PDA

View Full Version : Well well well....(NF)

Ranger Mom
10-09-2006, 08:06 PM
This is for all of you out there who criticized me and others for having AND enjoying a myspace----saying we were "too old", "trying to act like teenagers", yada yada yada!!! http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/neener.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/neener.gif

Youths No Longer Predominant at MySpace

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's not all youths on MySpace. Half of the site's users are 35 or older, according to comScore Media Metrix's analysis of its U.S. Internet traffic measurements. Only 30 percent are under 25 despite a common belief that the site is mostly populated with kids and young adults.

Just a year ago, teens under 18 made up about 25 percent of MySpace, the popular online hangout run by News Corp. That's now down to 12 percent in the comScore analysis released Thursday.

By contrast, the 35-54 group at MySpace grew to 41 percent in August, from 32 percent a year earlier.

"This analysis confirms that the appeal of social-networking sites is far broader," said Jack Flanagan, executive vice president for comScore, adding that the data suggest that social networking is becoming mainstream.

Sites such as MySpace encourage their users to stay in touch by offering tools such as message boards, photo sharing and personal profile pages. Members can expand their networks by adding other users as friends and, in turn, connecting with their friends.

The study was based on comScore's regular panels for measuring Internet audiences, rather than MySpace's registration information, where users often lie about their age.

ComScore also reported that MySpace had 56 million unique U.S. visitors in August, much less than the 100 million-plus registered users MySpace has worldwide. The company has said about 10 percent of its users are abroad. A better explanation for the gap is the fact that many people have multiple profiles, each counted separately by MySpace but not by comScore.

Facebook, meanwhile, had 15 million unique visitors, Xanga 8 million and Friendster 1 million, according to comScore.

Of the four social-networking services studied, Xanga skews youngest, with 20 percent of its users under 18 (though MySpace and Facebook both had more under-18 users overall given its larger size). Facebook, which started as a hangout for college campuses, had the biggest share among those 18 to 24. Friendster and MySpace had high appeal among the 25 and up.

Flanagan said the analysis shows each site occupying a slightly different niche, allowing all to coexist rather than compete.

"MySpace.com has the broadest appeal across age ranges, Facebook.com has created a niche among the college crowd, Friendster.com attracts a higher percentage of adults, and Xanga.com is most popular among younger teens," he said in a statement.

The numbers, however, do not reflect Facebook's recent relaxation of eligibility requirements. Before, users generally had to be part of a college or high school network, although some companies and organizations were later added. Starting last month, a user only needs a valid e-mail address.

SWMustang
10-09-2006, 08:50 PM
I bet the <35's are probably more active on myspace than their "more experienced" counterparts. Obviously I'm excluding Ranger Mom from that statement :D

Emerson1
10-09-2006, 08:52 PM
You're still old.

SWMustang
10-09-2006, 08:54 PM
why would you say something like that to Ranger Mom?:eek:

Bandera YaYa
10-09-2006, 08:54 PM
Ha ha.....ok, ok....so you aren't the ONLY one "too old" to be on myspace.... :D :D:;)

luvhoops34
10-09-2006, 10:10 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
This is for all of you out there who criticized me and others for having AND enjoying a myspace----saying we were "too old", "trying to act like teenagers", yada yada yada!!! http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/neener.gif http://www.buzzlife.com/forums/images/smilies/neener.gif

Youths No Longer Predominant at MySpace

NEW YORK (AP) -- It's not all youths on MySpace. Half of the site's users are 35 or older, according to comScore Media Metrix's analysis of its U.S. Internet traffic measurements. Only 30 percent are under 25 despite a common belief that the site is mostly populated with kids and young adults.

Just a year ago, teens under 18 made up about 25 percent of MySpace, the popular online hangout run by News Corp. That's now down to 12 percent in the comScore analysis released Thursday.

By contrast, the 35-54 group at MySpace grew to 41 percent in August, from 32 percent a year earlier.

"This analysis confirms that the appeal of social-networking sites is far broader," said Jack Flanagan, executive vice president for comScore, adding that the data suggest that social networking is becoming mainstream.

Sites such as MySpace encourage their users to stay in touch by offering tools such as message boards, photo sharing and personal profile pages. Members can expand their networks by adding other users as friends and, in turn, connecting with their friends.

The study was based on comScore's regular panels for measuring Internet audiences, rather than MySpace's registration information, where users often lie about their age.

ComScore also reported that MySpace had 56 million unique U.S. visitors in August, much less than the 100 million-plus registered users MySpace has worldwide. The company has said about 10 percent of its users are abroad. A better explanation for the gap is the fact that many people have multiple profiles, each counted separately by MySpace but not by comScore.

Facebook, meanwhile, had 15 million unique visitors, Xanga 8 million and Friendster 1 million, according to comScore.

Of the four social-networking services studied, Xanga skews youngest, with 20 percent of its users under 18 (though MySpace and Facebook both had more under-18 users overall given its larger size). Facebook, which started as a hangout for college campuses, had the biggest share among those 18 to 24. Friendster and MySpace had high appeal among the 25 and up.

Flanagan said the analysis shows each site occupying a slightly different niche, allowing all to coexist rather than compete.

"MySpace.com has the broadest appeal across age ranges, Facebook.com has created a niche among the college crowd, Friendster.com attracts a higher percentage of adults, and Xanga.com is most popular among younger teens," he said in a statement.

The numbers, however, do not reflect Facebook's recent relaxation of eligibility requirements. Before, users generally had to be part of a college or high school network, although some companies and organizations were later added. Starting last month, a user only needs a valid e-mail address.

Us "old folks" on myspace need to stick together! Thanks for posting RANGERMOM!

Ranger Mom
10-10-2006, 08:52 AM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Ha ha.....ok, ok....so you aren't the ONLY one "too old" to be on myspace.... :D :D:;)

My "attitude" keeps me young! :p

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 08:55 AM
i dont use mine anymore but it was fun while it lasted. Tell em all to KYA RM!

piratebg
10-10-2006, 08:58 AM
I don't have a myspace. The misses does, but not me. I never took the time to set one up.

Ranger Mom
10-10-2006, 09:08 AM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
i dont use mine anymore but it was fun while it lasted. Tell em all to KYA RM!

I don't live on it like some of the younger ones do....but I certainly don't think I'm "too old" to have one!!

I have caught up with several high school friends on there....so it's worth it to me!!

CenTexSports
10-10-2006, 09:33 AM
RM, you are at a point in your life where you need to find a hobby. Gardening, bridge, golf, etc. I have heard that there are even women that rent vehicles and take cross country trips for sorted reasons with men that are not their husband.

Ranger Mom
10-10-2006, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by CenTexSports
RM, you are at a point in your life where you need to find a hobby. Gardening, bridge, golf, etc. I have heard that there are even women that rent vehicles and take cross country trips for sorted reasons with men that are not their husband.

Lemme see....I DO garden! I don't play bridge....but I was introduced to a new card game on THE road trip!!:eek:

I think golf is the most boring game to ever be invented, so why would I even want to do that??

I read at LEAST one book a week, usually two. I attend at LEAST one football game a week.

I sew, do all kinds of arts and crafts, play the piano, poured concrete this weekend and started crocheting a baby blanket, AND helped my son redo the floor in his house AFTER I shampooed all his carpets......oh yeah, I kill the occasional rattlesnake from time to time also.

If I take up anymore hobbies I will have to give up sleep!!

By the way....my husband WAS invited to come along to Alabama, he was the one who declined. He knew 3 of the 4 who went and thought I would have a great time if I went.....so I DID with his blessing!!

I know TOO many people who are around my age who "give in" because they are 40+ and it's "what is expected"...well, I have always been a rebel, so I refuse to to give in to that....no sense in "acting" old until I FEEL old!!:p :p :p

coiled2strike
10-10-2006, 11:21 AM

Ranger Mom
10-10-2006, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
i'm afraid many of the "older" ones are searching for the "youth" on my space...but not our rm

The majority of my "friends" on myspace are from THIS board!!:D :D

Then I have my kids, some relatives and some old classmates!!

Speaking of which, I guess I should check it, I haven't done so in a couple of days!
:cool:

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by coiled2strike
I disagree. It is a good tool to keep up with people that you greew up with and now live all the way across the country. i say the kids formed it and us Old Folks perfected it.

JasperDog94
10-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Half over 35? Wow! That's a lot of child predators.;)

(It's just a joke.)

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2006, 11:29 AM
I don't live on it like some of the younger ones do....but I certainly don't think I'm "too old" to have one!!

I have caught up with several high school friends on there....so it's worth it to me!! Catching up with old friends is good...carry on!!!! :) :)

Ranger Mom
10-10-2006, 11:36 AM
Catching up with old friends is good...carry on!!!! :) :)

Thanks for your blessing!!:D :D

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 11:37 AM
Thanks for your blessing!!:D :D

wow so much nicer than I would have been.

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2006, 11:42 AM
wow so much nicer than I would have been. Well she's a nice person....... :p :p :D

3afan
10-10-2006, 11:46 AM
i've never even see a myspace page - i dont think :nerd:

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 11:47 AM
Well she's a nice person....... :p :p :D

and probably not sick and tired of your need to make comments on others actions or choices. Its the bravado in which you pass moral judgements with your catty comments that bugs the hell out of me.

Ranger Mom
10-10-2006, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by 3afan
i've never even see a myspace page - i dont think :nerd:

All your kids have one!!:D :D :D

3afan
10-10-2006, 11:54 AM
dang - I need to pay more attention!

Bandera YaYa
10-10-2006, 12:37 PM
and probably not sick and tired of your need to make comments on others actions or choices. Its the bravado in which you pass moral judgements with your catty comments that bugs the hell out of me. .Oh shoot...guess it's only me that can't state my opinions....watch it, you're starting to drool......meowwwww!!! :kiss:

injuredinmelee
10-10-2006, 12:51 PM
See my whole problem with you is the way you lecture people. You cant make comments without insuting someones intelligence or their morals. You do it constantly. It is condescending and very unflattering. I assure you i am not the only on that feels this way but the only one willing to make the comment to you. can even take you back to the thread that opened my eyes to your holier-than-thou attitude.

the drooling part whatever, I reckon that was the only thing you could come up with that saved face.