PDA

View Full Version : State Playoff Facilities(teehee)

sinton66
06-07-2002, 04:59 PM
OK Matt, you had your chance, so here goes. How about we get the State to cough up a chunk of the nearly billion dollars they've raked in from the lottery and go buy a big piece of Austin property, then build us a WORLD CLASS multiple venue facility that can host the final four from every conceivable high school competition that declares a state champ, athletic AND academic. Football, Baseball, Softball, Soccer, Track, Golf, Swimming, Tennis, One-Act play, Academic Decathelon, Problem solvers, Debate, FFA, jacks and/or tiddly-winks. I think we ought to start a movement, then slowly progress toward a ground swell. Why before we know it, we just might have a cause!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 07, 2002).]

eye of the tiger
06-07-2002, 05:35 PM
Sinton66 with the money a site like that would bring in, it seems like even the city of Austin or even Travis County would provide money or tax incentives or something. All the students and parents and fans that would converge on Austin represent big bucks. Resturants and hotels would stay full. There would be something going on in the complex all year long practically. Interesting idea.

sinton66
06-07-2002, 07:49 PM
Yea, and the income from parking, concessions,ticket sales, and so forth would help offset and maybe pay the operating expenses. Any profit left over could go right back into the school fund. Best part, the UIL sets the rules we play by, but would have ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the operation of this complex. UT and other Texas colleges could use it, but only as second bananna to high schools. In fact, I'd give control to the State School Board who would hire a GOOD facilities manager. Could sell placard ads on the fences, lots of things.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 07, 2002).]

sinton66
06-07-2002, 10:13 PM
Come on folks! We want you to respond, not just view it!

SintonFan_inAustin
06-08-2002, 01:40 AM
What? More traffic to a place that doesnt need anymore. How bout San Marcos as a location or Round Rock. Get Nolan Ryan Behind it and it will happen.

SintonFan
06-08-2002, 04:12 AM
Hehe, SintonFan_inAustin have you been reading the Corpus paper? I do agree that if you get Nolan Ryan involved, you could make a Panama Canal starting from Port Isabel to the Baja coast. LOL, too much fun!

sinton66
06-08-2002, 10:00 AM
Valid point, but if the State Tournament just HAS to be played in Austin.....Personally, I'd rather it be someplace else. San Antonio would do nicely.
Rather see the money go to something worthwhile for the schools than in somebody's pork-barrel. Teachers will never see a penny of it.

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 08, 2002).]

sinton66
06-08-2002, 11:01 PM
To tell the truth, there's nothing that says this has to be done in Austin. It could be anywhere towards the center of the state. Another idea would be to do a rotational schedule between Austin, San Antonio, Houston, and Dallas. Even that would be preferred over the present situation.

sinton66
06-09-2002, 03:15 PM
And now that the ice is broken on this subject, I'll throw my final pitch befor e letting fate takeover. Once this facility is completed, how much harder could it be to put on a successful bid to host the Summer Olympics?

hsguru
06-10-2002, 10:55 AM
I believe that a facility like this would be great, but to move it from Austin would be a bad idea. Austin is really a central location for most everyone in the state. To move these events to SA would make a trip from the panhandle even further for say the Panhandle teams. Moving it to Houston or Dallas also causes travel concerns. San Antonio, well dont ge me started on SA. It would be a great place to visit, but my gosh have some civic pride and clean that place up. It looks run down and you get the feeling that no one cares.

sinton66
06-10-2002, 01:09 PM
Admittedly, Austin is the logical choice for its central location, plus that's where the lawmakers are so they would be more inclined to do this in Austin than anywhere else. I know of a certain Sinton fan that would probably nominate Pflugerville. Bastrop, Marble Falls, San Marcos, any of these would be ok, except that the hotel/motel room situation would be critical to the success of a venture like this.

Old Cardinal
06-10-2002, 02:18 PM
Why not rotate the event to a different Region each year. Therefore, more Texans could be exposed to the State Playoffs, this way. Why not add girls softball to the events being played.....For Region IV, in Beaumont, we have just completed 24 fields in two complexes a few miles apart...We have good fields close at hand for both Baseball and Softball. As you may know, each year we host the AFA Girls Softball-National Championship. Tommy Voss's efforts have brought quality programming for 190 teams at one event for (18 and under Softball teams) -I know that an Event such as we are talking about would be very feasible at some location in each Region. Boy, I am ready to pack my bags and head to the first one.

Old Cardinal
06-10-2002, 02:22 PM
Sorry, I meant Region III, in the previous post.

sinton66
06-10-2002, 04:41 PM
The rotational idea is one that has bounced around for years, and I always thought it was a good one, but nothing has ever come of it. It would definitely be preferred over the current situation. I just really like the idea of a "super" facility. If it was run correctly, it could actually make money for the school fund. Thanks for responding, Old Cardinal, and good to hear from you!

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 10, 2002).]

Swarm 51
06-11-2002, 01:24 AM
I, too, like the idea of a centralized location for championship games. However, I suspect the majority of our underpaid teachers would protest feeling the money to build the facility could fit much better in their personal bank accounts. And, even though I love Texas high school football, I would have to agree with them. Speaking of locations, was traveling through Round Rock three weeks ago and was amazed at all of the new hotels that have been built. That could be an ideal place for a championship stadium.
Since Round Rock is the home of Dell Computers perhaps Michael, himself, would make a contribution!!

sinton66
06-11-2002, 08:10 AM
Honestly, for this to even have a snowball's chance, we HAVE to include academic competitions. Strictly sports won't fly. I agree with those of you who support teacher pay raises, I have two teachers in my family, and a third family member working for another school district in their computer system. All that said, I doubt teachers or any other school project/activity will EVER see any of the proceeds from the lottery. Despite whatever you've heard, the lottery was/is intended to put money into the State's general fund only.The money is then allocated by the legislature. Admittedly, this is much preferred to a State Income tax. Ann Richards said the money "could" be used for the schools(if the legislature sees fit to do so). Quite frankly, I think it's past time they did!
I have corresponded with the Comptroller's office about using the lottery money for the schools, and got "it's not a dependable enough source of funding"(Double talk for shut up and go away).

[This message has been edited by sinton66 (edited June 11, 2002).]

sinton66
06-12-2002, 08:17 AM
Anybody know how to do an electronic petition for something like this? Matthew, you have any ideas?