)

BTEXDAD
10-12-2006, 01:45 PM
I'd go with more like 42/55 percent with 3% margin for error.

eagles_victory
10-12-2006, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
It's not a 60/40 chance of going back to the NC. Right now, at the most, I'd give it a 40/60. (I wouldn't even give it a 50/50.)

Ask me again after this weekend. (Auburn/Florida, Meechigan/Penn State, etc.) i say its about 50/50 im confident most of the teams in front of texas will lose im worried about Cal Notre Dame and Tennessee catching texas from behind

raider red 2000
10-12-2006, 02:14 PM
those of yall who are saying 40-60 or 60-40 or 50-50.

man i know some people taht wish yall were bookies giving odds like that on UT.

UT has a snowballs chance in **** to win a NC.

coach
10-12-2006, 02:18 PM

wishful thinking

KTJ
10-12-2006, 02:37 PM

A.) The percentages are to GET to the NC...not win it.

B.) See above.

C.) You sure do love to bash a lot with nothing to back it up with. Or is it just me.

D.) Will you be at the Tech/UT game and where is the best place to go for, ahem, adult beverages and food. :D

g$$
10-12-2006, 06:43 PM
I agree with Russ that WVU is very underrated on this board. The Big East is not great, but neither is the Big 12 this year. WVU has lots of speed & a decent defense. Rich Rodriguez has built a powerhouse there. Maybe give them a look & see what you think. I would venture a guess that most people are basing their opinion on "name" & not actual quality of the team.

If WVU runs the table & wins at Louisville Nov. 2nd, then they go undefeated & just might be in the NC game if the others lose. I don't see a 1 loss team jumping them. They would have a Top 10 win on the road, a win over ranked Rutgers, & be undeafeated from a BCS Conference. Guess we'll see as it plays out.

WestTXLonghorn
10-12-2006, 08:55 PM

Weren't guys like you saying this last year? Weren't Tech fans like you also saying that the Red Raiders were going to spank us in our own house?

Let me correct your statement. Texas Tech has a snowball's chance in **** to win a NC.

WestTXLonghorn
10-12-2006, 08:57 PM
Problem for WVU is that if they beat Louisville the Cardinals drop into the high teens or 20's in the rankings. If they beat Rutgers then the Scarlet Knights drop completely out of the poll leaving only 1 Top 25 team on their resume.

big daddy russ
10-12-2006, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
Problem for WVU is that if they beat Louisville the Cardinals drop into the high teens or 20's in the rankings. If they beat Rutgers then the Scarlet Knights drop completely out of the poll leaving only 1 Top 25 team on their resume.
If Rutgers finishes the year with two losses, they'll probably be a top 25 team, but that's a big if. They play Pitt in a couple of weeks and Pitt has quietly put together a very nice season. Dispatched a solid Toledo squad 45-3. Their sole blemish was a 38-33 loss to Michigan State.

BUT, if Rutgers gets by Pitt and only loses to Louisville and WVU, I think they'll be ranked in the low-20's come season's end. They got by a trap game in South Florida (another one of those "decent" teams that seems to be hanging out just below the radar) and will have a solid win against a good team that made an appearance in a BCS Bowl just two years ago.

This is all still up in the air because the Big East still has a slew of competitive teams just under the top tier. While WVU and Louisville are legit contenders, either could lose to Pitt or Rutgers... and South Florida and Syracuse have both been competitive teams who could sneak up on any of the above.

Like I said, it's all just speculation right now, but say WVU finishes 12-0, Louisville finishes 11-1, and SUNJ finishes 10-2, I think:

-the Mountaineers finish out the season as the second-ranked team (the only other two undefeateds that have a legit shot at finishing out the season are tOSU and USC, both of which have tougher roads to hoe than WVU),

-...Louisville will be ranked somewhere in the 8-15 range (depending, of course, on whether or not the WVU game is competitive),

-...and the Scarlet Knights in the 20-25 range.