PDA

View Full Version : NBA to crack down on players whining

Adidas410s
10-11-2006, 11:00 AM
Please make sure that this information is passed on to Ginobli, Duncan, and Parker. It probably wouldn't hurt for Antoine Walker and Rasheed Wallace to read it as well.

NBA promises zero tolerance for drama queens

ESPN.com news services

The NBA might have given its players something to complain about this season -- something other than the new basketball.

In an attempt to get players to curtail post-whistle whining, NBA referee representatives have made the rounds early in training camp to emphasize the league's zero-tolerance policy.

Commissioner David Stern, long fed up with players' histrionics over questionable calls, is threatening to hit them with quick technical fouls -- and later fines -- for those who curse, throw their hands up, or make other gestures that show disgust.

Rasheed Wallace, for one, told the Detroit News he took the league's crackdown personally.

"It's just another 'Sheed Wallace rule," Wallace, shaking his head, told the newspaper. "It just means I must be doing something right. Any time they change the rules of the game for one specific player, you must be doing something right."

The league's fine system, which was introduced last season, includes a $1,000 fine for each of the first five, $1,500 for the next five, $2,000 for the next five, $2,500 for the ones that follow, and, in addition, a one-game suspension for every other technical after the 15th.

"What happens if I am one of the captains?" Wallace asked the News. "Does that mean I can't talk to them? You can't talk back to them like they're your mom and dad. It's like they're saying, 'If you say something to me I am going to put you on punishment.' That's how it is. I will come up with some way to tell them how I feel."

Wallace was issued 16 technical fouls last season and a one-game suspension. It's reasonable to think, if referees consistently show zero tolerance, he could double that total.

"It'll be an adjustment for everybody in the league," the Heat's Dwyane Wade told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

Heat coach Pat Riley believes players will still be able to express their opinions to officials, but will have to police their body language and tone of voice.

"They are going to be very conscious of player complaining," Riley said last week. "That's one of the big things with them. Every call, there's always 10 guys complaining to the officials. They're just telling them to cut it out."

SintonFan
10-11-2006, 11:02 AM
BOO ON YOU ADDY!!!:mad:
Leave my Spurs out of it. They'll win the Championship this year.:clap:

pirate4state
10-11-2006, 11:14 AM
WHAT? This is the only reason I tune in. Too watch these guys cry like babies!!! :( Stupid David Stern! :mad:

KTJ
10-11-2006, 11:17 AM
This rule was probably made specifically for the Spurs and Kobe Bryant.

kaorder1999
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
or...better yet....almost ANY NBA PLAYER! They all whine, some just more then others

pirate4state
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by KTJ
This rule was probably made specifically for the Spurs and Kobe Bryant. Don't forget about the Mavs & Dirk & Cuban!!

Is Vlade Divac still playing? He'll be devasted by this rule if he is.

Maroon87
10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
They need to crack down on owners whining about conspiracy theories while they're at it.

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
i like that they are having a no whining policy. they are gonna get millions whether they win or loose, so it really doesnt matter. but did i miss something? a new basketball? when did this happen and what is the difference between this supposed new one and the old one?

SideBurnWillie
10-11-2006, 12:16 PM
Is this like the AJ clause? :thinking:

District303aPastPlayer
10-11-2006, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
This rule was probably made specifically for the Spurs and Kobe Bryant.

true.

Originally posted by bullfrog_alumni_02
i like that they are having a no whining policy. they are gonna get millions whether they win or loose, so it really doesnt matter. but did i miss something? a new basketball? when did this happen and what is the difference between this supposed new one and the old one?

its a synthetic blended ball, and like... its not panelled, its just two parts...

bullfrog_alumni_02
10-11-2006, 12:26 PM
that is stupid. what was wrong with the old one?

griff
10-11-2006, 12:39 PM
If these new rules were in place in the 80's, Danny Ainge would be bankrupt.

MagicMan
10-11-2006, 12:55 PM
heck yeah this is awesome...im tired of looking at duncan hugging the ball tight everytime he gets an offensive foul or someone plays good defense and alters his shot and he thinks thats impossible and wants the call so he whines...im so happy now

coach
10-11-2006, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by MagicMan
heck yeah this is awesome...im tired of looking at duncan hugging the ball tight everytime he gets an offensive foul or someone plays good defense and alters his shot and he thinks thats impossible and wants the call so he whines...im so happy now

i like it it gets annoying watching the spurs and dirk and kobe and all the other babies in the nba whine and i agree with the duncan hugging the ball he is such a baby

PHS Wildcats
10-11-2006, 04:18 PM
I hope Dirk get this memo:clap:

MagicMan
10-11-2006, 04:46 PM
im pretty sure duncan parker and ginobli are worse than dirk

Old Tiger
10-11-2006, 04:47 PM
Good they're a bunch of wussie cry babies.