PDA

View Full Version : Midland Reporter Telegram Area Player of the Week

westtxfballfan
10-11-2006, 05:33 PM
Article in today's Midland Reporter-Telegram:

BATTERING RAM
Rodriguez has stepped into FB role for Loboes

By Oscar Leroy

Monahans head coach Mickey Owens admits that before the season started, he didn't know what to expect from fullback Josh Rodriguez.

Rodriguez himself didn't know what to expect either.

After five games of the season, Rodriguez has been more than just a pleasant surprise for the Loboes.

The senior has rushed for 693 yards and nine touchdowns on 87 carries this season, including 121 yards and two TDs on 14 carries in a 52-0 rout of District 1-3A foe Pecos last Friday. For his efforts against the Eagles, Rodriguez is the Reporter-Telegram's Area Player of the Week.

"We opened against Pecos strong and finally we came ready to play all four quarters," Rodriguez said. "Our offense played hard and our defense held strong."

As for his personal performance, Rodriguez thought he could do much better.

"I ran all right, I just can't let little people take me down," Rodriguez said.

He's had better games this season such as his 217-yard, three-touchdown game in a 26-21 victory over Midland Christian. And then there was his debut in a 12-7 victory over Snyder in which he rushed for 189 yards and both TDs.

"Going into the season, I knew I had big shoes to fill, playing in Sam Graves' spot," said Rodriguez, about last year's starting fullback, who rushed for 1,000-plus yards. "But I even surprised myself in that first game."

Owens said that Rodriguez has been steady all season.

"He's been a big surprise," Owens said. "He played outside linebacker for us last year and he's really stepped in and played well for us. Josh and Sam are totally different runners. Josh is more of a power guy, while Sam was more of a slasher. Josh has also had to play with an entirely new offensive front."

In fact most of the Loboes' starters are new this season, especially on the offensive line.

"We were pretty young coming into the season," Rodriguez said. "The line was especially young, but we knew the defense was going to be better. The offense took a while but then we started clicking and so far it's been pretty good.

"There was no doubt that we were going to be a good football team. Everybody believes in each other and everybody is positive and working hard. Everybody wanted to be the best."

And that includes Rodriguez, who is still not satisfied with what he's done this year. That's good news for the Loboes and bad news for any opposing defenses.

"I just have to go out and run hard on every play," Rodriguez said. "I know that sounds corny but that's what I have to do."

justlikesports
10-11-2006, 07:46 PM
Congrats to Joshua!!! GO LOBOES!