PDA

View Full Version : Rio Hondo's Dynamic Duo

footballgal
10-09-2006, 02:19 PM
Dynamic Duo

Robbie Mesa & Aaron Garza have Rio Hondo rolling

By ARMANDO GARZA
armandog@valleystar.com 956-421-9874

Though many locals have known just how good Aaron Garza and Robbie Mesa are for some time. Both are fast becoming household names in Rio Grande Valley high school football. The statistics speak for themselves: Six games played, 1,537 yards and 30 touchdowns between them — with district play still to come. But besides sharing touchdowns, glory and success with the Rio Hondo Bobcats, both young men share a friendship and mutual respect that by far outweighs any statline.
Firm friendship
“We’ve been friends since playing at the Boy’s & Girl’s Club when we were little,” Mesa said. “We were about 6 or 7 years old.” Being in the same backfield has been just as rewarding as being friends, both explained. “It’s something you can count on, that he’s gonna be there and make the right decisions,” Mesa, 17, said of Garza.
“We know what each other is gonna do and what we’re capable of,” Garza, 17, said. “It makes it easier.”
Rio Hondo coach Gus Cavazos said the two have been a pleasure to coach and added that the rest of the Bobcats are proud and happy to see the duo succeed.
“They’ve grown up together,” he said. “I think it’s helped. They’re friends, they genuinely like each other and they get along well.
“They get excited for each other. When Robbie does well, the team is happy for him. When Aaron does well, the team is happy for him, too,” he continued. “There isn’t any animosity (from the team) that they’re getting a lot of attention.
“They’re extremely coachable. They don’t have big heads,” Cavazos said. “You can tell them what to do and they’re not gonna question it. We changed our offense to a different scheme last year and they never questioned it.”
Out of the shadows
Both players have been at the varsity level since their sophomore seasons, and both had to bide their time while upper classmen helped Cavazos establish his program.
For Mesa, teaming with fellow running back/linebacker Ryan Garcia was not only successful, but proved to be a worthwhile experience for the budding star.
“It’s been tough because when Ryan was there, we had three people,” Mesa said. “It’s kinda the same like last year because of Aaron, but it was easier with three backs than it is with two.”
Mesa had a bulk of the carries in 2004 when Garcia went down with an injury. Cavazos said each year Mesa improved and then his defining moment came last season.
“As a junior, he got bigger and faster and better,” Cavazos said. “He really stepped up when Ryan went out against Hidalgo last year and he did a great job for us.”
Against Hidalgo last season, Mesa stepped in and took over when Garcia rolled an ankle. After his first score against the Pirates, he ran to the sidelines and hugged Garcia.
“He took over the leadership role for the team,” Cavazos said. “He and Ryan were very good friends and they’re still real good friends.”
He would finish that game with 104 yards rushing and two touchdowns, and he chipped in another 71 yards receiving and another score.
Mesa was masterful from then on out. In all, Mesa accumulated 1,300 yards en route to being named the Offensive Player of the Year in District 32-3A.
Garza, meanwhile, waited behind Caleb Flores his sophomore year. He was the starter last season and made the most of his time, throwing for nearly 600 yards and nine touchdowns.
Ever the steady hand for the Bobcat offense, Garza may not be the biggest player on the field, but he plays with a reckless abandon that few players can match.
“I feel way more comfortable, we have more trust in our (offensive) line,” Garza said. “It makes things a lot easier.
But he still likes to run.
“I’ve always liked running,” he added. “I feel comfortable when I roll out. The passing game opens up the running game a little bit more.”
Cavazos said Garza has persevered by earning the starting job and he became a much better quarterback despite carrying more of a rushing load.
“Aaron was in a battle for the job last year, and by the time we hit our main (district) season, Aaron took over,” he said. “I think Hidalgo was his coming-out party last year.
“This year, we’ve asked him to carry the load a bit more with running.”
Besides the ground game, Garza’s thrown for 441 yards and four touchdown passes on the year as the Bobcats have opened up the passing game just a bit more.
Motivation
After making the playoffs by winning the school’s first district title since 1973, the first playoff win soon followed.
Rio Hondo blasted Orange Grove 28-0 at Kingsville’s Javelina Stadium last year to move on to the area round where they met up with the powerful Ingleside Mustangs. Novices to the second round of the playoffs, the Bobcats were eliminated 38-19 by the Mustangs and it left a bitter taste in the team’s mouths, including its two offensive stars. Mesa was huge in the game, however, rumbling for 256 yards and two touchdowns. But it wasn’t enough. “There was jitters, but not as much because it was late in the season and we had a lot of confidence,” Mesa said. “I thought we played decent, we just froze up and gave the game away,” Garza added. The game against Ingleside served as a source of motivation to do better this year. “We want to meet up with Ingleside again,” Mesa said. “We definitely won’t be happy just to be there. We want to pass that round,” Garza added.
Lasting Legacy
Being a part of Rio Hondo’s 2005 district champion team will always be special, the twosome said. Last year’s 21-20 win over Port Isabel at Bobcat Stadium earned the Bobcats the 32-3A title and one of the goals they had set was finally crossed off the list. “When they missed that extra point and the game was over and we won district last year, that was awesome,” Mesa said. “We felt all the pressure just relieved off our shoulders.” As they chase another district crown, their coach said their work ethic alone is a precedent that has been set for future Bobcats — on and off the field. “I think that they’re tremendous workers,” Cavazos said. “They set a great example.” Off the field, Garza hits the books as hard as he hits the weights. “Aaron is ranked number one in his class and he may be valedictorian,” Cavazos said. “He also worked hard in the weight room in the offseason and in the summer.” When posed with the question of what type of legacy they’ll leave behind, Garza paused. “No more Friday nights,” Garza said. “All the memories… It’s gonna be hard when we go off to college and never see each other again and never play football together again, Mesa said jokingly. “I don’t like that question,” Garza said. A lot of the Bobcat fans and staff probably feel the same way.

http://epaper.valleystar.com/Repository/getimage.dll?path=VMS/2006/10/08/17/Img/Pc0170500.jpg

Gabe Hernandez / Valley Morning Star Rio Hondo running back Robbie Mesa (31) and quarterback Aaron Garza are two of the main reasons the Bobcats are rolling this season at 6-0 and

SintonFan
10-09-2006, 02:31 PM
Video highlights of them and the defense:
Robbie Mesa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_EaTwObewE)

Aaron Garza (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ko3hE1bd3I&feature=PlayList&p=15F7C49212438722&index=0)

defense (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4afqstPBBk&NR)
Good videos.:cool:

pirate4state
10-09-2006, 02:47 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
Video highlights of them and the defense:
Robbie Mesa (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_EaTwObewE)

Aaron Garza (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ko3hE1bd3I&feature=PlayList&p=15F7C49212438722&index=0)

defense (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J4afqstPBBk&NR)
Good videos.:cool:

Thanks for those links!! :clap: That #53 gets around!!

luvhoops34
10-09-2006, 03:04 PM
Thanks for the article about Rio Hondo football!