PDA

View Full Version : Interesting UIL Overtime Rule

3afan
10-11-2006, 08:37 AM
Little-known rule rears its head
MacArthur earned two points against Irving to help tiebreaker scenario

11:49 PM CDT on Tuesday, October 10, 2006
By BRANDON GEORGE and RANDY JENNINGS / The Dallas Morning News

Irving MacArthur's 40-32 overtime victory against Irving in their District 7-5A opener Sept. 29 has shed light on a little-known UIL overtime rule that plays a part in the district's tiebreaker system.

After stopping Irving on its first overtime possession, MacArthur's Ron Brooks ran for a 12-yard touchdown to win the game.

Though the game had been decided, MacArthur wanted to attempt a 2-point conversion to improve his team's position in the district's "positive points" tiebreaker procedure. But Irving coach Jim Bennett didn't send his team on the field to defend the try.

Thus, the referee awarded MacArthur two points for the final margin of victory. In the Sept. 30 edition of SportsDay, the final score had been reported as a 38-32 MacArthur victory.

According to the 2006 UIL football rule exceptions listed on the Texas Association of Sports Officials' Web site (www.taso.org), districts using the "positive points" tiebreaker system can agree to play the otherwise meaningless try. The referee may award the points if the team on defense refuses to defend the try.

Head coaches must inform the referee before the game that the exception will be used. Otherwise, the game will be played under the NCAA tiebreaker system.

Irving ISD athletic director Joe Barnett said Bennett and MacArthur coach Brian Basil met with the referee before the game and agreed to use the exception.

Each UIL football district adopts its own tiebreaker rule to determine playoff berths if teams finish the season tied. Some districts use a plus-minus tiebreaker system, and others use only a "positive points" system that counts margin of victory in district games up to a certain number of points (14 in 7-5A). A few still rely on a coin flip. The plus-minus system counts margin of victory and defeat.

Barnett and Grand Prairie ISD athletic director Fred Clausen said they were unaware of the rule until the Irving-Irving MacArthur game brought the issue to light. Clausen said he believes most high school football coaches aren't aware of the rule.

injuredinmelee
10-11-2006, 08:46 AM
interesting. I did not know that.

kaorder1999
10-11-2006, 08:48 AM
its discussed at District Meetings...

Just Watching
10-11-2006, 09:16 AM
I've heard of that rule, but I've never heard of it actually happening. I wonder why the opposing coach wouldn't send his team out.
And, what would have happened, if on the 2-point conversion, the opposing team would have intercepted a pass and gone the other way with it. Would they have gotten 2 points? Doesn't change the game's outcome, but it would have an impact on potential tiebreaker.

Phil C
10-11-2006, 09:25 AM
Kind of unsporting of the defensive team to not at least try to stop the two point conversion on the spirit of competition factor. You owe it to other teams that might be affected by the points differential.

Adidas410s
10-11-2006, 09:27 AM
Originally posted by Just Watching
I've heard of that rule, but I've never heard of it actually happening. I wonder why the opposing coach wouldn't send his team out.
And, what would have happened, if on the 2-point conversion, the opposing team would have intercepted a pass and gone the other way with it. Would they have gotten 2 points? Doesn't change the game's outcome, but it would have an impact on potential tiebreaker.

Good question. The opponent receiving the 2 points is an NCAA rule...but according to this article it sounds like the coaches choose to use the optional UIL rules for overtime instead of the NCAA rules. I guess one would have to defer to the UIL manual on this one...

Old Tiger
10-11-2006, 09:28 AM
Interesting....:thinking:

18handicap
10-11-2006, 11:21 AM
That also happened at the Brazoswood / Pearland game. Pearland didn't defend the 2 point try, so it was awarded to B'wood.

Phil C
10-11-2006, 11:54 AM
Originally posted by 18handicap
That also happened at the Brazoswood / Pearland game. Pearland didn't defend the 2 point try, so it was awarded to B'wood.

But don't you think it kind of goes against the spirit of competition - especially when the points could hurt another team's chance to get into the playoffs based on points difference rules?

3afan
10-11-2006, 11:56 AM
not defending the try definitely violates the spirit of competition IMO

Just Watching
10-11-2006, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
But don't you think it kind of goes against the spirit of competition - especially when the points could hurt another team's chance to get into the playoffs based on points difference rules?

Definitely agree. What kind of message is it sending to the players?