PDA

View Full Version : Question on two point conversion try

Phil C
10-11-2006, 12:00 PM
Is it called a safety when on the conversion after td try the defensive team blocks the try for extra point kick and picks it up and runs it back the other way for the two points?

Gobbla2001
10-11-2006, 12:10 PM
yes, on a conversion it is a safety...

GATAPride77
10-11-2006, 02:10 PM
No it is not a Safety. What you are describing is simply a touchdown on a try for the defense which is 2 points.

A Safety on the try is 1 point. Remember the Texas vs Texas A&M game in Austin two years ago? Blocked kick on the try, (illegal kick by Texas that was no called) and Aggie defender recovered the ball and then fumbled the ball back into his own endzone where the Aggies recovered, a safety on a try, awarding Texas 1 point.

Under most cases a safety is scored when the ball is dead in or behind the goaline of the team who last possessed the ball. There are also situations where a penalty in your endzone will result in a safety.

g$$
10-11-2006, 05:54 PM
I'm pretty good on rules, but now I am confusing myself. Run thru some more scenarios please...

I do remember the A&M/Texas 1 pointer 2 years ago. That was crazy & seldom seen.

STANG RED
10-11-2006, 06:18 PM
I wouldnt bet the farm on it. But I'm fairly sure, if you block an extra point kick attempt, pick it up and return it for a score, you are only given 1 point, but it is called a safety.:confused:
Now if a team is going for a 2 point conversion, you force a fumble or int, pick it up and return it for a score, I'm not sure if you get 1, 2, or 6. :confused: :confused: :confused:

D_bird
10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
I'm pretty sure that if you block the extra point and return it all the way back you get two points in college and high school.

Now say if the defense picked it up and fumbled it back into their own endzone and recover it without getting it out of the endzone, then the offense would be awarded one point because the defense possessed the ball outside the endzone and then fell on their own fumble in their own endzone which would be the one point safety. This is very rarely seen though.

whtfbplaya
10-11-2006, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by g$$
I'm pretty good on rules, but now I am confusing myself. Run thru some more scenarios please...

I do remember the A&M/Texas 1 pointer 2 years ago. That was crazy & seldom seen.

Here are some.

PAT @ B3. The score is A22-B24. Time has expired in the first half. Team B intercepts Team A’s legal forward pass in Team B's end zone and advances to B's 20 where he is downed. During Team B’s run, a Team B player clips in B's end zone.

PAT @ B's 3. Team A has only six players on the line at the snap. The try is blocked behind the line of scrimmage. The ball never crosses the neutral zone. Team B picks up the ball on B's 10 and returns the ball across Team A's goal line. During Team B's run, a Team B player held @ B's 18

PAT @ B3, a Team B player intercepts a forward pass and has a clear field to the goal line when he makes an obscene gesture toward the nearest opponent.

PAT @ B3. The score is A28-B28 with time expired in the fourth quarter. A's kick is good. The Tight End was called for holding and the Safety committed a personal foul after the Try.

PAT @ B's 3. The score is A27-B28. Time has expired in the fourth quarter. Team A runner takes a handoff, struts into Team B's end zone and is flagged. This unsportsmanlike act started before the runner crossed Team B's goal line.

PAT @ B’s 3. Team B defensive end intercepts Team A's legal forward pass and is downed on A's 40. During Team B's run, a Team B player clips. Team A was illegally in motion. Team B was offside.

If anyone gets them all right in the next 10 min Ill by you dinner in College Station.

whtfbplaya
10-11-2006, 06:33 PM
Pat after gaining possession b fumbles and a recovers in b's endzone - A gets 2 points

Pat after gaining possession b fumbles and b recovers in b's endzone - A gets 1 point

Tweeder215
10-11-2006, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
Here are some.

PAT @ B3. The score is A22-B24. Time has expired in the first half. Team B intercepts Team A’s legal forward pass in Team B's end zone and advances to B's 20 where he is downed. During Team B’s run, a Team B player clips in B's end zone.

PAT @ B's 3. Team A has only six players on the line at the snap. The try is blocked behind the line of scrimmage. The ball never crosses the neutral zone. Team B picks up the ball on B's 10 and returns the ball across Team A's goal line. During Team B's run, a Team B player held @ B's 18

PAT @ B3, a Team B player intercepts a forward pass and has a clear field to the goal line when he makes an obscene gesture toward the nearest opponent.

PAT @ B3. The score is A28-B28 with time expired in the fourth quarter. A's kick is good. The Tight End was called for holding and the Safety committed a personal foul after the Try.

PAT @ B's 3. The score is A27-B28. Time has expired in the fourth quarter. Team A runner takes a handoff, struts into Team B's end zone and is flagged. This unsportsmanlike act started before the runner crossed Team B's goal line.

PAT @ B’s 3. Team B defensive end intercepts Team A's legal forward pass and is downed on A's 40. During Team B's run, a Team B player clips. Team A was illegally in motion. Team B was offside.

If anyone gets them all right in the next 10 min Ill by you dinner in College Station.

1.PAT no good and penalty is enforced on second half kickoff.
2.B's ball penalty enforced from the spot.
3.TD penalty enforced on ensuing kick off
4.Retry the kick.
5. First of all this penalty in this situation should never be called and secondly the PAT is good, game over A wins.
6.If A was illegally in motion they should have stopped the play.

whtfbplaya
10-11-2006, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Tweeder215
1.PAT no good and penalty is enforced on second half kickoff.
2.B's ball penalty enforced from the spot.
3.TD penalty enforced on ensuing kick off
4.Retry the kick.
5. First of all this penalty in this situation should never be called and secondly the PAT is good, game over A wins.
6.If A was illegally in motion they should have stopped the play.
1wrong
2wrong
3wrong
4 is right, but from where
5 I agree, BUT
6wrong

whtfbplaya
10-11-2006, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by STANG RED
I wouldnt bet the farm on it. But I'm fairly sure, if you block an extra point kick attempt, pick it up and return it for a score, you are only given 1 point, but it is called a safety.:confused:
Now if a team is going for a 2 point conversion, you force a fumble or int, pick it up and return it for a score, I'm not sure if you get 1, 2, or 6. :confused: :confused: :confused:

You get 2 points for returning it no matter what the other team is doing.

VAMike
10-11-2006, 08:30 PM
These are what scores are called and their value:
Touchdown — 6 Points
Field Goal — 3 Points
Safety (points awarded to opponent) — 2 Points
Successful Try:
Touchdown — 2 Points
Field Goal or Safety — 1 Point

What this means is that since only 1 team can score on a try, if they score by what would normally be a FG, they get 1 point. If they score by what would normally be a TD (i.e running back a blocked FG attempt or an intercepted pass or a fumble recovery for a "TD") they get 2 points for that "TD". And if one team ends up with the ball in their own end zone and a safety would normally be charged, then that safety will be worth 1 team to the opponent.

RMAC
10-11-2006, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by GATAPride77
No it is not a Safety. What you are describing is simply a touchdown on a try for the defense which is 2 points.

A Safety on the try is 1 point. Remember the Texas vs Texas A&M game in Austin two years ago? Blocked kick on the try, (illegal kick by Texas that was no called) and Aggie defender recovered the ball and then fumbled the ball back into his own endzone where the Aggies recovered, a safety on a try, awarding Texas 1 point.

Under most cases a safety is scored when the ball is dead in or behind the goaline of the team who last possessed the ball. There are also situations where a penalty in your endzone will result in a safety.

Wouldn't one of those situations be if the O-lineman was in the endzone and got a hold called on him?

VAMike
10-11-2006, 08:35 PM
It would, but on an extra point it is gonna be real hard to have a situation where an O-lineman is going to drift backwards 97 yards to get into his own end zone and then hold there.

whtfbplaya
10-11-2006, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by VAMike
It would, but on an extra point it is gonna be real hard to have a situation where an O-lineman is going to drift backwards 97 yards to get into his own end zone and then hold there.

We both know stuff like this happens.;)

LHPfactory
10-12-2006, 07:19 AM
Liberty Hill vs Hutto last year: Hutto makes touchdown and attempts Point After, kick is blocked. Casey Kocuiba (of all people to be in the perfect spot) catches the deflected kick takes it 100 yards to the house (like any one was gonna catch that boy in the open field). 2 points Liberty Hill.....!!!!:thumbsup:

AggieJohn
10-12-2006, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by GATAPride77

Under most cases a safety is scored when the ball is dead in or behind the goaline of the team who last possessed the ball. There are also situations where a penalty in your endzone will result in a safety. such a legal play, yet pissed me off so much

whtfbplaya
10-12-2006, 12:38 PM
VaMike- No attempt at the six question quiz?

RMAC
10-12-2006, 12:51 PM

Indeed.

VAMike
10-12-2006, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by whtfbplaya
VaMike- No attempt at the six question quiz? I thought you put that there for fans, players and coaches. You want a ref's answers???? OK, here ya be

PAT @ B3. The score is A22-B24. Time has expired in the first half. Team B intercepts Team A’s legal forward pass in Team B's end zone and advances to B's 20 where he is downed. During Team B’s run, a Team B player clips in B's end zone. PENALTY IS DECLINED BY RULE. PAT IS OVER. GO TO THE HOUSE. NO PENALTY ON 2D HALF KO

PAT @ B's 3. Team A has only six players on the line at the snap. The try is blocked behind the line of scrimmage. The ball never crosses the neutral zone. Team B picks up the ball on B's 10 and returns the ball across Team A's goal line. During Team B's run, a Team B player held @ B's 18 NO SCORE. TRY IS OVER. PENALTIES OFFSET AND SINCE 1 WAS AFTER CHANGE OF POSSESSION, RE REPLAY OF THE TRY

PAT @ B3, a Team B player intercepts a forward pass and has a clear field to the goal line when he makes an obscene gesture toward the nearest opponent. IF HE SCORES IT WILL NOT COUNT . THE 15 YARDS FOR THE UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT WILL BE ASSESSED ON THE KO.

LIVE BALL -DEAD BALL SO BOTH GET ENFORCED . NO POINT FOR A. PAT WILL BE REPLAYED FROM THE 6 1/2 YARD LINE.

PAT @ B's 3. The score is A27-B28. Time has expired in the fourth quarter. Team A runner takes a handoff, struts into Team B's end zone and is flagged. This unsportsmanlike act started before the runner crossed Team B's goal line. "COACH, YOU AIN'T GONNA LIKE THIS". TEAM A GETS TO KEEP THE 2 POINTS AS THE SCORE CAME BEFORE A CHANGE OF POSSESSION. THE GAME IS OVER. A WINS 29 - 28

PAT @ B’s 3. Team B defensive end intercepts Team A's legal forward pass and is downed on A's 40. During Team B's run, a Team B player clips. Team A was illegally in motion. Team B was offside. OFFSETTING FOULS TOOK PLACE BEFORE THE CHANGE OF POSSESSION SO DOWN WILL BE REPLAYED.

whtfbplaya
10-12-2006, 06:35 PM
I thought you put that there for fans, players and coaches. You want a ref's answers???? OK, here ya be

PAT @ B3. The score is A22-B24. Time has expired in the first half. Team B intercepts Team A’s legal forward pass in Team B's end zone and advances to B's 20 where he is downed. During Team B’s run, a Team B player clips in B's end zone. PENALTY IS DECLINED BY RULE. PAT IS OVER. GO TO THE HOUSE. NO PENALTY ON 2D HALF KO

PAT @ B's 3. Team A has only six players on the line at the snap. The try is blocked behind the line of scrimmage. The ball never crosses the neutral zone. Team B picks up the ball on B's 10 and returns the ball across Team A's goal line. During Team B's run, a Team B player held @ B's 18 NO SCORE. TRY IS OVER. PENALTIES OFFSET AND SINCE 1 WAS AFTER CHANGE OF POSSESSION, RE REPLAY OF THE TRY

PAT @ B3, a Team B player intercepts a forward pass and has a clear field to the goal line when he makes an obscene gesture toward the nearest opponent. IF HE SCORES IT WILL NOT COUNT . THE 15 YARDS FOR THE UNSPORTSMANLIKE CONDUCT WILL BE ASSESSED ON THE KO.

LIVE BALL -DEAD BALL SO BOTH GET ENFORCED . NO POINT FOR A. PAT WILL BE REPLAYED FROM THE 6 1/2 YARD LINE.

PAT @ B's 3. The score is A27-B28. Time has expired in the fourth quarter. Team A runner takes a handoff, struts into Team B's end zone and is flagged. This unsportsmanlike act started before the runner crossed Team B's goal line. "COACH, YOU AIN'T GONNA LIKE THIS". TEAM A GETS TO KEEP THE 2 POINTS AS THE SCORE CAME BEFORE A CHANGE OF POSSESSION. THE GAME IS OVER. A WINS 29 - 28

PAT @ B’s 3. Team B defensive end intercepts Team A's legal forward pass and is downed on A's 40. During Team B's run, a Team B player clips. Team A was illegally in motion. Team B was offside. OFFSETTING FOULS TOOK PLACE BEFORE THE CHANGE OF POSSESSION SO DOWN WILL BE REPLAYED.

Are you sure on number 2, I think I might have missed that one.

VAMike
10-12-2006, 06:52 PM
You got it right. The try is over . NO penalties enforced on KO

blackflag_74
10-12-2006, 07:10 PM
ok, here is how it goes down:

if a P.A.T. (kicked or played) is blocked, intercepted, or fumble recovered and returned to the defending teams endzone, this is classified as a 2-point touchdown, not a safety. however, if the defending team gains possesion of the ball, gets outside the endzone, and then loses the ball back into the endzone, the team attempting the P.A.T. recovers, the kicking team is awarded a 1-point safety. and the main reason of all of these confusing rules is because since this is not a timed play, it has its own set of rules.