PDA

View Full Version : Best Current 3A Coach?

Bullaholic
10-09-2006, 09:15 PM
We haven't done this in a while---Who do you think is the best head football coach currently coaching in 3A right now? Why? Some new names on the rise out there right now in addition to some established names.

sweetwater07
10-09-2006, 09:18 PM
only one i know of...that is really good in region one...is Hugh Sandifer...he always has a plan and strategy for every tam he plays..may not have the most talented players but is always prepared for whoever he plays

wyliegrad04
10-09-2006, 09:34 PM
I'd have to second Sandifer ... not only a great coach, but a great man ... a great "father figure" to many many players every year ...

and then yea, he is a heck of a coach ... always has a great game plan AND puts that plan into action ... but of course Wylie has 23432048 assistant football coaches that do a lot of work too, and Sandifer would (and has) say that same thing, the assistants are amazing ... some of the assistants have been there for many many years ... Lang, Martin, Hibbits ...

Bullaholic
10-09-2006, 09:42 PM
How about Jeff Traylor of Gilmer if he takes the Buckeyes all the way to the DI title this season?

sweetwater07
10-09-2006, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
How about Jeff Traylor of Gilmer if he takes the Buckeyes all the way to the DI title this season?

they won't make it that far...lol

Txbroadcaster
10-09-2006, 09:49 PM
Traylor is one of the best whether they win state or not..he already has a title, and he won that when he switched his stud WR to qb, and alot of people thought that was a bad move. Well it turned out to be a great move

Adidas410s
10-09-2006, 09:57 PM
For now he's a lot like Cordell was at Gainesville. A very good record and a title to go with it...but 1) he's had all the talent in the world and 2) he doesn't have a lengthy history of success. To compare him to tenured coaches like Hooks, Sandifer, etc is hard to do due to "length of service."

Bullaholic
10-09-2006, 10:09 PM
I knew this thread would be controversial because, after all, what criteria do you use to determine the "best" coach? The only common standards for comparasion are W-L records and percentages, championships won, district titles and playoff appearances. Then you have the "intangibles" like leadership qualities and character building. It's a shame that we don't have a time machine and be able to give each of the top coaches the exact same players for a year or two and see who does the best. It's the classic argument of how much of a team's success is attributable to coaching, and how much to talent level. I wonder if the top coaches in programs with 200+ enrollment advantage would do as well in smaller 3A programs. But that is another discussion.

mrescape43
10-09-2006, 10:13 PM

I think that I could take the buckeyes all the way to the title with all the talent that they have. (Maybe Not) but who knows! :D

gold_33
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I know its being a homer but what Weldon Nelms has done to Wimberley is remarkable. We used to not even get mentioned with the top teams in the state and were usually the door mat for them but in the past four years he's turned this program around and made Wimberley a legitimate contender.

mr.leopard man
10-09-2006, 10:52 PM
Eddie Gill whitesboro.. turning a program like that around....

coach
10-09-2006, 11:10 PM
what about david haynes in fairfield???

gtownpoke
10-09-2006, 11:42 PM
Of course I'm a homer but I am going with Gilmer's staff. They work together better and harder then anyone I have ever been around and I have worked at 2 different colleges. Yes you can say it is easy to coach that well when you have that many athletes but look at what Gilmer was like before Traylor and Co. came along. They have instilled discipline and great fundamentals and are sending a lot of young men to big time programs.
When I left Gilmer I thought that kind of coaching was everywhere and then I got around other programs and realized how spoiled I was there. Im glad I got the oppurtunity to be around those men in high school because I can use that experience and be that much better when I get into coaching

Stownhorse
10-10-2006, 12:38 AM
Hugh Sandifer.....FERSHIZZLE

RMAC
10-10-2006, 01:07 AM
Sandifer.

Tweeder215
10-10-2006, 01:48 AM
The more programs I'm around really do make me appreciate what we have in Coach Jackson, the man is a freaking stud. I'm around coaches all the time from different places who, when they hear the name Kent Jackson, dont have enough good things to say about the man and that has got to stand for something to be that respected among your peers. I'm not saying he is the best in 3A but I will say that there is nobody else I would like to have on my side with the game on the line.

Tweeder215
10-10-2006, 01:50 AM
And Sandifer isn't half bad either ;) ;) ;)

bulldogman06
10-10-2006, 02:55 AM
Originally posted by gold_33
I know its being a homer but what Weldon Nelms has done to Wimberley is remarkable. We used to not even get mentioned with the top teams in the state and were usually the door mat for them but in the past four years he's turned this program around and made Wimberley a legitimate contender.

Thats not bein a homer, thats tellin the truth, that program has had a huge turnaround under coach Nelms

Old Tiger
10-10-2006, 03:07 AM
COACH FRAN WHEN HE GETS FIRED FROM A&M :D j/k

Crimestick
10-10-2006, 03:53 AM
Homer here...
Dan Hooks has been head coach at WO-S for more than 25 years and hasn't had a losing season since 1982 - in 5A, 4A or 3A. The three worst seasons since that year have been 5-5, 6-4 and 7-3, and those years were HUGE disappointments. He's earned two state titles, four finals appearances and the highest winning percentage of any school in Texas history. Last week, they re-named the stadium in honor of Coach Hooks - and he's still active.

bulldogman06
10-10-2006, 04:39 AM
That is very impressive

bobcat1
10-10-2006, 05:46 AM
Butch Ford @ Celina for what he does with kids, what he stands for as a Christian, and his record as a head coach. He would gladly pass the credit to his staff and the kids because that is how he is.

JR2004
10-10-2006, 05:52 AM
I'd say the best coaches are those who can take a team that has very little to average talent on it and make something out of it. Rick Wolf from West is a name that comes to mind.

He's been at West awhile and I remember broadcasting a couple of games over there at "The Hilton" in West and his teams have always played hard start to finish even though they were outmanned everytime I saw them. He's a really good guy from when I've spoke to him and other coaches in that area all seem to have very complimentary things to say about him when his name has been brought up. They're just 3 points away from being undefeated right now and that's an amazing accomplishment for them to be in that position. They might even give Kennedale a run for their money for the district title.

GreenMachine
10-10-2006, 06:32 AM
Originally posted by bobcat1
Butch Ford @ Celina for what he does with kids, what he stands for as a Christian, and his record as a head coach. He would gladly pass the credit to his staff and the kids because that is how he is. That is exactly what I would say about coach Reeve at Cuero. Truly a fine man who cares about the kids and helps them with lessons in life, far beyond the football field.

JT44
10-10-2006, 06:42 AM
Originally posted by GreenMachine
That is exactly what I would say about coach Reeve at Cuero. Truly a fine man who cares about the kids and helps them with lessons in life, far beyond the football field.

He's definitely put together a better program as a whole that Finley or Littleton. The two previous guys didn't pay much attention to anything but the varsity football program despite their title as "Athletic Director"

scotty
10-10-2006, 06:59 AM
He's not coaching today but as far as getting his kids to play way beyond their ability, the way he can attack a defense and his overall football savvy I haven't been around anyone like T.J. Mills. During his run in Sealy there were many times that the Tigers weren't the most talented athletes on the field but they won. He's an absolutely great organizer and despite all you may have heard 95 percent of the players loved him. He's also a very firey guy and that has caused him some problems. However, I'm talking about his coaching ability.

Pmoney
10-10-2006, 09:42 AM
i would say Traylor(Gilmer)....but i dont understand why everyone is saying how Sandifer is the best coach(im not saying he is a bad one) if he was as good as all of yall are saying why is he still at A. Wylie....no offense but if he was that good he would try to move up to a bigger school

coiled2strike
10-10-2006, 09:50 AM
Originally posted by Crimestick
Homer here...
Dan Hooks has been head coach at WO-S for more than 25 years and hasn't had a losing season since 1982 - in 5A, 4A or 3A. The three worst seasons since that year have been 5-5, 6-4 and 7-3, and those years were HUGE disappointments. He's earned two state titles, four finals appearances and the highest winning percentage of any school in Texas history. Last week, they re-named the stadium in honor of Coach Hooks - and he's still active.

but how many times has been involved in scandal...how many times have his teams been on probation for various violations...
i think that he is a great football mind, but the win at any cost attitude has definately tarnished his legacy...at least in se texas where i grew up...

Old Tiger
10-10-2006, 09:52 AM
G.A!!!!!! Best coach ever!:thumbsup:

Adidas410s
10-10-2006, 09:53 AM
Originally posted by Pmoney
i would say Traylor(Gilmer)....but i dont understand why everyone is saying how Sandifer is the best coach(im not saying he is a bad one) if he was as good as all of yall are saying why is he still at A. Wylie....no offense but if he was that good he would try to move up to a bigger school

So based on your theory, GA Moore wasn't a great coach or Gordon Wood wasn't a great coach. Yes those guys coached in 5A for a year or two...but it just wasn't for them. There are a lot of issues associated with running a 5A program and those just aren't for some people. It's why you see people that like middle management. Not everybody desires to be at my top. My boss has been at his position for over 20 years and I'm sure has passed up opportunities to move up the ladder. It's because he's comfortable with his current situation and has no desire to acheive greater things.

coiled2strike
10-10-2006, 09:59 AM
very good point...i grew up in a 1a school and currently coach in a larger 3a school...i could never imagine going any bigger...i could see myself(in a few more years) running a smaller program and being very content...and successful

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 10:08 AM

Sandifer gets dozens of offers every year. Some guys just want to stay in place. He has done a great job builidng a program. Sandifer rarely has the best athletes to work with. The team he took to the State Title was far from being great athletes but it was a group of kids that worked hard and he had them playing his style and his brand of SMART football. He challeges his teams with the schedule there are no lightweights on his schedule ever, unlike Snyder.
Nelms did a good job at IP too I thought. He has made Wimberly into a power with a group of kids that play tough!
Kent jackson is a top 5 coach in 3A in my opinion also!

Crimestick
10-10-2006, 01:01 PM
but how many times has been involved in scandal...how many times have his teams been on probation for various violations...
One time - using an ineligible player in 1992. There was no probation, just forfeited those games.

3afan
10-10-2006, 01:02 PM
kaorder1999 - Crandall :D

3afan
10-10-2006, 01:04 PM

evryone has their own goals in life .....

g$$
10-10-2006, 01:07 PM
I know the people in Sweeny are very happy to have Tommy Zajicek back after going into administration for a few years. Won his 104th career game last Friday night. Has the program running strong again in grades 7-12. Offseason program back in place too. Made the playoffs last year in 1st year back & looking good again. Playoff drought went back to 2001 before he returned.

Fine Christian man who runs a tight ship & cares about the kids. He & his staff deserve credit for putting Sweeny back on the 3A landscape. Sweeny will not be an easy win for anybody with Coach Z back at the helm.

lostaussie
10-10-2006, 01:23 PM
i was gonna stay out of this because it is basically a homer thread. but i can't any more. why would someone say that a coach is not the best just because he has not "moved on to bigger and better things". I don't know about Coach Sandifer, but i do know Coach Traylor. He is a hometown boy that is beloved by his community. He grew up here, he played football here, his parents live here, and his kids go to school here. He is a piller of the community and has done so much to bring a small town closer together. I'm sure he may have goals and ambitions, but maybe he feels it's not the right time to move on yet. Maybe he will be content staying here from now on. If he does Gilmer will be a power for years to come. Whatever he decides, it been a damn fun run:thumbsup: