PDA

View Full Version : Question About The Option

Old Tiger
10-11-2006, 06:02 AM
What is the G option? Mizzou coach mentioned in an interview on ESPNU that they run every option you can and he said G option. So it made me wonder what exactly it is.

PPHSfan
10-11-2006, 06:56 AM
The G option is when the QB,FB,and TB stand real close together. The center snaps the ball, and all three turn to face each other and then take off in different directions. Then everyone on the defense says Gee who's got the ball?

Adidas410s
10-11-2006, 08:26 AM
this is all I can find on it...

It is an option package that pulls the play-side guard to kick out the wide end.

It is done to counter defenses who widen out their defensive front to prevent the pitch man from getting to the edge.

Old Tiger
10-11-2006, 08:28 AM
Interesting...

GreenMonster
10-11-2006, 08:34 AM
The "G" is a Wing-T play where playside guard pulls to kick out the playside end and the playside tackle blocks down on the DT. It is a cross block. Opens up a nice hole too. Wonder who the QB is reading to determine pitch or keep??? LB maybe.

Ranger Mom
10-11-2006, 08:40 AM
I liked PPHSFan's defintion better!!:)

raider red 2000
10-11-2006, 08:45 AM
it might be the play that looks line zone Read option.

the QB is probably just reading the backside DE.

i would think that they OC called ZONE and the line just checks to a "G" based on alignment of the D-Line.

if the DT on the playside is a 3 or a B and is hard for the play side guard to reach with a zone step, then the PS Tackle blocks down on the 3 and the PSG can then "G" block the DE.

although I am not sure who gets the LB.....but what ever they were running seemed to work.

i guess is they had a TE on that side then they could have the TE block down on the LB.

GreenMonster
10-11-2006, 09:06 AM
Originally posted by raider red 2000
it might be the play that looks line zone Read option.

the QB is probably just reading the backside DE.

i would think that they OC called ZONE and the line just checks to a "G" based on alignment of the D-Line.

if the DT on the playside is a 3 or a B and is hard for the play side guard to reach with a zone step, then the PS Tackle blocks down on the 3 and the PSG can then "G" block the DE.

i guess is they had a TE on that side then they could have the TE block down on the LB.

True. Now the outside LB steps up and the QB reads him to determine pitch or keep. If the OLB scrapes too wide or is coming on too fast the QB can cut up inside of him and try to run through an arm tackle and if the OLB takes a clean route then the QB pitches. WR is blocking the corner and all that is left is the safety to make the play.