PDA

View Full Version : Giddings vs. Gilmer Fantasy Game

wimbo_pro
10-10-2006, 11:22 AM
A Giddings/Gilmer game would be a tremendous game. Giddings has an outstanding defense, some say the best in the state (Massey rates them the #1 defense). Gilmer has an outstanding offense, some say the best in the state (Massey rates them the #1 offense). Giddings offense is considered near the top in the state (#3), but Gilmer's defense is not rated nearly as tough (#26). Yes, Gilmer has scored more points and has more offensive yards than Giddings, but Giddings has had a much tougher schedule than Gilmer. So who wins? We won't know this year...Gilmer will be D1 and Giddings D2.

My guess on IF they played? In my opinion, it would come down to special teams and turn overs. Also, the saying "defenses win championships" might be true in this case. Based on this, I would have to bet on Giddings. But who knows?

Darren
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Let me start by saying I am a Giddings fan.

From the limited knowledge I have of Gilmer I understand that they are a great passing team and also have an above average running attack.
Giddings has a GREAT Defense and a GREAT rushing offense.

My opinion is it would be very tough for Giddings because of the balanced attack of Gilmer. Even though Hutto and Wimberley tried to stack the box to stop Giddings and it didn't work completely it did slow the attack down.

Like I said from the start I am a Giddings homer and because of this I would take Giddings by 3.

But I would imagine that the overwhelming majority would pick Gilmer (understandbly so).

I would love to watch the matchup but the only way that this has a possiblity of happening is if Caldwell and La Grange beat out Bellville and Navasota not likely.

Darren
10-10-2006, 04:13 PM
I guess no one cares about this hypothetical game.

wimbo_pro
10-10-2006, 04:16 PM
Maybe you're right...but at least it's football chat as compared to some of the other stuff seen on here!

Old Tiger
10-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Brock wouldn't be able to run away from those fast Gilmer DB's.

On another note Wimberely put up some big passing numbers on Giddings.

Gilmer has an awesome passing attack.

Gilmer 56
Giddings 28

pirate4state
10-10-2006, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by wimbo_pro
Maybe you're right...but at least it's football chat as compared to some of the other stuff seen on here! You know you like that "other stuff". :devil: :p

Darren
10-10-2006, 05:05 PM

Your right about the big passing yards from the Wimberley game 226 yards. Wimberley's passing yards in the next 2 games were 208 vS Dripping Springs, and 267 yards vs Liberty Hill. So they continued to pass for big yards vs some good teams.

I think that this would likely be Giddings down fall. But I do find it hard to believe that any team in 3a could hold Giddings under 21 points in a game.

lostaussie
10-10-2006, 05:12 PM
you might beat us but you better be prepared to score over 50:D. cause thats what it would take.

Old Tiger
10-10-2006, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Darren

Your right about the big passing yards from the Wimberley game 226 yards. Wimberley's passing yards in the next 2 games were 208 vS Dripping Springs, and 267 yards vs Liberty Hill. So they continued to pass for big yards vs some good teams.

I think that this would likely be Giddings down fall. But I do find it hard to believe that any team in 3a could hold Giddings under 21 points in a game. Most of that 226 was by one guy. Gilmer has 3-5 guys who are D1 type players.

wimbo_pro
10-10-2006, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
You know you like that "other stuff". :devil: :p

*evil*

Darren
10-11-2006, 10:24 AM
Well I guess we will never know for sure.

By the way how is Rockdale doing?

big daddy russ
10-11-2006, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Darren
From the limited knowledge I have of Gilmer I understand that they are a great passing team and also have an above average running attack.
Saying they have an "above average" running attack is like saying Michael Jackson is an "above average" weirdo. Junior Justin Johnson is the top junior RB in the entire NATION. He's already received offers from nine D-I schools, and he'll get to pick which of the 119 schools across the country he wants to attend. Is already rated higher than this year's number one, Georgia's Caleb King.

Originally posted by Tiger WR
Most of that 226 was by one guy. Gilmer has 3-5 guys who are D1 type players.
Twelve. They have five seniors already committed to D-IA scholarships, a couple more who may commit down the line, and a boatload of underclassmen... including one of the best RB's in the nation.