PDA

View Full Version : UT must be careful with Baylor!

Phil C
10-09-2006, 02:56 PM
Those in Austin please keep encouraging and helping our team stay focused. Keep up the cheering.
I don't want to alarm UT fans but Baylor is going to be tough. Let me tell you some history. In 1964 after UT's National Championship the year before we played Baylor and were heavy favorites but were fortunate to win 20 - 14 on a late 4th quarter td. Then in 1970 we had a long win streak going and were defending National Champions but Baylor was tough again and we won 21 to 14. We were heavy favorites in that game. What was scary is that Baylor had one long td pass that was called back by a penalty. Then late in the fourth quarter they had the ball at our 6 yard line but were not able to score. If they had scored and gone for 2 points with their personel they would have had a good chance. And in our National Championship year in 1963 they almost scored at the end of the game that we won by only 7 - 0.
So we must not underestimate Baylor. We beat them bad last year and they are very upset and mad. Remember they beat a good Colorado team in OT so now they are confident. Remember this Colorado team played UT in the Big 12 Championship game last year and this game was close for a while there.

So we must stay focused and composed but also confident.

What is also risky is that they have a great former UT player Bill Bradley coaching the defense. And don't forget his year our volleyball and soccer teams were fortunate to win those close games.

But if we are careful and play as capable we can win this game so don't panic yet. But please stay focused and careful and keep your composure.

Adidas410s
10-09-2006, 03:02 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
So we must not underestimate Baylor. We beat them bad last year and they are very upset and mad. Remember they beat a good Colorado team in OT so now they are confident. Remember this Colorado team played UT in the Big 12 Championship game last year and this game was close for a while there.

:clap: :clap: :clap:

Bullaholic
10-09-2006, 03:03 PM
"UT must be careful with Baylor"---You mean as in.....don't "hurt" them too badly, Phil? :D

Phil C
10-09-2006, 03:09 PM
Another thing is that in the Big 12 Baylor is right with us at 2 - 0!

Very scary indeed.

But do not despair. If we play as we are capable we can win the game UT fans. Just stay cautious and careful and calm.

I sure wish I could be at this game.

sahen
10-09-2006, 03:12 PM
Go Bears!

Phil C
10-09-2006, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by sahen
Go Bears!

sahen is showing confidence!! :eek:

That increases the risk factor even more.

sahen
10-09-2006, 03:42 PM

That increases the risk factor even more. nah phil, im just trying to fire us up so we can stay within 30 by they half...this will be the first game all year that we are behind at the half and it will forsure be a blowout by then....

AggieJohn
10-09-2006, 03:50 PM
I wonder if this is Phil's way of being supersitious....he does the opposite.....ya know like the week that Texas played OSU, he probably posted a post saying "Texas should roll over Ohio State"

AggieJohn
10-09-2006, 03:52 PM

That increases the risk factor even more. that's the funniest post of the day

Odis
10-09-2006, 03:55 PM
I don't know what in hale he's doing but it's stupid!!!

UT could be playing the Maine School of Deaf, Dumb, and Blind Kids and Phil would be on here with a stupid "Longhorns have to be careful!"

You're killing me, smalls!!!!

Bull Butter
10-09-2006, 05:09 PM
Don't forget 1978, when the 2-8 Bears hosted a 7-2 Sun Bowl-bound Texas team in Waco. Unheralded Mickey Elam led the Bears to a 38-14 rout over the Horns.

Or how about 1980, when the Bears blanked Texas 16-0 on their way to an undefeated SWC Championship?

And who could ever forget 1974, when Baylor dethroned six-time SWC Champ Texas 34-24 on their way to the "Miracle On the Brazos"!

Ah, the good old days of Grant Teaff!

Old Tiger
10-09-2006, 05:44 PM
*bites nails*

WestTXLonghorn
10-09-2006, 07:27 PM
Definitely bringing my camera to the game so I can get pictures of the Baylor bear. That thing is really cute looking!:)

Emerson1
10-09-2006, 07:29 PM
Phil I took some of your stuff somewhat seriously, but when you say Colorado is good, you crossed the line. You are now on the same level as carter08

JR2004
10-09-2006, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Bull Butter

And who could ever forget 1974, when Baylor dethroned six-time SWC Champ Texas 34-24 on their way to the "Miracle On the Brazos"!

Ah, the good old days of Grant Teaff!

One of the pastors at my church played on that team (The head pastor played there too, but I don't think he made it there until the following season.) and started on the defensive line if memory serves me correct. He doesn't talk about it too much, but if you ask him about it he's got some good stories from that game as well as that season.

CueroDad2006
10-09-2006, 08:42 PM
Let me know if you find "ANYONE" who will agree with you and your numbers..........LOL
Texas
Baylor

Those in Austin please keep encouraging and helping our team stay focused. Keep up the cheering.
I don't want to alarm UT fans but Baylor is going to be tough. Let me tell you some history. In 1964 after UT's National Championship the year before we played Baylor and were heavy favorites but were fortunate to win 20 - 14 on a late 4th quarter td. Then in 1970 we had a long win streak going and were defending National Champions but Baylor was tough again and we won 21 to 14. We were heavy favorites in that game. What was scary is that Baylor had one long td pass that was called back by a penalty. Then late in the fourth quarter they had the ball at our 6 yard line but were not able to score. If they had scored and gone for 2 points with their personel they would have had a good chance. And in our National Championship year in 1963 they almost scored at the end of the game that we won by only 7 - 0.

So we must stay focused and composed but also confident.

What is also risky is that they have a great former UT player Bill Bradley coaching the defense. And don't forget his year our volleyball and soccer teams were fortunate to win those close games.

But if we are careful and play as capable we can win this game so don't panic yet. But please stay focused and careful and keep your composure. [/QUOTE]

sahen
10-09-2006, 10:27 PM
there is no way we score 24 points, the most we have scored in regulation is 20 and that was against army....(im not counting the D1-AA school)...we lose 42-0

WestTXLonghorn
10-09-2006, 10:41 PM
The Bears are much improved over past squads they've fielded. Still, the Texas defense proved that it was for real on Saturday and the Bears aren't known for their explosiveness on offense.

UT-35
Baylor-7

Will be nice to see Baylor go on and probably rack up a few more wins in the Big 12. They definitely have a shot at knocking off both Tech and ATM.

sahen
10-09-2006, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by WestTXLonghorn
The Bears are much improved over past squads they've fielded. Still, the Texas defense proved that it was for real on Saturday and the Bears aren't known for their explosiveness on offense.

UT-35
Baylor-7

Will be nice to see Baylor go on and probably rack up a few more wins in the Big 12. They definitely have a shot at knocking off both Tech and ATM. maybe OSU too, they lost to k-state...but i doubt it, we will just get everyone's hopes up (the past 2 weeks) and then destroy them as we finish out the season, atleast we tied our season high in big 12 wins already..

kepdawg
10-09-2006, 11:19 PM
I heard Mack was trying to see if before Saturday he could get Baylor kicked out of the Big 12 in favor of TCU! :rolleyes:

JR2004
10-10-2006, 04:22 AM
Baylor has improved enough this season to merit being called mediocre so I think I'll go with this prediction...

Texas 70
Baylor 6

Bell should be good enough to get them a couple of field goals in this barn burner!

Phil C
10-10-2006, 08:04 AM
Originally posted by Emerson1
Phil I took some of your stuff somewhat seriously, but when you say Colorado is good, you crossed the line. You are now on the same level as carter08

Thank you Em. It is always good to be able to take a step forward.

;) :)

Phil C
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Originally posted by JR2004
One of the pastors at my church played on that team (The head pastor played there too, but I don't think he made it there until the following season.) and started on the defensive line if memory serves me correct. He doesn't talk about it too much, but if you ask him about it he's got some good stories from that game as well as that season.

JR I admire the Baptist Church.

Old Tiger
10-10-2006, 08:05 AM
Thank you Em. It is always good to be able to take a step forward.

;) :) :thinking: :confused:

Phil C
10-10-2006, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
I heard Mack was trying to see if before Saturday he could get Baylor kicked out of the Big 12 in favor of TCU! :rolleyes:

FROGWASH!!

:mad:

87 TIGER
10-10-2006, 12:58 PM
Phil c colorado is not a good team & yes it is the same team Texas beat I think 70-0in the Big 12 Championship I dont remember it being close.
Bull Butter, big upsets in 74, 78, & 80 dont really care that was like a quarter century ago
Texas wins BIG 42-7

Bull Butter
10-10-2006, 03:22 PM
Tiger, my heart is broken because you dont care:weeping:

My post wasn't for you anyway, it was an addition to Phil's tongue-in-cheek reflection on past Texas-Baylor matchups.

87 TIGER
10-10-2006, 03:26 PM
if you post on here its for anybody and everybody
hey, its just for fun anyway

Adidas410s
10-10-2006, 03:36 PM
Definitely bringing my camera to the game so I can get pictures of the Baylor bear. That thing is really cute looking!:)

BEWARE OF THE HOWLING BEAR!!! :mad:

sahen
10-10-2006, 04:08 PM
i seriously doubt the bear will be there, i dont think it travels anymore we had heck trying to just get it to home games a couple years ago....we can thank PETA for that nonsense...

Phil C
10-12-2006, 02:14 PM
Another thing we have to consider. Did you know that 82 years ago we played our first game ever in Memorial Stadium against Baylor on 11-08-24? We lost 28 to 10. This increases the risk this week. Very scary indeed.

JHS_c/o_06'
10-12-2006, 02:26 PM
I'll be at the game....right below the Godzillatron....its great seats when the offense is coming towards you.

texasjeremy
10-12-2006, 02:51 PM

Now I wouldn't say Colorado is good, but they are not as horrible as their 0-6 record would indicate, the only bad loss they have had this season was the season opening loss to Montana State, other than that they have played nothing but good teams and lost close games to them. This team still has the athletes, remember this is the team that was in the Big 12 Championship game last year and they returned 14 starters from that team, difference is there is a new coaching staff in Boulder. Don't be surprised if they win a few down the stretch.

Phil C
10-13-2006, 03:04 PM
Did you know in 1953 we played Baylor and had already lost three games and Baylor came into the game with a perfect 6 - 0 record and looking like it was going to challenge for the MNC? They were favored to win by up to 2 tds. It didn't look good but a determined UT team won 21 to 20 which ruined the Bears' Season. No doubt the Baylor team will be wanting revenge for that also. We must be ready. Baylor is dangerous and mad. Scary business indeed.